Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

thathonkey posted:

Is Daft Punk still considered relevant these days within dance music circles? As an outsider, it seems like house has been displaced.

The best way to describe it is how Dr. Dre is still considered relevant and popular in rap while acknowledging that his period of biggest relevance has passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
the updated body count of people who have been shipped to paris/london/hawaii/los angeles for LP6

Lupe Fiasco
Mos Def
A$AP Rocky
The Heatmakerz
Hudson MoHawke
Jeff Bhasker
Rick Ross
Azealia Banks
88-Keys
Mr Hudson
Daft Punk
The-Dream
Burial
Zomby
Justice
Diplo
M.I.A.
LMFAO
Cassius
Jay Electronica
Swedish House Mafia
Detail
James Blake
S1
Skrillex
Mannie Fresh
Theophilus London
Florence Welch
2 Chainz
Future
Ellie Goulding
Jadakiss
No I.D.
Hit-Boy
KeY Wane
System of a Down
Justin Bieber
Frank Ocean
Tyler, The Creator
TNGHT
RZA
Young Chop
Chief Keef

whoops forgot Will Smith, Pusha-T, D'banj and probably a half dozen others

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 15, 2013

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So, is he making a quadruple album?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

theflyingexecutive posted:

So, is he making a quadruple album?

If MBDTF is any indication, half of those wont actually end up on the finished album.

Also picking two random songs from MBDTF would give you:

Rick Ross
Jay Z
Nicki Minaj
Bon Iver
Elton John
Fergie
Rihanna
Kid Cudi

So it's not that far out there.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
All of the Lights by itself was
Big Sean,
Lil Wayne,
Drake,
Jeff Bhasker,
Malik Yusef,
Too Short,
Alicia Keys,
John Legend,
The-Dream,
Fergie,
Kid Cudi,
Elton John,
Ryan Leslie,
Charlie Wilson,
Tony Williams,
Elly Jackson,
Alvin Fields,
Ken Lewis,
and Rihanna. and those are just the credited folks on the final credits

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Elton John had the 10 best words on that track, if not album.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I am very happy about Florence Welch and Ellie Goulding. I'm less happy about Beebs.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Like I've said, Kanye put Elton John and Fergie on the same track and it turned out to be awesome. Even if Bieber gets a full verse on the new solo album (he won't) it'll be good.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Elton John was on "All of the Lights" :psyduck:??? Was this a remix or something I missed? I wasnt too fond of the song (liked the interlude better) so I may have only heard it like 4 times ever. Did I just miss him?

edit: Yep remix.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Elton John plays the piano bridge on the original and some of the vocals synthesize like 5-10 people together so I'm pretty sure he's "on" the track.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
All of the lights was a terrible idea put into motion very expensively

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 16, 2013

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
You can very clearly hear Elton on the track during the Outro.

The "I tried to tell you" part

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

atrus50 posted:

the updated body count of people who have been shipped to paris/london/hawaii/los angeles for LP6

Lupe Fiasco
Mos Def
A$AP Rocky
The Heatmakerz
Hudson MoHawke
Jeff Bhasker
Rick Ross
Azealia Banks
88-Keys
Mr Hudson
Daft Punk
The-Dream
Burial
Zomby
Justice
Diplo
M.I.A.
LMFAO
Cassius
Jay Electronica
Swedish House Mafia
Detail
James Blake
S1
Skrillex
Mannie Fresh
Theophilus London
Florence Welch
2 Chainz
Future
Ellie Goulding
Jadakiss
No I.D.
Hit-Boy
KeY Wane
System of a Down
Justin Bieber
Frank Ocean
Tyler, The Creator
TNGHT
RZA
Young Chop
Chief Keef

whoops forgot Will Smith, Pusha-T, D'banj and probably a half dozen others

Holy gently caress :stonk:

This is going to be a hell of a record....

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Or a mess. Like All of the Lights. Kind of a gimmick imho. (But the LP could also be great like MBDTF).

Also Cruel Summer was pretty terrible but I obviously understand the difference between a Kanye solo and a Kanye produced.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

AotL is like my favorite Kanye track. v:shobon:v

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

It's a great song.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

It's a great song off a great LP, not sure what you guys are talking about.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
My favorite Kanye song changes all the time. Lately, it has been Devil In A New Dress. Used to hate it, now I love it.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Black Griffon posted:

AotL is like my favorite Kanye track. v:shobon:v

I could live without Fergie but I agree, All of the Lights is cool as hell.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you think AotL is a mess, you haven't heard the same song I have hundreds of times.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

You can very clearly hear Elton on the track during the Outro.

The "I tried to tell you" part

Yeah, "I tried to tell you but all I can say" part is Elton. I think the album notes say he plays the piano on the Interlude too.

And AotL is brilliant. That sound he gets from melding so many people together....yum.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Now we can live the dream of a Kanye/system of a down/LMFAO/chief Sosa track coproduced by young chop and manny fresh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

Elton John was on "All of the Lights" :psyduck:??? Was this a remix or something I missed? I wasnt too fond of the song (liked the interlude better) so I may have only heard it like 4 times ever. Did I just miss him?

edit: Yep remix.

Not a remix, he's the guy saying "I tried to tell you but all I could say-ay" at the end of the track.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
All of the Lights ruled. So did Cruel Summer except for a few songs. I hated that Cudi song and I'm a dude who loved Cudi's first couple albums.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I just wish Kanye would go back to basics and make an album that doesn't need 9 million features by every single person and their cousin off the Top 50 billboard chart. But I also trust in Kanye to do something great. Sorry but to me All of the Lights is a gimmick song that would have been better IMHO stripped down. It isn't the weakest song of MBDTF though, that honor goes to So Appalled. Just cause Pitchfork gave it a 10.0 doesn't mean the album is flawless, but it is great.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

If anything, throwing a shitload of people on the album hearkens back to early Kanye more than the opposite. It was his median pair of albums that didn't have features on every other song.

Iroohik
Jul 25, 2007
As seen on nothing at all!

Black Griffon posted:

I am very happy about Florence Welch and Ellie Goulding. I'm less happy about Beebs.

I dunno, Kanye's done some amazing stuff with Beiber before. Though I seem to have heard that Beeb's hit puberty and isn't so great a singer at the moment?

thathonkey posted:

I just wish Kanye would go back to basics and make an album that doesn't need 9 million features by every single person and their cousin off the Top 50 billboard chart. But I also trust in Kanye to do something great. Sorry but to me All of the Lights is a gimmick song that would have been better IMHO stripped down. It isn't the weakest song of MBDTF though, that honor goes to So Appalled. Just cause Pitchfork gave it a 10.0 doesn't mean the album is flawless, but it is great.

Dude regularly wears skirts and is consistently the most fashionable dude in Hip-Hop, is having children with a reality tv star, and despite his owning and managing a wildly sucessful record label, still rants and raves maniacally and gets butt-hurt when the two most commercialized artists out there tour together without him.

Somehow, I don't foresee 'going back to basics' anywhere in his future.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Oh I don't see it happening either. I'll reserve further comment for when the album comes out.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Dude is just desperately trying to get them to give him that Album of the Year Grammy at this point. He's probably never going to make a classic lp again.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not a remix, he's the guy saying "I tried to tell you but all I could say-ay" at the end of the track.

Yep heard it. Blew my mind.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
So Appalled not only became my favorite song on MBDTF but it might be my favorite Kanye song overall. I just love the beat so much, and I really like all the verses (yes, even Cyhi's nonsensical ending)

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Wezlar posted:

Dude is just desperately trying to get them to give him that Album of the Year Grammy at this point. He's probably never going to make a classic lp again.

If the baby comes and it's clearly not his "808s And Heartbeaks 2" will be the greatest album of all time.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
All of y'all can suck my balls through my drawers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I remember hearing that line for the first time and just shaking my head.
So corny.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

-Atom- posted:

All of y'all can suck my balls through my drawers.

Sorry that that is from one of the worst verses Jay-Z ever wrote.

MBDTF is great, but let's face facts: So Appalled is the weakest track on the album. IMHO All of the Lights is the 2nd weakest mostly because the 9-million-features-gimmick factor alone is not enough to carry it.

Also Fergie. Kid Cudi. Swizzy. CyHi. All of these people need to stfu and stop ruining what would otherwise be decent tracks.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
At least Monster still has the greatest verse Nicki Minaj will ever spit

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

At least Monster still has the greatest verse Nicki Minaj will ever spit

Oh hands down. But the Justin Vernon part is pretty contrived. That is why it worries me to see this epic, sundry list of possible collaboraters...

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Kid Cudi is fantastic, but Creepers was complete poo poo. Most disappointing thing on the album.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So Appalled used to be my least favourite track on MBDTF too but that beat is really killer and Kanye/Pusha's verses are both fantastic. I thought Devil in a New Dress was almost the unspoken official worst track on that album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wasn't aware that there was a "worst track on that album". I genuinely enjoy every song on that one and have since I first heard it at the end of 2010 v:shobon:v

• Locked thread