Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I just wanted to pop in and thank everyone who chimed in about the E-PM1 a couple pages back. I ended up buying one with a kit lens for $199. Since then, I picked up the Sigma 19mm f2.8 EX DN at a local camera store. I've been having a bit of fun with it. I think it'll serve me nicely on vacation -- especially after adding one of those Flipbac foregrips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OMG Ricoh come out swinging.

GRD5 seem to me is a more attractive option than X100s. I can actually carry it day in and day out.

Giving up OVF/EVF for a body I can slide in Jeans pocket is a fare trade to me.

Hopeful its close to the 800 rumored price.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

whatever7 posted:

OMG Ricoh come out swinging.

Details?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

http://petapixel.com/2013/04/15/ricoh-gr-digital-v-to-become-the-worlds-smallest-aps-c-sensor-camera/

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Definitely a nice alternative to the X100S based purely on the marketing video- but we'd need to see actual performance to determine how viable it is.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I wouldn't be shocked if the sensor is the same as in the coolpix A or one of the pentax 16mp cameras.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uggggh. My Industar-69 showed up in the mail after a month and it's completely unusable. The focusing mechanism is seized in place and the aperture markings are like literally on the wrong side of the lens.

Going to get my $40 back and go for the B&H $200 deal where you get the Sigma 19mm 2.8 and Sigma 30mm 2.8 instead. Supposedly top notch optics and they'll fit well on the NEX without sticking out TOO much.

Debating saving for the Sony 20mm pancake but I'm tired of being without a proper lens so gently caress it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Martytoof posted:

Uggggh. My Industar-69 showed up in the mail after a month and it's completely unusable. The focusing mechanism is seized in place and the aperture markings are like literally on the wrong side of the lens.

Going to get my $40 back and go for the B&H $200 deal where you get the Sigma 19mm 2.8 and Sigma 30mm 2.8 instead. Supposedly top notch optics and they'll fit well on the NEX without sticking out TOO much.

Debating saving for the Sony 20mm pancake but I'm tired of being without a proper lens so gently caress it.

Get a Takumar 35/3.5!

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Go ahead, the sigmas (at least the 30) are excellent. I wish I had waited longer for a deal like that to pop up.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Why on earth can't Ricoh and Nikon make a compact APS-C camera with a 25mm lens or something? Did they learn nothing from the success of the X100?

I have an old film Ricoh GR1s which has a 28mm f/2.8 and I've never found it to be terribly satisfying to use on a general basis compared to the 38mm lens on my Contax T2.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Yeah, I don't get it either. I would think a 35mm lens is easier to make, too.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
Some people really like the 28mm equivalent. Personally, I either prefer a 28mm or a 50mm equivalent. 35mm feels a little to in between to me.

Anyway, the 35mm market, between the X100s and the RX1 is pretty well represented. Ricoh has historically made 28mm compacts and in this instance is out to eat Nikon's lunch.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Competition is alot weaker in the 28mm niche. Nobody bother to mention DP1m.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

whatever7 posted:

Competition is alot weaker in the 28mm niche. Nobody bother to mention DP1m.

I'm sorely tempted to trade out my perfectly capable and nice X-E1 for a pair or trio of the Merrill compact cameras. The battery life is a real concern, but I've recently gained access to a large format printer and I'm coveting those nice small cameras that can print like a D800.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

moonduck posted:

I'm sorely tempted to trade out my perfectly capable and nice X-E1 for a pair or trio of the Merrill compact cameras. The battery life is a real concern, but I've recently gained access to a large format printer and I'm coveting those nice small cameras that can print like a D800.

As much as I like the idea of the foveon sensor, its low light performance isn't great (at least with narrow spectrum lights, apparently).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had a DP1. Killed it when I casually bumped the lens tube.

The X3 sensor has always produced green color thats a little bit off. I don't mind the exotic look if I use it as my second camera. But as my primary camera the weird green would annoy me a bit more. I don't like Sigma's lens coating on its lower end lens either but its more noticeable on the DP series. I think its the stacking sensor technology.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Supposedly Ricoh is also working on a redesigned K-01 with a shorter flange distance, and it sounds like they're finally taking a crack at a FF DSLR.

I really wish we'd see someone build a telecompressor right in to the camera like the Nikon E430 and the Agfa ActionCam. That would be a fairly cheap way to get a "FF" body without the expensive sensor.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I am already planning the lens I need to sell and lunch money I need stash away to get together 800 bux.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I currently have a Ricoh GR-D II and it's great (aside from the dated sensor). The interface is very customizable and you can assign a button for pretty much anything anybody cares about. Assuming this one hasn't changed much, I'll have to get one.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So Fuji have released an updated lens roadmap. No new lenses, but does confirm the ETAs.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Pablo Bluth posted:

So Fuji have released an updated lens roadmap. No new lenses, but does confirm the ETAs.

The 56 f/1.4 has turned into a f/1.2, that is new.

Also new X-Pro 1/ X-E1 firmware expected May 23rd.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

There was something i read saying focus speed was increasing significantly in the new firmware (maximum 0.7s from min to infinity). I'm also interested in seeing that zeiss 12mm but I cant imagine it'll be cheap.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

This just makes me angry at Sony.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Yessssss, the combo of the 12, 23 or 35 and 56 will basically cover all of my uses. Hopefully they release a 90 or 135 that's superfast and then I won't have to buy a lens ever again!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm less angry and more hopeful that they'll play some catchup.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Malcolm XML posted:

Yessssss, the combo of the 12, 23 or 35 and 56 will basically cover all of my uses. Hopefully they release a 90 or 135 that's superfast and then I won't have to buy a lens ever again!

Yeah, I could really go for a fast 90/135. I keep looking at the 14mm but then people tell me that the 35 is one of their favorite lenses ever, so I'm torn on my next purchase. Fuji really has a good lineup going.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I'm less angry and more hopeful that they'll play some catchup.

Sony kills that hope with each announcement of yet another slow superzoom so that's why people get angry.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

Yeah, I could really go for a fast 90/135.

Me too, buddy. I've been using an adapted Canon 100 f/2.8 L for fun to scratch that itch. Even though it's optically nothing special, the Canon 55-250 was my favorite lens because of the weight and images had a look that I liked. I'll have to throw the 55-250 on to see if I still like it before seriously considering the XF 55-200. I know it will be a nice lens, I just don't know if I am going to want to lug it around.

Helicity posted:

I keep looking at the 14mm but then people tell me that the 35 is one of their favorite lenses ever, so I'm torn on my next purchase. Fuji really has a good lineup going.

For what it might be worth, the 14 now lives on my X-Pro 1, the former home of the 35. The 35 is the "grab body and a lens and explore" champ. It is diminutive, weighs practically nothing and is fun to use. The XF 14 is heftier and barring the loose aperture ring, feels more serious and professional. The 35 is a marvel in how well it performs for its size, the 14 feels like it is a different class.

I have a Tokina 12-24 that has all sorts of problems - major CA, smeared corners until f/5.6 but it renders things in this clinical fashion that I like. I never liked the focal length all that much though but now I'm really digging the XF 14. Maybe because it doesn't show CA and all the distortions are optically corrected I like it more and have been having fun filling the frame with things.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hey at least they stop making shiny rear end silver soda cans.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Apple's Aperture finally supports the Xtrans sensor if you haven't moved on to other software already:

http://www.fujirumors.com/apple-aperture-now-supporting-x-trans/

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

ThisQuietReverie posted:

For what it might be worth, the 14 now lives on my X-Pro 1, the former home of the 35. The 35 is the "grab body and a lens and explore" champ. It is diminutive, weighs practically nothing and is fun to use. The XF 14 is heftier and barring the loose aperture ring, feels more serious and professional. The 35 is a marvel in how well it performs for its size, the 14 feels like it is a different class.

Interesting. Do you feel the quality of the images is better as well?
Don't you ever feel the need to go back to the 35mm sometimes?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Hey at least they stop making shiny rear end silver soda cans.

Literally the reason I haven't bought the 5N kit lens :stonk:

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

ChirreD posted:

Interesting. Do you feel the quality of the images is better as well?

I think that the 35 has nicer looking contrast. If sharp is your thing, the 14 is sharper than both the 35 and even the 60 although the 60 is better at being sharp from center to corner so it often feels the sharpest of the XF lenses.

ChirreD posted:

Don't you ever feel the need to go back to the 35mm sometimes?

Well sure, for the focal length and images made with the 35 have their own look that I like. It's great for "here is this thing I think is interesting, look at only it or this part of it" that I do a lot of. What I was saying earlier is that as long as I can physically move the camera close enough, the 14 now takes over that role because I know all the lines will be straight. I could also like it a little more because I've never owned a lens this wide that worked this well with regards to distortion and corner sharpness so it is pleasantly new to me. I'm not getting rid of the 35 or feel like it was wasted money as there are times when you can't get close enough to something.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

Literally the reason I haven't bought the 5N kit lens :stonk:

You can get the black kit lens.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Ugh my XE1 First world problems consist of 50mm 1.4 vs 50mm f2. I own both nikon lenses and cant decide which one to keep and which one to sell.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
I know it's been out for a while now, but I finally got a chance to use the 35mm f1.8 E-mount Sony put out and I was very happy with it. I did a lot of video at night, and the aperture + stabilization really made it all possible.

Now to come up with $450...

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I think that the 35 has nicer looking contrast. If sharp is your thing, the 14 is sharper than both the 35 and even the 60 although the 60 is better at being sharp from center to corner so it often feels the sharpest of the XF lenses.

Well sure, for the focal length and images made with the 35 have their own look that I like. It's great for "here is this thing I think is interesting, look at only it or this part of it" that I do a lot of. What I was saying earlier is that as long as I can physically move the camera close enough, the 14 now takes over that role because I know all the lines will be straight. I could also like it a little more because I've never owned a lens this wide that worked this well with regards to distortion and corner sharpness so it is pleasantly new to me. I'm not getting rid of the 35 or feel like it was wasted money as there are times when you can't get close enough to something.

Cheers, thanks for the clarification :) The 14mm is high on my list

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't even realize there was a black kit lens. Every single store I saw the 5N in had the silver pop can. I knew the 6 or 7 had a neat black kit lens though.

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
Wow, no love for the BlackMagic Pocket Cine at all here? I guess you guys don't do video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Random Task posted:

Wow, no love for the BlackMagic Pocket Cine at all here? I guess you guys don't do video.

Not exclusively, and the BlackMagic would be a terrible stills camera, but it's a very cool video camera for those who need it. I will be excited to see video produced from it to see if the dynamic range is as great as promised in the real world.