Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Tensei posted:

^^^ It depends on how much money you have to blow. If you have a level 60 main and are leveling an alt you can get away with +6ing the best golden weapon you can get every few levels. If it's your first character, though, you should save up your gold because you're gonna need it at 60.

Also, if you have a 60 you can work on those "go kill a boss in this dungeon 30+ times" achievements while trying to get drops and enchanting fodder for your lower level alts! :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Its really not that expensive to upgrade your gear to +6. You don't have to get +6 on armour but its recommended to get +6 on weapon so it can speed up your leveling speed. Try and get a new gold weapon every time it is possible to. You'll have so much money anyways. I don't give a single gold to my alts from my main and I'm able to farm up enough gold to buy gold weapons whenever possible from just questing with enough leftover for whatever else I may possibly need.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Leveling a Mystic and a Lancer and the game is pretty fun so far. Mystic leveling doesn't seem so bad but I'm only level 12. I'm from the EU though and there is a *massive* amount of QQ regarding nexus times.

Does this mean if I want to stick around and gear up for endgame pvp, I have to play on EU?

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
I play from the EU and I usually catch 6 Nexuses a week, which really is plenty with 4k credits per Nexus.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tensei posted:

It depends on how much money you have to blow.

I was very active during the Valentine quest which meant a lot of keys. :hist101: :love:

Keys meant a lot of gems. Gems means money. :eng101:

Money means awesome gear for me now. :science:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Or... money means awesome gear at 60 without having to grind dailies.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Tensei posted:

I play from the EU and I usually catch 6 Nexuses a week, which really is plenty with 4k credits per Nexus.

Oh yeah, I meant that I'm playing on NA (I live in Ireland). Just wondered if I should reroll on EU if its likely to be a problem.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Tensei plays on NA but is european. You can easily catch the early nexuses as a european.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So, I'm somewhat intrigued by this game and I'm going to give it a try. I did googling based on the reactions on playing the game on EU vs. USA due to some warnings on this thread, but I can't find any definite information if EU is really *that* bad. Bad customer service and higher cash shop prices, but will they actually ruin the game for me? For reference I live in a country with GMT+2/+3 so even European prime time can be pretty bad in some MMOs. Not to talk about the likelihood of playing with good 70 ms higher ping than people in West Europe and what-not - Almost considering trying some VPN service to play with a better ping. Is Tera Club/whatever a terrible thing to pay on? I prefer paying lump sums/monthly fees instead of being coaxed into paying exorbitant sums for "premium items".

I guess I'm not "getting" the game for wanting to play a priest in ~a visceral combat game~, which often seems to be mentioned to be the easiest class to play - Which I'm actually kind of bummed about. My dumb trinity healing itch is getting to me after GW2.

Also sweet jesus the game folder took like 80 gb of space on my SSD during installation. Not too enthusiastic about downloading the American client as well just to try things out... Oh well. At least I'm running on a 24 hour sliding quota instead of a monthly one like many of you poor Americans do.

On a plus side the company responsible for the EU side of the game seems to be based in Berlin and I have a trip coming up there. So at least I have a way of channeling my murderous intent if they're truly so terrible...

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Dessel posted:

So, I'm somewhat intrigued by this game and I'm going to give it a try. I did googling based on the reactions on playing the game on EU vs. USA due to some warnings on this thread, but I can't find any definite information if EU is really *that* bad. Bad customer service and higher cash shop prices, but will they actually ruin the game for me? For reference I live in a country with GMT+2/+3 so even European prime time can be pretty bad in some MMOs. Not to talk about the likelihood of playing with good 70 ms higher ping than people in West Europe and what-not - Almost considering trying some VPN service to play with a better ping. Is Tera Club/whatever a terrible thing to pay on? I prefer paying lump sums/monthly fees instead of being coaxed into paying exorbitant sums for "premium items".

I guess I'm not "getting" the game for wanting to play a priest in ~a visceral combat game~, which often seems to be mentioned to be the easiest class to play - Which I'm actually kind of bummed about. My dumb trinity healing itch is getting to me after GW2.

Also sweet jesus the game folder took like 80 gb of space on my SSD during installation. Not too enthusiastic about downloading the American client as well just to try things out... Oh well. At least I'm running on a 24 hour sliding quota instead of a monthly one like many of you poor Americans do.

On a plus side the company responsible for the EU side of the game seems to be based in Berlin and I have a trip coming up there. So at least I have a way of channeling my murderous intent if they're truly so terrible...
The priest gets a pretty wicked short range aoe chain but it's not nearly as satisfying as Slayer or Berserker for obvious reasons. I really like how they handled healing in this game. It feels like you're a lot more active than in most tab target MMOs. How easy it is really comes down to the positioning of yourself and the people in your party as well as having a good tank. Soloing as a Priest isn't awful or anything but I prefer to group up for dungeons or BAM farming as much as I possibly can. This is from a low level perspective, I don't know how it plays out at higher levels but I imagine it can't be much different.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Healing is quite fun but you have to remember healing is much different from other games in that you don't just stare at hp bars all day long and spam heals(I played priest on WoW for a bit and it was booooring.) A lot of times big attacks will outright kill someone in 1 hit so you're mostly only topping off small damage. Bosses also target the group/range with attacks so you'll have to be ready to dodge and avoid attacks. Healing is all about positioning. Its like 70% positioning and 30% actual healing. You'll want to buff your team with energy stars, debuff bosses with triple nemesis, giving mana to your team, etc. Mystics have other stuff to do as well.

You should definitely try out other classes if you feel priests aren't for you though. I usually play casters/healers in games and I really really taken a liking to Lancers.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Seconding Lancer, and I think part of why I like it so much is the solid job they did with sound effects. You get meaty feedback when you attack stuff and block attacks, it's a very satisfying experience. :black101:

antwann
Jan 21, 2005
If you want to heal, but are afraid of priest being too easy: roll mystic. It's not a huge difference, but you've got a bit more to manage with short in-combat buffs and mote dropping. Your dispel is on a shorter cd, but it's targeted instead of an aoe effect. Mystics are still highly desirable as well (though the incoming priest buffs should nullify that a bit).

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
I would love to do low lvl instances or questing with you if you start playing. Seems like most of the people I run into are just solos or already have a set group.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

So is pvp off a character option? Also is hunting higher level players even a possible thing? I leveled mostly in daoc servers by getting in a group and taking down players 10-25 levels above us.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

madpanda posted:

So is pvp off a character option? Also is hunting higher level players even a possible thing? I leveled mostly in daoc servers by getting in a group and taking down players 10-25 levels above us.

You could probably do it if you had enough stuns, but it would take a decent number of people and not just 1-2 with a gap like that. Anything higher than 12~ would probably just start two hitting everyone.

PVP isn't a character option in PVP servers, but when you outlaw anyone can attack you and you can attack anyone, meaning even with outlaw off you can get pked by people with outlaw on.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I'd like a PvP MMO with solid combat and while GW2 isn't horrid it's also just not that great. Is Tera what I'm looking for or is it just grindy pedo bait?

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

Wheeee posted:

I'd like a PvP MMO with solid combat and while GW2 isn't horrid it's also just not that great. Is Tera what I'm looking for or is it just grindy pedo bait?

I'll put it this way: pretty much every MMO I've played since Tera has made me want to go back to Tera because I always found the combat system lacking in comparison.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I went ahead and uploaded a successful MCHM run with some friends from Requiem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9J2HQ5y-kg
Not the best run, and the first couple minutes start out kind of slow. Could probably cut it down to 7-8 minutes with the same group easily.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Tera is a solid PVP MMO and if you disable global chat on your first login, the questionable content pretty much disappears. There's battlegrounds and team battles and stuff, as well as simple overworld PVP. It's really not all that grindy for the most part. The storyline and area quests you'll pick up as you progress through the various areas will pretty easily get you to level 60 by the time you hit those zones. There's also BAMs once you hit level 20 or so, and instanced dungeons, both which you'll usually want to tackle with a group, that net you the best gear at those levels. You can simply skip that kinda stuff though if you prefer to solo.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Soloing BAMs is also fun!

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

KaneTW posted:

Soloing BAMs is also fun!

If you are a class that can take a hit. Trying to solo on a sorc where everything is a one-shot is like pulling teeth.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Dessel posted:

The game will shrink to 30-40 once fully installed.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

ShadowMoo posted:

If you are a class that can take a hit. Trying to solo on a sorc where everything is a one-shot is like pulling teeth.
It's not exactly the same but I was soloing the BAMs in the Celestial Hills on my Priest last night. There were a couple close calls when I got lazy but mostly it just took forever. I imagine Sorc would be a little more tense since you can't really fix your fuckups.

What's the most annoying pvp duo involving a priest?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Dessel posted:

EU isn't actually that bad. I play on EU, and nothing has made me regret it. If EU works better for you time zone-wise, go for it.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

drat. I didn't expect much feedback - Thanks. Created my characters on Freya because I saw some replies earlier about the server and the fact it seems to be one of the two higher populated servers in Europe. Though I expect the goon presence there is kinda dead from reading this thread.

Some very initial impressions. The lack of VA is kinda off-putting now that I've gotten used to its frequency from GW2 and TOR, but it's not a big loss. Reading quest text is something I'm pretty much finally over with - I might skim them very fast but that's it. I take it the story isn't so amazing that I'll be losing something by not paying attention - This coming from someone who thought.. Wrath of the Lich King was still almost worth paying attention to during questing. Quests so far seem very traditional, but the flow isn't bad at all, doesn't feel like I'm stuck in one place killing the same mobs for long. I wish they had just aped the prologue entirely from the Death Knight starting area. That is, make it slightly longer, unlock abilities with quests in succession requiring the player to get to know to them by the quest objectives. The prologue is kind of neat way to get an idea how the class will play, but it's kind of overwhelming. It's just something I feel they could've capitalized on.

I didn't realize the Unreal Engine was capable of rendering as vast landscapes as the game is drawing. :stare: Hopefully the game performance will stay as good as it has been. That being said I felt that the portals are a clear way of reducing work of working on areas, but hey, FANTASY HYPERSPACE! :toot: The engine has kind of off-putting problem with objects appearing in clear sight not *that* far away, is this a limitation/feature of the engine that can't be fixed by fiddling around with the .ini files?

Priest has been fairly decent so far. I mean, sure, questing has been laid-back to level 13 so far, but it's not boring. I need to rush to 20 this night to get a shot at the first dungeons and to get an idea how healing works. I tried a warrior for around 10 levels and while it was definitely entertaining to fiddle with the abilities... reduce defense -> fill-in attack -> dodge -> that area attack as a combo/primary nuke -> fill-in, etc. I felt that I still want to get priest high enough to get a good feel how the class plays.

The global/area chat has been surprisingly devoid of any creepy stuff. But... Elin, Christ, who thought this would be a good idea? drat them to the deepest pits of hell.

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
Always wanted to try this game but never really had the money to buy it and pay for a monthly subscription. Ran through the prologue a couple of times with different characters, and while I know this probably isn't the best way to see what I want to play, I think I like the warrior the best. Especially since I probably won't have a whole lot of playtime, it seems nice to be able to tank/dps all in one character, anyways will apply to guild in game, ign Xobraix.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Dessel posted:

I didn't realize the Unreal Engine was capable of rendering as vast landscapes as the game is drawing. :stare: Hopefully the game performance will stay as good as it has been. That being said I felt that the portals are a clear way of reducing work of working on areas, but hey, FANTASY HYPERSPACE! :toot: The engine has kind of off-putting problem with objects appearing in clear sight not *that* far away, is this a limitation/feature of the engine that can't be fixed by fiddling around with the .ini files?

You can do some ini file fiddling, but there's also some in game ones under the video options tab, in the character quality header. Try maxing out your PC view distance, although sometimes it'll still take 5-10 seconds to load in the models.

Also, keep in mind this game makes use of channels, which are indicated at the top right of the screen, by the compass. It'll say like 'ch 1 - high' or something similiar. You can click on that and select different channels, with ones marked low being less populous and causing less strain on your machine. Usually a good idea to avoid ch 1 regardless so you aren't being ganked regularly.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
Can anyone give me a few tips on how to tank well as a Lancer in this game? I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around it. Granted, I've only tried it twice, but suffice to say it has not gone smoothly so far. I can't seem to time hits to keep resolve up without getting my face punched. Are there specific attacks that work well or is it just going to come down to getting better at seeing tells so I know when I can poke things with my stick? Now that I have Shield Counter I'm getting a little better about actually blocking things instead of soaking damage while leveling so maybe I just need to practice more, I was basically ignoring attacks while soloing because they didn't matter.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Mostly learning tells, although keep in mind you do have your little backward dash. And in general, you can use block to interrupt your attack animations, so don't feel like you have to complete an attack and then eat damage if you do mistime something. Some enemies are just a pain in the butt to learn though, like the Ovoliths.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Yakumo posted:

Can anyone give me a few tips on how to tank well as a Lancer in this game? I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around it. Granted, I've only tried it twice, but suffice to say it has not gone smoothly so far. I can't seem to time hits to keep resolve up without getting my face punched. Are there specific attacks that work well or is it just going to come down to getting better at seeing tells so I know when I can poke things with my stick? Now that I have Shield Counter I'm getting a little better about actually blocking things instead of soaking damage while leveling so maybe I just need to practice more, I was basically ignoring attacks while soloing because they didn't matter.

The best way to improve is to solo BAMs. You'll learn tells really quick for bosses. Remember to not hold your block down too long or your resolve will run out. Just block at the last possible second. Make sure you use your skills inbetween attacks (shield barrage + spring attack is on a very short cooldown and adds a lot of resolve. It should be your primary resolve generation.) Shield counter whenever it is up for extra threat/damage/resolve as well.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It beginssss

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh yeah, that's the stuff. They seem even more rabid this time around.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Well I just applied to DGKK as Zenes. Hopefully this will make the game more fun!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Don't like DGKK turning off PvP in Arcadia? Shoulda rolled on Lake of Tears or Valley of Titans!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
They be mad.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm just glad the Lina icon is back in business.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Never not turn off pvp in Lumbertown.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
I just redownloaded this game to start over (since before my computer would just have a seizure whenever I tried to run it and I wasn't going to pay monthly for something that I might not even get to play) and as soon as I log in all I hear is everyone bitching about DragonGodKnightKings. Literally as soon as I play the game, people are going nuts over goons being goons.

Never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Thinking about trying this game out, but I have two questions:

How are the heavy armor classes? The description of lancer and berserker both appeal to me, but I'm not sure how newbie-friendly they would be if they have slow attacks and clunky dodge rolls.

Second, how grindy is this game? Being a Korean Free-to-play MMO makes me leery, since massive, soul-crushing grinds seems to be the status quo for those.

• Locked thread