Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They renewed it again? I thought its ratings were somewhere between low and awful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

goatface posted:

They renewed it again? I thought its ratings were somewhere between low and awful?

The ratings got a new haircut though...

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

WastedJoker posted:

Then let's write to the BBC suggesting they tweak the format?

Fine - I don't see why you're so irritated by the concept of it not being explicitly targeted at men though though.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Jonnty posted:

Fine - I don't see why you're so irritated by the concept of it not being explicitly targeted at men though though.

I'm just easily irritated, I think.

And possibly a sexist pig.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I tried the first episode of the man thing, the memory bit was interesting but it was a bit stupid having the 'babes' walking around in the background pretending to draw stuff on a chalkboard. Dont think i'll be going back for more.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 15, 2013

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
I hope Dara O'Briain's (All Gender) Science Club gets another season. It wholesale borrowed Top Gear's chatty humorous format, minus the twattery, and applied it to scientific topics to great effect. I don't know how it fared in the ratings, but it seemed to pull off the right mix to appeal to casual viewers tuning in and people with a strong interest in the subject.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I am almost finished watching Cracker and I have come here to demand that you limey bastards provide me with something of equal or greater value because I cannot go back to whatever crap it is I was watching before this masterpiece.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, Cracker is pretty optimal.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Cracker is undoubtedly the best ever TV crime drama. A show that was almost its equal was State of Play from the BBC. Apart from that, nothing comes close.

Although I have to say I lost some respect for "Red" Robbie Coltrane recently when I saw him in advert appearing on that awful Yes, Prime Minister show.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Corte posted:

I am almost finished watching Cracker and I have come here to demand that you limey bastards provide me with something of equal or greater value because I cannot go back to whatever crap it is I was watching before this masterpiece.

You could give Luther a try, it's not Cracker but it's pretty good in its own right.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I've already watched both of those, you guys are really bumming me out. I only have two stories left and then what, THEN WHAT?!?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Corte posted:

I've already watched both of those, you guys are really bumming me out. I only have two stories left and then what, THEN WHAT?!?

Depends if you've worked your way through any Scandinavian drama.
The Swedish Wallander episodes are very good, although the first series is quite possibly the most depressing TV I've ever seen. There's one 'criminal mastermind' episode that is eye-rollingly stupid, but other than that it's all good.

Each episode is 90 minutes long, so they should last you a while.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Corte posted:

The Wire?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Corte posted:

I hear the US came up with this really cool adaptation of the Killing...

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Corte posted:

Have you seen Utopia? http://www.channel4.com/programmes/utopia/episode-guide/series-1

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thanks for trying mates, I'll give Wallander and Utopia a look, The Wire certainly is of the same caliber but I've watched it entirely through multiple times. Perhaps this is a sign for me to give up television altogether, I hear there's these things called books that have something to say...

Rarity posted:

I hear the US came up with this really cool adaptation of the Killing...

You are going to burn in a very special level of hell, even if I like your GoT OP.

Levin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 17, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

The only shows I'd recommend these days are

Justified
The Shield

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Corte posted:

Thanks for trying mates, I'll give Wallander and Utopia a look, The Wire certainly is of the same caliber but I've watched it entirely through multiple times. Perhaps this is a sign for me to give up television altogether, I hear there's these things called books that have something to say...

You are going to burn in a very special level of hell, even if I like your GoT OP.

You could try Breaking Bad, assuming you haven't watched it. I find it to be one of the pinnacles of television drama, alongside The Wire (although in a completely different way).

Most modern British TV makes me despair these days.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Corte posted:

You should also check out Top of the Lake, it's kinda like the Killing done by co-productions of BBC2, UKTV, and Sundance filmed in New Zealand with a NZ-Australian-American cast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_of_the_Lake

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Everyone should watch Spartacus - it's just finished, and it is/was FANTASTIC telly. Best action choreography ever, fantastically evil plotting and scheming, Gannicus's cock raging on, enormous men on fire beating centurions with a hammer that is also on fire, and it actually makes you care for all the characters too. Can't recommend it enough.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Stumiester posted:

Everyone should watch Spartacus - it's just finished, and it is/was FANTASTIC telly. Best action choreography ever, fantastically evil plotting and scheming, Gannicus's cock raging on, enormous men on fire beating centurions with a hammer that is also on fire, and it actually makes you care for all the characters too. Can't recommend it enough.

I couldn't make it past episode two, I thought it was awful.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

marktheando posted:

I couldn't make it past episode two, I thought it was awful.

The first 3 or so episodes are, depending on your viewpoint, somewhere between mediocre and awful, and the second episode is probably the worst of the entire series. It really gets going when Spartacus enters the pit. In fact, I should have said - force yourself through the first few episodes (or maybe watch the prequel first if you don't mind spoiling the very predictable end of the first season) and you will be rewarded with some of the best tv ever, no exaggeration.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah stick with it, it picks up quickly. Watch Rome too, it's fantastic - in the same time period, but not really the same show as Spartacus.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
though most people regarded it as very silly I really liked The Shadow Line as a crime thriller. Just know going into it that it's more interested in big characters and having metaphor seeping out its ears than being realistic. Even if you hate all that it might be worth it simply for its loving perfect cold open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHDe8XZvz4

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

ScipioAfro posted:

though most people regarded it as very silly I really liked The Shadow Line as a crime thriller. Just know going into it that it's more interested in big characters and having metaphor seeping out its ears than being realistic. Even if you hate all that it might be worth it simply for its loving perfect cold open.

I haven't seen it since it aired, but the depiction of the wife with early onset Alzheimer's is making me choke up just thinking about it. I thought it was a great bit of tv, if you can forgive its sillier moments.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

ScipioAfro posted:

I just finished the second episode and so far it's pretty damned outstanding. I can honestly say that I've never seen a British show with cinematography that nice, and some of the characterization is just flawless. Again, only two episodes in but I'm loving it so far. I'm a bit upset to hear that it apparently gets silly :/

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I can't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's already silly by episode 2. It does have a disappointing finale
Speaking of silly things, is anyone watching yet another BBC4 nordic cop show (AKA Arndale)? In the first episode, viewpoint character is recruited to team of super-cops after defusing a hostage situation by sneaking in and shooting someone. Then a co-worker is crucified.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Speaking of silly things, is anyone watching yet another BBC4 nordic cop show (AKA Arndale)? In the first episode, viewpoint character is recruited to team of super-cops after defusing a hostage situation by sneaking in and shooting someone. Then a co-worker is crucified.

Do you mean Arne Dahl? It is very daft, not a patch on The Killing or The Bridge (please god, give us season 2 of The Bridge soon, I've been a good, patient girl...)

Been binging through Inspector Montalbano recently, to get my foreign-language detective fix. Italian instead of Nordic, and slightly more light-hearted, but it's pretty good. Gorgeous scenery, and the lead actor is marvellous.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Mr. Squishy posted:

I can't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's already silly by episode 2. It does have a disappointing finale

By episode two they've introduced some of the larger-than-life characters, but honestly so far there's no one I feel is as distracting and weird as, say, Brother Mouzone from the Wire (I loving hate that character). Even if they do get a bit more pulpy, it's not distracting because the directing and mood of the show is just unrelentingly dark and morose, and the characters still make sense in the world they're in.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Why the gently caress do I Sky+ Masterchef then watch it late at night? I inevitably start cataloguing what gourmet creations I can concoct and get TERRIBLE munchies.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Quanta posted:

Cracker is undoubtedly the best ever TV crime drama. A show that was almost its equal was State of Play from the BBC. Apart from that, nothing comes close.

Although I have to say I lost some respect for "Red" Robbie Coltrane recently when I saw him in advert appearing on that awful Yes, Prime Minister show.

I'll throw in a vote for State of Play. It's a few years old now but I only got round to watching it recently. Seeing it after the Levinson inquiry and the preceding revelations about the cosy newspaper/police/politician love triangle that's been a bad secret for years gives it a new sense of relevance, but it's a drat good piece of TV even without that. It's worth it just for Bill Nighy on top form as the gives-no-fucks editor of a national newspaper. Also Kelly Macdonald in tight sweaters.

There's also a Hollywood movie adaptation with Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck, but I've yet to summon up the courage to watch it.

Calico Heart posted:

I just finished the second episode and so far it's pretty damned outstanding. I can honestly say that I've never seen a British show with cinematography that nice, and some of the characterization is just flawless. Again, only two episodes in but I'm loving it so far. I'm a bit upset to hear that it apparently gets silly :/

Utopia is the only recent British show I've noticed the cinematography on. It's rather nice too, borrowing a lot of stylistic techniques from US shows like Breaking Bad, even though it's a very different show. It's somewhat silly in places, but as dystopian near-future conspiracy drama goes, it's pretty compulsive.

Comfy Chairs fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 17, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
State of Play is pretty much the best drama the BBC has ever made and pretty much everyone who had a semi-important role has gone on to do (or was already doing) big things. These days a lineup of John Simm, David Morrissey, Kelly MacDonald, Bill Nighy, James McAvoy, Philip Glenister and Marc Warren would be considered a dream cast.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Comfy Chairs posted:

Utopia is the only recent British show I've noticed the cinematography on. It's rather nice too, borrowing a lot of stylistic techniques from US shows like Breaking Bad [snip]
This is a perfect comparison. Those wide shots of the New Mexico desert in Breaking Bad, with all of the brilliant colours, are very much echoed in the wide perpendicular shots of "London" (aka Liverpool/Southport) in Utopia, it was perfectly shot.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

WastedJoker posted:

The only shows I'd recommend these days are

Justified
The Shield

The Shield is my favourite show of all time but I'd love to see a UK remake with Ross Kemp as Mackey

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Irisi posted:

(please god, give us season 2 of The Bridge soon, I've been a good, patient girl...)

There's a British/French verison of The Bridge (The Tunnel) being made, and FX are also doing a remake set on a US/Mexican border bridge..

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Did anyone here see Defiance and was it any good?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Taff posted:

The Shield is my favourite show of all time but I'd love to see a UK remake with Ross Kemp as Mackey

don't see how a lot of The Shield would work without guns tho

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

WastedJoker posted:

Did anyone here see Defiance and was it any good?

It is very middle of the road. I have a feeling that it'll get better because it had some serious pilot-TV show issues.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Calico Heart posted:

I think Inside Men was along a similar vein and quite good from what I remember. Then you could go back and watch Red Riding, The Long Good Friday, Get Carter and Gangster Number 1 for darker crime drama british stuff?

I really like The Shadow Line and the theme tune. Probably one of the better theme tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
Everyone I know seems to be talking up the whodunnit aspect of Broadchurch. I flew through the episodes thus far in a couple of days and after getting over the initial shock of David Tennant using a Scottish accent instead of that bloody Doctor Who accent I realised he's actually a really good actor. Whoops.