Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I believe oragel and other numbing gels aren't recommended anymore.

http://babies411.com/infant-news/news/baby-orajel-warning-relieving-teething-pain-safely-new.html

"The FDA is warning parents and caregivers not to use benzocaine-containing medication on children younger than 2 years of age unless otherwise recommended by a physician."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
We just got a second tooth through, so he's now sporting two little ivory nubs in his bottom gums. Woo!
Makes me sad though, my little cuddly lump is not so lumpy any more.

I think he likes the feeling of them in his mouth because he keeps sticking his tongue out and smacking his lips - similar to when you feed a dog peanut butter and they lick their chops for the next 5 minutes.

Tylenol is Paracetamol-based yeah? I give him Baby Paracetamol and then when necessary I give him a dose of Children's Ibuprofen to help with any inflammation.

He loves to chew stuff, especially this penguin, also a lot of those teething rusks. When he gets grizzly he gets popped in the high chair and given one, it keeps him happy and amused for ages.
The dogs love it too and know that he will drop it eventually, so they circle him like little fluffy landsharks.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
For childproofing, we use these to babyproof stuff like the liquor cabinet and this to babyproof the toilet paper. We bought a toilet lock for my first kid, but it sucked and we eventually just tore it off. We keep him out of the kitchen with two baby gates (one on each entrance) and have another gate up in the doorway to his room. We also installed chain locks like this on the front and back doors to the house, because at a little over 2 years old my kid has decided to start trying to go outside by himself.

We use Dye-Free Ibuprofen from Target for teething and general pain relief.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I have a question about feeding solids. Or a couple really.

He is just over 6 months now, when do I start making him have 3 'meals' a day? Cereal breakfast, and some sort of veg/meat combo for lunch & dinner?
I've been giving him some purees & mash for a small lunch, followed by a bottle. Not quite every day just yet, just trying to transition him into foody things.

For the extra meals do I just give him some cereal & fruit when I would normally give him a bottle at breakfast time? Then a bottle afterward as a top up? Same with dinner?

Do I still keep up the same amount of bottles he would have through the day? He doesn't wake or feed overnight.

If I wanted to attempt some of those baby led weaning type meals, how soft do you steam the vegies? I know they have to be soft enough to mush in their mouth, but what about in their hands? When they pick it up should it be giving way and mooshing in their fingers or is that too soft?
What are the best sort of vegies to use for that? Carrots? Pumpkin? Potato? Stuff that can be cut into batons? When do you introduce pasta? What sort of pasta? Like Penne and those large spirals?

I should really get some of those food books or something.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Our rule of thumb with introducing solids was to nurse him before a meal, and then he eats with us. So I put him in the high chair and give him one or two items to play with or eat or whatever. Food was steamed enough so he could squish it in his mouth (tested by me squishing it between my fingers) and small enough that when squished it was easy to swallow. Lots of mushy stuff like sweet potatoes, banana slices, mango, rice, pureed prunes, etc.

The level of mushiness and size of portion all depends on what your kid can handle. We waited longer than others to introduce solids (about 8 months) so he had more dexterity and more teeth than other kids starting out earlier. We progressed quickly to more solid foods (ground beef, scrambled eggs, etc) based on his ability to chew and swallow his food. I still nursed him to 13 months, but by the time he was 12-months old he was eating solids like a pro.

Every doctor is different - some say to introduce one food at a time to test allergies, almost all will say hold off on specific foods like shellfish and dairy until they are over 1-year, some say to keep things bland while others say to introduce spice as early as kids will take it. Use your best judgement, do some research on your own and check with your doctor if you have any concerns.

And we don't make separate meals for him now. Once he got his eating skills down, he had a plate of whatever we were eating.

Googling "introducing solids to infants" will get you a lot of ideas.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

You can feel free to ask your ped this at your 6-month checkup--mine has a handout about feeding!

That early, you really don't have to worry about getting in meals. It's all about the textures and the new experience. In my opinion, offer it when you want, and don't feel guilty if he goes days on just milk. His formula or breastmilk (no cow's milk yet!) is his real food right now, and everything else is dessert. Offering milk first and then solids after is the standard advice until age 1--I'll admit that I just put solids at a different time because he often took his naps right after nursing. :)

Dreamcatcherkwe will have good advice on baby-led-weaning--I know she advised me when I started!

e: i was slow to type :P

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 10, 2013

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

AlistairCookie posted:

Here he is eating the butt end of some lettuce, because he has no taste buds apparently. ;)

This is from a little while ago, but how the hell do you even discover that your kid likes to eat the butt end of lettuce?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
When he starts shrieking "LIAM LETTUCE!!" at the top of his lungs while I'm cutting lettuce. I offer him a normal piece and he shouts "Not THAT one!" like I'm stupid. So I give him the butt end, because it may be kinda gross, but it's not like it will hurt him. Bingo! THAT one Mommy!! :j:

Kids are ridiculous, and some days I think mine in particular are extra ridiculous.

Have a funny link y'all.

http://deadspin.com/tag/why%20your%20childrens%20television%20program%20sucks

We all hate kid's shows; this is funny. The Max and Ruby one in particular had me pissing with laughter.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
I find Phinnias and Ferb to be a watchable kids show.

The best thing Dora ever made was the SNL parody http://www.hulu.com/watch/1610

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Figured I'd mention this here: Target has a deal where you can get a Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 carseat for $100. http://www.babycheapskate.com/2013/04/10/graco-nautilus-for-less-than-100/ is the info. Just have to print off an in-store coupon (only good in-store). Even without the coupon the seat is $125 on sale right now. It's a great seat. It does NOT rear face so it's more ideal for 2.5-3yrs + but it can convert into a stand-alone booster which is good for much older kids. SO you'll get a lot of life out of it. I picked one up for $106 with tax. They retail for $160.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

bamzilla posted:

Figured I'd mention this here: Target has a deal where you can get a Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 carseat for $100. http://www.babycheapskate.com/2013/04/10/graco-nautilus-for-less-than-100/ is the info. Just have to print off an in-store coupon (only good in-store). Even without the coupon the seat is $125 on sale right now. It's a great seat. It does NOT rear face so it's more ideal for 2.5-3yrs + but it can convert into a stand-alone booster which is good for much older kids. SO you'll get a lot of life out of it. I picked one up for $106 with tax. They retail for $160.

Oh wow, that's a *great* deal! That's the car seat I bought for Liam to use on the schoolbus and I'm thrilled with it. I had planned to get another to replace his Britax Marathon when it expires in 6 months or so - guess I'm upping the timeframe!

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
My son watches Sid The Science Kid. And only Sid. No time for or interest in any other TV show. (Except Doctor Who, and then he only pays attention to the theme song because my husband watched it a lot when he was keeping him during the day.) It's not terribly annoying and it is very educational--I love that it recognizes and celebrates that little kids are natural scientists, and encourages them to ask lots of questions. (I know I will probably regret it when my kid can actually ask questions.)

On food weirdness: He used to eat or at least try anything I put in front of him. Cooked or raw veg, any kind of fruit, weird grains, whatever. I was so happy because I was a really picky eater as a kid. Now all he wants is bread, blueberries, and vanilla wafers. He's 15 months old...hope he grows out of it soon.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
My kid is the only grandbaby so far and is thus spoiled with stuffed animals. She insists that they all be in her bed at night, and she rotates through which she wants to take to school, but she needs, at all times, to know where BearBear is. Nothing happens unless BearBear is accounted for.

BearBear was discontinued 20 years ago. He's now on Ebay for almost $200. I have a post here in buy/sell and I've combed every craigslist posting in the country for the drat thing, but no luck.

For those whose kids have lost their lovey, or who were themselves a kid who lost a lovely... what's it worth to you if you could have replaced it? Or do they forget about the toy quickly? How much energy do I need to put in to this just in case he gets left behind some day?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
When I was a kid I was similar about my pile of stuffed animals, but I had a "blankie" and "Daniel Bear" that I was attached to. I took my blankie with me to England when I was six. I lost it the day before we were supposed to come home. I was inconsolable. There wasn't anything we could do.

I remember consciously vowing to never take Daniel Bear with me on a trip after that, because I didn't want to risk the chance of losing him. I almost thing that losing a beloved object is one of the rites of passage of childhood.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Melliemel posted:

BearBear was discontinued 20 years ago. He's now on Ebay for almost $200. I have a post here in buy/sell and I've combed every craigslist posting in the country for the drat thing, but no luck.

http://www.lostmylovey.com/

I don't know if you've tried here. Check the "need a replacement" part. If Tim lost Bear or Liam lost Frog at this point in our lives, I would literally scour the earth and probably pay $200 on Ebay (while weeping) for a new one. I shudder at the thought of the complete and utter hell we would go through.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
At what age did your children start becoming attached to their lovies? Just curious. My daughter is only 5 months old so right now she loves every toy equally as long as she can chew on it. I did buy her a little security blanket to see if it would help her sleep better but haven't tried it yet for fear of her covering her face.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Carters-Recalls-Infant-Clothing-with-Zippers/

Recall of certain Carter's onesies with zippers.

quote:

Recall Details

Units

About 218,000
Description

This recall involves eight styles of one-piece, footed cotton clothing for infants made by Carter’s. They have a zipper from the foot to the neck and were sold in sizes newborn, 3, 6 and 9 months. Baby B’gosh®, Child of Mine® made by Carter’s or Just One You® made by Carter’s is printed on the fabric inside the neck area. The style number is printed on a side seam label.

Brand Style Number Description
Baby B’gosh 414-208 Yellow with white quarter moons and gray and white stars print.

Child of Mine 715-839 Baseball-style, white with blue stripes, yellow accents and “Little Brother” printed on the chest.

Just One You 520-242 White background with navy stripes and green neck binding. Sold as a 2-pack with:

597B537 Light blue with a nautical and green crabs print and “Captain Cutie” on the left chest.

520-243 White with a pink cupcake print. Sold as 2-pack with:

597B538 Pink with small polka dots and a bunny ballerina on the left chest.

520-244 White with green stripes and an elephant and duck on the left chest. Sold as 2-pack with:

597B539 White with a gray elephant, gray bear, green frog and yellow duck print.

Incidents/Injuries

None reported
Remedy

Consumers should immediately take the recalled clothing away from infants and return it to Carter’s for a full refund.
Sold at

OshKosh B’gosh, Walmart and Target nationwide from December 2012 through January 2013 for between $7 and $20. Baby B’gosh sleepwear was also sold online at https://www.oshkoshbgosh.com.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

frenchnewwave posted:

At what age did your children start becoming attached to their lovies? Just curious. My daughter is only 5 months old so right now she loves every toy equally as long as she can chew on it. I did buy her a little security blanket to see if it would help her sleep better but haven't tried it yet for fear of her covering her face.

My kid is 2.5 and has never gotten attached to any particular toy or blanket. Mostly because he uses me or my husband as comfort objects when he falls asleep, I think. We're there to cuddle, so that seems to be enough.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

frenchnewwave posted:

Around 7 months he started really wanting his bunny to sleep with, but he doesn't usually take it out of the crib or anything at 14 months.

My ped said that if I wanted to use a little blanket but was nervous about it, to just tie it in a knot until he was bigger!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Chickalicious posted:

My kid is 2.5 and has never gotten attached to any particular toy or blanket. Mostly because he uses me or my husband as comfort objects when he falls asleep, I think. We're there to cuddle, so that seems to be enough.

Same. She'll ask for certain blankets at bedtime but it rotates regularly.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Posted now. Thanks for the heads-up. The tag-and-return system they have is down for now, which is disappointing. I have thought of putting a dogtag on him with my google voice phone number, but I wanted something soft. Sharpie on a ribbon may be just the thing, though.

I may cave on buying the bear when tax returns come in, I just... if she never loses him, I'll feel ridiculous, but if she does it will be so worth it.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

frenchnewwave posted:

Eh...late babyhood? I want to say as they approached one. For sure by the time we rounded the corner from age one, the relationship was secure. I facilitated it by giving them their lovey and seahorse every single sleepy time pretty much from birth with Liam and pretty early on with Tim. They are both little square blanket things with a head and arms attached to the middle. A blue bear and a green and blue frog, both Carter's I think. Tim expressed preference for his as a baby out of the things in the softy basket, (rubbed it on his face, even as a little bitty guy :3:), but I chose Liam's frog based on how much Tim loves his bear. Tim only needs his to sleep anymore (or when he's sick), but he is just about five. Liam drags his everywhere, but we are working on making it more for sleep only--only because I don't want to lose it, and it gets filthy. Really, really, filthy.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Chickalicious posted:

Ditto on this for both kids. Except we don't cosleep in the same bed, just the same room. My daughter is 3.5 and within the last year (when we moved her to her own room) became attached to her "white blankie".

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Is it generally ok to wash stuffed animals in a machine? We have a talking Elmo doll (voicebox removed though) that says "surface wash only" but Elmo's getting grimy even with regular wipedowns. Any reason I can't just run him th rough the washer/dryer?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

A lot of times they'll end up looking a little wonky, but it's worth it to me to have toys clean. Leave it somewhere sunny to dry and it'll probably be fine :)

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

FordCQC posted:

Is it generally ok to wash stuffed animals in a machine? We have a talking Elmo doll (voicebox removed though) that says "surface wash only" but Elmo's getting grimy even with regular wipedowns. Any reason I can't just run him th rough the washer/dryer?

We've had good luck washing stuffed animals, but not drying them. Now we just leave it out in the sun all day to dry.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I've never had a problem washing, only drying. And the drying issue tends to be that high heat will melt some types of (fake, stuffed animal) fur, so you end up with a weird, matted mess. After washing, roll them up in some dry towels and sit or step on them to squish as much of the water out as possible. You can usually dry them on a low heat setting, but that might take forever.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

FordCQC posted:

I remember my mother occassionally having "bath day" for our favorite stuffed animals. I believe she washed and dried them on the delicate setting. I know she would place each one inside of a pillow case and knot up the open end, before putting them in the dryer -- I assume to diffuse some of the heat? They always seemed fine (but cleaner) when returned to us. It is what I plan on doing with E's stuffed animals.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
We've machine washed and dried stuffed animals wrapped up in a pillowcase and they came out fine. Just don't use high heat in the dryer.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
We use a lingere bag in the dryer on low. It keeps the stuffing from getting wonky as it tumbles. A pillowcase keeps the eyes from getting scratched. And I should use lingere soap but I just use Tide and throw them in with the regular laundry. These are standard plush, though, not anything with a squeaker or plastic innards.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

FordCQC posted:

I have washed our Tickle Me Elmo, with the innards removed, just fine. I dried him in a pillowcase on low. I put almost everything through the washer and dryer. The kids cloth stuff just gets so gross! All stuffed animals, fabric books, everything.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Also if your washer has it, do the low agitation/high spin. Less drying needed! I do it for the high chair and car seat covers and they air-dry beautifully very quickly.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
So my daughter is 10 and tonight we're hosting her first ever sleepover party. I don't know why this is freaking me out so much when I'm in charge of (much larger) overnight events for the Girl Scouts all the time- maybe because this time :siren:they're in my house:siren:. It would have been nice if more than two of the people we'd invited had RSVP'd as well so I know who's actually coming. Aaaaaa I just want to be reassured that we'll survive.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I would call the parents of girls invited and confirm whether they are coming or not. It might help you feel more prepared to have a real sense of what you're dealing with.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I mentioned a few pages back that my Ben (now 6.5 months) has been very aggressive with trying to get our food at mealtimes. I was scared to start him, however, because it's very important to me to continue breastfeeding. Well, I finally caved and mashed up a banana with some breastmilk. We got him in the high chair and gave him his own spoon. I'd then try to spoon some banana in with my own baby spoon and... entirely uninterested. Perfectly happy to sit in the high chair and play with a spoon. That's what we're sticking with for now. :) Yay.

(Also, I wanted to mention with the weight discussion that happened last page... Ben was 20 lb 12oz at his 6 month appointment. 5 days later at breastfeeding group, he was 21 lb 7.5oz. The doctor had already told us he was very big for his age- then at the breastfeeding group there was a perfectly healthy 18 mo old who was much tinier than him! So weird to see.)

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

SassySally posted:

Perfectly happy to sit in the high chair and play with a spoon. That's what we're sticking with for now. :) Yay.

Weird baby sizing

Same here, he'll be all about what we're eating if it's something he can't have. We were eating corn chips last week and he kept trying to grab them out of our hands, when we told him no and moved our hands away he then dove for the packet they came from.
The two of us also had a disagreement at a birthday party we went to the other day when he wanted the tiny cupcake I was eating. He looked like a little gnome in his party hat, hah.

But stick him in the highchair and he's more interested in the spoon than what is on it. I guess if it can't choke him it's not worthy of his attention.

A few friends of mine and I are constantly comparing our boys all born within a 6 week period. It's just so interesting to see how the growth and development varies amongst kids around the same age - the oldest one (mine) is the smallest of the three and the most mobile while the youngest is a huge giant babby that is way bigger the other two in height and weight.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
My 1-year-old has finally broken his top front two teeth through. YAY!! That was a month of misery.

But now, he grinds those new teeth against his bottom two. Loudly. Should I be worried? Anything to do about it?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Gounads posted:

My 1-year-old has finally broken his top front two teeth through. YAY!! That was a month of misery.

But now, he grinds those new teeth against his bottom two. Loudly. Should I be worried? Anything to do about it?

Totally normal. Nothing to do about it. Usually they stop. It is a horrible sound though, ugh.

My 7 year old still grinds while he sleeps and the dentist said they don't do mouth guards or anything until they're older. It makes my skin crawl.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Anyone have any good information for being a step-parent? (step-father)

I recently moved in with my girlfriend who has a 7 year old daughter. She just finalized the divorce with her husband (was a matter of money, etc..should have done a while ago) and we're thinking of marriage soon. I've already experienced my own set of challenges with being a step-parent..so any sources of information that help would be great.

So far the hardest part is figuring out when / how to be an actual parent, and when to just let the mother be the parent. We don't see eye to eye on certain things, but her being the biological parent I just try my best to let her handle things. I'd like to be a positive parental figure for the girl, but at the same time I don't want to overstep. This isn't easy! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Obscurity posted:

Anyone have any good information for being a step-parent? (step-father)

I recently moved in with my girlfriend who has a 7 year old daughter. She just finalized the divorce with her husband (was a matter of money, etc..should have done a while ago) and we're thinking of marriage soon. I've already experienced my own set of challenges with being a step-parent..so any sources of information that help would be great.

So far the hardest part is figuring out when / how to be an actual parent, and when to just let the mother be the parent. We don't see eye to eye on certain things, but her being the biological parent I just try my best to let her handle things. I'd like to be a positive parental figure for the girl, but at the same time I don't want to overstep. This isn't easy! :ohdear:

I'm not married to my boyfriend but we've been living together for a few years. He has two boys, they were 7 and 10 when I first met them. It is hard to figure out how to find that parenting balance. I tried really hard to set up routines that they liked (pancake Sunday!) and to be fair with them. I tell them stuff like: eat over your plate, finish your carrots, sit on your side of the couch and don't elbow your brother, etc. little stuff that any family member or babysitter would feel comfortable doing. Bigger arguments will get triage from me and then will go right to their dad for final say. I am lucky in that they are really good kids and their dad and I agree on parenting styles and haven't ever second guessed each other with that stuff. I think the most important thing is to gain trust from the kids. They may not instantly love you and they may not want to listen to you, but if they can trust you and know you're a fair person, everything else will come in time.