Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I have my iPad synched with my computer and put some apps on it. Then I deleted the .ipa files from my computer. Next time I sync the iPad will it delete those apps off it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reposting from the iPhone thread because I'm not sure if it's a problem with iOS or my apps:

I just tried using the text-to-speech feature of both Google Maps and Apple Maps for driving directions, but I can't get either app to talk to me! Any ideas if this is a bug?

I'm on a 4s with the latest version of iOS.

edit: nevermind, they're working now

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 11, 2013

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

FreakyZoid posted:

I have my iPad synched with my computer and put some apps on it. Then I deleted the .ipa files from my computer. Next time I sync the iPad will it delete those apps off it?

If you deleted the files from Finder, but not the entries from ITunes, you'll be fine.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Pascallion posted:

Any way to view Google My Places maps on the iPhone?

My Maps Editor may do what you want, assuming I understand the question.

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight
Downcast is 99c today. Lowest historical price.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

The Batman posted:

Hell, that's worth it just to try it out. I'm starting to tire of Instacast's poor performance [on my 4S - might be better on the 5 of course].

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

The Batman posted:

Go buy this, and immediately set up the Automatic Feed Refreshing: At Locations option. It'll give you auto-downloads whenever you come home, get to school/work, etc. Best feature of Downcast.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

PFlats posted:

Go buy this, and immediately set up the Automatic Feed Refreshing: At Locations option. It'll give you auto-downloads whenever you come home, get to school/work, etc. Best feature of Downcast.

Holy poo poo, I've been using Downcast for a while now and never noticed this. Thanks a ton.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Does anyone know the differences between the free version of Mercury Browser and the 99¢ "Pro" version? The app descriptions don't mention any difference beyond video out for the Pro version.

silloh
Sep 5, 2008
Is there a setting within downcast or ios to make the podcast play over whatever else I'm running?

I'll often be playing games on my iPhone and I want to be able to listen to my podcasts without the ingame sounds also playing.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

silloh posted:

Is there a setting within downcast or ios to make the podcast play over whatever else I'm running?

I'll often be playing games on my iPhone and I want to be able to listen to my podcasts without the ingame sounds also playing.
That depends on whether the game allows background music or not; I've played games with Downcast playing stuff in the background before.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Anyone aware of a decent iOS audio player that will let you edit the genre of songs in addition to star ratings? I have a lot of EDM songs that are listed as "Dance/DJ" and I'd love to be able to change them over to the more specific genre names.

silloh
Sep 5, 2008

duckfarts posted:

That depends on whether the game allows background music or not; I've played games with Downcast playing stuff in the background before.

But there's no sort of universal iOS or Downcast setting? I've noticed the same thing too, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what games do or don't allow it.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
This has to be a very remedial question but I've never thought about it. Is there an app to merely download all pics/videos that were sent to my phone and save them to a windows machine?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
You could just install the iCloud control panel and it will automatically download any pic you take to your photostream folder. As for videos, plug the phone into a computer and it shows up as a camera and you could grab them manually that way.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

silloh posted:

But there's no sort of universal iOS or Downcast setting? I've noticed the same thing too, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what games do or don't allow it.
Nope; it really is based on the game/app whether it allows background audio to continue playing.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

serebralassazin posted:

You could just install the iCloud control panel and it will automatically download any pic you take to your photostream folder. As for videos, plug the phone into a computer and it shows up as a camera and you could grab them manually that way.

Thanks but I'm referring to pics/videos sent to me. Ifunbox seems to be the way to go.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Why can't I use dictation on the Facebook message app? The button for it is grayed out. I've googled this a bunch of times to make sure it's not some setting that I have turned off or something, but I couldn't really find any answers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Why can't I use dictation on the Facebook message app? The button for it is grayed out. I've googled this a bunch of times to make sure it's not some setting that I have turned off or something, but I couldn't really find any answers.
Don't have the FB app so can't check that, but I've seen dictation disabled for no apparent reason in other apps when it should work fine. I think when that happens killing the app (exit out, bring up the app switcher, manually kill the app) and starting it up again gets it to work.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Can you copy and paste properly in Facebook's apps yet? If not then it might be due to using non-standard text entry fields.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Thanks but I'm referring to pics/videos sent to me. Ifunbox seems to be the way to go.

If you have Dropbox, you can send any received video to the app and it'll upload/sync to your PC or you can set the dropbox app to import your camera roll whenever the app is opened. (It's how I grab all my shot from the phone)

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Neurophonic posted:

Can you copy and paste properly in Facebook's apps yet?

Nope. I'd been pretty happy with the "native" app until I tried to paste for the first time a couple days ago and realized it's still a busted piece of poo poo. :allears:

Nicer than the old HTML app, sure, but I don't know how you gently caress things up as often and as badly as Facebook's iOS developer(s).

Also: Instagram. Hope you don't have a long or secure password, because you're typing that fucker out by hand now that Facebook owns it!

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

fordan posted:

Anyone aware of a decent iOS audio player that will let you edit the genre of songs in addition to star ratings? I have a lot of EDM songs that are listed as "Dance/DJ" and I'd love to be able to change them over to the more specific genre names.

Not sure on an app that would help you, but can't you just change the genres in iTunes?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unacknowledged posted:

Not sure on an app that would help you, but can't you just change the genres in iTunes?

Obligates you to be at home and have the iDevice plugged into the computer.

Updating song tags on the fly would be pretty cool.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Speaking of Facebook they're updating the app to have Facebook Home's chat heads, due to IOS limitations they'll only be visible in the app though... how pointless.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Does that mean FB chat will work in FB app and I don't need the FB messenger app now? I hate having two apps to be able to use Facebook on my iPhone.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Messaging has been built into the main FB app for a long time now.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It never worked properly in the main app which is why I thought they released a stand alone messenger app.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You have it backwards, messenger was released as a standalone app first. At some point later on they integrated it into main iOS app after they did the overhaul from html5 to native.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
A Verge article on the Facebook 6.0 update.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

Obligates you to be at home and have the iDevice plugged into the computer.

Updating song tags on the fly would be pretty cool.

Yes, I could update in iTunes. Heck, with iTunes Match, I can even update on my work machine and have it propagate everywhere. But I'd prefer to be able to also do it on the fly while listening to new tracks on my iPhone.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

fordan posted:

Yes, I could update in iTunes. Heck, with iTunes Match, I can even update on my work machine and have it propagate everywhere. But I'd prefer to be able to also do it on the fly while listening to new tracks on my iPhone.

I don't think apps are allowed to change the iTunes library data at all.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Facebook 6.0 is out. It's a decent update, looks better but I still think chat heads are a tad pointless.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Where do I go in the new facebook app to acquire these stickers?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

parasyte posted:

I don't think apps are allowed to change the iTunes library data at all.

Well, you can change the track rating, but could easily believe that Apple blocks access to other changes.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

DarkJC posted:

You have it backwards, messenger was released as a standalone app first. At some point later on they integrated it into main iOS app after they did the overhaul from html5 to native.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am talking about this app: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/facebook-messenger/id454638411?mt=8

FB App 6 still feels slow for chatting and the biggest reason I use the FB messenger app is because it has landscape mode typing. I have no idea why they don't let you switch to landscape for chatting in the main app.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Housh posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am talking about this app: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/facebook-messenger/id454638411?mt=8

FB App 6 still feels slow for chatting and the biggest reason I use the FB messenger app is because it has landscape mode typing. I have no idea why they don't let you switch to landscape for chatting in the main app.

You asked if chat 'will work' in the main FB app. I said that yes, it has been in there for a long time now. You said it never 'worked properly' in the main app which is why they released a standalone app. I said you got it backwards, and that the app you linked was released before they even added messenger support to the main app.

Now that you've clarified that your criteria for chat 'working' is having landscape support, I can tell you that no, landscape still is unsupported in the newest update. That's a far cry from asking whether messaging works in the main app or not though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just jumped on the Mailbox train as anyone can get it now and holy smokes is this a great app. Any way for me to have it open mail links or is this a jailbreak option?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

fordan posted:

Well, you can change the track rating, but could easily believe that Apple blocks access to other changes.

I'm curious which apps do this. Looking around at the documentation, apps that use the iPod classes to host interfaces like the iPod app may get it that way, but the docs say when getting media items all properties are read-only (but user-defined properties like last played date and rating update as if you were using the iPod app).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

TraderStav posted:

Just jumped on the Mailbox train as anyone can get it now and holy smokes is this a great app. Any way for me to have it open mail links or is this a jailbreak option?

Don't think so, as I wanted that with the Gmail app too.

• Locked thread