Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

TalonDemonKing posted:

^^ What weapon are you using? Back when I was lancing, just blocking alot would keep from taking too much damage from him.

Someone explain the Exhaust phial to me.

I'm looking at the Axe of Gaia (1334 Raw/Exhaust phial) and was wondering how effective it would be at exhausting/stunning monsters. Does it stun in sword mode? Does the exhaust work if you strike a non-head body part. How effective is exhaust, comparing to weapons like Paralyze?

Exhaust phials mean your attacks will make the monster tired (drooling and slow) much faster than they would normally. They won't stun the monster, that's knockout damage you're thinking of and is mainly applied by hammer and hunting horn.

Edit: Been told up down the page ignore all this!

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wyeth posted:

Chance per carve/break, so a 3% carve chance gem on a monster with 6 carves is 6 3% shots at the item.

By six carves do you mean six shots after a kill with the carving knife, or six potentially breakable parts (including the monster itself)?

I guess how the loot tables work is ultimately irrelevant if you're breaking everything that needs to be broken, but still vOv

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Sure, slime weapons are too strong, but please someone tell me if seeing a gigginox completely locked down and incapable of the immense amount of horseshit it's usually up to isn't just the best thing ever.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So slime sns/dual swords are basically the best non-ranged weapon?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
re:Tail Cuts

You do indeed need to deal all cutting damage in order to get the tail off. I made a video showing off how applying other damage does not help:
http://youtu.be/Aq2B_fndk3E

Bussamove posted:

Exhaust phials mean your attacks will make the monster tired (drooling and slow) much faster than they would normally. They won't stun the monster, that's knockout damage you're thinking of and is mainly applied by hammer and hunting horn.
Exhaust phials can actually deal KO damage if you hit the face in sword mode. The only issue is that KO applies like status does on melee weapons, so you aren't guaranteed KO damage. Furthermore, it's probably really mediocre KO damage and doesn't really help out that much.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
KO damage = Exhaust damage to the head.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Having played the first half of the game as a gunlance and then switching to slime dual swords recently I can say that my average kill time has gotten hilariously faster.

Most HR Village Quests take around 5-7 minutes or less. I killed nibblesnarf, volvidon, and sand barioth in about 12 minutes total.

EDIT: And that was before I got my HG Earplugs, Sharpness +1 set.

EDIT 2: Found another one of my times. The two High Rank Durambros took 14:30.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 17, 2013

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TalonDemonKing posted:

Maybe I'm thinking tail bones? It's something for the Axe of Gaia path.

I feel your pain on tailbones, because I just want to make the regular Deviljho wrestling belt which requires one. I thought it'd be good to have Torso Up on a belt, but Duramboros is an rear end in a top hat for having this rare of a drop.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Bugamol posted:

Having played the first half of the game as a gunlance and then switching to slime dual swords recently I can say that my average kill time has gotten hilariously faster.

Most HR Village Quests take around 5-7 minutes or less. I killed nibblesnarf, volvidon, and sand barioth in about 12 minutes total.

EDIT: And that was before I got my HG Earplugs, Sharpness +1 set.

EDIT 2: Found another one of my times. The two High Rank Durambros took 14:30.

What armour are you using?
I finally managed to make my first slime weapon, the slime dual blades, and am looking for a good combination of skills to use.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Nahxela posted:

re:Tail Cuts

You do indeed need to deal all cutting damage in order to get the tail off. I made a video showing off how applying other damage does not help:
http://youtu.be/Aq2B_fndk3E

That's pretty conclusive, thanks!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

My little bro bought a 3DS today, and this is one of the games he got. He actually came over to play it before he had even taken the 3DS out of the box. I gave him some potions and proceeded to toss his rear end into the ring with Qurupeco. He tried some weapons out and learned the basics of how to play, with most of my advice being "don't get killed by the big-rear end pterosaur". He did well for literately just staring the game three minutes beforehand, up until the fourth go around when Peco called in a Rathian and my little bro freaked the hell out and got his rear end kicked all over the place. I couldn't help because I was laughing too hard.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Mailer posted:

It was an irc comment about a group doing a g-rank giggi. Two slime DS users (though only one of us had sharp+1. Just saying, Ramen) and a slime gunlance pretty much stunlocked giggi. At one point he tried to jump to the roof but got caught with an explosion hit on the way up and did the legs flailing animation before falling back down. He spent the entire less-than-a-minute fight either flinching or on his back.

It was why_slime_is_dumb.avi.

Yup.

I like the idea of slime but it's way, way too good. Doesn't help that the Brachydios weapons are all more or less on par with the best stuff for their tier, too. You're not only getting the best status effect in the game, you're getting an extremely good weapon to use it with.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man, Brachydios is the first time I've hit a wall in monster hunter in a long time. On the one hand it's nice to have a real challenge again. On the other, he feels like a kind of bullshit gear check then anything else. His abilities don't seem that difficult to dodge or see coming, but one slip up and I just take a shitton of damage. Any general tips? I'm using gunlance primarily. I plan on trying him with Bow since being close to him kinda sucks.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

gently caress this game sometimes. Now the qurupeco's only ever summoning a rathian every time and I haven't even unlocked it for a proper quest, and I learned the hard way that you don't get the breaks just catching them in Moga village free hunt.

edit: incorrect fake spelling :(

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

5er posted:

gently caress this game sometimes. Now the qurupeco's only ever summoning a rathios every time and I haven't even unlocked it for a proper quest, and I learned the hard way that you don't get the breaks just catching them in Moga village free hunt.

That's how my buddy was introduced to Rathian, and was promptly one-shot by a fireball :toot: Welcome to Monster Hunter!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Who wants to watch a silly Frontier video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCu0XMEYdt4

A gag quest, where the producer of Frontier guest stars.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nahxela posted:

Who wants to watch a silly Frontier video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCu0XMEYdt4

A gag quest, where the producer of Frontier guest stars.

Monster Hunter is the best series

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 17, 2013

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Can HR6 people join HR7 fights posted by others?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

CubsWoo posted:

Can HR6 people join HR7 fights posted by others?

Yes. Some HR8+ fights require HR8+, but anything from HR7 is open to HR6.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

CodfishCartographer posted:

Man, Brachydios is the first time I've hit a wall in monster hunter in a long time. On the one hand it's nice to have a real challenge again. On the other, he feels like a kind of bullshit gear check then anything else. His abilities don't seem that difficult to dodge or see coming, but one slip up and I just take a shitton of damage. Any general tips? I'm using gunlance primarily. I plan on trying him with Bow since being close to him kinda sucks.

Do you have the anti-septic skill?
It prevents you from being slimed, which makes staying alive much easier.
I would however recommend running away when he is enraged; it's easy to get killed, even from full health, if you get knocked over and he follows up with his exploding downwards smash.
That attack's explosion occurs somewhat in front of his fist, so it can hit you even if you block his punch.

I can't help with the gunlance but, since he is weakest to water, I successfully killed him with the Ceadeus bow called Ala Victoria.
Just keep moving and pelting him with arrows; also consider leaving the zone to heal and maybe wait for you companions to respawn.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Okay, I know I'm new at this but does fighting underwater ever stop being annoying and awkward? I mean the Royal Ludroth was easy, but the Gobul really got on my nerves.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Okay, I know I'm new at this but does fighting underwater ever stop being annoying and awkward? I mean the Royal Ludroth was easy, but the Gobul really got on my nerves.

Not really, no. I'm told the lance is the least annoying weapon to use underwater, but I kinda prefer the hammer and gunlance. They're all a depth-perception-less pain in the arse though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I feel like the apex of underwater fighting was the first time I fought Ceadeus. After that, it was over. Everything underwater is just boring and I'm glad it's going to be gone from 4. Hopefully they'll nix Plesioth with it as well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ciaphas posted:

Not really, no. I'm told the lance is the least annoying weapon to use underwater, but I kinda prefer the hammer and gunlance. They're all a depth-perception-less pain in the arse though.

This is absolutely true, except I've found when playing on the 3DS with the 3D maxed out I'm a ton more accurate. Either way, gently caress fighting underwater.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Fungah! posted:

You're not only getting the best status effect in the game, you're getting an extremely good weapon to use it with.

You also lose five slots (unless you've got something like a Handi/Bomb talisman) with every set for Bombardier.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Potsticker posted:

Everything underwater is just boring and I'm glad it's going to be gone from 4. Hopefully they'll nix Plesioth with it as well.

This is why Portable 3rd was so great, no underwater and no Plesioth :unsmith:

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
gently caress Plesioth. He's really easy with guns though.

Can anyone point me toward one good blademaster and one gunner set for HR in MHFU? So much options opened up i have no idea what i should be aiming for.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Blueberry posted:

Can anyone point me toward one good blademaster and one gunner set for HR in MHFU? So much options opened up i have no idea what i should be aiming for.

One of the ludroths for bm, Volvi for gunner

Everything seems viable in HR if you upgrade the armor.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 17, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Mister Blueberry posted:

High rank Blue Yian Kut Ku armour is a pretty good blademaster armour until you can get to azure los and make his armour. I only ever made mix sets for gunning sets in MHFU so I can't advise on that one.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Ceanataur (sharp crab) S is incredible, you can get Sharpness+1, Razor Sharp, Attack up Large iirc

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
This Cean thing sounds pretty awesome, I need to farm it for my hammer anyway

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Again: gently caress the rear end in a top hat who thought Deviljho had to appear on literally every single quest in the god drat game once you hit HR/G.

Just got stomped and devoured and there was gently caress-all I could do. He and Jade Barroth are in the same tiny cave and there's no room to fight them. Dung bombs aren't making either of them move, and I was taken from full+50 health to dead and there was nothing that could get me out of it. Even got a health recovery dance in there and it wasn't enough. Threw a dung bomb, it did not work.

This is just tedious and it's making me want to stop playing entirely. It's the reason I haven't played much since hitting G-Rank. Why play when this poo poo happens in every quest? I don't feel like dealing with Jho 100% of the time. This is loving stupid. And neither of them will leave that tiny cave! I've been sitting here watching as I type. Barroth's still in there, which means Deviljho's still in there. There's no room to maneuver around both of them in there! And if dung bombs straight up aren't gonna work, what the hell am I supposed to do to win here?

E: I'm just sitting here watching the two painted targets. They're literally moving from room to room together. They aren't splitting up.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 17, 2013

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Bring some Drugged Meats. Deviljho is always hungry and loves to eat meat from the ground, and if you get him sleeping you can fight the other guy, preferably in a different area.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Bring some Drugged Meats. Deviljho is always hungry and loves to eat meat from the ground, and if you get him sleeping you can fight the other guy, preferably in a different area.

Holy poo poo, thank you. I was wondering how to deal with this rear end in a top hat.

If you drop drugged meat, will it always put him to sleep (even a 2nd and 3rd drugged me for, say, sleep bombing)? I love me some free hunt rewards.

E: Also I love hitting dudes with my switchaxe, putting them to sleep and bombing them. It cuts about 10 minutes out of every single hunt.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
No, it'll only work once. It does a shitton of sleep damage but their resistance increases. You could use a paralysis meat as well for a quick getaway. It's really not a magic solution because any hit to it whatsoever will wake him up but it's handy.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
The following is based on my MHFU knowledge:

Also, for those of you that might not know: The first hit from sleep does 3x the damage, so if you really want to ruin a jho's day, get a good greatsword, sleep the bastard, put barrels/ pitfall etc, then unleash a level 3 charge on his tail. It should lop right off and you should do a metric shload of his hp pool in one swing and make the fight take half as long.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
People keep mentioning putting traps under sleeping monsters then bombing them, but when I put a trap under a monster they go straight from sleeping to activating a trap.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Locke Dunnegan posted:

People keep mentioning putting traps under sleeping monsters then bombing them, but when I put a trap under a monster they go straight from sleeping to activating a trap.

The general idea would probably be to get them in the trap so they're easier to hit (and inflict the sleep status on) then create a merry little pile of bombs around the place you want to do damage to, then set them off somehow, in Wozbo's case via level 3 Greatsword swing. A paintbal or crag shot is probably a safer bet if you don't want to risk getting blown halfway across the map setting off the bombs.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
Monster Hunter thread, will this goddamn majestic horn ever drop or am I just not meant to have the full diablos set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The thing that makes it easy to put down bombs and a trap for Deviljho is when he wakes up, he takes a pretty big sidestep, so you set it a few steps away from him so that he doesn't activate it. Then you bomb him, and when he wakes up he takes that big sidestep and falls in your trap.

Deviljho's an rear end in a top hat but you definitely have some tools to lock him down for a few seconds at a time and wail on him.

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

Monster Hunter thread, will this goddamn majestic horn ever drop or am I just not meant to have the full diablos set?

Definitely not what you want to hear, but when I started grinding in G rank for the even rarer horn, I got like 20 majestics.

• Locked thread