Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hazo posted:

I know Discovery has essentially given up, but "Monsters and Mysteries in America" is just something so far beyond :effort:

"I personally shot, killed, and handled two bigfoots... I buried them and never went back because... uh... just because."

Who are you to criticize? You weren't there man! You don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Exploder posted:

I remember him saying something like he is the youngest captain and boat owner in the Bering Sea. That answers iastudent's question about the previous owner. And I don't think he is ready, but I sure am rooting for him. Josh has always been one of my favorites.

edit: Just re-watched it, and it's confirmed. Josh says he owns his boat and is the captain. But I haven't seen anything about it actually being the C.M. And I think I tuned Elliot out the first time I watched this video, but on second view he says "I think being 30 years old and owning a boat is proof enough that I know what I'm doing." So ELLIOT, of all the people in the Bering Sea, owns a loving boat now too. I wonder how big of a hand the producers had in that. I can't wait for this trainwreck, or rather, shipwreck.

I believe Josh can pull it off as long as Jake isn't there. At least Josh has gotten over his father's death and can move on.

Also, seeing Elliot again will be glorious. My dad is a crab fisherman off the coast of Newfoundland, and he despised him. I think Elliot is the first captain that made me start cheering to the screen hoping he got empty pots, which he had no problem giving me.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hey, River Monsters is back tonight with a two-hour season premiere, so, you know, you guys should definitely watch Jeremy Wade continue being the coolest dude ever.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hazo posted:

Hey, River Monsters is back tonight with a two-hour season premiere, so, you know, you guys should definitely watch Jeremy Wade continue being the coolest dude ever.

I think he is going to Chernobyl this season?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Man I still miss Captain Phil :(

I know it's dumb but I still got chills every time I saw the intro to the show last year and they had that brief flash of Phil's face right before it flashed to Jake and Josh.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Phil's why I started watching Catch, and his absence has made it more and more difficult to watch.

At this point I'm watching it just for the Hansen crew.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kefkafloyd posted:

Phil's why I started watching Catch, and his absence has made it more and more difficult to watch.

At this point I'm watching it just for the Hansen crew.

I still watch to see the Time Bandit goes do hilariously dangerous things.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I like watching Keith treat his greenhorns like utter poo poo and wonder why none ever make it.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Seriously, Keith running greenhorns through the grinder is great. His crew does work hard though and I imagine is would be tough to break into a group of hard working guys like that.

Freddy fit in well after coming over from the Cornelia Marie because he had a great work ethic. Hard working, no nonsense guy that has fun from time to time.

Any greenhorn needs to work on a boat where they fit personality wise with the crew and captain.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Speaking of greenhorns, do we know if Lynn Guitard is still on the Wizard?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I wonder if Freddy gave any consideration to going back to the CM with Josh as captain.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
I mostly watch because of the Northwestern and the Time Bandit. I used to hate the Hillstrands, because I thought they were obnoxiously happy and positive, but I've grown to enjoy their hijinks. Junior is a pretty cool dude too. As much as I hate Elliot, it's fun to hatewatch him. I think it's the trainwreck element that makes Elliot entertaining.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I wonder if Freddy gave any consideration to going back to the CM with Josh as captain.

Keith did really well last year, if I recall, so he has a good thing going there. I hope he did go back with Josh, though. Some of the best moments were the interactions between Freddy and the Harris boys.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Exploder posted:

I mostly watch because of the Northwestern and the Time Bandit. I used to hate the Hillstrands, because I thought they were obnoxiously happy and positive, but I've grown to enjoy their hijinks. Junior is a pretty cool dude too. As much as I hate Elliot, it's fun to hatewatch him. I think it's the trainwreck element that makes Elliot entertaining.

Keith did really well last year, if I recall, so he has a good thing going there. I hope he did go back with Josh, though. Some of the best moments were the interactions between Freddy and the Harris boys.
One of my favorite moments from last season was Elliott not being able to understand why calling his ex no less than 51 times in two days might be grounds for a Restraining Order.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Keith is a reckless rear end in a top hat that will eventually kill someone but he does consistently make a shitload of money for that boat.

Elliot is just a reckless rear end in a top hat.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

I think he is going to Chernobyl this season?

Yeah, that was tonight's episode. It was awesome, but i could listen to Jeremy Wade talk about absolutely anything.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Crazy Ted posted:

One of my favorite moments from last season was Elliott not being able to understand why calling his ex no less than 51 times in two days might be grounds for a Restraining Order.

I feel like it was in less than one day. Or it was more times, over two days? I feel like it was more extreme either way. I remember being shocked at the numbers. I was kind of shocked that the season recap didn't mention his constant calling at all. I guess they had to appease him to get him to stay on the show? I hope they don't have the kid gloves on in the edit room with him.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So a bank, an actual live bank, gave Elliott Neese one point five million dollars to buy a boat. What the gently caress.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Crazy Ted posted:

So a bank, an actual live bank, gave Elliott Neese one point five million dollars to buy a boat. What the gently caress.

That made my head spin. Do the people who run this supposed bank actually watch the show and/or know this guy? Elliot owns his own boat (well, kind of), and Josh Harris is still stuck on the Time Bandit. There is no justice there.

Watching Fourtner poke through Andy's fingernail was horrible. It kind of hurt watching it. Andy is one tough son of a bitch.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Someone gave Elliott $1.5 million.

Someone gave Elliott $1.5 million and thought it was a good idea.

Someone gave Elliott $1.5 million and he bought a piece of poo poo rustbucket.

Everyone told you you can't do it because you're a terrible captain.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Elliot Neese seems like the kind of guy that if you had it, you'd give 1.5 million dollars just make him go away. I can only assume that is what happened.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Elliot Neese seems like the kind of guy that if you had it, you'd give 1.5 million dollars just make him go away. I can only assume that is what happened.
No. It's much better than that.

Remember the episode of Deadliest Catch last season where Elliott decided to take a nap in the middle of the night and let one of his loving Greenhorns pilot (or whatever you call it) the boat, only for the Greenhorn to immediately fall asleep for 90 minutes and then wake up just in time for the Ramblin' Rose to run full speed into an iceflow? Well, the owner saw that episode when it aired on Discovery and basically told Elliott to gently caress off and never touch his boat again.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Edgar doesn't age; Jake has aged a decade in two seasons. He's clearly the Deckhand of Dorian Gray.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Is it that unusual for someone to take over while the captain sleeps? It seems like a huge fuckup on the greenhorn's part, not Elliot's.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Overdrift posted:

Is it that unusual for someone to take over while the captain sleeps? It seems like a huge fuckup on the greenhorn's part, not Elliot's.
Everyone takes a turn in the wheelhouse while the captain sleeps, but you don't put the greenhorn in the chair when you're remotely close to anything that the ship could hit/ get hosed up by.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

nmfree posted:

Everyone takes a turn in the wheelhouse while the captain sleeps, but you don't put the greenhorn in the chair when you're remotely close to anything that the ship could hit/ get hosed up by.

Also, some ships have two guys that can run things like Andy and Jonathan or Keith and Monte. Didn't Elliot completely hate his crew, too?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Man, I'm really rooting hard for Josh. Kid just can't catch a break with the huge albatross of his brother hanging around his neck

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Also, some ships have two guys that can run things like Andy and Jonathan or Keith and Monte. Didn't Elliot completely hate his crew, too?
And Elliott's crew hated him right back.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Man, I'm really rooting hard for Josh. Kid just can't catch a break with the huge albatross of his brother hanging around his neck
Jake's facial sores are HAWT!!!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

They've shown the Hansen bros have that argument multiple times over the past couple of years, and every single time it seems like Sig is being unnecessarily mean toward his bro. At first, I figured, editing, but after about the third round, I'm starting to wonder if: A)Sig is simply not saying some poo poo that Edgar has done recently, out of respect for cameras, which makes him look worse, or B)Sig has a big ego and doesn't want to give the boat up.

Josh's situation is a million times worse when framed against Elliot of all people. Dude was a failure of a captain, got fired, and still got his own boat. :smith:

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Sig has a big ego and doesn't want to give the boat up.

After their argument in the new episode I'm leaning towards this. Edgar really drove it home about Sig holding his past over his head regardless of how well he performs now. He had a point with that every time he brings up him running the boat that Sig shuts it down by not talking about, but then wants to rail on him for poo poo he won't share in the first place.

I did think that scene with Elliot's father breaking up with pride was good, but I'm sure at some point in the season we'll get him being a douche to even his own father.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Missed the season opener last night, I'll have to catch it in the next couple of days. Can't wait for hopefully a whole season of Elliott failing spectacularly.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I think it is a little of both. Sig is a control freak but he brought up a good point with the prep work. Edgar had no idea about the bags which had quota and other information inside of them. If he wants to run the boat during red/blue season he has to check that information ahead of time, especially since quotas have been dropping.

Now should have Sig talked to him about that and showed him what needs to be done? Yes, but it appears as though there is an unwritten code that you need to stand up and grab the reigns rather than let everyone hand them to you.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The gist I got was that Edgar didn't bother asking any relevant prep questions because he felt Sig was just going to shoot him down anyway and just do all the prep himself because he already made up his mind. Sig has known for more than a year that Edgar wanted a shot at running a crab season so at the same time he should have realized "hey I always tell him no, so maybe if I am open to the idea now, I should tell him before the season starts that I would like him to run it, and let him go from there." It's almost like he wants Edgar to just TAKE control of the boat and just do things and not wait for him to give the ok. Edgar just wants his brother's blessing but Sig seems to view that as weakness. :smith:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I just don't see why Sig and Edgar can't alternate captainships like Jonathan and Andy do

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I just don't see why Sig and Edgar can't alternate captainships like Jonathan and Andy do

Did you see the Time Bandit special? Jonathan Sr. paid to build the boat for them, then took it back and waited for them to say "gently caress you, give us the boat or else" before he'd sell it to them.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

You get the impression that there is a weird subculture that you not only have to earn it through work but pry it out of the previous generations hands.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

evilwaldo posted:

You get the impression that there is a weird subculture that you not only have to earn it through work but pry it out of the previous generations hands.
True, but from the sounds of last night's Time Bandit special the Hillstrands' father was an incredible rear end in a top hat even by Bering Sea standards.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Tonight's River Monsters was one of the best ones in a while, in terms of huge fish battles and an awesomely bizarre storyline.

Basically Jeremy showed up in Nicaragua looking for giant river tarpon, and the locals tell him they're too dangerous so nobody fishes for them, except for "the white boy." Turns out there's some crazy white dude who's been camping out in the jungle for like ten years just chilling and catching enormous tarpon. He spends a couple days teaching Jeremy his insane method of fly fishing and there's a legit musical training montage before the actual fights start. It's fantastic.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Junior is the best liar.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Elliot's crew is as stupid as he is. Who ties the pots onto the loving launcher?

Edit: Wow, really? That was a dick move on Junior's part.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SteelAngel2000 posted:

In that talk/presentation special show they had before the season he seemed to dismiss the idea because of the lost income of not being captain half a year. Although I'm sure there is a way to split the money in a way to satisfy them both (the boat belongs to them completely I think). The whole show was of course pretty scripted (except maybe the part where Elliot accuses the producers of selective editing to make him look bad and getting him fired), but Keith telling him that they all have a replacement in the wings which he should consider too seemed a pretty solid advice, especially if you consider the fate of the Cornelia Marie after Phil died.

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 24, 2013

• Locked thread