Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The dominion issue has torn away my ability to feel human :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Rolling around in 100lbs of chocolate pudding here, I could not care less :colbert:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Did I say the last one was Worldstage.jpg? Because this one takes message settings issues to a new level.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Hey, I could be bitching about wallpaper. :shobon:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darkrenown posted:

It's not ideal of course, I just think declaring this a return to the bad old days is going a bit far.

If it's launching AHD it can't be installed right, HoD has a new .exe that overwrites the AHD one. You said you got it on Steam, right? But the folder you screenshoted isn't in steam, did you move the install folder? If so, maybe HoD installed to your steamapps folder all alone and just needs to be copied over.

The AHD install was a different installation that I forgot I had. I got the game to work by running the HoD exe without steam once to get a working mapcache and now I can run it through steam fine.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I think the expansion is a lot of fun. Sorry :(

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

It's the button to declare interest if you are a GP.

It's not poorly tested, it's just not a big issue. Sure, we'll tweak it so it doesn't spin off so many, but if AI dominions are the biggest problem people have with HoD I'd be pretty pleased.

So, if it's a European crisis, and I'm America and click that guy to 'declare interest', do I lose prestige if I don't take a side, whereas I don't lose anything if I don't 'declare interest'?

I'm not clear on why it's there, as joining a side seems like enough of taking interest, is it a way of saying 'I'm open to being bribed to join in'?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

dipwood posted:

Delete the OTHER map cache as well. There's 2 of them, one in your regular folder and one in documents.

The one in the regular folder (in Steam for me) did the trick. So try this.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Did I say the last one was Worldstage.jpg? Because this one takes message settings issues to a new level.

Speaking of MM, there was a thread about M, err World Stage in the Paradox OT forum. One guy named Homero
was trolling by spinning the bad things people were saying about the demo into good things. He was banned when the forum admins found out his IP address is the same as Ubik's.:haw:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fintilgin posted:

So, if it's a European crisis, and I'm America and click that guy to 'declare interest', do I lose prestige if I don't take a side, whereas I don't lose anything if I don't 'declare interest'?

I'm not clear on why it's there, as joining a side seems like enough of taking interest, is it a way of saying 'I'm open to being bribed to join in'?

If you join in and then don't pick a side you DO lose prestige, yes. It's can show you're willing to be bribed in, and a bit of a gamble that you will either pick a winning side or wuss out with the prestige hit.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

If you join in and then don't pick a side you DO lose prestige, yes. It's can show you're willing to be bribed in, and a bit of a gamble that you will either pick a winning side or wuss out with the prestige hit.

Right, okay. I was a tad confused. :)

James The 1st posted:

Speaking of MM, there was a thread about M, err World Stage in the Paradox OT forum. One guy named Homero
was trolling by spinning the bad things people were saying about the demo into good things. He was banned when the forum admins found out his IP address is the same as Ubik's.:haw:

Hahah. Dude's a nut. Still surprised that the World Stage page is still up. :iiam:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

James The 1st posted:

Worth pointing out that the same guy was around the forums when Magna Mundi was cancelled. He was particularly annoyed when people characterized Ubik's actions as insane and kept accusing everyone doing so of lacking moral character.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
I have yet to be given a bribe to join a side, just empty offers, are they normally pretty rare?

Also I just noticed the battle plan option and spent 15 minutes doodling all over then map. Giving moustaches to Britain and so drawing kraken in the ocean, best feature ever.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Pooned posted:

I think the expansion is a lot of fun. Sorry :(

Yes but what about my pretty map borders how dare you Paradox! You will go the way of the Ouya! Way to go this is Pre-EU1 days of programming!
:goonsay:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Im now 99% certain that the dominions thing was done intentionally to make the :byodood:MY BORDERS:byodood: people meltdown.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Greatest expansion ever, or merely excellent?

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
How do you increase the number of possible brigades you can create besides maxing military spending? I'm playing as the USA and despite maxing military spending my potential brigade number hasn't gone up at all.

e: Oh, and how can I prevent Britain from gobbling up the Pacific Northwest? It seems like there's nothing I can do to stop them either during or after their colonization effort.

e2: Ahaha, and like a minute after I post I suddenly gain 3 brigades. Well, still want to know what I can do to get Washington, Oregon and Idaho from those dirty Brits.

Miles Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 16, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Drone posted:

Admin efficiency determines how effective you are at collecting tax and profit in your country. If you do what I did, your very first step will be getting 100% administrative efficiency in your largest states (at the 1836 start I think that's Buenos Aires and Entre Rios). Until you get 100% admin efficiency in both states, your budget is going to be as austere as possible. Place your national focus in both of those states to Encourage Bureaucrats. Max out the bureaucracy slicer in your budget though, as this will passively slightly encourage bureaucrats in all of your other states as well.

Once your administrative efficiency in your "main" states is high enough, you should be able to start normalizing your sliders. You may also want to max out tariffs too to be able to make ends meet, and then gradually lower them.

After your budget is in the clear, you'll want to start encouraging clergy in your larger states too. Clergy determine how many research points you get and how fast your literacy rate goes up. For maximum literacy gain, you should aim for 4% of your total population being clergy. With 4% clergy in my most populous states and with a steady stream of immigrants, I was able to hit 100% literacy by 1900.

At some point in the 1840s or 1850s, I believe, you'll get an event that will turn you into a democracy for free. TAKE IT. As soon as you democratize, immigrants will come flooding in at an incredibly high rate (again, this was with APD, not sure about HoD). Once the migrants come in, you can start industrializing or work on acquiring your cores in Uruguay/Paraguay/Brazil/Bolivia, and if you want to start working toward forming La Plata.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

A lot of countries start with financial issues. First things first, get your admin efficiency up to 100% for your nation and in all of your core provinces by encouraging bureaucrats. Prioritize researching some economic techs that benefit you the most. Don't remember what Argentina specializes in, but if it's like Brazil, go for farming and RGO boosts since you are primarily agrarian and un-industrialized to begin. In the meantime, tax the poo poo out of your populace, hike your tariffs and cut military funding. As your administrative efficiency improves and some econ techs come in, you can ease up on tariffs and taxes.

Thanks for this. I made my NF clergy and kept losing money. I'll try it again after work tonight!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, be careful with clergy though, since your education costs go up with the number of clergymen you have.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

How do you increase the number of possible brigades you can create besides maxing military spending? I'm playing as the USA and despite maxing military spending my potential brigade number hasn't gone up at all.

Military spending will do it but it will take some time to do it - it doesn't directly increase your manpower, it increases the number of soldiers that you have among your pops. So it will take a while to for the number of soldiers to increase to the point where you're going to be able to build additional brigades, but over time it should have a substantial effect. It's not immediate.

The other thing you can do is use one of your NFs to promote soldiers in a state. But that will also similarly take some time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm a bit of a min/maxer in games like this, but V2 always turned me off because I always felt so lost and not in full control. For instance I'd always be worried about having a good tax efficiency but I'd also be worried about having too many bureaucrats. Clearly everyone wants as close to 100% efficiency as possible, so with only 1 desired state or outcome why not just make the process automatic? Yes still have them have to train up and migrate and such, but just have some target rate for bureaucrats and the game would automatically do the rest. Let the national focus just speed this process up, and then you'd get a little notification once the state was "done" so you aren't wasting your focus. There's a lot of things in V2 like this, that could be simplified, abstracted, or automated to a higher degree as there's generally always 1 "best" outcome and attaining it is just fussy micro-management and interface slog or simply remembering what you were doing.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm not sure there is a better strategy game that puts you in control of the growth of a nation-state's economy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

e: Oh, and how can I prevent Britain from gobbling up the Pacific Northwest? It seems like there's nothing I can do to stop them either during or after their colonization effort.

e2: Ahaha, and like a minute after I post I suddenly gain 3 brigades. Well, still want to know what I can do to get Washington, Oregon and Idaho from those dirty Brits.

Use Promote Soldiers National Focuses on your largest states and keep military expenditure high, but not so high that you end up with an excess of officers.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Amazon is selling an "Online Game Code". Is it seriously Steam only? With no digital download? I bought the other two off Amazon and now I have to give money to Gamersgate (which I really don't want to do) just to get this expansion? At least let me migrate my previous purchases to Steam if you're going to pull this poo poo.

That's odd, there was a listing for direct download from Amazon before release that I posted a link to earlier in the thread and was separate from the Online Game Code, which was listed as a different product. Now clicking the link in my earlier post leads to the Game Code page. I wonder why they changed that? Regardless, Gamersgate is a perfectly good service, so I wouldn't sweat it too hard.

I'm just upset that I've got a group project I was supposed to be working on all semester that I'm now going to have to do in one day by myself, so I can't afford HoD distractions. :( I guess I'm living vicariously through y'all until tomorrow.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
After bumping up the rate at which my NF builds tension to .6 instead of .15, I'm having a lot of fun. This will probably be gamebreaking or something late game but :wooper:. I've gotten Russia to hand over much of Poland without firing a bullet. Looks like they will fight me over Ukraine though.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
:wtc:

HoD has made small nations more suicidal, i just saw the papal states attempt to humiliate Austria on its own, Belgium trying to cut Prussia down to size.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

James The 1st posted:

You can't just post something like this without providing quotes :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yep have spent all day with HoD and can confirm that it's great. I hope they never fix wacky dominions, either :colbert:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Just bought AHD, but I'm a cheap motherfucker who can't afford to make a $20 purchase with rent and utilities on the way. :negative:

So, what is the most terrible country to play for a first game? I like playing as a confusing mess the first time around because it gives me more reason to just cheat at the start to get the formula and mechanics down without too much trouble. Call it a tutorial if you will.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Beamed posted:

You can't just post something like this without providing quotes :colbert:

There aren't too many good quotes that don't require a fair amount of context. Here's the best I could find -

Ubik? posted:

In fact, jhanso once wrote about the "...failure tourists" who are just lurking around this forum in the hope they can make themselves and each feel better by abusing far away people. Mob culture is a common phenomenon and while is not to be condoned in any setting, it is understandable how someone of little intellectual depth or self awareness could fall into such a trap..."

Note: jhanso was a random poster in the Magna Mundi Cancelled thread last year.

Also, here's the biggest of his misquotes, with the original added in for comparison:

Ubik? posted:

Donīt exaggerate. :)
Let us see,
you - "It's a terrible buggy mess". :) It's your opinion, respectable like any other. But thereīs been some differing opinions,
AdamVen - Dem looks promising..with a lot of cool features

Original Quote posted:

Demo looks promising, but a long ways off from being ready. Some clear improvements over eu3, with a lot of cool features, but I can't see how they expect to release this in April. Super glitchy couldn't select my army when laying siege/fighting, army kept on laying siege and running away, had no idea why. Needs a lot of polish too, when you declare war you see flags of the countries that will join a side but can't mouse over for names/probability, when you change sliders you you don't get any real notification of what happened. Diplomacy is a bit confusing (can't propose an alliance until I have at a certain amount of influence in the capital? whut?). Got a quest from my faction but had no idea how to view it, it expired before I got a chance to act on it. Hover for information popup only works half the time. Understandable that paradox gave this the axe, seems closer to alpha than rc.

Other notable antics include constantly talking about how all the problems in the World Stage demo could be fixed with patches months after release, arguing with someone over a post the other guy made back in July 2012, "It's only MY OPINION that World Stage will be released and patched, why do you insist on providing evidence that MY OPINION is wrong?", and of course, constantly trying to argue people into agreeing that the demo was playable and fun.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Tomn posted:

There aren't too many good quotes that don't require a fair amount of context. Here's the best I could find -

Note: jhanso was a random poster in the Magna Mundi Cancelled thread last year.

Also, here's the biggest of his misquotes, with the original added in for comparison:

Other notable antics include constantly talking about how all the problems in the World Stage demo could be fixed with patches months after release, arguing with someone over a post the other guy made back in July 2012, "It's only MY OPINION that World Stage will be released and patched, why do you insist on providing evidence that MY OPINION is wrong?", and of course, constantly trying to argue people into agreeing that the demo was playable and fun.
Here the one where he was banned.

quote:

And I think everyone has had their say and as the only protagonist on one side of the "discussion" is now taking a short break due to his repeated trolling I think we can safely close this thread for now.
(Would it surprise anyone to learn that the Ubik account and the Homero one use the same ISP. I thought it was interesting information to have in light of the discussion)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

It's not poorly tested, it's just not a big issue. Sure, we'll tweak it so it doesn't spin off so many, but if AI dominions are the biggest problem people have with HoD I'd be pretty pleased.
It's not about how big the issue is. It's about how obvious it is. Can't boot up the game without it smacking you in the face.

But you're right, it's not a big deal. Mostly just a funny one. So don't take this as a serious complaint.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
WTF you guys! Nothing wrong with a pile of dominions. I sometimes will switch between the major powers releasing as many nations as possible. Makes the world more interesting.

Jesus christ don't hassle the devs over something so minor.

So for I love HoD. Haven't colonized anywhere but just being able to divide up my national stockpile spending is worth 20bux.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What is next for DLC for V2? When does it come out?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

James The 1st posted:

Here the one where he was banned.

drat, that could just mean they're both Portuguese and not the same person. Still, here's hoping. :v:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Beamed posted:

drat, that could just mean they're both Portuguese and not the same person. Still, here's hoping. :v:

Yes, as is known we have one IP address for the whole of Lisbon :v:

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
The post was about same ISP, not same IP. :crossarms:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Playing as France in V2 HoD. Is there any 'easy' way to dismantle/conquer Egypt? I took Palestine and Sinai in the first war, and the two states need to 'isolate' the Egyptian capital state, but I still can't request the capital province (Lower Egypt?). There aren't any little sub-states like Syria or Jordan to release, so am I just stuck fighting half a dozen wars over 30-40 years to get them down to below five states to annex?

Also, not sure if there's something wrong with the Egyptian army. It basically didn't show up to either war. I killed one stack of ~12 strength in the first war and occupied all of modern day Egypt/Syria/Jordan etc in the second war and never saw an Egyptian army. :stare:

KoldPT posted:

Yes, as is known we have one IP address for the whole of Lisbon :v:

If you go back and look at that guys posts back when he started posting he has an argument/discussion with Ubik at one point. But a lot of his other posts 'sound' like Ubik, and I wouldn't put it past him to have a 'debate' with his own sock-puppet for some crazy/rhetorical reason. :confused:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 16, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Vodos posted:

I wanted to mess around with the dynamic dominions and used the console to grab much of Africa. The result isn't quite as expected.

Yes, that's the only nation I can release in Africa. I released Zanzibar earlier and Liberia (which didn't become a satellite, only sphered for some reason), this is all that's left now.
There really needs to be a menu for selecting which provinces to release as dominions. This just doesn't cut it when you get up to that size. It's not even like there'd be a common identity. After Britain seized Oranje and the Transvaal, they had to actively work to unite Cape Colony, Natal, and the two Boer republics under a single confederation.

Tomn posted:

Worth pointing out that the same guy was around the forums when Magna Mundi was cancelled. He was particularly annoyed when people characterized Ubik's actions as insane and kept accusing everyone doing so of lacking moral character.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

That's odd, there was a listing for direct download from Amazon before release that I posted a link to earlier in the thread and was separate from the Online Game Code, which was listed as a different product. Now clicking the link in my earlier post leads to the Game Code page. I wonder why they changed that? Regardless, Gamersgate is a perfectly good service, so I wouldn't sweat it too hard.

I'm just upset that I've got a group project I was supposed to be working on all semester that I'm now going to have to do in one day by myself, so I can't afford HoD distractions. :( I guess I'm living vicariously through y'all until tomorrow.
I guess. It's just one more digital download service to juggle and I don't get why Amazon isn't offering a download. It still even says Buy and Download, but it's only 3kb so I guess you're just downloading the code or something. It's just tiresome. I just saw that Netflix has a bunch of Zulu wars movies and Breaker Morant so I think I'll just go watch those for a while and let the dust settle on the release a bit.

Baloogan posted:

What is next for DLC for V2? When does it come out?
Please god let this be the one that gives us HoI-like airplanes. Give me that and retool the scripting language so that it isn't worthless and I'll give you guys all the money I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Yeah the same ISP basically means as much as saying "Both Ubik and that poster have a T-Mobile phone" or "Both drive Mazdas". Sure it kinda narrows it down but even if it's an ISP that only serves clients in Lisbon, that still doesn't really mean it has to be Ubik, and if it's not unique to Lisbon, then it basically means nothing.

• Locked thread