Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scott Bakula posted:

Does anyone have tips on how to get more flavour into the bacon from the cure? The chilli and fennel I added to my cure don't really seem to have made much difference. Is this always likely to be the way?

My guess would be that the compounds or molecules from the pieces of chile/fennel you're using are too large for the belly to absorb very much. Perhaps grind them into a fine powder, and try that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I've been inspired by this thread to dive into charcuterie. I've been smoking food for a while now with a Bradley digital smoker, so this seems like the next logical step. Homemade bacon must happen and The Book is on order from amazon as we speak.

I live on the top floor of my apartment so I am limited in places to cure my meat (unless I hang it in my storage locker). I've been able to source out a wine fridge for use as a curing chamber, as well as get a Temp./Humidity sensor to stick in it. I plan on spending a bit of time dicking around with the setup to ensure I can get the proper environment inside the chamber. I'll start off using wet salt and see if that works to maintain humidity. I saw at least one person using a wine fridge for a setup, any other advice on how to set mine up?

Apologies if I've missed this in the thread already: Does anyone know of a supplier for Prague Powder in Vancouver BC that isn't Stuffers Supply Company? I want to pick some up but would prefer to avoid the trip out to Langley.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

sinburger posted:

I've been inspired by this thread to dive into charcuterie. I've been smoking food for a while now with a Bradley digital smoker, so this seems like the next logical step. Homemade bacon must happen and The Book is on order from amazon as we speak.

I live on the top floor of my apartment so I am limited in places to cure my meat (unless I hang it in my storage locker). I've been able to source out a wine fridge for use as a curing chamber, as well as get a Temp./Humidity sensor to stick in it. I plan on spending a bit of time dicking around with the setup to ensure I can get the proper environment inside the chamber. I'll start off using wet salt and see if that works to maintain humidity. I saw at least one person using a wine fridge for a setup, any other advice on how to set mine up?

Apologies if I've missed this in the thread already: Does anyone know of a supplier for Prague Powder in Vancouver BC that isn't Stuffers Supply Company? I want to pick some up but would prefer to avoid the trip out to Langley.

That was most likely me. All I have really done so far is use the tray of wet salt and check it once or twice a day and open the door if I need to if it's too humid. I would eventually like to get a fan installed into the side of the fridge to run when the humidity gets too high.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

dms666 posted:

That was most likely me. All I have really done so far is use the tray of wet salt and check it once or twice a day and open the door if I need to if it's too humid. I would eventually like to get a fan installed into the side of the fridge to run when the humidity gets too high.

Yea, I would imagine if the wine fridge is chilled using a cooling plate than cutting a hole in the side of the fridge for airflow wouldn't hit anything vital to the functionality of the fridge. All the reviews on the model of wine fridge I'm getting state that the door is faulty and leaves a bit of a gap between the seal and the chamber. I'm hoping if that's the case it'll work in my favour by allowing a bit of air flow between the times I open the door to check on it.

I'm trying to get as close as possible to the design here:
http://mattikaarts.com/blog/charcuterie/meat-curing-at-home-the-setup/

..except I don't have room for anything remotely approaching the size of a frost free fridge. I figure the worst case scenario is I wind up cutting some holes in the side of my $50 craigslist wine fridge and bolt on a computer fan attached to a hydrostat.

GOM
Jan 13, 2001

PWM POTM, September 2013

President & Founding Member of Cardiac Crew (x2)
I've made a few batches of bacon, mainly with some variety of a savory cure. (and Ruhman's Garlic-Sage Brined Pork chop is awesome, btw)

The best, so far, is the Country Bacon recipe from Belly to Bacon, even if I chickened out on the cold smoking by a large margin (24 hours, with a hot smoke finish versus 72 hours cold). Next batch will go the full 72 hours, even if I have to only smoke at night, as the bacon changed (postively) from when I pulled it off after hot smoking to a few days later. I will let you all know how a full 72 hours cold smoke does on the Country Bacon when done, but one really great thing about it is, even though I panicked and turned up the heat, there is a lot of unrendered fat when cold smoked. Just an observation, fwiw.

Question:

What is a good slicer that isn't over $300 or thereabouts?

I still suck at slicing and can think of a couple of other uses for a slicer, so I'm in the market, but would appreciate the benefit of goon wisdom.

I Lost My Password
Nov 12, 2009
The goods have arrived, let the games begin! Next stop is to get some pork belly to start My First Bacon.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I decided to have a go at corned beef, buying huge chunks of meat is not that easy in the UK so doing two smaller ones so I might smoke one part of it. I'll find out if it worked in 5 days I guess.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Aramoro posted:

I decided to have a go at corned beef, buying huge chunks of meat is not that easy in the UK so doing two smaller ones so I might smoke one part of it. I'll find out if it worked in 5 days I guess.

I did this, so I recommend you do them in separate bags/containers. If they're together, they might touch and any parts that are touching other meat are not going to be touching brine.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Saint Darwin posted:

I did this, so I recommend you do them in separate bags/containers. If they're together, they might touch and any parts that are touching other meat are not going to be touching brine.

I was just going to turn them each day to make sure they had a decent amount of brining all round. The weighing them down process means it's pressed on the bottom.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Scott Bakula posted:

The salt didn't overpower it, it was more that the chilli and fennel flavour just wasn't there. I used a tablespoon of fennel seeds bashed up a bit using a pestle and mortar

I've got no high falutin science to back myself up but in my experience dry stuff doesn't seem to affect the flavour of the meat very much. This is based on comparisons between the flavour of bacon I made using fresh thyme and rosemary vs dried thyme and rosemary.

Aramoro posted:

What are you having trouble finding? My local butchers has always been very helpful.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 3, 2013

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

What are you having trouble finding? My local butchers has always been very helpful.

Oh going to the butcher is fine, it's just for those Sunday morning whims when I want to do something like this.

Out of interest what the meat supposed to look like when it's in the brine?

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Aramoro posted:

Out of interest what the meat supposed to look like when it's in the brine?

Brown/grey and unappetizing. Boiling it makes it look even worse, then you slice it up to reveal the delicious pink insides. :)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Armed Neutrality posted:

Brown/grey and unappetizing. Boiling it makes it look even worse, then you slice it up to reveal the delicious pink insides. :)

How handy as mine was looking very grey when I had a look last night.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
So here is the bresaola (eye of round) I made. I'm not sure why the inside has different colors. The meat lost 35% of its weight, so according to Ruhlman I would think it is safe.

I know the outside definitely hardened more than the inside, I couldn't find any large casings to put it in to help even out the drying during the month long hang in the chamber. It tastes great, had primarily a cinnamon/clove cure, strong beef taste. Oh, and the color isn't from pink salt.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 5, 2013

holttho
May 21, 2007

Scott Bakula posted:

The salt didn't overpower it, it was more that the chilli and fennel flavour just wasn't there. I used a tablespoon of fennel seeds bashed up a bit using a pestle and mortar

:siren: PLAYING WITH FIRE ADVICE :siren:

A longer cure time with less salt is probably the only way to go. Also, grinding your spices smaller will help them 'get into the meat' a little easier. The thing you are fighting here is that salt readily dissolves into molecular scale and quickly penetrates the meat via osmosis. Spices do not. They just break into really tiny chunks after a while in the brine and attempt to barge their way in. If you reduce the amount of salt, but give it a longer cure time, you may be able to stave off over-salting your meat by allowing its saline content to come to equilibrium slower and simply giving the smaller-ground spices a chance to penetrate further. But remember, there are a lot of other variables at work that may cause this to not work. E.g. not curing fast enough to stave off bacteria growth.

Another idea that would definitely take a gentle hand would be to inject small amounts of highly spiced brine directly into the meat in a ton of teeny-tiny doses. The saline content of that would be the same as the brine outside, so it wouldn't over-salt, but this would ensure that some of the spice would have nowhere to run. But, you'd have to make sure you did a literal poo poo-tonne of miniature injections. Like every square centimeter. Any less frequent with bigger injections would just lead to an uneven, potentially flavor-bombed piece of meat.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I took my first bit of corned beef (following the Rhulman recipe) out and boiled it up and it was super tasty. The only thing was it was only pink to about half an inch into the meat. It all tasted fine but it was as if the nitrates had not penetrated deep enough (or perhaps any of the cure). What went wrong?

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

Aramoro posted:

So I took my first bit of corned beef (following the Rhulman recipe) out and boiled it up and it was super tasty. The only thing was it was only pink to about half an inch into the meat. It all tasted fine but it was as if the nitrates had not penetrated deep enough (or perhaps any of the cure). What went wrong?

How long did you leave it in the brine? I did a thick brisket for six days, and it was pink all the way through except for this grey sliver that ran through the center. I was thinking an extra day or two would have done the job.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same thing happened to me with the Ruhlman corned beef. Needs more time in the brine I think.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Timo posted:

How long did you leave it in the brine? I did a thick brisket for six days, and it was pink all the way through except for this grey sliver that ran through the center. I was thinking an extra day or two would have done the job.

I did 2 bits, both in for 5 days I think the first bit which I boiled was quite a dense bit of meat. The second one I did sous vide style for 15 hours and it came out perfectly pink all the way though, it had a bit of a looser texture when raw though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since you're in the UK, what did your brisket look like when you bought it? What I see as brisket looks really different to the US cut. Assuming you used brisket anyway

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scott Bakula posted:

Since you're in the UK, what did your brisket look like when you bought it? What I see as brisket looks really different to the US cut. Assuming you used brisket anyway

It looked pretty much exactly like this, except I cut the strings to let it unroll.

I got 2 pieces from the butcher counter, first bit was really solid and very fresh the second had a bit more age to it, loosened up a bit. First one made better sandwiches, second one made better hash.

I Lost My Password
Nov 12, 2009
My Charcuting carrier starts today with a basic Bacon.

I picked up a 1.7Kg pork belly from the local butcher. Organically raised heritage breed from a local farm, I expect nothing less from Vancouver Island.

I am using the Basic Dry Cure from Ruhlman scaled down to my single piece.

Dry Cure
24g - Kosher Salt
22g - Dextrose
4g - Curing Salt

Rub that critter down real good like.

Now put it snugly to bed in a zip lock bag.

Now to play the waiting game...

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What are you guys paying for pork side/belly?
I just called the only butcher in my city that has it. It comes frozen, in 8lb hunks, and at $4.19 a lb. That seems god drat ridiculous to me, as I can get fresh 'good' cuts for less than half that.

edit: should say "only one that I've found that has it", I haven't checked the mexican markets yet, and the other meat places seem mostly to cater to larger operations.

I see that there. fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 15, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If you can't find belly use pork loin and make back bacon. People say that belly tastes better because of the fat but I find that the cure is way more important and they both taste the same. Belly is better if you're going to render out the fat to fry the rest of a meal in but most loin I buy tends to have a good hunk of fat on the top that you can fry first.

It'll probably be more expensive but it goes on sale fairly regularly where I am in England and it still works out about the same price as normal bacon when its not on sale.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Mexican market is the way to go. La Michoacana has it for ~2.19/lb, and I've seen it as low as 1.69 on sale. Also, backbacon is good. I should probably do one while whole loin is 1.99/lb this week.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Forgot to post this back when I took it down in February, but this is how my pepper-cardamom lonza turned out.

The other side isn't as red and almost seemed kinda raw. I ate it anyway and suffered no ill effects, but I probably should have cured it longer. I think the big problem was that I left the bone in the loin, which must have kept the meat moist longer. Next time I'll take it out. Definitely something to try again though.

This is what I was doing with it when I wasn't chopping it into chunks to throw into polenta.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
In WNY I've seen bellies cost about $2.5-3 a pound for frozen with skin on at public markets. Its also available at about one meat market (Palmers) in my area for $4 a pound with out skin.

The asian food market that I went to had them for about $3, maybe less but they were significantly worse looking cuts and much smaller, in the range of about 1-2 pounds.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That just seems so high to me. I can get whole pork loins for like $1.19 when they go on sale. For a cut they don't even normally offer in the store, you'd think they'd have a better price on them. I guess there's more supply of loins at that level of consumerism though I suppose.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
That's just it. It's a cut of pork that your average consumer doesn't normally buy. They take up a lot of room on the shelf or in the cooler too.

I think the last time I looked at oscar myer bacon it was about $6-$7 a pound so buying our own is still cheaper and significantly better tasting than store bought. Making bacon, similar to making beer isn't about saving money, it's about creating something that is unique and delicious.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Just took my pancetta down. Hung in the closet for roughly 5 weeks. I stopped weighing them a few batches ago, but I would wager this is roughly 30% weight loss. I also found that draping a damp paper towel over the meat daily for the first week or two really evens out the drying process. No outer case hardening at all this time around. (except described below)

A little meatier than normal, but if that's the worst thing to happen to me this week, I'll be happy. Time for some carbonara!

I get mine here in Chicago from Peoria Packing usually for about $1.79/lb for the thing; fresh and skin on. They've got every part of a cow/pig/chicken/turkey/fish that you could ever want. And most of the other parts that you wouldn't want. And its all dirt cheap. The place is phenomenal if you know what you're doing.

A question for anyone else with experience with pancetta rolls: Has anyone had any good ideas/methods/techniques to reduce the amount of loss on the butt ends of the roll? I always lose about 1" on both ends because they turn rock hard. I might try painting on some food-grade wax next time so that the roll can't dry axially, but I have no idea how that'll turn out.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

femcastra posted:

Bacon!!!!!

The piece down the bottom on the right was from my last batch of bacon prior to getting the curing salt. You can see the difference in colour pretty clearly, but here's another shot anyway:

Apart from the difference in colour, the taste was undeniably different too, much closer to bacon than my previous efforts. All my bacon so far is oven bacon, that's probably how it's gotta be while I'm here in Japan, but I feel like I've turned a corner with the inclusion of some nitrates/nitrites.

I cut up a bit of it tonight, fried it, and put it in pasta bake, and it was awesome.

Hey, I missed this the first time around. How'd you slice that?

I'm in Japan as well and I really don't want to give up space for a slicer. I figured I'd go ask a butcher if they'd slice it for me, but I'd like to hear how you did it.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Stringent posted:

Hey, I missed this the first time around. How'd you slice that?

I'm in Japan as well and I really don't want to give up space for a slicer. I figured I'd go ask a butcher if they'd slice it for me, but I'd like to hear how you did it.

Honestly I just used a big sharp knife to slice all that up. I got a pretty good knife set off amazon and picked up a knife sharpener at the same time. Before I sliced this batch up, I gave the biggest knife in the block a good sharpening and then had at it.

Here's links to the knife set and sharpener on amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/cd3qpyv

http://tinyurl.com/d48tt3p

Incidentally, my in-laws were in town recently and spent some time visiting us in our apartment. My father in law spent some time sharpening up our knives with the knife sharpener (he's an ex-butcher, that's what he does when he visits family) and he said the knife sharpener was "pretty drat good", so there's one testimonial for you.

Good luck! Home-made bacon is the best. Where in Japan are you? I can probably spare some curing salts if you need some and you're in the Tokyo area.

femcastra fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 24, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got a brisket to make pastrami with and was wondering how long I should leave it in the brine? Ruhlman only recommends 2-3 days but that seems a bit short. I'm only going to have the time to cook it at a weekend so would it be a mistake to brine it for a week and brine it on saturday or is that a mistake and I should brine it tonight to smoke it for sunday?

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !
I just bought a Kenwood major with the sausage tool.

Do you think I can do some sausages with this ? I want to make some dry ones. I can leave them some time in my cellar :).

Do you have some good recipes for it ?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So I have begun curing salmon and noticed in a post on page 1 or 2 Slung Blade doing what appears to be curing it in a jar. Has anyone else had success salt curing in this way? I was under the impression you wanted a tight wrap of some kind on it to cure the meat. It would be much easier for me to use this huge swing-top jar to cure in if that is possible.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Saucisson Sec with hazelnuts (bottom) and a spicy salami (top). Time to hang em up and be back in a month, eh!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Bacon round 1 is out of cure and partially sliced. Ruhlmann's base cure, plus black pepper and a little bit of oregano. The general consensus is "yup that's some tasty bacon."

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I'll be cold smoking then cooking my first batch of bacon today. I bought 2.2 kg (4.8 lbs) of pork belly from the local butcher (3Ps in North Vancouver for any lower mainland goons) and put them into a basic cure + chili powder, pepper and ground cumin on the 14th. No liquid has seeped out of the meat after the first week of curing, and the bacon didn't seem to be getting as firm as I would've liked it, so after a week I put another 25 g of cure into the mix and let it sit for another 5 days. I had a bit of liquid come out and the meat seemed to have firmed up a bit so hopefully I have a decent distribution of cure through the meat.

I pulled it out of the fridge this morning to rinse it off and I'm letting it surface dry in the fridge right now to try and get a bit of a pelicle to form before putting it in the smoker. The plan is to cold smoke for about 3 hours, let it sit, then hot smoke at temperature until it is cooked.

I'll post pictures this afternoon as it happen

sinburger fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 29, 2013

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Alright, so after a busy day of sitting on my deck watching the smoker run I've decided that store bought bacon is for the birds.

Here's the two slabs of belly after the cure and a bit of drying in the fridge:

They were cured with some chili powder in the dry cure which gave them the redness on the outside. By the time they went in the smoker they were a bit tacky to the touch.

Slapped onto the hooks...:

...and loaded into the smoke box:

Three hours of cold smoke later"

And then 2.5 hours at 200°F with the smoke running:

Direct into the pan:

And then plated and served for mastication with friends:

My better half also fried up the skins in strips with the bacon fat and we crunched on that. It was so good, like a slutty potato chip that wanted to give up the flavor but you had to soften her up a bit (with chewing!) first.

All in all, first pass at bacon was a great success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchlover
Dec 29, 2012
Well, my first ever attempt at bacon is curing now. 1.4kg of belly, Ruhlman's basic cure with black pepper and chilli flakes. I'd like to turn half of it into bacon and the rest into pancetta. Does pancetta give off a smell whilst it's hanging? That might be a problem, since it'll hang above my desk.

• Locked thread