Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zereth posted:

That's an exclamation point. As far as I remember he has used two periods now:

"I live in your poolshed now. Hi."

LET'S RUN OVER TO THE CORNER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Onstad on Twitter:

"Getting back to work. Starting to leak little preview panels."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh hell and drat yes

80s Ray and Beef, a slam on Jello Biafra... the good times are back!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Der Shovel posted:

Oh hell and drat yes

80s Ray and Beef, a slam on Jello Biafra... the good times are back!

For a week or two, then Onstad gets the depression and has to go off and review Oiled Turtle Eggs or Cinnamon Tree Bark in Aspic or whatever.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Doing the rounds through the archive, I think this one has some of my favorite dialogue.

Boy Named Sue
Apr 19, 2003

YARRRRRR!!!
I wonder if Pat would be a fan of Game of Thrones?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

For a week or two, then Onstad gets the depression and has to go off and review Oiled Turtle Eggs or Cinnamon Tree Bark in Aspic or whatever.

Welp, I hope everyone enjoyed my latest aborted attempt to get to the punchline. I'd like to wrap things up, but I gotta get to the airport; I'm writing an article about the cuisine of *places index finger at random on map of the world* Latvia.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I actually managed to work into a conversation Teodors comments about British food a while back. Sadly, no one got the reference.
From this strip: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05262003

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Who has used more periods, Roast Beef, or Nice Pete? Get to work, Internet.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Why does Onstad say:

Christ Onstand posted:

...having unwittingly launched the strip on September 11, 2001

In his blog post about relaunching the store?

The first strip was posted on Oct 1st, 2001.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

a starwar betamax posted:

Why does Onstad say:

In his blog post about relaunching the store?

The first strip was posted on Oct 1st, 2001.

I believe he put the first few comics online on September 11th and sent the link around to his friends, then wound up calling that a soft launch and holding off on launching it as an ongoing endeavor. I can't find the interview where he says that for the life of me, though, so I could just be making poo poo up.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I'm not sure if this is the only time Roast Beef has really laughed, but I don't think we've ever seen anything like it since.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Howard Beale posted:

I'm not sure if this is the only time Roast Beef has really laughed, but I don't think we've ever seen anything like it since.

The cat is so happy his eyes turn into Pac-Men.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Howard Beale posted:

DRIP, but it's not as boisterous as Cheers.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Deathlove posted:

DRIP, but it's not as boisterous as Cheers.

Yes, but that three-panel sequence of Ray is one of the funniest sequences ever in the history of Achewood.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe, but god drat those two weeks will be glorious.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Der Shovel posted:

Maybe, but god drat those two weeks will be glorious.

Oh god, it'll be John K getting fired from Ren and Stimpy all over again.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

The cat is so happy his eyes turn into Pac-Men.

Sometimes it shames me how much achewood has crept into my dialect. This includes "oh hee hee". The little gray cat is just so delighted

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Phy posted:

Sometimes it shames me how much achewood has crept into my dialect. This includes "oh hee hee". The little gray cat is just so delighted

I still find myself using "hell of" from time to time, and I'm a Midwestern boy who hasn't been to California since the mid-1990s. So I blame this entirely on Achewood. :colbert:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I've been known to break out "Oh hell and drat yes" and "Oh poo poo! Oh God drat!" from time to time, myself.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"We got the chessboard out and you playin' Whack-A-Mole" has proven a surprisingly useful metaphor in casual conversations.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I'm a big fan of 'Screw you _______! gently caress you!'

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Wanderer posted:

"We got the chessboard out and you playin' Whack-A-Mole" has proven a surprisingly useful metaphor in casual conversations.

I use that, but the one that comes in handiest is describing someone as having come from Circumstances. Tells people what they need to know without getting into ugly details when talking about, say, child abuse.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Hoover Dam posted:

I use that, but the one that comes in handiest is describing someone as having come from Circumstances. Tells people what they need to know without getting into ugly details when talking about, say, child abuse.

I use "comes from Circumstances" so often that sometimes I forget it's an Achewood thing. Also saying people "got depression".

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
"He said 'human being' the way old telegrams said STOP" is both one of my favourite Achewoodisms and one I thought would come in handy far more often than it actually has to date, i.e. not at all. Maybe that's a good thing in itself, though. :shobon:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
A phrase I hope to find somewhere to use once in my life:
poo poo-hot mother sex peppers:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12042008

A bit of dialogue that has been cracking me up nonstop lately is Dr. Andretti accidentally naming a Red Hot Chili Peppers album:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09092008

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

"He said 'human being' the way old telegrams said STOP" is both one of my favourite Achewoodisms and one I thought would come in handy far more often than it actually has to date, i.e. not at all. Maybe that's a good thing in itself, though. :shobon:

I have used that expression to describe some of the oafs I went to High School with. It gets laughs.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
"Go buttshit apehole" and/or "yerp onna frikkin' floor" are popular favorites in my household. Also, I say "Oh God man this is so waaaackyyyyy" at least once a week.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I convinced my friend to come over and watch the hockey game the other day with promises of a crispy 12-pack in the fridge.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Oh man that is mega-nasty

That is dog poo poo

There's just something about describing any person's physique as being "dog poo poo" that never fails to crack me up. I probably use it too much.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Spam spam spam spam eggs spam. This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! My hovercraft is full of eels!

Edit: But seriously, I don't think I ever started using "a thing"/"doing a thing" until reading Achewood.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
7/15/04 - Roast Beef wishes for a pair of shoes. - http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07152004

10/13/06 - JUDAS PRIEST FRIDAY THE 13TH - http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10132006

I like it when little things get paid off.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MMAgCh posted:

The alt-text for that one is one of my all-time favorites:

"Seven men, pissing into empties, calling you 'human being'. They cannot see you."

I know that in a traditional line-up they'd be taking turns, but I can't help but laugh as I imagine seven dudes simultaneously pissing into empties, absently minding their pecker while they sporadically look up at the glass long enough to bark out 'human being' before returning to the business at hand.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

> did...I win?

TODD THINKS SO.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm about a third of the way through The Sisters Brothers and I'm having a hard time not picturing these dudes as Nice Pete.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

withak posted:

I'm about a third of the way through The Sisters Brothers and I'm having a hard time not picturing these dudes as Nice Pete.

That is a surprisingly apt comparison. Charlie is much more Nice Pete then Eli is, though they both have many similarities.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
There is a lot of flak and such going around issue 12 of Saga, published this week when the real
issue should be the appearance of a SPECIAL BOY in its pages!

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Yannick_B posted:

There is a lot of flak and such going around issue 12 of Saga, published this week when the real
issue should be the appearance of a SPECIAL BOY in its pages!

Oh no... was the controversy over Philippe getting buggered?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

Oh no... was the controversy over Philippe getting buggered?

I'm teaching myself JavaScript now and one of the first scripts I make will have that exchange for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

One of my friends just posted a picture of a bottle of Blue Label next to a half-eaten slice of pizza and an empty beer glass on her Facebook. It begs for an Achewood reference, but I really don't know what.

Other than "You can do whatever you want in life," of course.