Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Psion posted:

Hm, I can give this a try. Do I need any prereqs to get a battleship to show? I let a UFO escape earlier in the game - before the base assault (not by choice) but the UFO that tried to shoot down my satellite was not a battleship.

with this game I started in South America because I'm also doing one start per continent and I have to say if you know how to stun and capture aggressively, early, the instant autopsies giving you research credits really helps you blow the tech curve. So it may be I'm expecting battleships because I'm finishing out my research trees and the game hasn't "caught up" yet.

The game always matches your teching, so there is no way to "outtech" the aliens. As for battleships, look for them around the time of the overseer ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Psion posted:

Hm, I can give this a try. Do I need any prereqs to get a battleship to show? I let a UFO escape earlier in the game - before the base assault (not by choice) but the UFO that tried to shoot down my satellite was not a battleship.

with this game I started in South America because I'm also doing one start per continent and I have to say if you know how to stun and capture aggressively, early, the instant autopsies giving you research credits really helps you blow the tech curve. So it may be I'm expecting battleships because I'm finishing out my research trees and the game hasn't "caught up" yet.

Alien progress is for the most part time-based and I doubt you'll see a battleship before July, even if you "farm" for them.

Also, South America doesn't actually help you get Laser Rifles any faster. If you go straight for them it costs 160 RP to obtain, whereas going the Instant Interrogation route it costs 200 RP from the overhead of doing containment (not to mention the extra bitcoin cost of getting an alien containment early). There's a slight advantage to it when you add in Carapace and the other Laser weapon technologies (though Heavy Lasers is better to skip), but the price for that is starting with half as much money as say, North America, and that really hurts your early game.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Psion posted:

The overseer ships doesn't count. It has to be one of the UFO's that are looking for satelittes. And it has to be a few months in, otherwise the second ship is just a bigger scout.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is there any way to deal with or prevent mind control other than killing the Ethereal in one turn or mind shields? A preemptive PSI inspire never seems to do it, nor does being the volunteer. I haven't tried combat stims yet, how do you use those effectively?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
The Uber Ethereal? AFAIK the only way is to kill him before he gets a shot off.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, I got kinda burned out on the game after my "first mission, second turn" team wipe a few weeks ago, and haven't touched since. Recently I've started watching BEeagle's videos again to see if my will to play resurfaces, and I've noticed that he will use his pistol quite a bit in some missions, and not only in snipers or people with low ammo, I've just watched him switch to pistol on an assault with a full clip; is there any particular reason for this?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If the damage is enough that you'll kill it with a hit from either the pistol or the rifle, you might as well save the rifle ammo and not have to reload later. Or he's weakening it for a arc capture, I guess.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, I got kinda burned out on the game after my "first mission, second turn" team wipe a few weeks ago, and haven't touched since. Recently I've started watching BEeagle's videos again to see if my will to play resurfaces, and I've noticed that he will use his pistol quite a bit in some missions, and not only in snipers or people with low ammo, I've just watched him switch to pistol on an assault with a full clip; is there any particular reason for this?

If the target only has 1 HP, always switch to pistol.

On overwatch, Assaults should generally switch to pistols because shotguns get penalties at range and enemies tend to trigger overwatch shots at maximum range. Snipers cannot move and fire in the same turn (unless they have snapshot), so must switch to pistols if they want to fire/overwatch after moving.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Accuracy with the pistol is the same and it guaranteed 1 damage. So if you're finishing someone with 1 damage, you might as well use the pistol so you can delay the reload turn.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

hhhmmm posted:

The overseer ships doesn't count. It has to be one of the UFO's that are looking for satelittes. And it has to be a few months in, otherwise the second ship is just a bigger scout.

I've definitely gotten a battleship to show up during the second month.
Granted, I was playing I/I, and I didn't actually want the battleship, but one of my fighters got shot down during an engagement (or I aborted right before it was destroyed, I don't remember).

Next ship was a battleship that two shot my fighter who was just using pheonix cannons :)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

quote:

Pistol Info

Ah, that makes sense. I thought it may be the case, but barring Heavies, I can't really remember running out of ammo mid-encounter with any of my other soldiers (unless I forgot to reload between enemy activations).

And that time I cleared almost every enemy on a terror mission with an In The Zone sniper. I say "almost" because two floaters survived because I ran out of ammo for her. :getin:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Ammo problems are pretty common prior to the Foundry project on Impossible, simply because 'between enemy activations' doesn't come that often. Enemies will waltz up while you're still in the middle of fighting it out with the first squad you saw. Even on terror missions with early Chryssalids in Classic, you'll often run dry at awful times.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
beaglerush uploading, ah, something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij6mAEL6_IM

Edit: Wow, he picked all the most obnoxious second wave options.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 16, 2013

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Nephilm posted:

The Uber Ethereal? AFAIK the only way is to kill him before he gets a shot off.

Nope, just one of the regular ones that spawn with it. This was on classic.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Thanks for the answers regarding support vs assaults. I'm still gonna use supports because they seem more forgiving to newbies, but now I finally see the use for assaults. Next playthrough will be on Classic Ironman, I'll try them out then.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Skilleddk posted:

Thanks for the answers regarding support vs assaults. I'm still gonna use supports because they seem more forgiving to newbies, but now I finally see the use for assaults. Next playthrough will be on Classic Ironman, I'll try them out then.

I dunno I find run and gun plus rapid fire to be a brilliant combo if used well. I use mine with rifles instead of shotguns.

One support is more than enough.

Execu-speak fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 16, 2013

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I usually give a sniper a med pack late game so they can res the unlucky support who got teleport sectopod'd in the face.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

sean10mm posted:

As a side note, the Slingshot DLC lets you kill a battleship early on. On the downside, it's not actually that fun of a DLC.

The chance to get blaster launchers earlier in the game is incredibly worth it. On previous playthroughs I only got to use them on the final mission.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Psion posted:

On another topic, I'm on a run trying to get the "research everything" achievement, and one thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out when certain enemies spawn. I need some Heavy Floater corpses and I haven't seen any yet but I've been deep in Mutons and Beserkers the last few missions. Similarly how can I get a battleship to spawn for its fusion core? My first game I never even saw one.

I don't know exactly when they show up, but heavy floaters are pretty hard to miss if you just keep playing and don't use the Gallop Chamber.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

revtoiletduck posted:

I don't know exactly when they show up, but heavy floaters are pretty hard to miss if you just keep playing and don't use the Gallop Chamber.

It figures one UFO after I posted that message I got my first heavy floater to show up. I just need to kill like five more for research.

As for the assault v support thing, consider this, my assaults with alloy cannon can usually take a muton berserker out with run and gun for positioning and then rapid fire. In the early game you may not really see a huge difference, but man, will you ever late game. Two crit hits with that gun, just, drat. Instead of having to focus fire the entire team on a berserker I just ask my colonel assault to go do his job. :v:

I've never really found a good use for smoke. I keep saving them on the assumption that "okay if I screw up and overextend I can smoke a teammate and hopefully keep them alive" but ... I don't normally do it. And now I have ghost armor so I can just cloak and run away. What is a good use for those things?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psion posted:

I've never really found a good use for smoke. I keep saving them on the assumption that "okay if I screw up and overextend I can smoke a teammate and hopefully keep them alive" but ... I don't normally do it. And now I have ghost armor so I can just cloak and run away. What is a good use for those things?

Its defensive bonus is the same as the difference between half and hard cover, meaning that if you need to hold out in half cover, it can provide some security. With Dense smoke, the bonus is upped to 40% dodge increase, allowing you to fire shots on a turn while being very hard to hit if you need to thin alien numbers, but can't kill all of them at once.

Basically rather than existing to save a soldier from trouble, smokes exist to fortify a position, allowing you to be more aggressive for a turn or two.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
High cover + dense smoke + ghost armor = -100% hit chance?

+ hunker down = -140? :v:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
With that said, I use it much more in the early game where I use it at every opportunity instead of saving it for later.

Basically the game is deadly enough that I'd rather have a chance of facing a tough situation without smoke versus not facing a tough situation again later because I died.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

animatorZed posted:

beaglerush uploading, ah, something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij6mAEL6_IM

Edit: Wow, he picked all the most obnoxious second wave options.

How come he gets all those Second Wave options? Before completing the game at all, I had the first 4 (down to Hidden Potential) and now that I've completed an Ironman Normal I've got 8, down to Marathon - do I have to complete a Classic game to get the last batch?

I mean, I'm going to complete Classic Ironman anyway, but...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

immortal flow posted:

How come he gets all those Second Wave options? Before completing the game at all, I had the first 4 (down to Hidden Potential) and now that I've completed an Ironman Normal I've got 8, down to Marathon - do I have to complete a Classic game to get the last batch?

You need to complete Classic for four more and Impossible for the last four.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zore posted:

Anyone know if this is done retroactively for people who beat these difficulties before second wave stuff got enabled?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Zore posted:

specifically, they are unlocked in tiers based upon the highest level of difficulty completed, regardless of all other settings(i.e ironman). The type of setting seems to be categorized by the level of unlock

For the most part the normal level ones introduce random elements,
The Hard options are the middle ones that change the environment, but not favoring one side or the other
The Impossible options all make life as commander exponentially more difficult.

E:

Rascyc posted:

Anyone know if this is done retroactively for people who beat these difficulties before second wave stuff got enabled?

Yes, the second wave patch works retroactively. (Well, it did for me anyway)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rascyc posted:

Yes. If you have ever beaten a difficulty level then those options will be unlocked for you.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Deuce posted:

High cover + dense smoke + ghost armor = -100% hit chance?

+ hunker down = -140? :v:

Hunker Down is +20 Defense and Crit Immunity.

immortal flow posted:

Between "seasons" 1 and 2 of Ironman Impossible he did a full (Ironman) Impossible playthrough off-camera.

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 16, 2013

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
That Beaglerush video is interesting, letting you watch his thought process. I gamble a lot more than him (and get burned for it). I don't think the game is winable with those second wave options, though. He's actually losing money each month and can't build a satellite.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Diminishing returns + Marathon is pretty brutal. He'll have to learn to build workshops.

Yeah, that seems to be true. My bad.
VVVV

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 16, 2013

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Nephilm posted:

Hunker Down is +20 Defense and Crit Immunity.

In full cover Hunker Down gives +40 defense. It gives +20 defense in half cover.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

amanasleep posted:

In full cover Hunker Down gives +40 defense. It gives +20 defense in half cover.

Although if you have 100 defense already, you should be shooting instead!

Real result: cyber disc tosses grenade, cover blown, shot by thin man

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Hah, the RNG gave him the flooded street map.
Whelp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ighuZOpTc

Edit: Holy poo poo, the truck, haha.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 17, 2013

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Hahahahaha, his reaction to that first death is priceless.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

animatorZed posted:

Hah, the RNG gave him the flooded street map.
Whelp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ighuZOpTc

Edit: Holy poo poo, the truck, haha.

I like how he picked the hardest options already and then XCOM decided he needed a greater challenge.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Bloody hell, I hate that map.

Also he touched on the pistol question I posted after watching his first Live video. :v: (which had already been answered anyway, thanks guys!)

/edit: ahahaha holy poo poo the alien clown car. :xcom:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 17, 2013

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I think that map and the rooftop cafe terror map are the worst maps to have early on (the rooftop construction yard may be about as bad though). This is where you must have some good ranged engagement options like a squadsight sniper or heavy available, and so his previous injuries came back to hurt him on this map. To win on that map, I've used the first bus stop and the fire hydrant to get myself control of the middle of the map. The left side of the map is a no man's land, which means that if you trigger anything on that side and force them to come after you in overwatch traps and put them next to the cars rather than you, you can get the upper hand by feigning a retreat (which is what's done on the other side if you try to advance forward). From there, you can grenade from the safety of the bus stop with or without overwatch concerns. If you're lucky the mind melder will be next to a car (the one on the left is usually taken). So basically I disagree with his notion of you must advance on that map or die, especially when it comes to the first pack.

The tricky part to that tactic is to get the AI to see you, pull your bait out safely (this is risky admittedly but this is where I hunker down by the fire hydrant to draw fire first), and then observe them moving next to the car rather than the fire hydrant. I hunker down in partial cover intentionally with someone to the side and use dash for overwatch-breaking - this should make it the closest to lightning reflexes for non-assaults. Half cover can be used strategically in this way, not just as a stop-gap piece of cover.

Also, I think he was screwed by the hidden activation bug with the first death and that's where things went wrong mostly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Man, he came unhinged that map. I love it, because when he talks in post with editing he's always so calm and composed. He really got dice raped there too, just through the sheer amount of missed flanks, non crit flanks, and flanks that rolled a 2 or 3 for damage when they did hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
On one of my first classic/ironman playthroughs I hit the rooftop cafe for my first terror mission and it turned out to be my moment of greatest glory because for whatever reason the chryssalids never moved from the rooftop part and I was able to save all but 3 of the hostages by circling the perimeter of the building.

• Locked thread