Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Amdro is the poo poo for killing fire ants and the chemical is ant-specific and pretty safe to mammals. I mean don't go using the blocks of it as chews or anything but the granules wouldn't be a problem if they were incidentally ingested.

Downside: it takes a week or more for the nest to die. Upside: the ants will retrieve the bait themselves so you don't even have to apply it directly to the nest and could hide it under something like an overturned bucket with some ant-sized holes in the edge if you want to be super-sure of no ingestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate
Ugh, PI, Ham just straight up tried to eat a possum. I took him out for his nightly pee and he jerked away from me, and latched onto a big possum that was just hanging out like 6 feet from our back door. :wtf: He immediately started shaking it like a maniac, and of course the possum was hissing. I was yelling 'leave it' like a psycho and woke up the neighbor, but his prey drive is so insane of course it did jack all. I finally just grabbed the base of Ham's tail and that gave me a split second to yank him (by the leash) back and away.

Now the possum is out there playing dead, but breathing. There's no blood to be seen, so hopefully it doesn't need to be put down. I checked Ham over, and he doesn't have a mark on him, which was my main worry. He's up to date on his rabies. Anything else I should worry about? That was nuts, and my adrenaline is pumping. I've just never had a dog quite so drivey toward small creatures. I don't know what his life was like before I rescued him- maybe he was a stray and just survived on helpless woodland animals.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The problem is, the nest isn't on my property. It's on the neighbors' and they won't let pest control do anything. Will diatomaceous earth do anything if I sprinkle it down? (goddamn that word)

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

Ugh, PI, Ham just straight up tried to eat a possum. I took him out for his nightly pee and he jerked away from me, and latched onto a big possum that was just hanging out like 6 feet from our back door. :wtf: He immediately started shaking it like a maniac, and of course the possum was hissing. I was yelling 'leave it' like a psycho and woke up the neighbor, but his prey drive is so insane of course it did jack all. I finally just grabbed the base of Ham's tail and that gave me a split second to yank him (by the leash) back and away.

Now the possum is out there playing dead, but breathing. There's no blood to be seen, so hopefully it doesn't need to be put down. I checked Ham over, and he doesn't have a mark on him, which was my main worry. He's up to date on his rabies. Anything else I should worry about? That was nuts, and my adrenaline is pumping. I've just never had a dog quite so drivey toward small creatures. I don't know what his life was like before I rescued him- maybe he was a stray and just survived on helpless woodland animals.

With the shaking there's a big potential for neck/back injuries even if you don't see blood. I guess don't be surprised if it dies.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Dr. Chaco posted:

With the shaking there's a big potential for neck/back injuries even if you don't see blood. I guess don't be surprised if it dies.

Good point. Well, I just went out and looked, and the possum has vanished, so hopefully it's OK...or will go die in the bushes somewhere. :smith:

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Artie has been clean through the night since a few days after we got him, until at the weekend my partner decided to fix him a water bowl up in his crate. I wasn't too keen on the idea but was told I was being cruel. 2 mornings ago he pissed a Niagra falls amount of liquid everywhere in his crate and it soaked right through his water durable bed. It also soaked into his undercarriage fur so I gave him
a bath. Now he's done it again at 2/3am in front of my partner as well so I'm allowed to stop water in the crate except on the hottest nights.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I'm pretty sure my mum's insistence on providing Lola with water in her crate contributed to how goddamn long it took to housetrain her.

Is Artie bigger than the cats yet?

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Artie's going to be bigger than me at this rate, and I'm a big girl... There were 4 days between these pictures being taken

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Artie is so ridiculously, over the top cute. Nothing you own will ever be free of white hair again. Do you rub your face in his side and go "BRRRRRRRRRRRRR"? Because I think that is what I would do for at least five minutes every day.

We had a couple up the road from us with a Samoyed. They'd take the dog on walks and every time I saw them the dog was prancing along going "I AM ON A WALK IT IS THE BEST THING EVER TODAY IS MY FAVOURITE DAY!" and doing big swishswishswishes with it's huge poofy tail.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My friend's old dog was having a blast at the park. It's hard to tell

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Zenithbliss posted:

Artie has been clean through the night since a few days after we got him, until at the weekend my partner decided to fix him a water bowl up in his crate. I wasn't too keen on the idea but was told I was being cruel. 2 mornings ago he pissed a Niagra falls amount of liquid everywhere in his crate and it soaked right through his water durable bed. It also soaked into his undercarriage fur so I gave him
a bath. Now he's done it again at 2/3am in front of my partner as well so I'm allowed to stop water in the crate except on the hottest nights.

See, he really is a cloud! :v:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Zenithbliss posted:

Artie's going to be bigger than me at this rate, and I'm a big girl... There were 4 days between these pictures being taken

Jeez. How old is he now?

And how many times a day do you have to bath him? :haw:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It's finally hitting me that tomorrow I take Shadow to stay with my mom while I go visit a friend in VT for a month, and then I'm moving back home to Arkansas to live with my sister and help her with rent, but her apartment doesn't allow dogs, so Shadow will still have to stay with mom for a while...

I'm going to miss my dog, you guys. :smith:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Skizzles posted:

It's finally hitting me that tomorrow I take Shadow to stay with my mom while I go visit a friend in VT for a month, and then I'm moving back home to Arkansas to live with my sister and help her with rent, but her apartment doesn't allow dogs, so Shadow will still have to stay with mom for a while...

I'm going to miss my dog, you guys. :smith:

Oh :( that sucks Skizzles. Shadow is such an awesome dog.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

So far Artie is shedding far less than I expected but he is only a puppy, and we have 7 cats at home right now of who 6 are long haired beasts.

Artie is 14 weeks old today :3: and only had two baths in that time. Weirdly once the mud dries it does brush out

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Zenithbliss posted:

Whoever told you its cruel is dumb. People do the same thing with children who are being potty trained, no water x hours before bedtime or during the night to prevent accidents. Next time someone says this again, remind them that basically all parents do it with their children during this stage of development.

My boyfriend's dog only gets water once a day, though she will get extra after walks and such. If she gets more, she pees in the crate during the day, drinks it to hide the evidence, and then has awful diarrhea from drinking pee. Its less cruel our way, really.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
First bagle litter of the year is on the ground :toot:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Do we get puppy pics???

I'm a terrible goony dog lady and I want this creepy as hell shirt kind of a lot

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
If I saw that shirt on a person walking towards me I would be unable to hold back the tears of laughter. I would also probably point.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Try and act surprised when I tell you I wore a lot of wolf shirts as a kid, tia

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

If I saw that shirt on a person walking towards me I would be unable to hold back the tears of laughter. I would also probably point.

I wanna get a dane one for balen.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love those horrible shirts and every similar design. Never seen one in real life, but I don't think I'd be able to stop myself laughing. Hard enough when there's someone with a wolf shirt, but those are just unfairly ridiculous.

Mind you, I used to wear some pretty terrible shirts as a kid myself.

And yeah, we wanna see bagel puppies. Please?

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Puppy pics will have to wait because I am broooke for the next month or so, unless PI wants to crowdsource my tickets to go visit my family :v:

Realtalk; we have another bitch due in about 4 weeks so I'll probably go over for the whelping and take pup pix while I'm there. Puppies don't get interesting until they hit 4 weeks anyway. Potatoes are dumb and boring and not even that cute :colbert:

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
You silly people and your dog agility. Cats are where it's at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbvqSCs-FoE

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

hhgtrillian posted:

Anything dogs can do sheep can do better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GybS_fZeaBg

This one is more agility but less cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NKK53dInzw

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

hhgtrillian posted:

That cat looks just like my childhood cat. :3:

I know some PI goon owns Emilio (aka Business Cat), and he's now immortalized on a shirt:

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/inspired-by-katamari-damacy

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

It's done. Jess is gone.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Oh Fraction, I'm so sorry.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

I'm so sorry Fraction :(

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof
I'm sorry Fraction, it's always a hard call to make. I hope you're okay.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
So sorry to hear that Fraction. :(

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Jess was a pain in the rear end to the end. She puked on the vet's table and then they couldn't find her veins.

Lola heard a noise and ran upstairs earlier. I think she was looking for Jess, but I don't think she's quite realised Jess isn't coming back. I'm not sure how to make anything easier for her? They sleep together and used to play together quite a lot.

The vet seemed to agree our decision was best for her. He said if it was his dog with this issue, he'd likely do the same thing. It's still hard. We should get her ashes next week.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fraction posted:

It's done. Jess is gone.

Awe poo poo Fraction. That really sucks :( Its a tough decision, but its the right one. Take Lola for lots of play and walks today, poor girl will need it.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

:sympathy: I'm so so sorry to hear about Jess, Fraction.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

:( sorry Fraction

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sorry to hear that, Fraction. :(

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I'm so so sorry :sympathy:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Losing a pet is never easy, I'm so sorry. :smith:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Thank you everyone. I keep bursting into tears, and bawled nearly the entire time I walked Lola. Anything and everything reminds me of her. I've had her nearly half of my life; I can't remember ever not having her. She's also the first pet I've lost that I've been attached to. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:smith: Poor Jess.

You may not be able to make it easier on Lola, but at least you guys have each other.

• Locked thread