Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

It looks like it's worth about $86-$172

Not bad for a Value Village find. I went through and sorted all the pieces, it think its only missing like 12 total, and they're not super rare pieces or anything. Guess I'll try my luck finding it a good home for someone that digs Technic/Mindstorms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

i81icu812 posted:

Fire brigade is awesome. I would recommend that. You really can't go wrong with any of the ones that are on sale now. Cinema looks amazing from the outside, but the interior is rather unimpressive. Really depends if you get the sets just for display or not.

I'm getting all of them, starting with the Fire Brigade. I got the pet shop already. I really like the big, complicated buildings the best.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I would check to make sure that the Mindstorms doesn't have corroded batteries in it. I had one in the closet, sold it for $200, then tested it to make sure it worked. Batteries were all gross and it wouldn't power up with fresh ones. So I ended up getting more like $100 for it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Shop.lego and Amazon both have Lone Ranger sets now. Just ordered the stagecoach, had a $5 Amazon card thanks to endlessly searching with Bing to accrue BingPoints or whatever they're called. Will get the town set once I have another $5bux.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

I would check to make sure that the Mindstorms doesn't have corroded batteries in it. I had one in the closet, sold it for $200, then tested it to make sure it worked. Batteries were all gross and it wouldn't power up with fresh ones. So I ended up getting more like $100 for it.

Oh yeah, definitely, first thing I did was pull the batteries out of it. It still worked but I wasn't going to risk it.

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

Saint Sputnik posted:

Shop.lego and Amazon both have Lone Ranger sets now. Just ordered the stagecoach, had a $5 Amazon card thanks to endlessly searching with Bing to accrue BingPoints or whatever they're called. Will get the town set once I have another $5bux.

Just went to my local Lego store this morning to pick up some stuff and they had the Lone Ranger stuff out, I got the stage coach myself, it's really nicely done (though there's only one bar of silver in the safe).

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions on a good mini-fig display case? I purchased a bunch of Marvel and Ninja Turtle sets and I want to display just the mini-figs. Nothing too fancy but still sleek looking.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Just saw a boatload of Minecraft sets at a brick-and-mortar Barnes and Noble. Just a head's up.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions on a good mini-fig display case? I purchased a bunch of Marvel and Ninja Turtle sets and I want to display just the mini-figs. Nothing too fancy but still sleek looking.

I got the multi-layer display case from The container store. It displays mini-figs really well.

Has there been any new word on the Back to the Future set yet? I'm still really pumped for it.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Decided to visit my neighbourhood toy store, and they had the new series in stock.
My first haul was successful, only missing the second sea captain.

No Mr. Gold for me, though.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
Does anyone have an extra Mad Scientist from one of the earlier minifig series? I'd love to be able to get my hands on one for the lab office!

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Series 10 cases have been spotted at Fred Meyers in Washington

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I was wondering if you know how to figure out when a set is coming out. I was looking at DUPLO stuff on Brickset and I saw a set I wanted to get for my kids: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10505-1 However when I went to the lego store they had no idea what I was talking about. The one girl tried to google it and said it wasn't available in the US. Is it possible it's just not out yet and will be released later? I notice that they have it up on the US site for DUPLO http://duplo.lego.com/en-us/products/10505-play-house/ Is there also away to find out MSRP on it?

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Rathina posted:

I was wondering if you know how to figure out when a set is coming out. I was looking at DUPLO stuff on Brickset and I saw a set I wanted to get for my kids: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10505-1 However when I went to the lego store they had no idea what I was talking about. The one girl tried to google it and said it wasn't available in the US. Is it possible it's just not out yet and will be released later? I notice that they have it up on the US site for DUPLO http://duplo.lego.com/en-us/products/10505-play-house/ Is there also away to find out MSRP on it?

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/10505_Family_House

Lego Wikia sometimes has that information about sets. You can get it here in Europe for around 50 euros (65 dollars plus shipping).

engessa fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 17, 2013

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

engessa posted:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/10505_Family_House

Lego Wikia sometimes has that information about sets. You can get it here in Europe for around 50 euros (65 dollars plus shipping).

Ok Thank you. Are there any websites that anyone knows of that you can purchase from or I just need to try my luck on Ebay? Hoping the price will drop as the year goes on... it goes for $150+shipping on ebay :(

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Rathina posted:

Ok Thank you. Are there any websites that anyone knows of that you can purchase from or I just need to try my luck on Ebay? Hoping the price will drop as the year goes on... it goes for $150+shipping on ebay :(

Try amazon. Both the .com, .co.uk, .fr, and .de flavors.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Went on a field trip with my son's 5th grade class to Chicago and we stopped by the Shedd Aquarium. The gift shop had TMNT Lego sets which I thought was... a bit of a stretch. Then I looked over to a shelf full Lego Friend sets. That one I couldn't make even a tenuous connection. I was too amazed to even see what kind of prices they gave them but I'm assuming TRU level markup.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They always sell Lego anywhere that has "learning" connection. Sure, it would've been cool if they could've sold sets based on a Lego Undersea collection, but lacking that, standard Lego will do. Besides, it's more likely parents will buy it if it's presented in a child learning and problem solving context, instead of a just as a toy at the toy store next to Batman and..... I don't know, Yu-Gi Oh? Is that still a thing?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, Amazon US has a promo for a free mini fig with the order of Lego City Undercover

http://www.amazon.com/Lego-City-Undercover-Nintendo-Wii-U/dp/B002I0K3PM/ref=pd_bxgy_vg_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0GV8A/ref=ox_ya_os_product

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ignore me.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Does anyone know of string of similar thickness as that of Lego "ropes"? Sewing thread works but is too thin, really, making it less durable. Household string is usually too thick and doesn't come in black.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just snagged a sealed Sopwith Camel for 60$ off CL, and that was the asking price. Feels good.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Does anyone know of string of similar thickness as that of Lego "ropes"? Sewing thread works but is too thin, really, making it less durable. Household string is usually too thick and doesn't come in black.

You want black 1mm waxed cotton cord and can pick it up at a fabric store. $10 will usually get you 150 feet of it. Older sets like the pirate ships used nylon cord.

http://www.bricklink.com/browseList.asp?itemType=P&catString=231 You can always go with bricklink to get some of it but you will pay more for it there then a fabric store.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChesterJT posted:

Went on a field trip with my son's 5th grade class to Chicago and we stopped by the Shedd Aquarium. The gift shop had TMNT Lego sets which I thought was... a bit of a stretch. Then I looked over to a shelf full Lego Friend sets. That one I couldn't make even a tenuous connection. I was too amazed to even see what kind of prices they gave them but I'm assuming TRU level markup.

The store at the museum where I work stocked minifigs and more sets than usual when we had the traveling LEGO Castle Adventure exhibit.

The minifigs were marked up so high that my employee discount wouldn't bring them to the Target/Wal-mart price.

The best part though, is that there's no general LEGO Castle theme out right now. The store ordered a ton of Playmobil boxes instead.

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

A cereal box came in the mail for me today, and though its contents are not edible, they are still quite delicious.

Now to grab my friend and get a workable chassis. From there I plan on giving it a full System body instead of a Technic wireframe body, but honestly I have no clue what I'm doing. This will be fun. :v:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Just be careful not to make a trap:

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
I'd like to report that the Wal-marts in my area (South Bend, IN) have the Monster Fighter line about 40% off. I'd buy every one of them, but I already did at full price last fall.

Readblood
Nov 9, 2005
It looks like all the spacemen are catching Space Madness.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Readblood posted:

It looks like all the spacemen are catching Space Madness.

Hey! who turned out the lights? Hey! Who turned out the lights?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Quick trip report. I hit 4 Fred Meyers in Washington today.

Bonney Lake: No series 10 at all.
Puyallup (River Road): One box, only 11 figures left.
Puyallup (Meridian): 13 boxes! 3 sealed! I set one aside to buy and opened up the other two boxes and felt through them. No Mr. Golds, as best as I ccould tell. The other 10 boxes were all opened and rifled through already, so I didn't bother with them.
Sumner: 4 boxes, two sealed. I opened one up and started feeling the packages, when a mom and her two sons started talking about Series 10. When they noticed the Mr. Gold promo, I told them how rare it was. She asked what they were going for on ebay, so I looked them up.
Holy poo poo. After the mom saw that, she decided to take a gamble and bought the other sealed box before I could go through it.

I'm fairly confident that the ones I checked were absent Mr. Gold. The clown's hat is a little deceptive until you detect the angle, and the painter's bucket is about the right size, but has indents on either side and no rim.
Haven't gone through my purchased box yet. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Edit: Nope.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 20, 2013

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Its something like 1 in 350 cases, almost a pointless hunt.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Merchant of Death posted:

You want black 1mm waxed cotton cord and can pick it up at a fabric store. $10 will usually get you 150 feet of it. Older sets like the pirate ships used nylon cord.

http://www.bricklink.com/browseList.asp?itemType=P&catString=231 You can always go with bricklink to get some of it but you will pay more for it there then a fabric store.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking at rebuilding my Black Seas Barracuda, so knowing what the cord was made of back then is great!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Managed to find a store with S.10 today, looked like it had already been picked over several times, but managed to find 14 unique figures (and a bunch of extra romans).
Also found a planet set for half off and a galaxy squad polybag (30230), for 50 cents more than the minifigs. Neat quick build.

Ika fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 20, 2013

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Pyroclastic posted:

Quick trip report. I hit 4 Fred Meyers in Washington today.

Bonney Lake: No series 10 at all.
Puyallup (River Road): One box, only 11 figures left.
Puyallup (Meridian): 13 boxes! 3 sealed! I set one aside to buy and opened up the other two boxes and felt through them. No Mr. Golds, as best as I ccould tell. The other 10 boxes were all opened and rifled through already, so I didn't bother with them.
Sumner: 4 boxes, two sealed. I opened one up and started feeling the packages, when a mom and her two sons started talking about Series 10. When they noticed the Mr. Gold promo, I told them how rare it was. She asked what they were going for on ebay, so I looked them up.
Holy poo poo. After the mom saw that, she decided to take a gamble and bought the other sealed box before I could go through it.

I'm fairly confident that the ones I checked were absent Mr. Gold. The clown's hat is a little deceptive until you detect the angle, and the painter's bucket is about the right size, but has indents on either side and no rim.
Haven't gone through my purchased box yet. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Edit: Nope.

I'm pretty much new to the whole lego thing since my kids are still young enough for the Duplo Blocks...but I'm always wanting a thrill. So you kind of just feel through the package...are you trying to feel the top hat? Are these commonly sold at ToysRus/Target? How much does it cost for a packet? I'm pretty much getting tired of buying hot wheels cars every time we go to Target, so it' might be a fun thing for me and my 4 year old to do together...though I haven't introduced him to Lego's just yet, only the Duplo's because I have a 2 year old and I'm not really ready yet for picking up tiny tiny choking hazards off the floor LOL. Are the rest of the figures pretty evenly dispersed through the boxes or are there ones slightly more rare then others?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Rathina posted:

I'm pretty much new to the whole lego thing since my kids are still young enough for the Duplo Blocks...but I'm always wanting a thrill. So you kind of just feel through the package...are you trying to feel the top hat? Are these commonly sold at ToysRus/Target? How much does it cost for a packet? I'm pretty much getting tired of buying hot wheels cars every time we go to Target, so it' might be a fun thing for me and my 4 year old to do together...though I haven't introduced him to Lego's just yet, only the Duplo's because I have a 2 year old and I'm not really ready yet for picking up tiny tiny choking hazards off the floor LOL. Are the rest of the figures pretty evenly dispersed through the boxes or are there ones slightly more rare then others?

Yeah, if you're trying to get specific minifigs, you have to carefully feel through the package for their key pieces. For Mr. Gold, that's his top hat.

They're commonly sold at lots of stores, although I haven't seen them in Target for a long time. Fred Meyer is great if you're in the northwest US, since they tend to get a lot of boxes and leave them in their boxes. TRU doesn't seem to get as many, but they get them more consistently, although they tend to dump the boxes into endcap displays.
Cost is usually $2.50-3.50 per figure, with the higher figure usually being TRU's price.
Every box has an identical distribution of figures, and so far it's always been a minimum of 2 complete sets per box with 'army building' quantities of others (although why they decided skydivers needed army building is beyond me). For instance, Series 10's distribution is
2 Librarians
2 Medusa
6 Roman Commanders
4 Warrior Women
4 Tomahawk Warriors
6 Skydivers
2 Bumblebee Girls
2 Grandpas
4 Paintball Players
2 Sea Captains
4 Sad Clowns
4 Revolutionary Solders
6 Baseball Fielders
2 Trendsetter
4 Decorators
6 Motorcycle Mechanics

Earlier series have had somewhat more even distributions, usually 3 sets per box with 12 'extras', but the last couple have stuck to the 2 sets thing.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Every box has the exact same distribution of figures? That's news to me.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Pyroclastic posted:

Yeah, if you're trying to get specific minifigs, you have to carefully feel through the package for their key pieces. For Mr. Gold, that's his top hat.

They're commonly sold at lots of stores, although I haven't seen them in Target for a long time. Fred Meyer is great if you're in the northwest US, since they tend to get a lot of boxes and leave them in their boxes. TRU doesn't seem to get as many, but they get them more consistently, although they tend to dump the boxes into endcap displays.
Cost is usually $2.50-3.50 per figure, with the higher figure usually being TRU's price.
Every box has an identical distribution of figures, and so far it's always been a minimum of 2 complete sets per box with 'army building' quantities of others (although why they decided skydivers needed army building is beyond me). For instance, Series 10's distribution is
2 Librarians
2 Medusa
6 Roman Commanders
4 Warrior Women
4 Tomahawk Warriors
6 Skydivers
2 Bumblebee Girls
2 Grandpas
4 Paintball Players
2 Sea Captains
4 Sad Clowns
4 Revolutionary Solders
6 Baseball Fielders
2 Trendsetter
4 Decorators
6 Motorcycle Mechanics

Earlier series have had somewhat more even distributions, usually 3 sets per box with 12 'extras', but the last couple have stuck to the 2 sets thing.

Oh that is interesting...I wonder if you had a really sensitive scale you could weigh sealed boxes..since each box should weigh the same. Though I'm not sure how much of a difference in weights a box with the rare one switched out would be. Would probably have to measure in grams right?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rathina posted:

Oh that is interesting...I wonder if you had a really sensitive scale you could weigh sealed boxes..since each box should weigh the same. Though I'm not sure how much of a difference in weights a box with the rare one switched out would be. Would probably have to measure in grams right?

You'd probably lose any signal in the noise of varying package trimming and even relative humidity (different amounts of moisture in the cardboard). There's probably a couple of grams variance between any two identically packed boxes.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
It'd work if the Mr Gold was included in addition to the regular 60, instead of in place of one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

MaliciousOnion posted:

It'd work if the Mr Gold was included in addition to the regular 60, instead of in place of one of them.

Then all people would have do is count for an extra bag.

Seriously give up folks, it is not worth obsessing over.