Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I use a grip of UYD lingo all the time. I work in a small, rural prefecture in Japan, and some of the other foreign teachers have begun to absorb stuff from me. "Boner rage" and to a lesser extent "boned down" have definitely entered our shared vocabulary, and I've caught at least one of my friends using "I'm not mad at ______". There's one other guy from New Zealand here I got into it, but other than that, the only exposure they've had is the two of us, or me putting an ep on in the car on a roadtrip.

Really need to drop that 3 hour Craigshouse compilation on my mp3 player to up the ante.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Someone needs to make Doctor Hansen proud and make a compilation of all the TCAP recaps as well. Those are incredible.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Damo posted:

This thread is so cute when you guys start talking about how cool basic LA lingo and slang is :3:

To be fair, Seth does make it a lot cooler than it normally is/sounds around here. Most people just sound loving stupid talking that way.

I only really hang out in OC and Whittier granted but the only one of these I've heard outside of UYD is "grip".

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Really need to drop that 3 hour Craigshouse compilation on my mp3 player to up the ante.

Speaking of that, does anyone have a working mirror for this? The link in the OP is down

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Xemloth posted:

Speaking of that, does anyone have a working mirror for this? The link in the OP is down
I uploaded one a little while back, it should still work. I'm on my phone right now and can't look it up, but if you go through my posts you should find it

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Insanity Prawn posted:

I uploaded one a little while back, it should still work. I'm on my phone right now and can't look it up, but if you go through my posts you should find it

Thanks. Had a look, that one is down too. I need to get my fix of ultimate Craigshouse

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
^^^ I'll check when I get home if I still have it saved, I'll put it up somewhere if I do

Marc just posted on Facebook, the uyd episode is up on Thursday

Insanity Prawn fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 16, 2013

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

Damo posted:

This thread is so cute when you guys start talking about how cool basic LA lingo and slang is :3:

Why you gotta front, dog? Whatevs.

("Whatevs" is what I say to my wife when I want to piss her off. Thanks Seth and J-dog!)

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
So... they said they were gonna start uploading episodes on Monday again, right?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I use a grip of UYD lingo all the time. I work in a small, rural prefecture in Japan, and some of the other foreign teachers have begun to absorb stuff from me. "Boner rage" and to a lesser extent "boned down" have definitely entered our shared vocabulary, and I've caught at least one of my friends using "I'm not mad at ______". There's one other guy from New Zealand here I got into it, but other than that, the only exposure they've had is the two of us, or me putting an ep on in the car on a roadtrip.

I used boning before I listened to UYD because I'd got it from Achewood. I guess it's a California thing?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Marc Maron just tweeted that UYD will be on his podcast next Monday. Can't wait to hear this one.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

They just tweeted the WTF ep drops next Monday ! :dance:

edit: ^^^ coming to murder you irl

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Actually now that others mention it, I use "boner rage" and "bone down" a lot these days. Mostly just with my GF, who I've introduced to UYD but who will never understand it.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Full boner rage might not be the best lingo to sling with your girlfriend.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Xemloth posted:

Thanks. Had a look, that one is down too. I need to get my fix of ultimate Craigshouse
I uploaded it on a different site now, so hopefully this works.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Insanity Prawn posted:

I uploaded it on a different site now, so hopefully this works.

Thanks! Downloading now, incredibly excited to listen to it

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Does Martha live in Boston?

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

a starwar betamax posted:

Does Martha live in Boston?

Who? Marcia? Are you cool, dawg?

Last I heard, Marcia still lives in Haverhill which is just close enough to the NH border for her bootlegging operation.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Martha, Jeff's adopted great grandmother.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

It looks to me like the Facebook post regarding WTF/UYD has been taken down, and there's nothing on his website. Is it still happening? Looks like the tweet is still up, as I remember there being a short clip from the episode.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It looks to me like the Facebook post regarding WTF/UYD has been taken down, and there's nothing on his website. Is it still happening? Looks like the tweet is still up, as I remember there being a short clip from the episode.

Maybe Seth revealed too much, had a full pani and asked them to hold it.

Hey scam man just gently caress my baby in the heart.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 17, 2013

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

dvorak posted:

Maybe Seth revealed too much, had a full pani and asked them to hold it.

Hey scam man just gently caress my baby in the heart.

Of course one of the most anticipated eps of WTF for me is taking forever to come out.

I am intrigued by the battle of the wills between Marc who loves getting deep and pulls some crazy poo poo out of people, and Seth, the master of obfuscation, who managed to not talk in a restaurant while a lunatic was yelling at him and the EMTs arrived.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Of course one of the most anticipated eps of WTF for me is taking forever to come out.

I am intrigued by the battle of the wills between Marc who loves getting deep and pulls some crazy poo poo out of people, and Seth, the master of obfuscation, who managed to not talk in a restaurant while a lunatic was yelling at him and the EMTs arrived.

To be honest, by the time I've had 10 more years of living in this world, I think I could be in a place where that seems like a reasonable reaction.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

dvorak posted:

To be honest, by the time I've had 10 more years of living in this world, I think I could be in a place where that seems like a reasonable reaction.

Which one are we here to get?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Which one are we here to get?

Hahaha. I need to listen to that segment again. After I heard that, I was down with UYD for life.

I was just so shocked by the story, but something about the way that Seth was telling it made me think that there was no way he was making any of it up.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Is that a Korean thing?

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

grvm posted:

Is that a Korean thing?

Probably should ALL CAPS that, aren't you supposed to say that really loudly, basically yell it?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

nub posted:

Probably should ALL CAPS that, aren't you supposed to say that really loudly, basically yell it?

I dunno dude, is THAT a Korean thing?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

368 is up. This was the longest Monday ever.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/uhhyeahdude/ddc558b24967142b9855cda20fe8e3a223b368.mp3

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
"Everyone gets a scepter. It's just not right anymore. gently caress me."

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

"I didn't think it was a vegetable, I thought it was a succulent." - J-dog on the subject of an onion.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 19, 2013

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
loving really wish I was closer to Denver....

anybody here from San Diego? Had I known they'd not do an LA Show again for years, I would have nutted up and driven there...I didn't know what I had. Wonder if there's enough San Diego UYD fans to justify a show here...It'd be an easy drive for them. But I think that Jonathan said something about not liking San Diego. I think we get pigeonholed as a town full of bros and marines.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 19, 2013

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

loving really wish I was closer to Denver....

anybody here from San Diego? Had I known they'd not do an LA Show again for years, I would have nutted up and driven there...I didn't know what I had. Wonder if there's enough San Diego UYD fans to justify a show here...It'd be an easy drive for them. But I think that Jonathan said something about not liking San Diego. I think we get pigeonholed as a town full of bros and marines.

Also, "...it's basically like being in Mexico."

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

dvorak posted:

Also, "...it's basically like being in Mexico."

hahaha yeah, try to find a Mexican in North Park...or any of the Parks...or anything north of Downtown until you hit North County...Sorry, off topic.

My current favorite episode is the one where Seth kept playing that electronic pepsi Jazz ad from a magazine, I thought I was going insane

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

My current favorite episode is the one where Seth kept playing that electronic pepsi Jazz ad from a magazine, I thought I was going insane

I heard about Pepsi Jazz being born and die before I even knew it existed, thanks to UYD.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
UYD: What's happening, hot Seth?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
There's going to be another Podcast Festival this year, and I'm crossing my fingers that UYD will be there. They haven't done an LA show since then.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

dvorak posted:

I heard about Pepsi Jazz being born and die before I even knew it existed, thanks to UYD.

This bit was really funny for me, because while I just started listening to UYD half a year ago, I totally was Seth-style mildly obsessed with that Pepsi Jazz advertisement in a "laughing at America" way back when it came out.

It was in a copy of Maxim or some poo poo my roommate at the time received. A 2 page ad with a small circuit board connected to a small flat speaker with thin wire, all hidden in between one of the pages of the ad. You flip the page and it starts playing. I thought it was loving funny. Pepsi Jazz was obviously doomed as a product, not just from the stupid ads, but from its stupid name and flavor. Since it was obviously doomed it was culturally intriguing to me.

So of course considering it's slight hilarity and soon-to-be pop culture history-ness, I ripped the board/speaker out for safe keeping and to play around with it, and so played the Pepsi Jazz theme to anyone who might care. Considering I was in music school at the time, it saw its fair share of sampling and circuit bending. Also did some pranks with it, setting it up to play when my roommate opened his door, or drawers and what not. I actually probably have the little contraption laying around in a box or drawer somewhere. Pretty sure it survived the cross country journey back home after university. That's how important it was to me.

So yeah considering my personal Pepsi Jazz journey, you can imagine my nostalgic kick 5-6 year later when Seth starts obsessing about it in an episode, and then the episode later where he actually opens the show with the Jazz theme playing. Hearing that song again brought me back -- that poo poo made me crack up.

That's my Pepsi Jazz advertisement story. Never actually managed to drink a Pepsi Jazz, though. Not a sip. Sounded too gross to bother.

Damo fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 19, 2013

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Damo posted:

This bit was really funny for me, because while I just started listening to UYD half a year ago, I totally was Seth-style mildly obsessed with that Pepsi Jazz advertisement in a "laughing at America" way back when it came out.

It was in a copy of Maxim or some poo poo my roommate at the time received. A 2 page ad with a small circuit board connected to a small flat speaker with thin wire, all hidden in between one of the pages of the ad. You flip the page and it starts playing. I thought it was loving funny. Pepsi Jazz was obviously doomed as a product, not just from the stupid ads, but from its stupid name and flavor. Since it was obviously doomed it was culturally intriguing to me.

So of course considering it's slight hilarity and soon-to-be pop culture history-ness, I ripped the board/speaker out for safe keeping and to play around with it, and so played the Pepsi Jazz theme to anyone who might care. Considering I was in music school at the time, it saw its fair share of sampling and circuit bending. Also did some pranks with it, setting it up to play when my roommate opened his door, or drawers and what not. I actually probably have the little contraption laying around in a box or drawer somewhere. Pretty sure it survived the cross country journey back home after university. That's how important it was to me.

So yeah considering my personal Pepsi Jazz journey, you can imagine my nostalgic kick 5-6 year later when Seth starts obsessing about it in an episode, and then the episode later where he actually opens the show with the Jazz theme playing. Hearing that song again brought me back -- that poo poo made me crack up.

That's my Pepsi Jazz advertisement story. Never actually managed to drink a Pepsi Jazz, though. Not a sip. Sounded too gross to bother.

Grade A Pepsi story. Considering how I barely remembered pepsi max and found it funny, that kind of backstory would have made me hysterical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majestic sea cow
Dec 10, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyTkE8jUh-4