Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm going with an elaborate troll attempt. You have a college degree and you're not going officer, or 35 series or some other technical MOS? :wtf:

"They don't have anything else open man, it's now or never."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I always want to laugh at people but I enlisted into 13 series. I was 17 though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm going with an elaborate troll attempt. You have a college degree and you're not going officer, or 35 series or some other technical MOS? And picky 13B of all your choices? :wtf:

At any rate, welcome to the Army.

Hey, there's a part of me that wants to say gently caress it, and pick the best job that enables me to blow poo poo up too. I think I'll stick with a tech job though.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

ethanol posted:

Hey, there's a part of me that wants to say gently caress it, and pick the best job that enables me to blow poo poo up too. I think I'll stick with a tech job though.

Maintain that instinct, shipmate.

Just remember: not nuke!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Beria posted:

Maintain that instinct, shipmate.

Just remember: not nuke!

Ha, well I think you have to be 23 or less to be a nuke anyways, and I'll be 24 in august, which is likely before nuke would open up anyways. Also gently caress that poo poo, too much work, too little reward. Not to mention, the civilian nuke industry in the US is a complete nightmare right now.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 16, 2013

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Man well glad we were able to help that college-educated guy get all his poo poo straight so he could enlist as a *checks google* ... Cannon Crewmember?

Eh. Eh heh heh. Heh heh heh.

Welp at least you can quote literature and whatnot while you do police-calls and poo poo details with 17 year old PVT Numnuts.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
Here's my tip to any goon u fortunate to feel they have to enlist with a degree: don't mention it unless absolutely necessary, like for example to get points on a rating exam

They'll find out anyway, better later than sooner though

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

Apply to the CIA and NSA as well.

Rude. posted:

Don't forget the DIA too!

Maybe I already did and just didn't want to mention it :iiam:

So more USNR chat: if I went in as CTI, would I have to wait longer than normal for a slot at DLI to open up, or would they just toss me into the next intake class? If I had to wait, would I be eligible to attend drill in the meantime, or would they not want a boot-only babby sailor hanging around? Any of the listed outcomes is fine, just want to know what would be going on.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

All this has happened before, and will happen again.

Corn crop is pretty good this year.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

ethanol posted:

You're me with a good GPA. If I had a good GPA, I'd be going for OCS. 3.84 is amazing, you should at least try for OCS first.

Yeah but what are the odds of a non-technical degree holder with zero decent letters of recommendation getting into OCS out of probably a couple thousand other candidates?

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 17, 2013

Manmower
Feb 22, 2013
Not having a technical degree isn't going to stop you from getting into OCS. Also anyone can get solid letters of recommendation if they put in the legwork. Don't sell yourself short or you'll regret it in the long run. Go for broke!

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

Manmower posted:

Not having a technical degree isn't going to stop you from getting into OCS. Also anyone can get solid letters of recommendation if they put in the legwork. Don't sell yourself short or you'll regret it in the long run. Go for broke!

Ya bro my divisional officer has a degree in poli sci and he's a loving pilot

Technical degrees don't mean gently caress

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Defleshed posted:

Man well glad we were able to help that college-educated guy get all his poo poo straight so he could enlist as a *checks google* ... Cannon Crewmember?

Eh. Eh heh heh. Heh heh heh.

Welp at least you can quote literature and whatnot while you do police-calls and poo poo details with 17 year old PVT Numnuts.

I get to blow poo poo up until I'm sick of blowing poo poo up, then I can do something else. It's about the lifestyle, travel opportunities, pension, etc. I'd also say the odds of getting commissioned were zero for me at this time between a relatively recent DUI and some financial issues. So I'll spend a while clearing up my life/finances while blowing poo poo up and out performing 17 year old PVT Numnutses and then combined with a sick GT score I should be able to get commissioned if that's what I do end up going for. But poo poo man, spending a few years blowing poo poo up is better than jacking off as a civilian and doing gently caress all.

But no seriously, tell North Korea to cut it out.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Are you trolling? Dude, 95% of your job is going to be lovely bitch work. I hope all the best for you, honestly, but as a lower enlisted artilleryman life won't be as cool as you may think. Intelligence won't get you promoted in the 13 series.

Edit: Didn't see the last line. I'm glad you appreciate the spot your in but...dude 13 series?

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Are you trolling? Dude, 95% of your job is going to be lovely bitch work. I hope all the best for you, honestly, but as a lower enlisted artilleryman life won't be as cool as you may think. Intelligence won't get you promoted in the 13 series.

Edit: Didn't see the last line. I'm glad you appreciate the spot your in but...dude 13 series?

When I say it's about lifestyle I don't mean that it will be awesome to do bitch work. And hell, I have a whole life to do some office poo poo; hell I've been doing office poo poo my whole life. I wanted to do something different and this is different. Maybe that sounds dumb to you and everyone else in the thread.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Nimmy posted:

When I say it's about lifestyle I don't mean that it will be awesome to do bitch work. And hell, I have a whole life to do some office poo poo; hell I've been doing office poo poo my whole life. I wanted to do something different and this is different. Maybe that sounds dumb to you and everyone else in the thread.

Adorable. Enjoy police calls and lifting 155's!

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

Adorable. Enjoy police calls and lifting 155's!

Some stuff about the army sucks? gently caress! Does this count as a war time for desertion?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Nimmy posted:

I wish you all the best, honestly, but you should have picked another job IMO.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

I wish you all the best, honestly, but you should have picked another job IMO.

Maybe so. I don't mean to come across so defensive either. I'm cool with it for now and I don't imagine I'll be in this MOS for 20 years. And hell man, howitzers need smart people too.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hey, the decision is made. Let's not poo poo on it when he's gonna have to live with it. I sure as hell don't want to regret my mos the day I choose it.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
hahahahahhhahhhahahahahahahhahahahaaahahahahahahahhhhahhahhhhahhhahaaaahahahahahahhahhahhahhahhahahhahahahhhahahahahahaahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahah

*takes huge breath*

hahahahahhhahhhahahahahahahhahahahaaahahahahahahahhhhahhahhhhahhhahaaaahahahahahahhahhahhahhahhahahhahahahhhahahahahahaahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahah

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nimmy posted:

Maybe so. I don't mean to come across so defensive either. I'm cool with it for now and I don't imagine I'll be in this MOS for 20 years. And hell man, howitzers need smart people too.

"Weight as fired: 43.88 kg" :laugh:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Nimmy posted:

No, they dont.

Nimmy posted:

Some stuff about the army sucks? gently caress! Does this count as a war time for desertion?

Ahahahaha

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 17, 2013

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
oh man im laughing so loving hard im crying

you poor dumb bastard

back out while you still have a chance

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Nimmy posted:

Please back out. Go 35/25/other branch equivalent. Take something with you after your contract. You get paid the same whether your pulling weeds or sitting in an office.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nimmy posted:

You know, I was gonna poke a bit of fun at you being defensive, but I'm lucid right now, so here's some advice.

Hearing protection, holy gently caress use it. Double up if appropriate.
If you're hurting, especially knees or back, go to sick call. gently caress any idiot who criticizes you, they'll probably be medded out a few years in cause they thought they were hard.
If you find your job sucks, keep an eye out for MILPERs floating around calling for volunteer reclasses. ie, right now they are looking for voluntary reclasses for 35Q. That most likely won't be an option for you by the time you're eligible, but something may pop up.

In my opinion, there's no way to prepare you for the stupid you just signed yourself up for. Just try and take a deep breath and let it go the first time you see someone wrapping their dick around their wrist and asking you if there's something wrong with their watch. There will be many, many, more bouts of dumb and way, way dumber poo poo.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I went 13M because I wanted to kill people but was too much of an awkward dork to go 11B. I would up getting shot at, blown up, and shooting people anyway. Sure I have the GI bill but no relevant experience from my service.
Almost everyday I wish I did a job that would give me a boost.

Something that mattered, a learned skill instead of "IM A VET HURR!"
You can get PAID experience from the army. Please, do something better.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

snip

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 16, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

oh man im laughing so loving hard im crying

you poor dumb bastard

back out while you still have a chance

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

You're an interesting fellow, aren't you?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
To be honest that's probably most of our actual IRL responses.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

not caring here posted:

To be honest that's probably most of our actual IRL responses.

I snorted in class when I read it on my iPad, this is true.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

ethanol posted:

You're an interesting fellow, aren't you?

I'm not sure what you mean.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So just curious, how does the process of the drug waiver work? You need a commander's signature or something? What the hell does he care?

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 17, 2013

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nimmy posted:

13Blow poo poo up. May 7th ship out. Guess I'm done with this thread now, thanks again.

:(
why

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ethanol posted:

So just curious, how does the process of the drug waiver work?

Depends on how recent and how much. Could be difficult nowadays.

STOP DOING DRUGS IF YOU WANT TO JOIN!

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
:(

puppies make everything better

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Depends on how recent and how much. Could be difficult nowadays.

STOP DOING DRUGS IF YOU WANT TO JOIN!

I have. Assuming 2 years back in college. Open ended.. more than 5 times? Only MJ. I just want to know what it actually entails.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ethanol posted:

I have. Assuming 2 years back in college. Open ended.. more than 5 times? Only MJ. I just want to know what it actually entails.

I'd probably lie, because the chances of them finding out are low. If you aren't hot you're probably good. But if you are going for a clearance you never know.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuaXx2E75v4

Nimmer, watch closely. This is your future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'd probably lie, because the chances of them finding out are low. If you aren't hot you're probably good. But if you are going for a clearance you never know.

I want intelligence. Because I'm so loving intelligent. Hey if they want to DQ me because I'm honest about it, then it isn't the outfit for me. But it seems like that isn't the way it works. But seriously, if somebody has done the drug waiver, what does it mean? How long does it take? I've already heard the risks of lying and not lying.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 17, 2013

• Locked thread