Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Leal posted:

The bonuses is a generous amount of rift crystals, which in the original would let you buy things like the ability to change you and your pawn's appearance, completely pointless earrings, potions that changed your pawn's inclination (basically how your pawn acts), and various skin and hair dyes. You also get some DLC armor I think? And you also get infinite ferrystones, which lets you warp to the main city and any place you put ferry crystals at. A very, VERY nice bonus.

I guess it won't work if I have a demo save? Or well, that should work if you can play the demo and once you bought the game could continue from your demo save. I take it that I will otherwise have to purchase these bonuses as DLC if I don't have an original save file?

Also, isn't it possible to export save files on the PS3? Since then somebody could upload their save or something so that I would have something. But these bonuses, to they apply to all future characters you make too or something? Since then I will defiantly try and get my hands on a save. Or just get the original game for a week like suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I have been thinking of getting DD for a while. The main reason I haven't is the things that supposedly bring the game done, especially the hours and hours of wasted time travelling. I heard about this new expansion and that they were fixing that. Then I read online that it is only fixed for people who already played the game and are importing a character.

This seems incredibly stupid if it is true. If they are releasing this expansion with the full game attached, why wouldn't they just fix the problems in the original game?

I know I am confused. Can someone explain this to me? Thank you.

The answer to the travel thing is "uhhhhh maybe?" Originally you could only use the fast travel items to return to the central city or to one of a handful of waypoints that you've placed yourself. They could be anywhere you wanted and you could relocate them freely but they were very rare for most of the game. In the Dark Arisen demo they've added a new permanent waypoint that you can fast-travel to at what is the very south end of the map, which all by itself will cut out a lot of long walks. If they have any sense they should have also added permanent warp points at the other extreme ends of the map, but we won't know whether or not they've actually done so until Tuesday.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I have the original DD and a save from it. Will I get the bonus in Dark Arisen even if I start a new game? Or do I have to use the save I had to get the rewards?

EDIT: Also does anyone know if any enemy/class rebalancing has been done? Would be nice if you couldn't run into a bandit that can 2-shot you a hour into the game.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 17, 2013

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I think you just need A Dragon's Dogma save and you get the bonuses, as far as I know.

Been having fun in Hard mode with a low level pawn or two from the board. Hopefully in the next day or so the extraordinary amounts of XP I've been getting will translate to a lot of RCs. (Though I will say when I plowed into That Room in the Everfall-if you've been there, you know the one, on Hard, with low level pawns, I turned and walked out to spare them grisly death. I can pick up lowbie pawns fairly easily in most rooms if they fall over-not so much that one.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This has to be the most idiotic thing I've seen a game company do. They include the original game, but if you want to take advantage of the most important bonus, you have to have a save from the original release. This is just mind-numbingly stupid. I will wait for release, but at this point I won't buy the game.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The bonuses are more of a consolatory thing, since they know that rebuying the game isn't exactly the most wonderful thing, they wanted to award people who got the original game with those benefits.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"The most important bonus" is meant specifically for people who played the game to begin with as an apology for dropping a $40 enhancement onto them. If they weren't offering anything like it I sure as poo poo wouldn't be spending that money on DA.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waltzing Along posted:

This has to be the most idiotic thing I've seen a game company do. They include the original game, but if you want to take advantage of the most important bonus, you have to have a save from the original release. This is just mind-numbingly stupid. I will wait for release, but at this point I won't buy the game.

You realize even though you won't have infinite crystals they're still much more common in Dark Arisen?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RatHat posted:

You realize even though you won't have infinite crystals they're still much more common in Dark Arisen?

I have no clue. I do know I was kept away from the game because it is supposed to have hours and hours or just running around doing nothing. If they didn't fix this then meh. I'll wait for reviews. If the game is corrected, I will get it.

My understanding is the game is amazing except for the things that make it suck and if the suck were corrected it would be incredible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Does Dark Arisen not add any trophies/achievements nor have its own list at all?

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I do know I was kept away from the game because it is supposed to have hours and hours or just running around doing nothing.

To be honest this is blatantly untrue. There is a lot of neat hidden alcoves and treasure to find in the world if you explore which might add up to hours and hours of walking, but if you are the kind of person who actually goes looking for those things then I doubt exploring and finding hidden poo poo is a negative feature. If not, then you can just not go looking for those things.

People like to complain about going between Gran Soren and Cassardis but that walk only takes more than 10 minutes if you expressly go the long way and stop to fight every single monster you encounter.

Really the only way you could spend a lot of time doing absolutely nothing is if you avoid all of the combat/quests/exploration. Seeing as how those make up pretty much all of the game it seems like it would be hard to do.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The problem with travel in the original also wasn't a lack of ferrystones (Unless you didn't explore the city and find either of the merchants that sell them, I guess), but that you only have the Gran Soren portcrystal for most of the game. I seriously never ran out of ferrystones once I found Fournival.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

The travel stuff isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. There are plenty of enemies to kill, and multiple routes through just about every area. You can buy items to port you right back to the main city in the middle of the map. Random stuff can happen to you on your walks, sometimes it's peaceful, sometimes you'll get jumped, sometimes a chimera will show up and you'll end up in a showdown. There is a lot of traveling but it's almost never boring. A lot of the time I won't port back to Gran Soren even when I have a ferrystone; I'd take the long way so I can tussle with bandits with my crew and look at the pretty graphics.

The entire game is about the journey, not the destination.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Spaz Medicine posted:

The travel stuff isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. There are plenty of enemies to kill, and multiple routes through just about every area. You can buy items to port you right back to the main city in the middle of the map. Random stuff can happen to you on your walks, sometimes it's peaceful, sometimes you'll get jumped, sometimes a chimera will show up and you'll end up in a showdown. There is a lot of traveling but it's almost never boring. A lot of the time I won't port back to Gran Soren even when I have a ferrystone; I'd take the long way so I can tussle with bandits with my crew and look at the pretty graphics.

I like the way you explain this. Thank you. Okay, leaning back towards the game again. :P

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Spaz Medicine posted:

This is indeed a perfect way of putting it. I do the same thing-sometimes I'll ferrystone if I'm running shorter on RL time, but often? I'll just walk. You realize after putting I don't want to look how many hours into the game, I am still running into small spawn points and hidden nooks and crannies? It's awesome. I particularly love running around the first half on a sunny day, and seeing how you can spot a bunch of places you can actually get to(like when I started the game, I was quite intrigued by Bluemoon Tower out in the distance.)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Does Dark Arisen not add any trophies/achievements nor have its own list at all?

I'm pretty sure that Achievements are required for 360 and probably required on PS3 now as well. Since it's an actual new disc release with no DLC option I imagine it has its own 1000 points/platinum trophy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, trophies have been a requirement since.. just before Dead Space 1 came out, I think.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
If I play Dark Arisen with my Dragon's Dogma save file, do I only get the bonuses if I import/continue/load that save file, or can I get them too if I start over completely?

I left off pretty far into the original game and don't remember what to do (and I kinda want to replay from the very beginning anyway).

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Has there been word either way on a download option? I'd rather not have to order it from somewhere.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Crimson Harvest posted:

Has there been word either way on a download option? I'd rather not have to order it from somewhere.

The amazon.de description mentions that it'll also be on PSN. I'm sure that's about as reliable as Amazon descriptions usually are, but I hope it's true.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I'm so psyched for this it's not even funny, it comes out a week after my birthday.

I've got a bit of a dilemma though. I'm not sure if I should

- Tackle the postgame content with my current everfall save and start NG+ now.
- Wait til DA and then do that and go on to do the extra content.
- Start a new character in DD and have it primed to go over to DA (although I'd cloudsave my old character for sure, so many memories :allears: )

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sankis posted:

I'm pretty sure that Achievements are required for 360 and probably required on PS3 now as well. Since it's an actual new disc release with no DLC option I imagine it has its own 1000 points/platinum trophy.

Yeah but remember, Dragon's Dogma was changed to Dark Awakened in the achievement list. If you're on an xbox, go to your achievement list and go find Dragon's Dogma. It says DD: Dark Awakened now. So my guess is, no new stuff or they added some more stuff but the chances of it getting it's own list? Very low.

But one thing is pretty much for sure. It's just going to copy all the trophies/achievements Dragon's Dogma already had. Now if we see more trophies for the DLC on top of that....

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Played the demo. Was lots of fun. Shame I can't pick up a used copy of the game and get a save file. No refunds from Gamestop in Sweden apparently. A used copy of the game costs more than Dark Arisen brand new. Kind of strange.

Is it possible for one of you guys to upload a random save that I can put into my PS3 or something?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure the saves are copy protected.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I've asked this in the past but maybe someone knows now: For DA, if I start a new character will I get the bonuses still from the save file? Starting a new char erases your old save due to the one save system so I wonder.

Regardless I will start over again because as it stands my old Mystic Knight was pretty much game breakingly strong and I want to start fresh.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Sombrero: Emily's been holding up quite well flinging the poor pawn into the deep end against archydras and stuff. :D (For the record, when I grab folks' pawns, I usually keep them for a day or two and then release and re-hire. I know the RC's don't go through until then.) Was looking over the Goon list, not sure which pawns are still highly active or not, but I'll grab a few more lowbies soon before DA.

As for the save file, I think it's a case of *just* having an original Dragon's Dogma save file. It doesn't matter level or anything like that. I think in theory you could borrow the game from someone, start a game on your system, get the save and be at the start. I don't think you need a clear file, the last I have read.

Azaael fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 18, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Azaael posted:

Sombrero: Emily's been holding up quite well flinging the poor pawn into the deep end against archydras and stuff. :D

I told him something similar. I picked up Sombererolad's pawn when she was level 17, and we almost immediately got drawn into a battle with 2 ogres and a goblin horde. Somehow, the pawn survived. I decided to see how she would hold up against other stuff, so we went adventuring.

She survived several chimeras, a griffon, and a cockatrice. I let her go and picked her back up the next day. Since she had leveled some I took her to fight the drake, and she didn't go down once during that fight. Other little baby pawns stand around marveling at a tent or a tree, Emily stabs dragons in the face and doesn't even care.

E: I suppose that a single low-level support pawn has a lot higher survivability when the rest of the party is level 100+, but I still thought it was impressive.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Oh yeah, high level parties can help lowbie pawns a WHOLE lot.

Oh, I had to pick her up a few times during the Archydra-but he's nasty in that he has a full-room rush that just plows over anything in it's way. Any pawn under level like 40 just gets smeared. Pawns seem to be varied-I've taken some lowbies out who look at trees, others who ARE aggressive-but a bit too much so, and some nice and in the middle that they do well on fights but don't run right into the jaws of death. (In the case of some stuff, it just can't be helped-a good example is That drat Room. It's just death everywhere.)

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Azaael posted:

That drat Room

I must have gotten turned around the first time I found that room, because I thought it was the door back to the Everfall. I was level 50. Tears were shed. I didn't know it was the hardest battle in the entire loving game, I just thought I was way underleveled for post-game so I rushed into NG+.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Evil Canadian posted:

I've asked this in the past but maybe someone knows now: For DA, if I start a new character will I get the bonuses still from the save file? Starting a new char erases your old save due to the one save system so I wonder.

Regardless I will start over again because as it stands my old Mystic Knight was pretty much game breakingly strong and I want to start fresh.
Nobody knows 100% without testing but my most educated guess is that you will want to start the character in the original Dragon's Dogma and save at the first opportunity. Then load up Dark Arisen and import your save.

Dark Arisen is basically going to convert your save file over to its format when you do the transfer. If you start a new character in Dark Arisen, it will probably just be a fresh Dark Arisen character. In either case I doubt your original Dragon's Dogma save will ever actually get deleted.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rascyc posted:

Nobody knows 100% without testing but my most educated guess is that you will want to start the character in the original Dragon's Dogma and save at the first opportunity. Then load up Dark Arisen and import your save.

Dark Arisen is basically going to convert your save file over to its format when you do the transfer. If you start a new character in Dark Arisen, it will probably just be a fresh Dark Arisen character. In either case I doubt your original Dragon's Dogma save will ever actually get deleted.

On a related note, PSN preorders for Dark Arisen just went up, and I've got my DD disc sitting around, so if anybody would be interested in doing perhaps a DD passaround where we send the disc around for people to get a save, I'd be happy to help out with that.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Well today was interesting to say the least. I went to game and the guys working there were nice enough to let me buy a used copy and return it for a full refund (something which they no longer do) so I could get a save file from the original game. I returned it to them in ~30 minutes. Then I went to GameStop and pre-ordered Dark Arisen since it was cheaper there. :v:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

:confused: Do people not realize that DA contains DD? 20 bucks is a lot just for some rift crystals and an unlimited ferry stone.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

Azaael posted:

Sombrero: Emily's been holding up quite well flinging the poor pawn into the deep end against archydras and stuff. :D (For the record, when I grab folks' pawns, I usually keep them for a day or two and then release and re-hire. I know the RC's don't go through until then.)

That's awesome! I'm glad she's turning out so well, Ranger pawns I hired in my old save usually were pretty bad.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
So if I start a new game in Dragon's Dogma, will I be able to transfer that save to Dark Arisen with my place in the plot and my character's stats and everything all intact? Because I really want to play again, but if I have to start from the beginning with Dark Arisen anyways I might as well wait.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Changelog for Dark Arisen was posted today.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/04/18/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-change-log-within

quote:

Those who have been following along with Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen news know that it contains an entire island of new content, with lots of crazy new enemies and stuff. But what of the changes to the original game, which is also included in the package? They are indeed numerous, and you’ll find the most notable ones in the following change log! Please note that not all changes are listed, but certainly some juicy ones are. Now then!

Player

-Various attacks and skills for all weapons have been rebalanced for all weapons.

Enemies
-Made the Ur-Dragon corpse's collision boundary smaller so players can now pick up drop items more easily.

-Undead enemies will now come out of the ground with higher defense stats (super armor mode).

-When Saurians die after being knocked down, they will now use a special death animation for when they are on the ground.

-Goblin Shamans will appear in the Witchwood.

-Eliminators will appear on the Tainted Mountain.

-Pyre Saurians will appear on the Tainted Mountain.

-Golden Knights and Silver Knights will appear in the Everfall (before the destruction of Gran Soren).

-Gorecyclopes (condemned type) will appear in the Shadow Fort.

-Living Armor will appear in the Catacombs.

-Wyverns (strong type) will appear at Bluemoon Tower.

-Wyrms (strong type) will appear at the Watergod's Altar.

-Drakes (strong type) will appear in the Everfall after the destruction of Gran Soren.

Pawns
-Adjusted how often pawns will talk by spacing out less important lines; in effect, making them seem to talk less.

-Adjusted and balanced the equipment and skills of all of the high-level pawns that are available to a player when they're playing offline.

-Adjusted how much it costs to hire a pawn that is higher-leveled than yourself down to a more realistic scale.

-Added a Monthly ranking to the pawn's Top Ranked section.

NPCs
-You will not gain Affinity with Assalam simply by talking to him anymore.

Items & Equipment
-Adjusted how much Ferrystones cost and how much they sell for. (Purchase price: 20000 >5000 | Sell price: 3500>1250)

-Adjusted how much Premium Rings and Premium Earrings cost. (Purchase price: 1,500,000>150,000 Rift Crystals | Purchase price 3,000,000>300,000 Rift Crystals)

-Tweaked stat increases for weapon upgrades (increases weaker upgrades, decreases ones that were too strong). Tweaks affect 68 different weapons.

-Dramatically increased base stats for 12 weapons obtainable by defeating the Dragon. 

-Improved base stats for 10 Magick Bows

World
-A Portcrystal that allows players to return to Cassardis has been added just outside Cassardis's gate

-A character/warp point that allows players to travel between Bitterblack Isle and Cassardis has been added to Cassardis's pier.

-Added a removable Portcrystal to the following areas: The Gran Soren Everfall (before a certain plot point. . . .), The Shadow Fort, The Witchwood, Hillfigure Knoll.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

quote:

Pawns
-Adjusted how often pawns will talk by spacing out less important lines; in effect, making them seem to talk less.

Preorder cancelled, gently caress this game.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So those portcrystal additions will basically make travelling a non-issue once you get them, right?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

klapman posted:

Preorder cancelled, gently caress this game.

Don't forget the removal of Flying into Free :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

quote:

NPCs
-You will not gain Affinity with Assalam simply by talking to him anymore.

Is this just for him, or will I have to start periodically murdering the blacksmith?

• Locked thread