Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I'm sad that I missed it, I was really looking forward to it.

When I first set out to do voice work, I thought that I just needed to work on issues things like pacing, enunciation, emoting, and controlling distance / approach to the mic. What I didn't know was how much time I would also have to spend on audio production and editing, as well as writing ad copy :smith:

This quarter I'm part of a student consulting group that is developing marketing and business plans for a couple of local non-profits. I wrote and voiced something for one of them, and I'd like some feedback on it.

Please note: I'm not asking for help with my homework, this was not an assignment but my own initiative. I know that the performance and technical quality are not pro quality, and I'm not really asking about the read (although you're welcome to comment on that too). What I'm more interested in is if the language and phrasing works. Does it sound like a real ad?

Fake edit: Additional voices: my daughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

titties posted:

I'm sad that I missed it, I was really looking forward to it.

When I first set out to do voice work, I thought that I just needed to work on issues things like pacing, enunciation, emoting, and controlling distance / approach to the mic. What I didn't know was how much time I would also have to spend on audio production and editing, as well as writing ad copy :smith:

This quarter I'm part of a student consulting group that is developing marketing and business plans for a couple of local non-profits. I wrote and voiced something for one of them, and I'd like some feedback on it.

Please note: I'm not asking for help with my homework, this was not an assignment but my own initiative. I know that the performance and technical quality are not pro quality, and I'm not really asking about the read (although you're welcome to comment on that too). What I'm more interested in is if the language and phrasing works. Does it sound like a real ad?

Fake edit: Additional voices: my daughter

Sounds pretty good! Since you seem to know what you are doing, I did some nitpicking. Hope you don't mind, I can't help myself - I have been a professional copywriter for the past 7 years and I love to tinker.

My suggestions:

Change the line
"Things like getting outdoors, spending time with your family, and that special feeling that comes with building something from scratch."
to
"Things like getting outdoors, spending time with your family, and discovering that special feeling that comes with building something yourself."

That way you have gettING, spendING, and discoverING, and it sounds a little nicer. Also, I didn't like "from scratch" but that's a personal preference.

Change the line
"...along with raised gardening boxes and our very own hoop-house. As well as a full range of tools and equipment to raise your own totally organic fruits and vegetables. "
to
"along with raised gardening boxes and our very own hoop-house. We also have a full range of tools and equipment that you can use to grow your own totally organic fruits and vegetables. "

This will just smooth it out and keep it from being a "this, and this, and this. And this" kind of list.

Also, I would change "environmentally-responsible" to "environmentally-friendly", because responsible sounds like less fun. :-)

Finally, I would change your CTA from this:

"To learn more about the Cornerstone Community Garden and its sponsors, to become a sponsor, or to reserve a gardening plot, contact Badonna Davis at 555-555-5555. "

to
"If you want to reserve a gardening plot, learn more about the garden and its sponsors, or become a sponsor yourself, then contact Badonna Davis at 555-555-5555."

That way, you put your main hook (reserving a gardening plot) first, and it flows a bit better.

Anyhow, hope this wasn't too nitpicky. Sounds good - good luck!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
:frogsiren: PROJECT FOR GOONS :frogsiren:

I got $20 for whoever can cleanly rip out all vocals from this song and send me the music bed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UoChk5pZIQ

It's for a personal project, and yes, I'll share it when I'm done. Running on a tight schedule though and there's no way in hell I'd be able to reconstruct the music bed and finalize the script by sat (and do final recording on sun). My method would be sitting down at the piano and writing out each note by trial & error, which is super retarded. That's why I need your help!

I'm off to work but I'll try to check back late tonight or tomorrow afternoon. If someone knows they can do it, deadline is saturday (tomorrow) night.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

The Joe Man posted:

:frogsiren: PROJECT FOR GOONS :frogsiren:

I got $20 for whoever can cleanly rip out all vocals from this song and send me the music bed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UoChk5pZIQ

If I can find a good quality copy somewhere tonight, I'll give it a shot.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SaviourX posted:

If I can find a good quality copy somewhere tonight, I'll give it a shot.

That's the only copy you'll find but if you're unable to rip the video (I use a handy program called Youtube Downloader which even has an option to just rip the sound), I can upload the .mp3 tomorrow afternoon when I get back to my place. If you're confident you can do it though, keep me updated. Tons of poo poo to do tomorrow which is why I need a hand.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Welp, I'm no engineer, but I can almost eliminate Randy's voice.

BUT the backing vocals are mixed right into the music, so it will take someone more skilled than I to get rid of them.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SaviourX posted:

Welp, I'm no engineer, but I can almost eliminate Randy's voice.

BUT the backing vocals are mixed right into the music, so it will take someone more skilled than I to get rid of them.

That's alright man, thanks for the effort. Think I'll have to reconstruct the music from scratch somehow. Hopefully can find a simple virtual keyboard or something so I can do it while listening ad nauseum.

EDIT: Managed to cobble something together. Was hoping to finish it tonight but hopefully it'll go up soon.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 15, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

What's the opinion about the at2020 USB?

It's a really nice microphone hampered by the stupid USB interface. It's fine if you never want to monitor yourself in realtime as you record. Of course, that's totally unacceptable to me - I have to hear myself in realtime otherwise how will I know how the performance is going?

Other than that, it's a nice entry-level mic that has a good sound for vocals. I went and bought its all-analog brother eventually.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

CuddleChunks posted:

It's a really nice microphone hampered by the stupid USB interface. It's fine if you never want to monitor yourself in realtime as you record. Of course, that's totally unacceptable to me - I have to hear myself in realtime otherwise how will I know how the performance is going?

Other than that, it's a nice entry-level mic that has a good sound for vocals. I went and bought its all-analog brother eventually.

Yeah I actually have both, but no sound interface for the time being.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

It was just too terrible, I took it down. Maybe I'll revisit it when I have time to do it right.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 16, 2013

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
New demo found.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ishamael posted:

Sounds pretty good! Since you seem to know what you are doing ...

This may mean more to me than you realize. I'm a complete amateur at every aspect of this, so I appreciate that.

Ishamael posted:

I did some nitpicking. Hope you don't mind, I can't help myself - I have been a professional copywriter for the past 7 years and I love to tinker ... hope this wasn't too nitpicky. Sounds good - good luck!

I generally tell people that they're free to be as critical and / or harsh as they want. You're probably not going to hurt my feelings, because I hate everything I record and post. I never feel like it's good, and am always a little embarrassed to have posted. What I'm getting at is that even if you think it's terrible you probably don't think it's as terrible as I do.

With all that being said, I don't think you were nitpicking. Everything you suggested makes sense and has a clear purpose behind it, and your help will be valuable to me in the rewrite.

I appreciate specific feedback like this. The things you told me might have represented weeks of effort for me to figure it out for myself. Also, I feel like more specific feedback means that I'm not making as many glaring / common mistakes. Thanks again.

If anyone else would like to have a go, Ishamael was critiquing this:

While I'm mostly interested in what people think of the language, I am always happy to get a critique of my read as well.

CuddleChunks posted:

I have to hear myself in realtime otherwise how will I know how the performance is going?

I'm a poopy USB mic-haver, so I've never monitored myself. It's probably obvious once you can do it so please forgive me, but how does listening in real-time with headphones differ from the way we hear ourselves in real-time all the time anyway?

titties fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 15, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

titties posted:

I'm a poopy USB mic-haver, so I've never monitored myself. It's probably obvious once you can do it so please forgive me, but how does listening in real-time with headphones differ from the way we hear ourselves in real-time all the time anyway?

The microphone and how you interact with it is an instrument. You can get super duper close and quiet and it gives your voice a PRESENCE or you can lean way back and go batshit crazy. At the end of the day, your recording levels all look fine because you're able to monitor things in your headphones and hear the effect you're having as it happens, not after the fact. Plus, if you have any live effects going on, hearing them as they occur is super helpful.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

titties posted:

With all that being said, I don't think you were nitpicking. Everything you suggested makes sense and has a clear purpose behind it, and your help will be valuable to me in the rewrite.

I appreciate specific feedback like this. The things you told me might have represented weeks of effort for me to figure it out for myself. Also, I feel like more specific feedback means that I'm not making as many glaring / common mistakes. Thanks again.

Cool - glad I could be of some assistance. Good luck with the finished product!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'd be grateful for any feedback on my reading of (my own) story, here. The intended accent is the posh end of Kiwi, with a chipper 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' inflection, I guess you'd call it.

I dislike the very end so I'm going to rerecord the last couple of lines, hopefully I can get the quality to match better than it does here.

stachatoryR
Aug 9, 2004
Guys I run a lovely little web radio station for my friends and I. Over the past couple of years it has turned into a fun little hobby. In the past, I have used various text-to-speech programs/websites to make jingles and whatnot, but they are getting stale and I need some fresh stuff to make me happy.

So I am going to ask any of you guys to lend your velvety voices (ladies too!) to what is hopefully a quick and fun little project with some potential to repeat. I am essentially going to let you record whatever the hell you want to say as long as you say the station name at the end. I want to take your recording and be able to mix it to make jingles.

Here are the only two examples without copywrited music under it that I could find that I have done for the station before (using text-to-speech):
(NSFW: Explicit Words):

Here is the form from the OP:
Length: Open
Due: Open
Notes: Email me rt2damax at gmail dot com or PM to discuss if you are interested.
Script: None in particular
Pay: I don't have much to give, and I hate paypal but we can work something out.

edit: ramble on

stachatoryR fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 19, 2013

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Did my first bit of voice acting for a uni assignment! Loved it!

Re-dubbed the whole video - all the foley and sound track the lot. Great fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxNC265hvi8

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

Did my first bit of voice acting for a uni assignment! Loved it!

Re-dubbed the whole video - all the foley and sound track the lot. Great fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxNC265hvi8

This is the best.

Starship Arcadia
Dec 31, 2009

Winter is fine, but I hate summer.

The Joe Man posted:

You & you, hop to it.

Well jeez, fine. (I might have forgotten about this thread for a few months. This might be fashionably late.)

But here it is!

If anyone can give me tips on not having a terrible 's', I will gladly accept them.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

Starship Arcadia posted:

Well jeez, fine. (I might have forgotten about this thread for a few months. This might be fashionably late.)

But here it is!

If anyone can give me tips on not having a terrible 's', I will gladly accept them.

Hydrate yourself, and this sounds gross, but swish around some olive oil in your mouth.

There are also some exercise to do with a cork in your mouth sometime. I'll see if I can dig those up.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Just a small plug - a game I did VO work for is now available for PC (or you can download a free trial). I did all the zombie and human noises in the game, and it was a lot of fun. (I didn't have anything to do with the little intro cut-scene).

http://tinyurl.com/ccq33xn

Starship Arcadia
Dec 31, 2009

Winter is fine, but I hate summer.

Winter is Cuming posted:

Hydrate yourself, and this sounds gross, but swish around some olive oil in your mouth.

There are also some exercise to do with a cork in your mouth sometime. I'll see if I can dig those up.

I tried the olive oil thing- oil pulling isn't too new to me, since my mother is an insane hippie, but this is my first time trying it. I never knew how much I disliked straight olive oil, yeesh. I try to drink more water, because I don't remotely drink anywhere near enough. I guess that is another reason to add to the pile. V:shobon:V

Thanks, I can't wait to try the exercises!

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Stinkmeister posted:

A huge thank you to blinkeve1826 for holding an informative and inspiring seminar! I strongly recommend that you join one if you get a chance.

This was just about forever ago--well, no, I guess only three weeks? Wow. It seems like a lot longer as these past few weeks have just been this swirling abyss (but a good abyss) of working, teaching, classes, auditions, filming, and what semblance I had of a regular sleep schedule absolutely demolished by Tribeca Film Festival these past few weeks. But I wanted to thank YOU for watching and for participating! For those of you who missed it, it's up on my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/listentomelanie - it's one of the only things I've ever uploaded so it shouldn't be too hard to find). It's LONG, though--to hear Stinkmeister's read and my feedback/adjustments, skip to 2:03:20 (we work together for about ten minutes). Most of you will also benefit from hearing the other two reads, one directly before and one directly after this, as all three readers make some mistakes that a lot of beginners tend to make.

It was definitely a learning experience for me--if it wasn't obvious, I had never used Google Hangouts before, though it worked out fairly well for the most part. There were some moments where I forgot to change who was on screen and someone was on screen but not speaking which was a little awkward, but I just wasn't thinking about it because I also had to focus on what I was saying, what I was about to say, answering everyone's questions, getting everyone there at the right times, etc. I may do some more of these in the future where I address a few specific issues or work with a few people on their reads, but I will most likely not do something this long in the future unless it's more interactive. I was much more comfortable with the in-person workshop I gave a few weeks prior, and the interaction was a HUGE part of that. I'll be okay with giving online classes, but only if I can hear and/or see the other people involved.

Speaking of which, I just started working with a few private students and it's been going REALLY well. I meet with all of my current students in-person, but I'm going to start doing Skype appointments too, so if anyone in this thread lives in a remote area and is looking for a voiceover instructor via Skype (or in person near me in NY, for that matter), I charge a LOT less than most teachers and studios like Edge. :) Oh, and if you watch that free seminar, I give out a discount code good for $20 off any of my classes or first private session for 2013, on top of the $10 goon discount I think I mentioned last time I mentioned classes. :)

If there's enough interest, I'd like to get an online class going in addition to my in-person classes, the next of which I will run over the summer at a recording studio in midtown Manhattan, so please PM or email me (melanie at listentomelanie.com) if you're interested in either so I can get something going!

On an unrelated note, I was just recently cast in a student film, the casting call for which described my character as "feminist, opinionated, short brown hair, athletic", Latina, and a closet lesbian. Of those things, I have brown hair (though it's not short). Lesson learned? Submit myself for EVERYTHING, because if I can book athletic short-haired Latina...?

blinkeve1826 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 7, 2013

OneeyedWIlly
Dec 12, 2005

LOL, LIMEWIRE
So I've taken a few lessons from a northeastern voice over artist who'se pretty respected and has years of work under his belt, but I'm still too afraid to do anything for voices.com, and I'm not entirely sure still how to describe my voice. I'm pretty much just reading bad fan fictions as "practice" at this point, (here is an example, http://youtu.be/U_DV9uIGKz4 )and I'm not sure what kind of gigs my voice is good for. My teacher was telling me corporate power points/etc but I can't seem to find those gigs.

EDIT: Made a demo

OneeyedWIlly fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 30, 2013

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Hey everyone, I've mostly been a lurker here but I'd really like some feedback on my demo tapes. I've been working in public media for a while but I'm looking to transition into commercial or voice over work. I feel like my delivery doesn't flow naturally enough and that on some pieces I push my voice too much. But feel free to share any thoughts.

Production Demo: https://soundcloud.com/natebender84/nate-bender-production-demo
Commercial Radio Aircheck: https://soundcloud.com/natebender84/nate-bender-commercial
Non-commercial Aircheck: https://soundcloud.com/natebender84/nate-bender-non-commercial

I have a few other reels and some various other pieces including a long form piece on MMO gaming on my SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/natebender84

All feedback welcome. Thank you!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Just bought a banner ad for 2 months. I'll be able to listen/critique the recent additions either tonight or tomorrow!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

aniero posted:

Hey everyone, I've mostly been a lurker here but I'd really like some feedback on my demo tapes. I've been working in public media for a while but I'm looking to transition into commercial or voice over work. I feel like my delivery doesn't flow naturally enough and that on some pieces I push my voice too much. But feel free to share any thoughts.

Production Demo: https://soundcloud.com/natebender84/nate-bender-production-demo
Commercial Radio Aircheck: https://soundcloud.com/natebender84/nate-bender-commercial
Non-commercial Aircheck: https://soundcloud.com/natebender84/nate-bender-non-commercial

I have a few other reels and some various other pieces including a long form piece on MMO gaming on my SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/natebender84

Hello! So, one thing I noticed right off the bat is how heavily produced these are. That's fine for the production demo but when it comes to the voice samples, I'd really rather have some clean samples to listen to. In most of these your voice is buried in a large mix of things. Also the style is very one trick, these are all well done but only work for radio where people want the IN YOUR FACE ROCK THE WORK DAY AWAY style. Also despite the effects and the music I could still hear a lot of background reflections in some of them. Would it be possible for you to record something that is just your voice? If you want to stretch your work, you should stretch the demo and do something really unlike what you have so we can get a better feel.

@Joeman
That's awesome you snagged a banner, hopefully we can get some fresh blood in here!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
That Joe Man directed me here to get better started with my BRIGHT FUTURE in voice acting.

Loved the OP, went over some of the things I need to take more seriously, like a mic and such (Blue Yeti was on my mind, glad I got some input there)

Only question I had was in regards to something I see in amateur recording videos, I see a lot of popular net audiophiles recording their lines by placing the mic inside a generously sized cardboard box, then they talk into it. Is this a general practice? just so noise canceling?

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

Hello! So, one thing I noticed right off the bat is how heavily produced these are. That's fine for the production demo but when it comes to the voice samples, I'd really rather have some clean samples to listen to. In most of these your voice is buried in a large mix of things. Also the style is very one trick, these are all well done but only work for radio where people want the IN YOUR FACE ROCK THE WORK DAY AWAY style. Also despite the effects and the music I could still hear a lot of background reflections in some of them. Would it be possible for you to record something that is just your voice? If you want to stretch your work, you should stretch the demo and do something really unlike what you have so we can get a better feel.

Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate your input. Just a note on the production: those demo's are specifically for commercial and non commercial broadcasting. If I were going to submit a demo for a some other kind of VO work I would most likely make a specialized demo specifically for it. Each demo is designed to be tailored to the types of jobs I've, so far, been applying to. I should also mention that I've curated these demos from about 10 years worth of broadcasting with the bulk of the content being the most recent while keeping the best of the older material. So these clips were recorded in a variety of environments under varying conditions. Is it really that noticeable that I should eliminate some clips? Does it drag the overall quality down? It would be really easy for me to record all new material in a studio but I always feel like those performances are flat in the broadcasting sense. I'm not at all opposed to doing that though.

Yes, I can record a clean sample with no processing. I'll upload it next week.

aniero fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 19, 2013

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
http://tindeck.com/listen/smjd

I was bored and have been working on my female voice. So, yeah, Skullgirls groupie.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I'd be grateful for any feedback on my reading of (my own) story, here. The intended accent is the posh end of Kiwi, with a chipper 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' inflection, I guess you'd call it.

I dislike the very end so I'm going to rerecord the last couple of lines, hopefully I can get the quality to match better than it does here.

I like this. I'm admittedly not the best at critiqueing non-American accents, but from what I've listened to so far, the one thing I can pick out is mouth-clicking. Either it's a weird click that's being picked up in post-production, or your mouth is kinda spitty and your tongue keeps clicking.

However, overall, it's pleasant to listen to.

Starship Arcadia posted:

But here it is!

Targeted Critiques:
"Must feel good," doesn't end naturally and you actually sound sarcastic. Try to think about HOW good that promotion must feel and put yourself in their shoes. Genuinely happy, excited.

"Why not celebrate moving up," is good because you're leading the sentence into a question, but "By moving to Summerset Hills" doesn't actually end as a question. There's two ways you could end it "right": actually end it in the form of a question, or end as a concrete pitch line. Right now, you're leading up a question to the point of "Summer," then flip-flopping on "Hills" to some sort of half-question.

"Third phase" sentence is okay. "Pie-shaped/Lillies" line could be slowed down slightly. "Choose from dozens" is excellent. "Safe & secluded" line is too staccato and devoid of emotion. Urgency line is okay but I'd put more emphasis on "before the first snowfall." Open house line is okay but slightly rushed. Phone numbers should always be slowed down a bit and enunciated as well (because you want them to actually remember the number). "Summerset Hills" needs to be more concrete, enunciated, and just solid in general. You want them to remember the name. Followup sentence should make "staying for a lifetime" sound great and overall very pleasant, but your take is slightly apathetic.

Beyond this read, you need to work on breath control and minimizing environmental background noise. For breathing advice, the first thing I'd recommend is to just slow the whole thing down a bit. Relax. Sip some hot tea and shake out the jigglies. You didn't TOTALLY rush it but I can tell that you FEEL rushed, which has a gigantic impact on performance. You also get faster as the read goes on, which sounds like you want it to be over.

First step: just relax. See what it sounds like after that.

PS: This script will live on...forever.....

Ishamael posted:

Just a small plug - a game I did VO work for is now available for PC (or you can download a free trial). I did all the zombie and human noises in the game, and it was a lot of fun. (I didn't have anything to do with the little intro cut-scene).

http://tinyurl.com/ccq33xn

I was going to check this out but I got attacked by adware through the link. Congrats on the game though!

OneeyedWIlly posted:

So I've taken a few lessons from a northeastern voice over artist who'se pretty respected and has years of work under his belt, but I'm still too afraid to do anything for voices.com, and I'm not entirely sure still how to describe my voice. I'm pretty much just reading bad fan fictions as "practice" at this point, (here is an example, http://youtu.be/U_DV9uIGKz4 )and I'm not sure what kind of gigs my voice is good for. My teacher was telling me corporate power points/etc but I can't seem to find those gigs.

EDIT: Made a demo

The pony vid definitely has a TON of mouth clicking. You need to control your tongue man! Stop closing your mouth so hard after every word/sentence and smacking it back open and it should cut it down a bit.

Commercial demo has the same problem. You'll really need to work on that. Especially since I think you actually have a good baseline to improve upon and definite potential. I really like the first "to-do" bit. Throw out the newscaster piece. Also throw out Jimmy. Also throw out Smooth Jazz.

Keep to-do list, or at least the script (to redo after you work on your mouth clicking).

aniero posted:

I agree with Jossi but the dry Jazz informational at 43s is basically 100% spot on with what you'd hear on PBS. It's incredibly monotone but I'm genuinely amazed at how perfectly you captured how monotone those reads are. Looking forward to a straight read.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

That Joe Man directed me here to get better started with my BRIGHT FUTURE in voice acting.

Loved the OP, went over some of the things I need to take more seriously, like a mic and such (Blue Yeti was on my mind, glad I got some input there)

Only question I had was in regards to something I see in amateur recording videos, I see a lot of popular net audiophiles recording their lines by placing the mic inside a generously sized cardboard box, then they talk into it. Is this a general practice? just so noise canceling?

A cardboard box by itself will do practically nothing except make you sound worse. You could get or make one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WSW7C0 but creating a quieter overall environment is much more important. If that's impossible however, I know there are some posts within the thread talking in-detail about making something akin to a portable studio. I can't find them off-hand since I've been writing this post for an hour now but you should probably read the whole thread anyways. Shouldn't take too long to stumble across it.

Winter is Cuming posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/smjd

I was bored and have been working on my female voice. So, yeah, Skullgirls groupie.

thats great man

----------------------
Phew okay if there's anyone I missed, feel free to yell at me.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

OK, finally was able to sit down and do a dry read of a piece of video game news and a piece of commercial copy. I also say I'm going to do a monologue, which I did, but it was awful so I took it out. I'll try recording one tomorrow, hopefully I get something I'm happy with. Also, the commercial copy is poorly written and taken very quickly somewhere off the internet.

https://soundcloud.com/natebender84/news-commercial-copy-read

I didnt process this at all. I did edit out a few stumbles and resets.

OK, hopefully a monologue that doesnt suck tomorrow. Thanks for taking a listen.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
The news bit is solid overall except that you are reading it too fast, the "Oh no" bit came off really hokey, and the breaths between lines are sometimes a bit loud. Turning your head away from the mic when you take those needed breaths can draw those down.

The commercial copy is pretty much the perfect stereotypical radio ad (with the breaths issue from above). Personal preference though is I've never liked those kinds of ads. They feel very AM to me, and "the radio voice" is typically much less of a challenge than to make it sound natural and engaging.

You said your field is radio and if that's your target, then you're doing fine. If you want to expand into non-radio ventures you have picked up some habits you will need to shake. Things like reading quick to get the words in in time. Your diction is good though, it was fast read but understandable.

Recording conditions seem fine, no strange room noise or obvious mechanical problems as well.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
After being told I had a "distinctive voice" from an increasing number of people who aren't in my family, I thought I'd give this thing a try. Recorded a clip of myself using Marc Antony's monologue from Act 3, Scene 2 of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. This is the result. Any feedback you can offer would be appreciated.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Kleptobot posted:

After being told I had a "distinctive voice" from an increasing number of people who aren't in my family, I thought I'd give this thing a try. Recorded a clip of myself using Marc Antony's monologue from Act 3, Scene 2 of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. This is the result. Any feedback you can offer would be appreciated.

Are you from the UK?

EDIT:

OK, let me go on without this information. It sounds like you are putting on a bad British accent. If you are actually from the UK, then it means you are adopting a very stilted way of speaking (enough to where it sounds like a parody of a British accent).

Also, you should practice with something that is not Shakespeare. Odds are, you will never be hired to do a Shakespeare VO. Read some product or ad copy, or that awful Sommerset Hills thing that everyone uses as good practice material. It's really hard to give you pointers when you are speaking in such an affected way.

You have a medium-low voice, which can be good for VO, but it's hard to tell anything past that using this piece.

Also, you probably know this, but your recording setup is not good. What kind of microphone are you using?

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 23, 2013

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Not from the UK, but thanks for the advice. Guess I over-dramatized it? I'll try the ad copy next time I get the chance.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah Ishamael is spot on. That was over the top. Doing the Summerset Hills copy that Joe Man loves is always a great place to start, but you might also want to try something more natural. Just talk about something off the cuff that you know a lot about, get a feel for your own voice and how it sounds for instance.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Just saw the ad! Wooo!

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
I dabbled with voice acting a bit a few years ago, only ever going as far as getting a $100-ish usb mic and doing a few fandubs and one original radio play. I would really like to get back into it as a hobby at least, maybe to pick up a bit of extra scratch down the line a ways. I read out loud to my fiance all the time, and I'm thinking about trying to audition for some of the books on acx.com, but I'm intimidated by the seemingly monstrous amount of work they'd require. I'm looking for the shortest projects I can find, since trying to pick this back up with an 80,000 word audio book seems like trying to get back into running by entering a marathon. The extent of my editing was cleaning up some lines with Audacity, very minimal stuff. My background is all stage theatre, so I'm wondering if there's something a little smaller or more comfortable I could try to start off with than an entire audiobook? I'm starting grad school in College Station, but my family lives in Austin so we're there at least once a month, and I saw that Austin is considered pretty much a hotbed for voice work. How would I go about finding some small voice projects I'd be able to work on? Would being able to audition in person give me an advantage over pure internet communication?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

If you are serious about recording for money you are going to need to practice a lot and sink a bit of cash into a decent set up. Can you provide samples and gear info?