Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As someone who didnt come up around DOONZ, I always wondered how they kept from smacking into each other at crests. I mean, those flags are only so tall.

I guess this shows that sometimes, they dont.

If you don't square up with the dunes on the way down you usually do okay. The dude on the quad just seemed to be putting around perpendicular to the dune (and not going up the dune) which is the dumbest loving thing you can be doing out there.

Unrelated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1Nbywt0X4

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

BlackMK4 posted:

I thought it was crazy when I figured it was a ZX6R at first glance.

I need to see this in action...

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
At the dunes, right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I concur with this sentiment.

http://vimeo.com/59919849

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Is he wearing a gently caress helmet?

God damnit I need a gently caress helmet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a

gently caress
you up

helmet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gullous posted:

At the dunes, right?

Thanks for the new desktop background. That is awesome.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Collateral Damage posted:

Thanks for the new desktop background. That is awesome.

Here's a big version if you're using it as a desktop background: http://www.ecbloguer.com/jaquemoto/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/r1_sand_2.jpg

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It was full size on imgur as well. Thanks anyway.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Well that was loving awesome, and now its 3:53 am. Didn't Travis Pastrana just try to iron man it recently?

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 16, 2013

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Looking at videos of 2013 S3Rs on Youtube I just stumbled upon this dude, from Sydney also. Holy gently caress, his riding. I mean, I'm far from the world's best rider, that's pretty much why I haven't ordered my S3R yet. But holy poo poo, talk about not being ready for an upgrade. :psyduck:

He pulls the clutch in around corners or casting downhill. Engine braking, what's that? Maintenance throttle, what's that? What is a head-on zone and why shouldn't I ride in it through entire corners?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJC0e6dQ3Lw

MY loving BRAIN

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 16, 2013

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Don't worry, he would've been forced to ride a learner approved bike for about 3 years so according to the government he's skilled enough to ride it...

Licensing in this country is a joke, prove you won't drop the bike and you pass the learners test, when the fatalities of motorcycles rose they just raised the amount of time you spend on your Learners.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Here4DaGangBang posted:

He pulls the clutch in around corners or casting downhill.

Oh god, what the gently caress. Can't wait to see him in wet weather when he lets the clutch go and he spins the gently caress out.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

theperminator posted:

Don't worry, he would've been forced to ride a learner approved bike for about 3 years so according to the government he's skilled enough to ride it...

Licensing in this country is a joke, prove you won't drop the bike and you pass the learners test, when the fatalities of motorcycles rose they just raised the amount of time you spend on your Learners.

I see what you're saying, but does that really mean our licensing system is that bad? I mean, the Government can only do so much before things get extremely restrictive. Our system seems to be a decent compromise between the crazy do-whatever-the-gently caress-you-likeness of the US and a super heavy-duty restrictive licensing scheme, say somewhere like Japan. And at least where I did my Ps test, a woman was failed because she couldn't complete the test to the examiner's satisfaction (failed to get up to the required speed for the emergency stop three times in a row), so in my experience at least there are scrupulous operators who do care about making sure riders know what they're doing before they get their Ps. Granted, none of that means the licensing system couldn't be improved in some ways.

Really, my mind just boggles a little at how it occurred to this guy to pulling the clutch in, it makes no sense to me at all. Plus he's ignoring heaps of the basic poo poo they teach like late apexes, staying the gently caress out of the head-on zone, etc. I am CONSTANTLY analysing my own riding against all of that stuff.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
His other videos are of him commuting up the north shore, so I can only assume he has only ever commuted, if you ride like that down the old pacific or any other kind of twisty road you're going to end up dead before too long.

Force people to do Stay Upright/MSF whatever, I know it would've helped me not bin my 250 a bunch of times.
When I got my L's it was pretty much ride around in a circle, change gears then the P's test was the emergency stop, u-turn etc.
I only heard about head-on zones after there was some huge accident on putty road caused by exactly that.

:edit: and on bobbin head road of all places, that road is narrow and bumpy as gently caress, I used to live there and never bothered taking the bike through there, or galston gorge for that matter.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 16, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Click for bigger.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

theperminator posted:

His other videos are of him commuting up the north shore, so I can only assume he has only ever commuted, if you ride like that down the old pacific or any other kind of twisty road you're going to end up dead before too long.

Force people to do Stay Upright/MSF whatever, I know it would've helped me not bin my 250 a bunch of times.
When I got my L's it was pretty much ride around in a circle, change gears then the P's test was the emergency stop, u-turn etc.
I only heard about head-on zones after there was some huge accident on putty road caused by exactly that.

:edit: and on bobbin head road of all places, that road is narrow and bumpy as gently caress, I used to live there and never bothered taking the bike through there, or galston gorge for that matter.

I've only had my license for a few years, so it sounds like maybe things have come a little way since you did yours. There is an assessed road ride now before you do the actual Ps test course so that they can make sure you're setting up brakes properly, buffering, analysing threats etc. I remember cornering lines were covered in our pre Ls, and emphasis was placed on staying wide until you're past the head-on zone.

My most local ride is McCarrs Creek Road which is quite bumpy in places too, but yeah, Bobbin Head Rd. looks a bit sketchy in his vid due to the narrowness and resulting lack of defined lanes. If it's bumpy as well that doesn't sound like much fun.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Click for bigger.

It looks like a bad photoshop to me

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I only got mine in 07 so maybe the central coast instructors are just too laid back or something.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
In theory if you're aware of your surroundings you ride near the peak of the dune so your flag is visible. Awareness isn't a strong point of quad riders.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Nifty bikes at the Portland Alley Sweeper:

Elite 80?

Portland beard.jpg:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Portland beards :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pokey Araya posted:

Well that was loving awesome, and now its 3:53 am. Didn't Travis Pastrana just try to iron man it recently?

He attempted it a few years back on a mostly stock (upgraded lights and exhaust) DRZ 400. The bike died about 20 miles from the finish due to inhaling its own silt-filled airfilter. He was running at the front of the pack when it died, too :(

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Skier posted:

Nifty bikes at the Portland Alley Sweeper:

So jealous. I almost took the day off but decided to save it for spring scoot a couple of weekends later. How was the event?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I can't watch the video, but what's wrong with pulling in a clutch coasting down a hill? My bike is loud and pops a ton on decel so I tend to just idle down some hills around here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think the general reason people say to leave the drivetrain connected is to ensure a smooth application of power to the road. If you're cruising down the hill with your hand on the clutch, engine idling, and you suddenly have to dump the clutch to accelerate to avoid an accident (or you just lose your grip over a pothole or something) you risk locking up the rear wheel as the engine catches. You can smoothly control the engagement and get the engine up to speed without locking, for sure, but it's just adding an additional point of danger. Plus this obviously would be an even worse situation in a turn.

e: I just watched the video and what the hell. He doesn't just clutch in when he's turning, he does it whenever he's not accelerating. It makes his bike sound like one of those freewheeling electric scooters. Ridiculous

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 16, 2013

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh christ he's pulling in the clutch before a turn going uphill too. The video's heart-pounding for all the wrong reasons. poo poo he's making me nervous and all I'm doing is watching on my laptop.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I remember when I first started riding I was turning and pulled in the clutch and yelled at myself inside my helmet, "What the gently caress are you doing?!?!" Did it again a week later and still yelled at myself "What the gently caress, this feels wrong, don't do that!" It feels so wrong not throttling out of a turn.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Xovaan posted:

I can't watch the video, but what's wrong with pulling in a clutch coasting down a hill? My bike is loud and pops a ton on decel so I tend to just idle down some hills around here.

On the other hand it sounds loving awesome :)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

It looks like a bad photoshop to me

It isn't. HDR is a blight upon mankind. I still like the picture, but it could have so much more with so much less.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Angryboot posted:

Oh christ he's pulling in the clutch before a turn going uphill too. The video's heart-pounding for all the wrong reasons. poo poo he's making me nervous and all I'm doing is watching on my laptop.

I'm glad his mic setup was jacked, otherwise, I think I'd get even madder listening to whatever bullshit he was trying to talk about.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Xovaan posted:

I clutch in to coast but that's because I'm not confident my 2-stroke will stay lubricated while coasting in-gear.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It isn't. HDR is a blight upon mankind. I still like the picture, but it could have so much more with so much less.
HDR has its uses, but 99% of HDR photos you see aren't it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Like most things, if an HDR photograph is done properly, you won't actually notice the HDR effect at all. It'll just look like a really well-lit photograph.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I love abusing the "HDR Art" mode my point and shoot has. It is the absolute worst.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

I love abusing the "HDR Art" mode my point and shoot has. It is the absolute worst.

Hmm HDR or instagram effects, can't decide which make a photo look better. Maybe if you combined the two...

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

So jealous. I almost took the day off but decided to save it for spring scoot a couple of weekends later. How was the event?

Event was fun. Plenty of great bikes to see, good people to talk to and folks riding like dongs to shake your head at. Wish we showed up early enough to get in on the pancake feed action but whatever.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I just hit the 7 year month itch on my first bike, and then some rear end in a top hat had to go and bring this into work the other day to make things 10x worse. Not pictured - an admiring gaggle of coworkers; all answering that irresistible siren-song which arranges jabbering men into half-circles around fine machinery.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I just hit the 7 year month itch on my first bike, and then some rear end in a top hat had to go and bring this into work the other day to make things 10x worse. Not pictured - an admiring gaggle of coworkers; all answering that irresistible siren-song which arranges jabbering men into half-circles around fine machinery.

Man, some rear end in a top hat made an incredibly correct decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFd4t0M_XmU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O415dngDtY

Are these going to become the new squid bike? Or are they producing a new kind of squid? Seems like most of the SM videos are footage of people riding like dongs.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 17, 2013