Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

Holy crap, I was just browsing Sean Hannity's twitter feed, and his audience has gone absolutely ballistic on Benghazi:

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/322882658784927745

The tweet had nothing to do with Benghazi by the way.

The problem with conditioning your audience to believe that boogeymen are under every rock is that eventually they'll believe those boogeymen are literally everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Minorities posted:

Yep. That sarcastic little remark was definitely the worst part. And yes it was racist as hell because those people think that only black people (and the occasional poor white guy who might as well be black anyway because he's poor) make hip-hop music.

Or it was a sarcastic remark by a white lady who knows she is about to spit some of the saddest bars to ever be spat. Everyone is laughing because it is so loving terribly awkward, not because of black people.

Edit:VV Lil Wayne's whole crew is fascinatingly bad

Miltank fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 15, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Miltank posted:

What is it that allows Drake to be a rapper, but not Vinnie Paz?

Lil Wayne's complete lack of taste.:v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Miltank posted:

Or it was a sarcastic remark by a white lady who knows she is about to spit some of the saddest bars to ever be spat. Everyone is laughing because it is so loving terribly awkward, not because of black people.

Welp, that about wraps it up. Miltank said it's not racist so there's no reason to talk about it anymore. Thanks Miltank! :)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Minorities (btw, I find your name extremely offensive), why do you have to be so sarcastic and cynical?

We all know that Fox News is fair and balanced. It even says so in the advertisements.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Gentlemen, gentlemen, perhaps we can forge some middle ground: nerdcore can be the absolute wackest thing without being inextricably racist.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Hear, hear my good man. Nerd-core is hella raunch.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 15, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There are undoubtably white rap acts that aren't serious and might, if you're feeling particularly sensitive, be construed as offensive. Practically none of them are very popular or well known because no one who cares about it so little is going to have the dedication to the craft.

Dismissing an entire genre of music on the basis of someones skin color or the content of their music is dumb as poo poo and you should feel bad about it. If it sucks come up with a better loving reason than "the only reason a white person would rap is to be ironic about not being black". It's words to a beat, if you want those words to be about nintendo, game of thrones or the planet pluto, it's all the same thing.

loving Action Bronson is hot as poo poo right now and he's constantly rapping about expensive gourmet food. Yelawolf is whiter than Eminem ever was and raps about being a hillbilly and he's guesting on ASAP Rocky and Big Boi albums. You can't turn a radio to a half-way popular station without hearing a lily-white rear end in a top hat rapping about going to a Seattle thrift shop. No ones clutching their gold chains and crying that these guys are being sarcastic racists, but if it's a white person rapping about something nerdy it's a problem?

And what about Deltron 3030, the quintessential nerd rap masterpiece, made by a black person?

You're dumb. Stop talking about music.

I literally put Deltron 3030 at the very front of my rant, Dan Nakamura(AKA Dan the Automator) and Eric San(AKA Kid Koala) are the two Asian musicians I mentioned. I mentioned Macklemore too, the middle class white kid from Seattle. The point I was trying to make is that if nerdcore rappers knew poo poo about rap, they would realize nerds and white people are already accepted as part of the main stream and not think they have to carve out their own subgenre separate from the rest of rap and hip-hop, they'd try to join into the rest of the scene because if "Swag swag, got Death Note swag/That anime swag put a nigga in a bag" doesn't get you laughed out of the genre, then your skills should be able to carry you no matter how nerdy your lyrics are(okay, I guess maybe not if you rap about loving lolis or something). That's why I said they're pushing that message unintentionally, they're just too ignorant of rap for the most part to realize that if they raised their game, they wouldn't have to pin themselves to the nerdcore label.

EDIT: I don't even know why I jumped into the nerdcore derail, nerdcore has nothing to do with whether or not the Dana Perino rap was being used by Fox to perpetuate stereotypes or not.

Warcabbit posted:

I got the rest of them (and was trying to figure out if I should say something about how Professor Macklemore is the world's most Pacific Northwest-est rapper ever, man) but I'm blanking on this, it's probably incredibly obvious but...

That's Deltron 3030. Also they need to hurry the gently caress up and release the second album already, it's been 13 years. :argh:

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 15, 2013

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

rap concept album about a space marine in a mech suit leading a proletarian revolution against an interstellar dystopian corporatist government using cyberwarfare and the power of hip-hop broke into the Billboard 200 and the Top R&B/Hip-Hop chart, and two of the three members of the group that made it were Asian.

I got the rest of them (and was trying to figure out if I should say something about how Professor Macklemore is the world's most Pacific Northwest-est rapper ever, man) but I'm blanking on this, it's probably incredibly obvious but...

E: F, New Page. Right, Deltron 3030. Missed that when it came out, promptly forgot all about it. Guess what I'm gonna pick up tonight.

Edit: Hey, the sequel is finally coming out this spring! Awesome twice!

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 15, 2013

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A lot of music can be bad without mocking the music style it's emulating.

Was working on some stuff at a church today and they had Glenn Beck playing. He was talking about how the government is planning on registering all the gold people own and how China is forcing the price of gold down (but it won't stay down for long) because they want to destroy our economy. Then after his commercial break, which consisted entirely of things like Lifelock, life insurance, titanium backup, and other things you should be scared of, came back to say that a friend's uncle down in Texas was visited by the ATF. They wanted to come into his house and make sure he wasn't making guns, and they also gave him a lie detector test to make sure he wasn't.

I don't understand how people can listen to this poo poo all day long.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The political off-season is terrible.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Was working on some stuff at a church today and they had Glenn Beck playing. He was talking about how the government is planning on registering all the gold people own and how China is forcing the price of gold down (but it won't stay down for long) because they want to destroy our economy.

Did he give any explanation for why it would destroy our economy? Lower gold prices would actually be a boon for the sectors of industry that use gold for parts, gold mining isn't a major contributor to our GDP and the goldbugs never stop whining about how we're off the gold standard. I'm curious if there was any greater rational then 'the lovely investment I duped you into is crashing, but it's them drat yellow foreigners at fault.'

cafel fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 15, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe he meant World of Warcraft gold and Chinese gold farmers.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope this is an ok thread for this and I apologize if it's not but it pissed me off and I wanted to make sure other people were pissed too.

quote:

Bob Davis had some heinous things to say to victims of those impacted by gun violence during Friday's installment of AM 1130's Davis & Emmer show.

Here's a full transcript, followed by the raw audio (the transcribed portion begins around 6:20):
[DAVIS] And here's the other thing that drives me crazy. They trot out the victims. And I have something I want to say to the victims of Newtown, or any other shooting. I don't care if it's here in Minneapolis or anyplace else. Just because a bad thing happened to you doesn't mean that you get to put a king in charge of my life. I'm sorry that you suffered a tragedy, but you know what? Deal with it, and don't force me to lose my liberty, which is a greater tragedy than your loss. I'm sick and tired of seeing these victims trotted out, given rides on Air Force One, hauled into the Senate well, and everyone is just afraid -- they're terrified of these victims.

[EMMER] Well they're being used -- they're being used...

[DAVIS] I would stand in front of them and tell them, 'go to hell.'

[EMMER] It's probably one of the worst, ah, political stunts you could do is to use the victims of the tragedy.

[DAVIS] And they fall for it every time!

[EMMER] Well, you know what, they're in a bad place, Bob.

[DAVIS] I don't care!

[EMMER] I understand, but you have to understand that these people might not realize until years later that they've actually been pawns of these political charades when it comes to issues like this.

[DAVIS] But someone has to tell them: Listen, I realize you have a problem. I realize you're a victim. But that doesn't entitle you to take my liberty. Why can't we just say this?

Apparently these guys have a show on AM radio. It's pretty sickening.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Seoinin posted:

Gentlemen, gentlemen, perhaps we can forge some middle ground: nerdcore can be the absolute wackest thing without being inextricably racist.

This. It's generally very bad, but that has nothing to do with the content or their skin color. And if being bad at your music genre means you're offending the originating race then bad garage rock bands from here to China owe black bluesmen hella reperations.

And I missed your 2nd post 400, sorry about that. There's a track from Deltron event 2 streaming somewhere out there but I think it's been available for a year so who knows if it's still official.

I promise I'm done.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Ape of Naples posted:

I hope this is an ok thread for this and I apologize if it's not but it pissed me off and I wanted to make sure other people were pissed too.

Jesus Christ what an absolute shitlord. Hey Bob, how much liberty do those dead kids have?

Pijonsnodt
Jul 14, 2012

quote:

Deal with it, and don't force me to lose my liberty, which is a greater tragedy than your loss.

Jesus Christ.

From their Facebook page:

Jesus Christ.

e. Their non-apology:

quote:

[DAVIS] Yes, we're getting some email regarding comments I made Friday on the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting tragedy, and ah, here's what you need to know and what some of you already know about me is that, ah, this is not a contrived show, I do not hide behind flowery language I do not pull my punches ah, when I'm passionate about something it comes out on the air, it's real and it will always be that way. Ah, you may not agree with what it is, but you know what I say to you is what I'm thinking, and I'm telling you that's how it is. It might provoke some thought for you, ah, it might not, but ah, I'm gonna say what I think and I'm going to say what I feel.

What I said Friday was an emotional predecessor to a thought which can and will find a more refined expression by me and others in the future, I guarantee you. But this isn't a newspaper or a magazine and we don't filter our views or commentary before we say it, it is radio, it's immediate, it can be emotional both in its immediate expression as well as its response. It's unrealistic, I think, to expect a compete filter for anybody doing live media. Ah, Bob, what's his name? Bob Beckel, for example [Emmer laughs]. Um, but there are those who would silence the opposition in their desire to have their way, majority rule not withstanding. We all have the right to express our opinions on any subject. I've made it clear that the shooting was a couple months ago or more, and it was a tragedy for all involved, we grieved and many people grieved together.

It's critical that people who have suffered a tragedy are able to speak and it's understandable that they would wanna, you know, dedicate their lives to the memory of their children. But it's also critical that our constitutional rights are protected. And here's the point in this: What's really at stake is the insecurity because of the loss of natural rights to defend ourselves from criminals as well as the encroaching power of the state. And it's important to look at the broad ramifications that this legislation might have on liberty and security and refrain from pushing it through by parading around victims or overestimating their credibility in policy preferences just because they're victims. Victims should not be exploited, it does not help them grieve, it does not help us grieve, and it does not advance the cause of liberty. But they are, and so they become public personalities and part of the political arena and so be it and we'll leave it at that.

[EMMER] Well, thanks for that. I appreciate the entire line of thought, Bob, but that one statement -- 'You should never use the victims of a tragedy for your political gain.' It's bad form, beyond bad form.

Pijonsnodt fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 15, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Ape of Naples posted:

I can't recall who Davis is, but Tom Emmer came about a cat's asshair away from being governor of Minnesota back in 2010.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Princeps32 posted:

Several real human beings that live on the same planet as everyone else think motherfucking Sean Hannity is sucking up to Obama. That just blows my mind. I mean I know there's a growing number of people that think Fox News is centrist, but seriously?

It warms the cockles of my heart to imagine the slowly dawning horror on the faces of Hannity and others at Fox News as they realize that a sizable portion of their viewer base is in fact completely insane, and will not be following them down a more "moderate" path that they hope will lead Republicans back to the White House (even though it's really just trying to dress up the usual bigoted tropes in a nicer set of clothes); and instead are insisting that Fox News is part of the "liberal media" because they do stuff like criticize Michelle Bachmann and "refuse" to report on the "obvious" "scandal" that is Benghazi. :allears:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I like how they don't consider being murdered a loss of liberty

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Eliminating life and freedom of movement are not as important as property.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

Eliminating life and freedom of movement are not as important as property.

Welcome to the Republican Party. :smugdog:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That loving mountain of vile filth was spewed on Friday's show. On today's show, Davis offered up a non-apology:

quote:

[DAVIS] Yes, we're getting some email regarding comments I made Friday on the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting tragedy, and ah, here's what you need to know and what some of you already know about me is that, ah, this is not a contrived show, I do not hide behind flowery language I do not pull my punches ah, when I'm passionate about something it comes out on the air, it's real and it will always be that way. Ah, you may not agree with what it is, but you know what I say to you is what I'm thinking, and I'm telling you that's how it is. It might provoke some thought for you, ah, it might not, but ah, I'm gonna say what I think and I'm going to say what I feel.

What I said Friday was an emotional predecessor to a thought which can and will find a more refined expression by me and others in the future, I guarantee you. But this isn't a newspaper or a magazine and we don't filter our views or commentary before we say it, it is radio, it's immediate, it can be emotional both in its immediate expression as well as its response. It's unrealistic, I think, to expect a compete filter for anybody doing live media. Ah, Bob, what's his name? Bob Beckel, for example [Emmer laughs]. Um, but there are those who would silence the opposition in their desire to have their way, majority rule not withstanding. We all have the right to express our opinions on any subject. I've made it clear that the shooting was a couple months ago or more, and it was a tragedy for all involved, we grieved and many people grieved together.

It's critical that people who have suffered a tragedy are able to speak and it's understandable that they would wanna, you know, dedicate their lives to the memory of their children. But it's also critical that our constitutional rights are protected. And here's the point in this: What's really at stake is the insecurity because of the loss of natural rights to defend ourselves from criminals as well as the encroaching power of the state. And it's important to look at the broad ramifications that this legislation might have on liberty and security and refrain from pushing it through by parading around victims or overestimating their credibility in policy preferences just because they're victims. Victims should not be exploited, it does not help them grieve, it does not help us grieve, and it does not advance the cause of liberty. But they are, and so they become public personalities and part of the political arena and so be it and we'll leave it at that.

[EMMER] Well, thanks for that. I appreciate the entire line of thought, Bob, but that one statement -- 'You should never use the victims of a tragedy for your political gain.' It's bad form, beyond bad form.

Good for you, Bob! Way to back him up, Tom! I assume those dead kids can still go to hell because you can't buy an assault rifle?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

watt par posted:

Welcome to the Republican Party. :smugdog:

Which is so hosed they were founded on the opposite principal. That yeah in fact property is not as important as other things sometimes.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That guy who blew his brains out at the NRA 500 was liberating himself ftom the tyranny of other people.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"The tree of liberty must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of children. Actual chirldren. ahahahahaa i'm a beast, jerry, a fuckin animal." - Thomas Jefferson

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

That loving mountain of vile filth was spewed on Friday's show. On today's show, Davis offered up a non-apology:

Good for you, Bob! Way to back him up, Tom! I assume those dead kids can still go to hell because you can't buy an assault rifle?

I enjoy seeing some "unfiltered" GOP views sometimes as opposed to the sanitized talking points. A real window into the soul of the party, right here.

Hey, rest of the world, if the GOP doesn't continue its long slide into obscurity would you kindly nuke the poo poo out of us? Think of it as putting us out of our misery. It would be cruel to us to just watch it continue.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

"but that one statement -- 'You should never use the victims of a tragedy for your political gain.' It's bad form, beyond bad form."

:ironicat:

Surely that's blatant enough doublethink to cost them a few listeners with proto-critical thinking skills.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

cafel posted:

Did he give any explanation for why it would destroy our economy? Lower gold prices would actually be a boon for the sectors of industry that use gold for parts, gold mining isn't a major contributor to our GDP and the goldbugs never stop whining about how we're off the gold standard. I'm curious if there was any greater rational then 'the lovely investment I duped you into is crashing, but it's them drat yellow foreigners at fault.'

No explanations, just that we can't negotiate with them because they own so much of our debt and they're planning on crashing our economy for some reason. Like, they don't even care that theirs would crash too, they're just that spiteful.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They created an imagined problem though. In the same year nerdcore got started a rap concept album about a space marine in a mech suit leading a proletarian revolution against an interstellar dystopian corporatist government using cyberwarfare and the power of hip-hop broke into the Billboard 200 and the Top R&B/Hip-Hop chart,

What nerdcore and things like this Fox "rap" do is create a false perception that hip hop and rap are anti-intellectual and hostile towards anyone who isn't black. While with nerdcore it's probably more out of ignorance, with previous Fox shenanigans such as their attacks on Common, I think it's naive to talk about this as them just joking around.

What is the name of this album I have to listen to this.

I also always thought that white guy rapping with "My name is _____ and I'm here to say" was always a joke about older (white) people being out of touch with younger people and minorities. Context being everything when I hear conservatives do it or make fun of rap it does come off as being racist. Nerdcore is just awful, it doesn't help most of the performers if we can call them that just make lame music.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

No explanations, just that we can't negotiate with them because they own so much of our debt and they're planning on crashing our economy for some reason. Like, they don't even care that theirs would crash too, they're just that spiteful.

Also, please continue to ignore that "so much" is <10%.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

KomradeX posted:

What is the name of this album I have to listen to this.

Again, Deltron 3030. It will change your life.

Edit: Doesn't count I was answering a question hahahaha.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also, please continue to ignore that "so much" is <10%.

There's that, and the fact that if the Chinese really did go batshit insane and decide to try to crash our economy, we'd just slap restrictions on how they can jack us around or even nationalize the debt if it got bad enough.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If anyone is wondering it took Alex Jones less than 5 hours to declare the Boston Marathon bombing a false-flag attack. Piece of poo poo non-human.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Nobody was wondering that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
oh, christ. White rapper de-rail. I take it back.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If anyone is wondering it took Alex Jones less than 5 hours to declare the Boston Marathon bombing a false-flag attack. Piece of poo poo non-human.

I wish the cops would haul his dumb rear end in for questioning every time he does this poo poo since he "clearly" has inside information.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Does anyone know the Jones rant that was combined with an epic soundtrack that I think has been posted in this thread of the old GBS thread before. And no, it didn't involve the crazy gun rant, all I can find on google is drat dubstep remixes of things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Amused to Death posted:

Does anyone know the Jones rant that was combined with an epic soundtrack that I think has been posted in this thread of the old GBS thread before. And no, it didn't involve the crazy gun rant, all I can find on google is drat dubstep remixes of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqUk28OwHs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
That wasn't it, it was like a 3 minute or so thing, I don't even think it was on youtube, some kind of split screen thing where both the music and jones video played at the same time, but that one is still :allears: