Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Alleric posted:

I'm taking one of my capresso infinity grinders in to work for my press soonly. I pretty much can't drink the coffee service we have anymore.

I did that a few months ago when I got my Rocky along with a small CCD. Workplace coffee has never been more awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I have a Baratza Maestro at work, but I often end up taking my Lido to use instead. I mostly brew with a Hario V60 and Buono kettle. Unfortunately, I have no water supply closer than the bathroom on the far side of the building, so it's hard to use any brewing device that requires significant rinsing, like a press pot. I get my hot water from a Zojirushi water dispenser and use a bucket under the table for waste water.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Bob_McBob posted:

use a bucket under the table for waste water.

Are you a WoW gold farmer?

One nice part about the Clever is that there is no waste water. Grinds just go into the trash, and I only spill water/grinds about once a month!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mandalay posted:

One nice part about the Clever is that there is no waste water. Grinds just go into the trash, and I only spill water/grinds about once a month!

There's still waste water if you want to sperg about CCD. You need to be rinsing the filter (twice), warming the CCD and your cup. Of course you could also just not give a poo poo.

I save my coffee grounds at work for composting at home. I know that you can grow oyster mushrooms on coffee grounds, I was planning on doing this, too, at some point.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

GrAviTy84 posted:

There's still waste water if you want to sperg about CCD. You need to be rinsing the filter (twice), warming the CCD and your cup. Of course you could also just not give a poo poo.

I save my coffee grounds at work for composting at home. I know that you can grow oyster mushrooms on coffee grounds, I was planning on doing this, too, at some point.

I warm the CCD by soaking the filter for a min (with the Asian-style water heater) before putting in grinds. Compromising on taste is worth not having to walk through the blood draw station at the clinic with coffee grinds.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Seriously considering another Clever for the office. My plan is to grind the beans at home first thing in the morning then convey them to the office with me using something like Gladware or a tin of some kind. Does anybody else do this sort of thing?

Try to use a container with as little air volume as possible, half sized ziploc bags work great if you press the air out as you're sealing them. I pre-grind coffee and take it with me if I know I'm going to spend the night at my girlfriend's place - works great for making single cup drip coffee at the office too.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Mandalay posted:

:D

By "waste water" I mean the water I use to rinse filters, preheat cups, clean the cups and brewer after brewing, and so on. A paper filtered brew method keeps this to a minimum by containing the grinds, but the only way I would have zero liquid waste is by re-using filter rinse water and wiping everything out with paper towels immediately after use. I just keep a little bucket out of sight under the table that substitutes for a drain.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

o muerte posted:

Try to use a container with as little air volume as possible, half sized ziploc bags work great if you press the air out as you're sealing them. I pre-grind coffee and take it with me if I know I'm going to spend the night at my girlfriend's place - works great for making single cup drip coffee at the office too.

This is what I was planning on doing too with a CCD or press cause I'm seriously not going to pony up for a second grinder just to use at work.

Content: I've seen in videos these scales with timers that start when water gets poured (when there's a drastic change in mass I'm guessing). Is there a cheap scale that does this or are they all gonna be pricey?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 11, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I just started making actual coffee instead of drinking kuerig and poo poo gas station coffee. I have an aero press and a sold burr grinder which does the job just fine.

Any tips on making iced coffee with the aero press and recommendations on a mug to take it with me to work?

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
The Contigo Autoseal has served me well, but the inside is metal. I personally like using my Zojirushi thermos though, it tends to keep the temp hot/cold longer. Also much more expensive. http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SM-KA48BA-16-Ounce-0-48-Liter-Stainless/dp/B004LP0DYS/ref=pd_sim_k_6

Got mine in Japan as a gift, so, yeah, if I were buying a mug I'd get the autoseal.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I've been wanting to upgrade my espresso machine, and now I'm closer to reality, and completely have no clue what to do.

Torn between the breville BES900XL (http://www.brevilleusa.com/dual-boiler-espresso.html) or something like the Izzo Duetto 3. Obviously these are in different classes, but really the question is should I go for something with a complete E61 grouphead (or partial) or just go for the Breville which is a whole bunch cheaper (ie I could get double boiler instead of single in an E61).

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

How serious are you Enigma? The Breville is a nice appliance, but it doesn't have the romance of a proper E61, and I'm not convinced you'd get the same lifespan out of it.

The Breville is really well thought out though. - the lockable wheel system is bella fun to play with. Plus auto timer, pre infusion adjustment et al.

What are you using now?

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

MrEnigma posted:

I've been wanting to upgrade my espresso machine, and now I'm closer to reality, and completely have no clue what to do.

Torn between the breville BES900XL (http://www.brevilleusa.com/dual-boiler-espresso.html) or something like the Izzo Duetto 3. Obviously these are in different classes, but really the question is should I go for something with a complete E61 grouphead (or partial) or just go for the Breville which is a whole bunch cheaper (ie I could get double boiler instead of single in an E61).

I just went through the same debate with the La Spaziale Dream included with the two you mentioned. I went with the Duetto 3 in the end. I got it from Chris Coffee. They even gave me 200 off when I asked if they had any specials. If you go with the more expensive machine, I recommend buying from them.

I've literally had the Duetto for 2 days now. So far, it's pretty awesome. The reason I went with it over the Breville was that I just wanted something that should last me forever. That's not to say the Breville won't. I just didn't want to take a chance. Also, the price difference was not as big of a deal because I had a tax refund that basically made up for it and I was able to sell off some crap lying around the house for a few hundred.

Anyway, I would recommend scouring coffeegeek and home-barista forums and maybe even asking for advice. In the end, you cant really go wrong in my opinion. You'll have justified reasons for buying any of the machines, but it's important that you yourself believe them. So, you need to go through that research process first. Also, Breville will introduce something new at the SCAA meeting in Boston this weekend, so that might change your mind there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Question about the CCD, is the "small" size comparable to a 3–cup french press in brewing volume?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Boris Galerkin posted:

Question about the CCD, is the "small" size comparable to a 3–cup french press in brewing volume?

It makes only one mug of coffee, so I guess somewhat comparable?. I would definitely just suggest getting the larger one. I wish I had.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

dusty posted:

How serious are you Enigma? The Breville is a nice appliance, but it doesn't have the romance of a proper E61, and I'm not convinced you'd get the same lifespan out of it.

The Breville is really well thought out though. - the lockable wheel system is bella fun to play with. Plus auto timer, pre infusion adjustment et al.

What are you using now?

Yeah, I was really set on getting the Breville, mostly because of cost. But then started realizing that it looks quite modern and fancy, which is fine now, but in 10 years...will it just look dated, and will it be busted? Plus if I'm spending $1k on it, and then later end up spending $2k on something else. That said $2k is still a lot of money on an espresso machine...

Using a Saeco Aroma right now, with the portafilter dropped out and a replacement steam wand on it. I hate having to temp surf it, almost bought a PID for it, and then realized I should really put it towards a new machine.

medchem posted:

I just went through the same debate with the La Spaziale Dream included with the two you mentioned. I went with the Duetto 3 in the end. I got it from Chris Coffee. They even gave me 200 off when I asked if they had any specials. If you go with the more expensive machine, I recommend buying from them.

I've literally had the Duetto for 2 days now. So far, it's pretty awesome. The reason I went with it over the Breville was that I just wanted something that should last me forever. That's not to say the Breville won't. I just didn't want to take a chance. Also, the price difference was not as big of a deal because I had a tax refund that basically made up for it and I was able to sell off some crap lying around the house for a few hundred.

Anyway, I would recommend scouring coffeegeek and home-barista forums and maybe even asking for advice. In the end, you cant really go wrong in my opinion. You'll have justified reasons for buying any of the machines, but it's important that you yourself believe them. So, you need to go through that research process first. Also, Breville will introduce something new at the SCAA meeting in Boston this weekend, so that might change your mind there.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

One other thing that is kind of bothering me, is that the E61's take something like 20 minutes to heat up. The Breville has a built in timer to let you start it up, and my Saeco takes like 90 seconds to heat up right now...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

My small CCD fills a standard size coffee cup perfectly. Probably about 10 oz. I also have a big one. I prefer to make my coffee one cup at a time. If I was making enough for two I will use my larger one, or some other brew method, but honestly, if I'm entertaining and serving coffee, I'm probably going to use my Bonavita or my 8 cup press pot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Doh004 posted:

It makes only one mug of coffee, so I guess somewhat comparable?. I would definitely just suggest getting the larger one. I wish I had.

My 3 cup press also makes about one mug (not really sure how they're measuring cups here…) and there's never really been a time where I wished I could have made more.

GrAviTy84 posted:

My small CCD fills a standard size coffee cup perfectly. Probably about 10 oz. I also have a big one. I prefer to make my coffee one cup at a time. If I was making enough for two I will use my larger one, or some other brew method, but honestly, if I'm entertaining and serving coffee, I'm probably going to use my Bonavita or my 8 cup press pot.

So it looks like the small CCD is the way to go then. Thanks!

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Boris Galerkin posted:

My 3 cup press also makes about one mug (not really sure how they're measuring cups here…) and there's never really been a time where I wished I could have made more.

I suspect, but am not entirely sure due to not owning one myself, that it's referring to a cup as made with 4 ounces of water. Certain manufacturers do that, though I'm not entirely sure of any reason beyond marketing.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Boris Galerkin posted:

So it looks like the small CCD is the way to go then. Thanks!

I'm just saying, the whole point of a pourover like the CCD is you control all of the variables. You control how many grounds to use, how much water, etc. You can still make that perfect one cup of coffee each time because you're measuring out how much coffee and water by weight (I hope) already.

I find with my CCD, when I do 22g of coffee, I can only fit in ~250g of water, when I need to get up to 360 total. This produces a more concentrated coffee that I then dilute with the remainder of the water. It isn't bad, but I wish I didn't have to do that. Also, the 360g of water fits my regular sized mug perfectly.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Doh004 posted:

I'm just saying, the whole point of a pourover like the CCD is you control all of the variables. You control how many grounds to use, how much water, etc. You can still make that perfect one cup of coffee each time because you're measuring out how much coffee and water by weight (I hope) already.

I find with my CCD, when I do 22g of coffee, I can only fit in ~250g of water, when I need to get up to 360 total. This produces a more concentrated coffee that I then dilute with the remainder of the water. It isn't bad, but I wish I didn't have to do that. Also, the 360g of water fits my regular sized mug perfectly.

Yeah, definitely get the large CCD. There is no reason not to in my opinion.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

There is no reason not to in my opinion.

challenge accepted.

the bigger one has more paper surface area and if you're using for a smaller cup then you get more paper taste in cup. It also absorbs more coffee than the small one. The small one has a very convenient footprint which fits well inside a small office desk drawer, the big one has to go inside a double tall file drawer or stay out on the desk.

fake edit: Ok these are pretty dumb reasons, but it's fun to argue.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

GrAviTy84 posted:

challenge accepted.

the bigger one has more paper surface area and if you're using for a smaller cup then you get more paper taste in cup. It also absorbs more coffee than the small one. The small one has a very convenient footprint which fits well inside a small office desk drawer, the big one has to go inside a double tall file drawer or stay out on the desk.

fake edit: Ok these are pretty dumb reasons, but it's fun to argue.

I can't argue those points as I've never had a small ccd! Makes sense though.

I was glad I bought the large though. It took me about 2 months of playing with all the variables to get to where I feel like I'm finally getting a great cup.

The large CCD might allow for a bit of flexibility when it comes to finding your perfect cup (taste, volume), especially if its your one and only method of making coffee, like me! Personally, I felt like 10oz was a bit small for my morning cup.

Also with the wetted filtropa filters, I can't even really notice the paper taste, don't have filterless method to compare it to though :(

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Doh004 posted:

OK, I didn't consider making less coffee with the bigger CCD. Not a bad idea actually.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

OK, I didn't consider making less coffee with the bigger CCD. Not a bad idea actually.

If you go back a few pages I posted my step by step process for making a cup with a large CCD. I use 350g of water, makes about a 12oz cup.

I was considering making a video, maybe I'll do that today!

mystes
May 31, 2006

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Seriously considering another Clever for the office. My plan is to grind the beans at home first thing in the morning then convey them to the office with me using something like Gladware or a tin of some kind. Does anybody else do this sort of thing?
Yeah, it works fine.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

MrEnigma posted:

Yeah, I was really set on getting the Breville, mostly because of cost. But then started realizing that it looks quite modern and fancy, which is fine now, but in 10 years...will it just look dated, and will it be busted? Plus if I'm spending $1k on it, and then later end up spending $2k on something else. That said $2k is still a lot of money on an espresso machine...

Using a Saeco Aroma right now, with the portafilter dropped out and a replacement steam wand on it. I hate having to temp surf it, almost bought a PID for it, and then realized I should really put it towards a new machine.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

One other thing that is kind of bothering me, is that the E61's take something like 20 minutes to heat up. The Breville has a built in timer to let you start it up, and my Saeco takes like 90 seconds to heat up right now...

This seems to be a function more of boiler size than group head. My Gaggia doesn't take 20 mins. The boiler's got the water and itself at a stable temp in about 2, and by 6 minutes the brew-group is heated. Run a 2 ounce rinse just to be sure on the group, and to kick a fresh reset on the boiler and you're good to go. Larger boiler rigs bring the upside of slower temp shifts (less surfing a bit), but indeed they do take longer to heat up.

You can also get an external timer for the AC line, which I've seen a lot of, and then this becomes a non-issue and frees you up to buy whatever machine you like.

Edit:

So tonight, some of our houseguests decided they wanted espresso with their dessert (I mean, why wouldn't you?). I had mistakenly turned off the machine from my afternoon pull and it was cold. I figured this was as good of time as any to see how fast I could get the thing from power-on to good-to-go. Hit button, let boiler say the water was hot, run through empty filter until the ready light clicked off, waited on boiler, ran another rinse. This took... 70-80 seconds? Not exactly a water-conservationists method, but it did get the machine up quick. Again, though... small boiler on my rig.

Alleric fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 13, 2013

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Heating the boiler is only the first part of the process. The E61 group has a lot of brass that needs to be warmed by circulating water before you get stable brew temperatures. This can take 30-40 minutes if you you don't wrap the group with a towel and do a lot of flushing.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I can't get over how good the Kilenso Sidama from Coava is. One of my all time tops. It's like drinking a strawberry shake.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there another place to order the large CCD other than Sweet Maria's because the shipping is roughly half the cost of the CCD.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I was willing to pay the extra cost because I like Sweet Maria's. They seem like a pretty cool company. That said, I don't know if the Amazon one is the large size :iiam:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought it on Amazon and it's the large

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sweet Maria's deserves your money.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there another place to order the large CCD other than Sweet Maria's because the shipping is roughly half the cost of the CCD.

Half of the third-wave coffee shops in Los Angeles will sell it to you in person, maybe you have something like this? Hell I even got a free $5 siphon for buying a Clever.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

withak posted:

Sweet Maria's deserves your money.

100%. I'll pay the extra $5 to support that place.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
So are the $70 to $80 Mr. Coffee pump espresso machines any good? I can get one fairly cheap and will probably go for it if it's a step up over my current thrift store Krups steam toy. I'm pretty sure this is the one, and this is the previous model... they both seem ok for the most part, but Target's review ratings make no sense, somehow 3 + 1 + 1 = 3.5 stars overall. :psyduck:

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Trying out a prototype of a cool hand grinder right now, for anyone interested in that sort of thing: the Comandante C40. It can hold and grind 40g of coffee officially (up to 45g in my tests), has titanium burrs (with steel and ceramic options), is made in Germany, and oozes quality. It has a little notch system for adjusting grind size, which makes dialing it in easier (than the alternative of turning an unmarked dial with no frame of reference). We'll be selling them at https://www.ablebrewing.com once they're available, along with the smaller C20 grinder. Pretty cool stuff!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't titanium really soft? Steel/ceramic sound better for long term.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't titanium really soft? Steel/ceramic sound better for long term.

I know they made Russian subs out of it. It let them dive very deep, once. Then became very brittle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm holding out for carbon fiber grinders.