Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

The funny thing is, the north korean authorities don't want you to see these pictures, either. It's pretty challenging to document the everyday lives of north korean citizens when you're more or less forbidden to. If you're a tourist, you will get a stern talking to if you start taking pictures of people going about their business- and tourists are usually quartered far away from the locals.

DPRK: The land of whispers (North Korea Travel Documentary) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oULO3i5Xra0

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Don't loving white knight police brutality you tit. There may be good coppers but one bad apple spoils the bunch and there are a shitload more bad apples than good in the ranks of the constables.

Woah buddy, did one of Iceland's 12 police officers beat you up, or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

This picture makes me sad. The IWW used to be a fairly influential organization in the American labor movement, and Wobblies or former Wobblies were involved in pretty much all of the major union victories of the early 20th century. They were the first major union to organize immigrant and minority workers and the first that I know of to support gender equality. But today it's tiny, seems to consist mostly of pudgy, upper-middle-class white male college students, and does basically nothing. The modern IWW celebrated a great and glorious victory for organizing a Jimmy Johns' sandwich shop. Not the entire chain - one shop. :smith:

amazing how people tend to jump to conclusions just because of how people look. Those people in the picture managed to organize not only the student body but also the workers and faculty. They are amazing people: http://iuonstrike.tumblr.com

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ughhhh posted:

amazing how people tend to jump to conclusions just because of how people look. Those people in the picture managed to organize not only the student body but also the workers and faculty. They are amazing people: http://iuonstrike.tumblr.com

It's not a goddamned strike. A strike is where you withdraw your labor to coerce concessions from management. This is nothing more than another useless protest, a way for people to feel good about having spoken out and made a statement without risking or changing anything. It's the most liberal goddamned thing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dusseldorf posted:

The light rail station you can see in the middle at the 110/105 interchange is super impressive. It feels like you're in a cathedral to the freeway god. It also has awful air quality.

The entire greater LA area has awful air quality. It's really bad where you sometimes can't even see the hills right next to the freeway due to the smog.
You don't really notice so much I guess when you're walking on the street or whatever, but driving down you can see a grey blanket of pollution hanging over the area.

e:

I also visited Yosemite and a large portion of the pollution from the San Joaquin Valley ends up there.
The pines are a good pollution-meter, they are affected by ozone and all around you can see the pines developing these yellow spots:

It's conceivable that the pines will go extinct if this continues on.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 16, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

AP won the Breaking News Photography Pulitzer Prize for their work on Syria (images here), and Javier Manzano won the Feature Photography award for this photo

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

People are horrible.

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/xKt4DSz.jpg

Unlearning
May 7, 2011

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Read the news ribbon at the bottom. I'm certainly not denying that the deaths in the Boston bombing are a tragedy, but it's worth noting that bombs killing an order of magnitude more people in Iraq have barely gotten a mention in the media.

Isn't this just something all countries do, though? Focus disproportionately on their own citizens?

I mean, the media should surely take a more critical eye on US foreign policy. But saying 'well even more people died in Iraq today :smug:' (which you didn't do but some are guilty of) just strikes me as the murder version of 'well, people in Africa are even poorer.'

Content (quite possibly from earlier in this thread, sorry if so):

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Men criticising street harassment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P4eVjwVd_U

Cahal posted:

Isn't this just something all countries do, though? Focus disproportionately on their own citizens?

I mean, the media should surely take a more critical eye on US foreign policy. But saying 'well even more people died in Iraq today ' (which you didn't do but some are guilty of) just strikes me as the murder version of 'well, people in Africa are even poorer.'

That's a fair point and I agree with it, but in this case it was an Australian news service, so the focussing on their citizens thing doesn't really hold. Admittedly, there was nothing in my post that really conveyed that, save for a tiny watermark which few people would recognise.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

http://i.imgur.com/TUFy4on.jpg

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

Woah buddy, did one of Iceland's 12 police officers beat you up, or something?
Nah, I was usually too late, only got gassed. My cousin the photographer though, he got pepper-sprayed and beaten plenty though.

(That's one of his. He has a fair few famous ones but ehh)

I mean, sure, they aren't literal fascists here anymore, even though several of their upper echolons were member of a literal fascist party back in the day, but then again my country doesn't have cops that shoot people dead and then get off scott free.

Pope Guilty posted:

It's not a goddamned strike. A strike is where you withdraw your labor to coerce concessions from management. This is nothing more than another useless protest, a way for people to feel good about having spoken out and made a statement without risking or changing anything. It's the most liberal goddamned thing.
The state of the rights struggle today is a sad thing at times. There's still some good work being done but getting a wide variety of people into it sometimes like pulling teeth.

Mo' me hatin' on fat people, which is part of my mansplainin' ways.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

AP won the Breaking News Photography Pulitzer Prize for their work on Syria (images here), and Javier Manzano won the Feature Photography award for this photo

I remember this from when it came out, great image, glad he won.

Muslim students at a vigil for the marathon victims.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This is a pernicious myth. The "What's the Matter With Kansas" narrative encourages classism among Democrats whose major constituencies include the poor and uneducated. It's true when you look into masters, doctorates and professional doctorates it starts skewing Democratic but that's a fairly small part of the population. Your average Tea Party rear end in a top hat isn't some poor deceived blue-collar schlub. He's an upper middle class ball of privilege and hatred. He has access to education and information that ultimately mean he ought to know better. He doesn't deserve excuses.

Of course as little as Democrats do for or even talk about the working class, it shouldn't come as any surprise blue-collars are almost completely invisible to their own party.

vvv Let's not pretend the Egghead vs. Rednecks narrative is something that was invented post-2008. Or that being "closer to true than before" is the same as being true.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 16, 2013

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This is a pernicious myth. The "What's the Matter With Kansas" narrative encourages classism among Democrats whose major constituencies include the poor and uneducated. It's true when you look into masters, doctorates and professional doctorates it starts skewing Democratic but that's a fairly small part of the population. Your average Tea Party rear end in a top hat isn't some poor deceived blue-collar schlub. He's an upper middle class ball of privilege and hatred. He has access to education and information that ultimately mean he ought to know better. He doesn't deserve excuses.

Of course as little as Democrats do for or even talk about the working class, it shouldn't come as any surprise blue-collars are almost completely invisible to their own party.

http://www.people-press.org/2012/08/23/a-closer-look-at-the-parties-in-2012/

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 16, 2013

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Anecdotally, I know guys making $9/hr. who complain about unions, one of whom is married with kids. It sure is something!

It always amazes me just how effective Social Security and Medicare have been at reducing poverty among the elderly.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, Latuff.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Psh, we all know who was really behind the bombing.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 18, 2014

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Thanks for this. gently caress street harassment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSXRdaipCk0

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

One of the Excel spreadsheets used in the 2010 Reinhart-Rogoff paper "Growth in a Time of Debt", which claimed a negative growth rate for countries with public debt over 90 percent of GDP. This paper is a highly cited statistic in the austerity debate and was one of the justifications for Paul Ryan's 'Path to Prosperity' budget.

You may noticed that the blue box indicating an Excel formula is missing some data. Well, it turns out that nobody was able to reproduce Reinhart-Rogoff until yesterday, when a group from UMass figured it out. They found a number of 'coding errors, selective exclusion of available data, and unconventional weighting of summary statistics' in the original paper, like this one where the formula averaging real GDP growth misses the last five rows, leaving out Belgium's 2.6% growth.

Once all these errors are corrected, the growth rate for countries with debt over 90% of GDP goes from -0.9% to 2.2%.

As one commenter put it:

quote:

This error is needed to get the results they published, and it would go a long way to explaining why it has been impossible for others to replicate these results. If this error turns out to be an actual mistake Reinhart-Rogoff made, well, all I can hope is that future historians note that one of the core empirical points providing the intellectual foundation for the global move to austerity in the early 2010s was based on someone accidentally not updating a row formula in Excel.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Advancing an ideology with a veneer of scientific objectivity? I never! :monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0y0r3I0kAI

Kurash
May 12, 2008

This upsets me so much. It's a fictional movie, these aren't real people, and the lines and actions they performed were written and staged; and none of this has anything to do and will never have anything to do with what actually happened in Boston! I wouldn't be so upset if I hadn't seen this inane image posted everywhere else, places where cognitive dissonance is much more common. Not here! This image is stupid and so are you!

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!

STiL. posted:

This upsets me so much. It's a fictional movie, these aren't real people, and the lines and actions they performed were written and staged; and none of this has anything to do and will never have anything to do with what actually happened in Boston! I wouldn't be so upset if I hadn't seen this inane image posted everywhere else, places where cognitive dissonance is much more common. Not here! This image is stupid and so are you!
Woah, chill. Just because someone posts something here doesn't mean they unironically approve of it.

Pottsdam fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 16, 2013

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006

STiL. posted:

You caught me, I totally agree with that image, just like this one:

:thumbsup:

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 18, 2014

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
http://discourseontheotter.tumblr.com/

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 17, 2013

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LORVfnFtcH0

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dGPo9XBIPA
The Great Dictator

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 17, 2013

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Lets have a look at some idiots who love thatcher.

Two shits in 1 photo!

Gordon looks pissed. So would I for turning up.

Sarah Ferguson going crazy.

:stalker:

A fascist supporting a fascist.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2013/apr/16/margaret-thatcher-funeral-10-million
Margaret Thatcher's funeral will cost around £10m, although we won't know the exact figure - and how much of it is being spent by the state - until afterwards. What else can £10m pay for? Here are some ideas …

• 322 nurses
  • 272 secondary school teachers
  • 320 fire officers
  • 269 paramedics
  • Four months' worth of the state's contribution to the Monarchy
  • 7,042 households' electricity and gas bills
  • 25,773 households' annual water bills
  • 44 libraries
  • 177,777 jobseekers' allowance claimants
  • 1,199 students' annual tuition fees
  • 10 days of arts spending
  • Two years of UK foreign aid to Iraq
  • Two and a half Leveson Inquiries
  • Two weeks of the BBC World Service
  • Two years of the Wales Office
  • 152 MPs' basic salaries
  • 16,949,152 pints of milk - enough to give everyone in London two pints each
  • 60% of a Trident missile
  • 49 days of British forces in the Falklands
  • Flights for everyone in the Falklands to the UK and back and a trip up the Shard each. Three times over
  • 400 black Asprey 'Margaret Thatcher' handbags
  • 6,079 duck houses for MPs claiming on expenses
  • 11,111 public health funerals

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 17, 2013

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Wikipedia posted:

Internally, [then Information Minister P.K. van der Byl's] policy was enforced through Ministry control of TV and radio and through censorship of newspapers. From 31 December 1965, the Ministry of Information expanded its brief and was renamed the Ministry of Information, Immigration and Tourism, which meant that it was also responsible for deciding whether to grant or revoke permits to visit Rhodesia. Several foreign journalists were expelled: John Worrall, correspondent for The Guardian, went in January 1969. The Rhodesia Herald, then in opposition to both the Rhodesian Front and UDI, frequently appeared with large white spaces on its news pages where censored stories had been placed. Stories and editorials personally critical of van der Byl were immediately removed.
Censorship was tightened still further on 8 February 1966 when it was made illegal to indicate where material had been removed. The censor was also given the power to alter existing material or to move it around the newspaper. Dr Ahrn Palley, the lone white opposition MP, described the powers as "censorship gone mad", and insisted that there would no longer be any guarantee that anything published in the newspapers was authentic. Van der Byl responded by saying that the new measures were a reflection on the newspapers which had made such powers necessary.[27] In 1967 van der Byl was reported by Malcolm Smith, the former editor of the Herald, as remarking that a high degree of self-censorship was required, and support for the government was essential.[28]
The Herald (and the Bulawayo Chronicle) defied the restrictions, boldly printing blank spaces which identified removed material. Van der Byl personally visited the newspaper offices on the day the new regulations came in to warn the staff that if the paper was printed as proposed, they would "publish at your peril." However the papers continued to appear with identifiable censorship in defiance of the government, and in 1968 the regulations were scrapped.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fluo posted:

Two shits in 1 photo!

Love that Clarkson's daughter has that look of "for gently caress's sake dad why do you have to bring me to these things"

Twitter posted:

Many questions about why Im going to the Maggon's funeral. She was a massive Top Gear fan. Her favourite car was the Mercedes SLS.

Quite a pretty car, of course, and well-performing too. Still odd that she'd pick it, though, since being a German car it was of course made entirely by union members.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Chantilly Say posted:

Love that Clarkson's daughter has that look of "for gently caress's sake dad why do you have to bring me to these things"

Quite a pretty car, of course, and well-performing too. Still odd that she'd pick it, though, since being a German car it was of course made entirely by union members.

The HQ is in Germany, but they've got plants all the world over. Not sure how much really gets manufactured in Europe. Unless you're joking.

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 17, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fluo posted:

Lets have a look at some idiots who love thatcher.

Here are a few more.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

midnightclimax posted:

The HQ is in Germany, but they've got plants all the world over. Not sure how much really gets manufactured in Europe. Unless you're joking.

The SLS is manufactured near Stuttgart, so it's definitely union labor building that car. You're right that they have plants in... here, I'll check. Wiki says 23 other countries across five continents. The SUVs and crossovers that Americans love are made right at home in Tuscaloosa, AL, by non-union American workers.

(The AL factory)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

The SLS is manufactured in Germany and Mexico. If Maggie drove owned one it would have been made in Germany.

This is the Sindelfingen plant where the SLS is made:

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Chantilly Say posted:

You know who else was a massive fan of Top Gear?

THAT'S RIGHT!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHpzNbH9voY

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW4DXOAXF8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCDEiaoEP2U