Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Darkhold posted:

Had a change of heart about a link that was a big spoiler. If you want to know Google Ravel Puzzlewell it's referring to one of her quotes.

There is no room for "2" in the world of 1's and 0's.
Clearly Ravel never heard of fuzzy logic. With a billion years of advancement in computers, maybe we can find an artifact that is a computer than runs in dodecahedral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I thought it was a play on the trope of the common villain speech of "There's room for only one of us" :shobon:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Not so sure about this title.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mordaedil posted:

And I thought it was a reference to how this will be the second torment game as well as the second Kickstarter project InXile is working on at the same time as another (namely Wasteland 2).
This is what I assumed...

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Mordaedil posted:

Huh.

And I thought it was a reference to how this will be the second torment game as well as the second Kickstarter project InXile is working on at the same time as another (namely Wasteland 2).

I guess it can be interpreted three ways then.

Rule of Three :eng101:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Yes, that was a threeway reference to that quote, the second kickstarter from inXile (which in itself was the second sequel) and the sequel to Torment itself

Almost done with new OP, hopefully tonight if TVIV doesn't take too much of my time

vvvv that guy gets it! an intricate title for an intricate game

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 12, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

GhostBoy posted:

Clearly Ravel never heard of fuzzy logic. With a billion years of advancement in computers, maybe we can find an artifact that is a computer than runs in dodecahedral.
No one said Ravel obeys the rules of a world of 1's and 0's... She just said that such a world has no place for two...

(Three of course would be another matter.)

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Current paypal total is at 196k. Went up 70k in a week. Together with the 4.189 on Kickstarter we have 4.385k and 115k to go in 2 weeks and a half. Hopefully we can make it.

Edit April 16: At 205 now. Seriously slowing down.

stille fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 15, 2013

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

stille posted:

Current paypal total is at 196k. Went up 70k in a week. Together with the 4.189 on Kickstarter we have 4.385k and 115k to go in 2 weeks and a half. Hopefully we can make it.

Edit April 16: At 205 now. Seriously slowing down.

It will probably trend like the actual KS. Start fast, then slow to a crawl, and the finish off with a blast once April 30th is closer.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Makes sense. I worry, however, because this won't have the Kickstarter-style 48 hours left reminders, and will probably get far less news visibility than the end of the Kickstarter did. I got everything I wanted with the crafting Numenera, but 1) a lot of people were hoping for the stronghold so I really hope they get it and 2) I want inXile to get all the money.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

stille posted:

Makes sense. I worry, however, because this won't have the Kickstarter-style 48 hours left reminders, and will probably get far less news visibility than the end of the Kickstarter did. I got everything I wanted with the crafting Numenera, but 1) a lot of people were hoping for the stronghold so I really hope they get it and 2) I want inXile to get all the money.
I realize they were trying to do a nice thing for people like me who would be interested in a proper stronghold but personally I'd rather they had just dropped it. It feels like it's just a setup for being disappointed.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Darkhold posted:

I realize they were trying to do a nice thing for people like me who would be interested in a proper stronghold but personally I'd rather they had just dropped it. It feels like it's just a setup for being disappointed.

Maybe they can do it with 4.4? There is no specific reason the stronghold has to cost .5 million dollars except for it being a nice looking number

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

babypolis posted:

Maybe they can do it with 4.4? There is no specific reason the stronghold has to cost .5 million dollars except for it being a nice looking number
Or they can use that development time to make the entire game more polished. I would rather the game move towards perfection than get a gimmick stronghold for a character that is constantly moving between worlds/realities anyway.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

FRINGE posted:

Or they can use that development time to make the entire game more polished. I would rather the game move towards perfection than get a gimmick stronghold for a character that is constantly moving between worlds/realities anyway.
If the 'stronghold' was a pocket plane, airship, or contained in the character's own mind (which were the suggestions bandied about) I don't see how this would interfere with a constantly moving character.

Though yes if they don't have enough money to make it right and not impact the rest of the game I'd rather they not have it at all. Torment just isn't the type of RPG that a lack of stronghold would feel like something was missing from the game.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A game like Project Eternity or whatever that is more NWN-esque fits a stronghold much better, I think. Planescape Torment to me felt like a journey, and I never felt like "hey I need a place to stash all my loots"

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Gyshall posted:

A game like Project Eternity or whatever that is more NWN-esque fits a stronghold much better, I think. Planescape Torment to me felt like a journey, and I never felt like "hey I need a place to stash all my loots"
Thats where I am. I was very happy that P:E achieved the stronghold, but just didnt care about it for this project.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The stronghold for Divinity: Original Sin sounds pretty interesting as well. I like the whole 'organic changes' thing they're going for.

quote:

Created by imp historian Zixzax the Almost Wise; located on the Precipice of Ages - where time itself ends in endless black - you will find your homestead. It is a barren place; arid and forlorn, but beggars can't be choosers, and neither can a couple of Source Hunters down on their luck. In time, though, perhaps your Shelter Plane might turn into quite a cosy abode really: a place to put up your feet and relax by the fire, staring out unto the very edge of oblivion.

Yes, the Shelter Plane at the End of Time is a lonesome and empty place at first, but never you worry! Its appearance will change, though not as the result of a wholesale shopping spree. Instead, decisions you make during specific quests will change its initial shape and give your Shelter Plane a distinctly different atmosphere...

Makes me wonder what Project Eternity's stronghold is going to be like. I've actually forgotten everything they said about it back during the Kickstarter.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Agreed. I want strongholds in my Skyrim and the like, not in a narrative adventure. I have a feeling that if a stronghold is that important to you, especially in the traditional sense of one, this game may not be for you.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Agreed; a stronghold implies a base of operations and not an adventure where you're journeying through a lot of areas. As long as the game can be modded to have an infinite inventory I'm good ;)

A stronghold as a place in your mind would be amusing/hilarious, especially if you got headaches after accessing it and the like.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

People are getting way too narrow in their definition of stronghold. Think of the BG2 expansion. Your stronghold there was a private pocket dimension, accessible from anywhere. Admittedly there wasn't much to do there except get your imp butler to make awesome weapons for you, but it's easy to see where such a concept could be turned into a cool narrative device all on its own.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Schurik posted:

Agreed. I want strongholds in my Skyrim and the like, not in a narrative adventure. I have a feeling that if a stronghold is that important to you, especially in the traditional sense of one, this game may not be for you.

I don't know. A ship that moves with you, or a pocket demi plane, are thematically appropriate and serve some valid narrative roles. They're most useful when they allow you to communicate with a party of characters in a more relaxed setting than a battlefield, dungeon or dangerous path.

So if there is little to no real party interaction outside of comments on quests, like in Fallout: New Vegas where all potential party members were self-contained and ususally limited, it won't be too useful. If they interact with each other, or have deeper interaction with the player after plot events, it wouod definitely be useful.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 16, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Torment's stronghold should be some kind of trans-dimensional hub, a living vessel whose pulsing, writhing tentacles wend their way through the gaps between dream and reality, offering near-instantaneous travel to all corners of the world...but at what price?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I agree that there are thematically correct ways it could be done, but it just doesnt feel as important to me as it did for the "adventuring group" in P:E. Im sure that the team they have will do good with it if they decide to.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Zore posted:

I don't know. A ship that moves with you, or a pocket demi plane, are thematically appropriate and serve some valid narrative roles. They're most useful when they allow you to communicate with a party of characters in a more relaxed setting than a battlefield, dungeon or dangerous path.

So if there is little to no real party interaction outside of comments on quests, like in Fallout: New Vegas where all potential party members were self-contained and ususally limited, it won't be too useful. If they interact with each other, or have deeper interaction with the player after plot events, it wouod definitely be useful.

If you're talking about something like the camp in DA:Origins, I'd tend to agree. A place to gather your thought and interact with companions is something I'd actually like, it's just not what I have in mind when I think stronghold.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zurai posted:

your imp butler

CESPENAR IS GOOD SERVANT! :byodood:

That seriously sounded in my head the moment I read your quote - man that thing burrowed in deep.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I like the idea of a stronghold in the PC's mind. Pocket planes are old hat and for a plane hopper, having a set point with a return portal to anywhere in the worlds would suppress the idea of the journey from A to B.

Perhaps the stronghold could be an actual physical object the PC carries around in his pocket, or an idea that manifests itself in various forms (meaning the stronghold would be different in each plane). There's all kinds of ways to implement it in cool and unorthodox ways. Personally I'm a real fan of Psionicists and it would be cool to have a game that implements the class fully into a PC and builds itself around it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just finished replaying Planescape: Torment and there were stretches of the game that I would've appreciated a pocket plane or something just so I could rest or dump a bunch of my stuff.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

For people who care about getting that stronghold, the lastest update is that inXile needs just under $100,000 in 11 days.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Great Rumbler posted:

Torment's stronghold should be some kind of trans-dimensional hub, a living vessel whose pulsing, writhing tentacles wend their way through the gaps between dream and reality, offering near-instantaneous travel to all corners of the world...but at what price?

They have that already. It's called the Bloom.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I am happy they don't need to shoehorn some stupid stronghold in the story. It just makes little sense to me to have need for a "place to rest and stash loot". You can play Skyrim for that. Torment should be a narrative driven journey, not some kind of OCD loot/achievement dungeon crawl or whatever the Stronghold-likers have in mind.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Boner Slam posted:

not some kind of OCD loot/achievement dungeon crawl or whatever the Stronghold-likers have in mind.
:rolleyes: Yes that's what every 'stronghold-liker' has in mind. There's no way to have an airship/pocket dimension/piece of our own mind have a place in the story it has to be a Skyrim-esque household solely for loot storage and only shoehorned into the narrative instead of being an important aspect of it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, strongholds? Here's the worst possible implementation of that idea I can think of. Why would anyone want that???

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hakkesshu posted:

Man, strongholds? Here's the worst possible implementation of that idea I can think of. Why would anyone want that???

Eh, you go with what you know. I'd say some factor of the worst implementation tends to be the one most commonly implemented in games.

It's not wrong to have that expectation, although given how people seem to have their hopes and dreams caught up in the game it's weird that this becomes the fault-point for believability.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Drifter posted:

Eh, you go with what you know. I'd say some factor of the worst implementation tends to be the one most commonly implemented in games.

It's not wrong to have that expectation, although given how people seem to have their hopes and dreams caught up in the game it's weird that this becomes the fault-point for believability.
It's a pretty far jump to make from 'some people enjoy strongholds' to 'people who want strongholds want this game to be some kind of OCD loot collection game' though.

As if the people that think it could be a nice addition to the game want a completely different type of sequel to Torment because they're just too stupid to understand the narrative structure of the original instead of you know trusting the developers to put it in the game properly especially with such a high asking price.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
The name stronghold itself implies all kinds of stuff. If you promise a "stronghold" in the kickstarter I just think it sets the wrong precedent

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Boner Slam posted:

The name stronghold itself implies all kinds of stuff. If you promise a "stronghold" in the kickstarter I just think it sets the wrong precedent
For what exactly? Nobody that's for the idea of strongholds has mentioned any kind of Skyrim style player house that's just a glorified storage area. That seems to be exclusively the fear of the people against the idea.

The people that want it want a place that has a decent questline and an interesting dynamic place in the plot and personally I trust the developers enough that if they do put it in that they'll make it an organic part of the setting.

I've said this before but it's not something that will break my heart if its not in the game (like crafting I wish it had been missed and strongholds had been in) but it'd be neat to see what they'd come up with if they had the money.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Darkhold posted:

For what exactly? Nobody that's for the idea of strongholds has mentioned any kind of Skyrim style player house that's just a glorified storage area. That seems to be exclusively the fear of the people against the idea.

The people that want it want a place that has a decent questline and an interesting dynamic place in the plot and personally I trust the developers enough that if they do put it in that they'll make it an organic part of the setting.

I've said this before but it's not something that will break my heart if its not in the game (like crafting I wish it had been missed and strongholds had been in) but it'd be neat to see what they'd come up with if they had the money.

Thing is doesn't the same apply to strongholds that applies to your wish for crafting to have been missed? By that I mean making the presumption that crafting will be implemented in a way you personally find unappealing. You trust the devs to do something interesting with a stronghold if they get the funding for it, why not for the crafting? Personally I'd love to have both because it sounds like there's room for imaginative ways to do them.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Overminty posted:

Thing is doesn't the same apply to strongholds that applies to your wish for crafting to have been missed? By that I mean making the presumption that crafting will be implemented in a way you personally find unappealing. You trust the devs to do something interesting with a stronghold if they get the funding for it, why not for the crafting? Personally I'd love to have both because it sounds like there's room for imaginative ways to do them.
I prefer Strongholds over crafting. If I could trade the two I would. I don't begrudge a crafting system being in however which is how some people seem to feel about Strongholds.

I can see how my post was poorly worded sorry about that. I've enjoyed most crafting systems I've encountered and I'm glad for the people that like that over Strongholds got something they'll enjoy.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 20, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Darkhold posted:

I prefer Strongholds over crafting. If I could trade the two I would. I don't begrudge a crafting system being in however which is how some people seem to feel about Strongholds.

I can see how my post was poorly worded sorry about that. I've enjoyed most crafting systems I've encountered and I'm glad for the people that like that over Strongholds got something they'll enjoy.

Same here. I find crafting to be the most boring part of most RPGs. But I trust these dudes, and I'm sure they'll implement either an awesome version of a crafting minigame, or something that at least doesn't get in the way, and my experience won't be worse for having it. And I'd expect the same from a "stronghold". You can usually skip them anyway.

Crafting-likers :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

There's been a new Torment update over on their tumblr, talking a bit about character progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6wd4BBCxE

About the only thing it sounds like they've decided on is that you will be able to use XP to change your 'class'. That said, jack/nano/glaive seem to be the class analogues, foci don't really sound like they map to anything which is easy to draw analogy too. Specialities maybe?

• Locked thread