Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

eeenmachine posted:

They aren't so long you can't build things like this with a little work: http://www.theblockheads.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2261&d=1365947307
They're long enough that I quit after about an hour of play because every time I wanted to upgrade or build a new tool my choices were to sit and watch a guy swipe his hand at something for a couple of minutes, or tab out and do something else. iOS is not exactly hurting for games that consist of queuing up a sequence of tasks and then tabbing out to play something else, and there is no way that picture represents a "little" work given how long it takes to just build a metal tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PFlats posted:

Everything. Happens.

So.

Slowly.

I felt like I was always waiting for my guy to do something instead of actually doing something in Beastie Bay. I couldn't hack it.

Its not so bad once you figure out that to get anything done, you need to build up a workforce of slavesfriends equipped with work gear farming everything in sight. Especially land tiles that give you presents since those can turn out to be tokens. Having dozens and dozens of monsters wearing headbands and rags mining the poo poo out of everything, while tourists watch.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Good thing I didn't spend $6.99 yesterday on Horn....cause it's free today, gangstas!

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/free-horn

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wasn't Horn free the other day also?

Sad lions posted:

Junk jack works pretty nicely if you want the mine/subterranean exploration of minecraft but prefer charming sprites over 3D models.

Holy poo poo this is adorable. I didn't even realise how sick I was of uglyass Minecraft 3D.

I tried to get into Blockheads but the timers just ruined it for me. All I could think of the whole time was how I'd rather be playing Terraria.

What was that site/app/thing that told you about a free app each day?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
On the flip side, I didn't mind the timers in The Blockheads even before the update allowed them to run in the background.

It's still worth trying out.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Corridor posted:

Wasn't Horn free the other day also?

Yeah it was. I know a lot of goons were really excited for it, but I played it for maybe 15 minutes before deleting it.

quote:

What was that site/app/thing that told you about a free app each day?

It's called FreeAppADay I think?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

webmeister posted:

It's called FreeAppADay I think?

There are OODLES of these daily free app things. 99.999999999% of the selected apps are total garbage.

Thwomp posted:

On the flip side, I didn't mind the timers in The Blockheads even before the update allowed them to run in the background.

It's still worth trying out.

I totally agree. Don't take my criticism/hate on the timers to mean that I dislike the game; I played the hell out of it. If you like Minecraft types, give Blockheads a shot.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

webmeister posted:

Yeah it was. I know a lot of goons were really excited for it, but I played it for maybe 15 minutes before deleting it.
I need to actually get past the tutorial, but it certainly isn't seeming like much of anything at the beginning. "We made a mediocre touch Zelda" might be high marks for mobile, but thus far, I just find myself thinking I'd rather fire up... well, Zelda.

EDIT: VV That's the thing, though. 3 minutes. That's no where near enough to judge a game like this. I need to give it another 30 minutes before I call it and move on, the game hasn't even "started" yet.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 17, 2013

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Shalinor posted:

I need to actually get past the tutorial, but it certainly isn't seeming like much of anything at the beginning. "We made a mediocre touch Zelda" might be high marks for mobile, but thus far, I just find myself thinking I'd rather fire up... well, Zelda.

ok cool, I'm glad to see other people don't like horn too, I was starting to feel like a bit of a weirdo.
I made it about 3 min in before I got rid of it, I'm glad it was free or I'd have felt pretty angry.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

My wife just started playing Texas hold 'em and now has a poker boner. What is a great game paid or free for ipad?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are there any good new iPhone 5 optimized "jewel matching" games? I'm in the mood to get into one. I just grabbed Bejeweled Blitz but I'm sure there are others.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

^^ Regular rear end Bejeweled?

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: VV That's the thing, though. 3 minutes. That's no where near enough to judge a game like this. I need to give it another 30 minutes before I call it and move on, the game hasn't even "started" yet.

Normally I'd agree that such a small amount of time isn't enough to judge a game, but in the case of iPhone atuff that's usually all it takes. If it doesn't control satisfactory (and let's face it, many font due to the nature of touch controls and the race-to-the-finish ios marketplace) then I'm done with it, or of it's a blatant and/or bland clone of an existing IP then I'll probably see all I need to see in the opening few minutes.

I still can't really take ios games seriously. It's either a neat puzzle game or some action-oriented console wannabe with poor controls and graphics and gameplay unsuited to the platform, or a clone of some other more successful ios match 3 or whatever.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 17, 2013

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

eeenmachine posted:

They aren't so long you can't build things like this with a little work: http://www.theblockheads.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2261&d=1365947307

A Singaporean would make that. I am impressed by the way they did the Marina Bay Sands though. Also the Burj, but mostly the Sands.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are there any good new iPhone 5 optimized "jewel matching" games? I'm in the mood to get into one. I just grabbed Bejeweled Blitz but I'm sure there are others.

Puzzles and Dragons.

Oh god why did I recommend this. Escape while you still can!

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Puzzles and Dragons.

Oh god why did I recommend this. Escape while you still can!

Except it's not iPhone 5 optimized, as far as screen real estate is concerned. Great game though.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Are we not doing thread subtitles anymore? I'm pretty sure 'The iOS Games Megathread: My wife has a poker boner' would work.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
The iOS Games Megathread: Satan forgot to winterize, Star Command released

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Zombie Samurai posted:

I've slowly been approaching my patience limit for freemium games, and I think Pixel People has finally pushed me over the edge. Which it tragic, because I want to love it so much...I love the art style, the city building, the gene splicing, the neat little things buildings do, etc. But I am not tapping on goddamned buildings for three days straight just so I can get another 10 squares to build things on.

So I'm ready to spend actual money on a city building game that's not going to tell me when I can or can't play the loving thing. Given what I love about Pixel People, what would be some goon-recommended options?
Have you got the $0.99 time-doubler for Pixel People, and upgraded the more profitable and longer-running businesses with utopium? That will allow you to play it more infrequently and rack up money when you're not playing.

Do you use the farm event that trades hearts for a timed earning doubler? I only play it for a few minutes in the morning and evening, and I can get plenty of money per day. You'll need the Enterprise, IT, and Farm buildings, respectively.

There's also the HQ events. I know Monkey Business has a 150 million payout, and it has seemed relatively easy to get.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Duranki posted:

"My wife has a poker boner."

iOS wife blowie reversal of fortune...?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Turnquiet posted:

My wife just started playing Texas hold 'em and now has a poker boner. What is a great game paid or free for ipad?

The Zynga Texas Hold Em game is pretty good, always people playing, I think it requires a Facebook account but I just turned off all notifications from it after I authorized and never had a problem with it. Never had any desire to spend real money either, you get so much from daily spins, as long as you don't play high-roller hands, although there's no real reason to.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I've been playing Nameless: the Hackers RPG lately. Kind of a fun little grindy RPG with a "hackers as portrayed in movies" skin over it like Uplink. True, it has a goofy anime aesthetic and a couple "lolcat/memes/bitcoins/anonymous rulez" elements, but it's fun to grind away and know when to use the appropriate skills in battle.

http://appshopper.com/games/nameless-the-hackers-rpg

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
A quick update re: my earlier impressions of Rogue Touch...

I was bitching about the annoying controls. The character has a huge tap-box/target/whatever, so I was constantly tapping to move and accidentally going into menus/inventory instead. I also hated the overly sensitive run mode, which kept kept interpreting two spaced out single taps as a double tap, putting me into run mode and sending me flying across rooms.

I also mentioned that the default view felt too tighlty zoomed in and claustrophobic on my iPad.

Well, it turns out that the game has a small handful of menu options hidden away in iOS system settings. Options that basically eliminate all my gripes. You can set the default view to 75%, you can switch to D-Pad controls (which are a bit large on-screen, but work really well), and you can turn off double-tap-to-run altogether. So I guess Rogue Touch currently shares my "favorite iOS roguelike" spot along with POWDER.

Also, I've tried a few of those other roguelikes since that earlier post...

Mysterious Castle: Not a roguelike in many ways, but it's usually lumped into that category. It's more of a tactical, party-based, turn-based, isometric RPG that happens to include randomly generated areas. I like it in theory, but the gameplay is quite slow and the touch controls leave a lot to be desired, so I haven't found myself going back to play it much (yet). Giant Bomb write-up thingie

100 Rogues: I get why it's so highly rated; it's a fun and well-polished game. However it's a little too arcade-y for my liking (or casual, or something... so far it's just not resonating with me). It feels a lot like a turn-based Diablo, with the aesthetic feel of those Solomon games. Every room is filled with a horde of monsters. There are some cool abilities/powers, but all-in-all character development seems pretty shallow. This is a more casual game I'd play on a flight or somesuch, when I just want to pass the time and don't feel like devoting my full attention to a more in-depth game. Touch Arcade review

Trap Hunter: This one's cool, although it's not your typical roguelike. It's a lot of fun, though, and it's one I keep coming back to it. The concept is intriguing; you're a a pretty lovely fighter, but skilled at making traps. So there's a lot of strategy involved as you try to think ahead and plan out the course of a battle. Thinking about how you're going to lure a monster down your Awesome Hallway of Death. Trying to use the most effective trap-types (which there are a lot of) for various situations. Trying to synergize different trap combinations of (and there's still a ton I haven't unlocked). It's very satisfying to what a charging boss monster get stuck in your bear trap, while a couple of your wall traps pepper him with arrows. Maybe through in a poison gas trap for good measure. It's awesome when you're low on health and there's a monster running your way, and--right before he gets to you--the spike trap you put down earlier goes off and he gets impaled. The game is 3D looks pretty, controls fairly well (although the camera is a bit of a pain to move around, and I also like that it's mission-based; you get to go back to town after clearing out a big multi-level dungeon, where you can buy and sell equipment (including stock up on trap-crafting resources, if you're running low). Anyway, I'd highly recommend this one. Touch Arcade thread

edit: Oh and it's also filled with hilarious Engrish.

Slash'EM: Until I was about to try this one out, I hadn't realized that this one is full-fledged port of NetHack, with added content (classes, monsters, etc.) and increased difficulty (allegedly; I'm so terrible at vanilla NetHack, it's not like I'd notice if it's slightly harder). It's a sort of NetHack++. It's made by the dev of iNetHack (a dead project at this point) and NetHack HD. Slash'EM is the most polished version of NetHack on iOS that I've seen; the interface and controls aren't terrible, and the tile-sets make it look nice enough. This game makes me kind of sad, though, because as a roguelike newbie, I think I'd rather play vanilla NetHack. But the dev has made Slash'EM so well polished that it makes his earlier NetHack HD feel really clunky. And it sounds like the dev basically gave up working on NetHack HD altogether to spend his time on Slash'EM. So I'm torn... play a fantastic but wacked out, 'roided-up NetHack, or play a faithful-to-the-original version that's kind of lovely.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 17, 2013

Kwasimodick
Apr 2, 2013

by XyloJW

Trustworthy posted:

Slash'EM: Until I was about to try this one out, I hadn't realized that this one is full-fledged port of NetHack, with added content (classes, monsters, etc.) and increased difficulty (allegedly; I'm so terrible at vanilla NetHack, it's not like I'd notice if it's slightly harder). It's a sort of NetHack++. It's made by the dev of iNetHack (a dead project at this point) and NetHack HD. Slash'EM is the most polished version of NetHack on iOS that I've seen; the interface and controls aren't terrible, and the tile-sets make it look nice enough. This game makes me kind of sad, though, because as a roguelike newbie, I think I'd rather play vanilla NetHack. But the dev has made Slash'EM so well polished that it makes his earlier NetHack HD feel really clunky. And it sounds like the dev basically gave up working on NetHack HD altogether to spend his time on Slash'EM. So I'm torn... play a fantastic but wacked out, 'roided-up NetHack, or play a faithful-to-the-original version that's kind of lovely.

I played the hell out of this. It's fun destroying up the levels as the archaeologist.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

DarkHorse posted:

Have you got the $0.99 time-doubler for Pixel People, and upgraded the more profitable and longer-running businesses with utopium? That will allow you to play it more infrequently and rack up money when you're not playing.

Do you use the farm event that trades hearts for a timed earning doubler? I only play it for a few minutes in the morning and evening, and I can get plenty of money per day. You'll need the Enterprise, IT, and Farm buildings, respectively.

There's also the HQ events. I know Monkey Business has a 150 million payout, and it has seemed relatively easy to get.

I think I'm just tired of the play model. I use the farm event and the HQ missions, but I don't play long enough to get the most out of the farm and not frequent enough to complete missions regularly. I want something I can play at my pace, but now 90% of the time I try to play Pixel People, I either have to wait for more money, more people to appear, or some building to finish constructing. It seems like every sitting where I can do something comes after a day and a half of waiting for some arbitrary value to be reached.

It's the same reason I gave up on Tiny Tower. F2P games are designed to draw you in, and then slowly increase the annoyance factor until you buy something to alleviate it. But even then, it's only a temporary fix. Sure, I could get the time-doubler (it's actually $1.99 now), but it's not like the expansion costs are not going to stop jumping exponentially. Eventually, I'm going to hit the same wall of annoyance.

You'd think there'd be more of a market for paid city-builder games that don't bug you to death, but I guess the F2P model works too well for them. I've been trying some of the Kairosoft demos and got pretty attached to Edo Towns, so I might just buy that. My only complaint so far is the janky-rear end translation, but I think I can overlook that.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Zombie Samurai posted:

I think I'm just tired of the play model. I use the farm event and the HQ missions, but I don't play long enough to get the most out of the farm and not frequent enough to complete missions regularly. I want something I can play at my pace, but now 90% of the time I try to play Pixel People, I either have to wait for more money, more people to appear, or some building to finish constructing. It seems like every sitting where I can do something comes after a day and a half of waiting for some arbitrary value to be reached.

It's the same reason I gave up on Tiny Tower. F2P games are designed to draw you in, and then slowly increase the annoyance factor until you buy something to alleviate it. But even then, it's only a temporary fix. Sure, I could get the time-doubler (it's actually $1.99 now), but it's not like the expansion costs are not going to stop jumping exponentially. Eventually, I'm going to hit the same wall of annoyance.

You'd think there'd be more of a market for paid city-builder games that don't bug you to death, but I guess the F2P model works too well for them. I've been trying some of the Kairosoft demos and got pretty attached to Edo Towns, so I might just buy that. My only complaint so far is the janky-rear end translation, but I think I can overlook that.
Ah, bummer. The doubler is the first IAP I've ever purchased for a game and it makes a big difference. Some of the buildings generate profit 8 hours or more, and a sizeable number do so for at least an hour. 10 CPS * 3600 seconds per hour, times however many buildings you have adds up really quickly.

But yeah, if you're not having fun there's no point, and it sounds like you've given it a more than fair shot. Have you looking into buying more land with Utopium using the Real Estate or Astro Church? If you have a bunch of trees you can generate 40 utopium in a couple days.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Kwasimodick posted:

I played the hell out of this. It's fun destroying up the levels as the archaeologist.

The first time I played as an archeologist, I didn't realize that was his thing. For the longest time I was just marching around through the rock thinking "drat, this level is huge!" :killdozer:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Added these to the big post-OP post on RLs.

Great work, by the way. Super useful list, and finally answers that "where are all the good roguelikes" question that kept getting asked.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Shalinor posted:

Added these to the big post-OP post on RLs.

Great work, by the way. Super useful list, and finally answers that "where are all the good roguelikes" question that kept getting asked.

Cool, thanks!

Inevitable Ross
Jul 1, 2007
Have you accepted Bob as your personal Lord and Savior?
That godawful-old screenshot of The Dungeon is straight-up killing me, but it's nice seeing a big-rear end list of everything. This seems like something good to do for all of the major frequently-asked-about genres, so kudos to you, Trustworthy.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
So does 100 rogues actually work now or what? Assuming it launches the right game that is.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Fantastic write up again Trustworthy, I'll be picking a couple of those up this week!

Just to be a pedant though, especially as it's now in the OP, the Mysterious Castle review has the pic from Trap Hunter on it. It did motivate me to click the Giant Bomb link though and that's probably on the grab list, the isometric viewpoint is interesting.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Oops! Changed the Mysterious Castle pic to the one I meant to post.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 17, 2013

Kwasimodick
Apr 2, 2013

by XyloJW
Trustworthy, have you played Cardinal Quest?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cardinal-quest/id532050659?mt=8

I got it on sale for 99c or free. It's a bit superficial and short to be worth 2.99, but it's fun nonetheless.

edit: it's in the OP. I suck.

Kwasimodick fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 17, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Brogue was recently ported to iPad and released for free, so if you want a 'real' desktop roguelike, that's your best bet.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I've lurked this thread forever, and I finally have something to show you goons!

Our company, Antique Interactive, just released our first iOS app about a week ago, and it's been going really great!

It's called TapUp and it's totally free and totally cute. You basically bounce a little robot ball up in the air and try and keep it up. Simple reflex game, nothing else to it! I warn you.. there is nothing else to it!

We made a video. It's a universal app too, though it doesn't work so hot on 3GS. :(

iTunes Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFPPLn4DCog

We put it together in a few weeks during development of another title, just to get the company name out. It's been doing so much better than we ever could have anticipated, so it's been a pretty exciting week.

I'd love to hear any feedback from you all if anybody wants to give it a shot! It was made in the Unreal Engine if anyone is curious.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I can't be the only person who wants a roguelike such as 100 Rogues or Fargoal but with decent, animated graphics.

I don't mean it has to be like 3D polygon explosion. Just, more than what I've seen on offer so far...

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Gonna try out this Vendetta mmo game for a bit I'll give a trip report once I play a bit. The touch arcade release info mentioned freelancer and my heart and soul perked up with hope. Looking forward to having my heart broken once again.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Plunderland just went free. It's not great but it's a nice little time waster.

http://appshopper.com/games/plunderland

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Feenix posted:

I can't be the only person who wants a roguelike such as 100 Rogues or Fargoal but with decent, animated graphics.

I don't mean it has to be like 3D polygon explosion. Just, more than what I've seen on offer so far...

Just wait for the Dungeons of Dredmore port! I'm sure they're working really hard on it!:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've been playing GolfStar lately, by Com2us, everyones favorite Home Run Battle developer. Its pretty cool, like an even more arcadey hotshots golf.

I feel like its going to hit some sort of iap paywall soon though, anyone know if it gets crappy after a while?

• Locked thread