Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i thought marcelo's primary focus was always mma. why come he doesn't do it no more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I dunno if MMA has been Marcelo's primary focus, outside of a fairly short period of time, but I had the opportunity to ask Marcelo why he stopped doing MMA, and as I recall, it was a mixture of fights never materializing after first being brought to him, so he'd end up preparing for stuff that never happened, and not enjoying the MMA-specific training when he'd much rather just do jiu jitsu.

Between tournaments, mginaction and his NYC academy, I'm pretty sure he's making good money just doing BJJ.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 17, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

i thought marcelo's primary focus was always mma. why come he doesn't do it no more

When he initially got into BJJ he was interested in doing MMA, but at the academy he got into all he trained was jiujitsu, and then in 2003 he burst onto ADCC and became The Best Guy. After he got his NY academy to the point where he could spend time away from it he went down to ATT to train for an mma career, but after his first match DREAM basically told him "okay, we'll have a match for you next event" and then... didn't, four times in a row, and finally he just threw up his hands and went back up to NY to teach and keep winning grappling tournaments.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

When he initially got into BJJ he was interested in doing MMA, but at the academy he got into all he trained was jiujitsu, and then in 2003 he burst onto ADCC and became The Best Guy. After he got his NY academy to the point where he could spend time away from it he went down to ATT to train for an mma career, but after his first match DREAM basically told him "okay, we'll have a match for you next event" and then... didn't, four times in a row, and finally he just threw up his hands and went back up to NY to teach and keep winning grappling tournaments.

Someone that good at pure grappling should never do anything else.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Its so loving good.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
Just going off the gi discussion on the previous page. I've owned a lot of gis in my life and without a doubt, the two I go back to most often are the Fushida CompGS and the Atama Mundial 9. As far as light gis go, the Vulkan Pro Light (do not make the mistake of buying an Ultra Lite, they suck) has been my favourite light gi.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

How welcome/commonplace are hobbyists training at reputable bjj gyms? I'm only a few classes in on this program stint but I really enjoy it so far. Taking further classes would depend a lot on finances and scheduling, but would there be any place for someone who just wants to take a class or two a week with no real intent of competing at any point, or would they make up mean nicknames for me and whip me with towels?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Nah, they will probably just be happy to have another warm body to roll with. Your money is as good as the money from the guy who shows up every day of the week- probably better, since you lead to less wear and tear on the mats.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
If it's anything like here in Sweden hobbyists will be the gym's bread and butter. Being able to showcase high level competitors serve as marketing to get hobbyists like you to chose to take your business to their gym instead of a competing gym.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Bluedeanie posted:

How welcome/commonplace are hobbyists training at reputable bjj gyms? I'm only a few classes in on this program stint but I really enjoy it so far. Taking further classes would depend a lot on finances and scheduling, but would there be any place for someone who just wants to take a class or two a week with no real intent of competing at any point, or would they make up mean nicknames for me and whip me with towels?

There is (probably) not a bjj on earth that isn't like 90% hobbyist training. At most there might be a "competition class" for more serious people but even that is probably more you deciding to go and accepting a more hardcore time than being actively refused admission.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

You'll be fine, heck even if you got a *serious competition school* or whatever it'll still be primarily hobbyists. Heck my school sent about 80 students to the Pan Ams this year(which may well have been the most from any single school) and that's only a little more than 1/3 the number of students we have.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The worst that'll happen is you'll roll with some arsehole who likes dominating people and attempting to embarrass them. There's a couple at every gym but by and large no one will give a gently caress.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Bluedeanie posted:

Most gyms will have subdivisions, possibly to several levels. I've seen beginners class (for everybody), then advanced class (usually blue belt and north), then a "fight team" that has separate requirements to be in - usually physical fitness and hours of practice. You get to participate at your level.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
So I'm not sure what to think here, could I get some outside opinions? The BJJ school near my house is starting up Judo classes, and since I've been having to hit up the local MMA classes to get my throwing time in for the past few years (no Judo in my area), this is some really good news. However, the instructor is "a ripped 20 something brown belt and former Marine, hella crazy," according to the BJJ purple belt who runs this club.

Now that doesn't mean the same thing as it would in BJJ- BJJ guys tend to get to sit for years at purple and brown before they get black, but Judo guys tend to get all the way to black and then sit there forever before they're considered for promotion. There's even a saying in Judo that a black belt just means you're ready to start learning. In other words, this guy probably doesn't know Judo all that well yet. So I'm the same rank as him (because I postponed my promotion to black to keep competing at brown a bit longer and then suddenly had to move across the state), and I'm used to learning from 6+ stripe black belt Olympic gold medal winners, and I just worry that it's going to be weird and he's gonna teach a bunch of sloppy technique and try to fudge it with MARINE STRENGTH and I'll have to decide whether to correct him or just let it slide and we'll clash and it won't be fun and and and

So that's it. You guys got any thoughts for me?

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 23, 2013

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Grow out your neckbeard, don a fedora (this will look great with your gi) and correct him on everything he says. Earn the admiration of the dojo and the student becomes the master. Post in stdh thread.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CivilDisobedience posted:

So I'm not sure what to think here, could I get some outside opinions? The BJJ school near my house is starting up Judo classes, and since I've been having to hit up the local MMA classes to get my throwing time in for the past few years (no Judo in my area), this is some really good news. However, the instructor is "a ripped 20 something brown belt and former Marine, hella crazy," according to the BJJ purple belt who runs this club.

Now that doesn't mean the same thing as it would in BJJ- BJJ guys tend to get to sit for years at purple and brown before they get black, but Judo guys tend to get all the way to black and then sit there forever before they're considered for promotion. There's even a saying in Judo that a black belt just means you're ready to start learning. In other words, this guy probably doesn't know Judo all that well yet. So I'm the same rank as him (because I postponed my promotion to black to keep competing at brown a bit longer and then suddenly had to move across the state), and I'm used to learning from 6+ stripe black belt Olympic gold medal winners, and I just worry that it's going to be weird and he's gonna teach a bunch of sloppy technique and try to fudge it with MARINE STRENGTH and I'll have to decide whether to correct him or just let it slide and we'll clash and it won't be fun and and and

So that's it. You guys got any thoughts for me?

Watch and decide if it's worth training with this instructor or not. I don't know how it is in the US, but here people get to brown fairly quickly (between 3 and 5 years) and many sit there forever because they do not enjoy competitio nand you are forced to do well in a few competition to have the right to try for black. So many people sit at brown belt forever because they are not interested in competition/never bothered/whatever. Some brown are great and I'd be happy to learn from them, some (like me :() should certainly not teach.

But yeah, going from an olympian to a brown belt is probably not going to be the most amazing switch ever.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Anyone have any thoughts about the myao-kennan double dq at abu dhabi pro? I thought it was kinda warrented, with the complete unwillingness to take top position in an unending game of footsie which never went anywhere

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah that's exactly it- I personally wouldn't look for a teaching position without at least a bb and ideally also an instructor's cert, so I've gotta wonder about this guy. But I guess I'll just be thankful for the opportunity to train and try to be nice about if I see something worth correcting. Not much else I can do, really.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yeah that's exactly it- I personally wouldn't look for a teaching position without at least a bb and ideally also an instructor's cert, so I've gotta wonder about this guy. But I guess I'll just be thankful for the opportunity to train and try to be nice about if I see something worth correcting. Not much else I can do, really.

he might feel the same way but decided to go for it and start a class since there isn't an alternative in your area. He might be very happy to have someone of your skill at the school to help teach and give him someone to grow with as well.

Just giving a best case scenario.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I'd also compare it to what you're learning in MMA and decide where best to spend your time. Since you're the same rank, I would take it more as a training group and look more to who else is attending the class. If anything they're a bunch of bodies to throw around, pick up/share tips, and randori with.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Shamelesly X-posting from the MA thread

Judo competition trip report complete with ridiculous music added to the videos

So I drove 3 hours to go to some competition because it's fun and I need points if I'm to become a black belt eventually. Turns out I had to fight people quite a bit bigger than me. I was at 71 kg (156 pounds) and the other guys were between 76 and 78kg ( ~ 168 to 171 pounds). Ended up with bronze medal, think I would have been able to grab 2nd place if I hadn't hosed up in the first fight, but after all is said and done I'm quite happy with 3rd place. Next time will be better.

First fight :
I'm pretty happy with how it went. I made quite a few mistakes due to stress and over excitement (especially not stepping in with my right handed-left side seoi), but I like the way I fought on the ground. Got so close to getting my sweep and then so close to getting the armbar. What could I have done to prevent him from escaping the arm bar? Just pull him in tighter with my legs and squeeze my knees more? Lost to a yuko... Not sure he really holded me on the ground long enough for that to be yuko, but whatever.
Video : http://youtu.be/OJFGJNEF7UE

Second fight :
Won this one with a choke. Could have been better in the stand up part, but did what I needed to do on the ground.
Video : http://youtu.be/pFMEmtCNgg0

Third fight :
Victory, not much to say about this one. Could/should have won standing, but it was just there when we hit the ground.
Video : http://youtu.be/GSGARDTihBw

Fourth fight :
This video should be titled : I suck against uchi mata and the guy was twice as strong as me. Look how he just pulls me toward him before throwing the uchi mata haha.
Video : http://youtu.be/3DA20LnkNSc

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

KingColliwog posted:

Second fight :
Won this one with a choke. Could have been better in the stand up part, but did what I needed to do on the ground.
Video : http://youtu.be/pFMEmtCNgg0

man i don't understand judo at all but it does 'go with everything'

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dangersim posted:

Anyone have any thoughts about the myao-kennan double dq at abu dhabi pro? I thought it was kinda warrented, with the complete unwillingness to take top position in an unending game of footsie which never went anywhere

When I heard about it I was imagining them both in butterfly buttscooting after each other, but it looked like they were trying for ankle locks or something at least. I agree it's boring to watch but I was surprised by the dq.
That said it seems like virtually everyone on the Internet thinks it was a great call so I'm sure I'm missing something or just wrong. :smith:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I realized recently that the reason that my game doesn't really do what it should, and I think it's because my game is just a mass of moves that I enjoy doing, and doesn't really have much of a goal. I'm thinking that I should start focusing on back maintenance and back attacks, and then just focus on back takes from everywhere. As a sidenote, I spend a lot of time stuck on the bottom of closed guard, and I'm thinking maybe I should switch to half guard because it seems like a better path to the back most of the time.

If you were to scrap everything you knew about grappling and start again, and choose to build a certain *type* of game, what would you choose?

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 6, 2013

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I would spend three days living on Mark Schultz's front porch so he would have to let me become his disciple.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I realized recently that the reason that my game doesn't really do what it should, and I think it's because my game is just a mass of moves that I enjoy doing, and doesn't really have much of a goal. I'm thinking that I should start focusing on back maintenance and back attacks, and then just focus on back takes from everywhere. As a sidenote, I spend a lot of time stuck on the bottom of closed guard, and I'm thinking maybe I should switch to half guard because it seems like a better path to the back most of the time.

If you were to scrap everything you knew about grappling and start again, and choose to build a certain *type* of game, what would you choose?

Ryan Hall suggests: be on top.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I had a similar realization and it led me to focusing on:

pressure on the top

Getting on top

and Judo.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I would devote all my time and energy to standing throws/suplexes, take down defense, and getting back to my feet and just look like I was better than everyone else all the time.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I would move to Russia or some other ex soviet country and do freestyle wrestling 2 a days with combat sambo in between during lunchtime. Then after a couple years of that I would move to San Diego and take two to three jiu-jitsu classes a day at various gyms. I would call my style "dominant".

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I would continue to pull guard because sweeps are awesome as gently caress.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I rebuilt my ground game a while back, here's what I learned (the short version):
- Focusing on arm drags is a good way to fix a lot of the bad habits of closed guard addiction
- Being able to take back is nice, but being able to sink clean chokes is better
- The north/south choke, guillotine, and RNC compliment each other perfectly
- Jason Scully's Back Attacks vid is a great resource https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd0e1Z4kKl4

And I'm currently working on rebuilding my standup game around uchi matas, because they're super effective, stylish and versatile

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Stylish is where it's at. I've built my entire fight game except my grappling around shock and awe tactics. I need to rectify this.

Jimmy Pedro, I need a hero.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I would add that I was a guard man before and still use it all the time. So I guess I went to become more well rounded and able to act more aggressively in a match more than I changed styles wholesale.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I rebuilt my ground game a while back, here's what I learned (the short version):
- Focusing on arm drags is a good way to fix a lot of the bad habits of closed guard addiction
- Being able to take back is nice, but being able to sink clean chokes is better
- The north/south choke, guillotine, and RNC compliment each other perfectly
- Jason Scully's Back Attacks vid is a great resource https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd0e1Z4kKl4

And I'm currently working on rebuilding my standup game around uchi matas, because they're super effective, stylish and versatile

This is all very relevant to me, cheers.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Hey Mardragon. We had a wrestler from Maryland train with us this AM. I forgot his name but I think he is living in the NYC area and wrestling with NYAC.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Had my first tournament the other day. There was only one other guy in my bracket cause Im such a fatty, but I won 9 to 7 on points! I had a HUGE adrenaline dump though, so I was pretty dead afterwards in terms of cardio. It taught me that one, I need to work on my cardio, and two, I need to drill more standup because I sucked bad. I managed to get taken down, and mounted, till I escaped, passed his guard and mounted him so I racked up a bunch of points. Forgot any and all subs that I know how to do, just completely blanked out, so I just worked sweeps and position. He passed my guard into halfguard ontop, and I dove in and held on for dear life in bottom deep half and thats the the only thing that saved me in the last minute of the match was just holding on in deep half.

No-gi went as expected, got obliterated, but in the last minute I was in top half and I hit a sub that I've never even practiced in live rolling (I guess I just remembered it from either a youtube video or my book), and with 20sec to go I just couldnt finish it. It was the no-gi baseball choke thing (where you put your thumb into your other finger and try to ratchet it together). Couldnt finish it though.

So, I won a Gold and Silver medal, so I guess thats good? I got some questions:

1.) How the hell do I keep mount, once I have it? I am utterly useless at holding mount from someone who is active on the bottom
2.) I suck at bottom front headlock position/turtle. When I have a failed single and he sprawls on me, I just have no idea what to do other then to hopelessly hold on to his leg. Tips?
3.) How do I finish that no-gi baseball choke from top half anyways? Or is it supposed to be a knee on belly sub?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
probably you're mounting a little lower than you should; you can do that as you get a little better but especially at the beginning you should mount a little bit away from the hips. the most basic thing to just to make sure you're really stable. when somebody brings their hips up feel free to drop your feet underneath and use them to create more pressure. if they roll sideways out from there go against their movement and take the back.

i've never really had a great mount game, I mostly use it as an avenue to take the back, so I'm sure someone better at the position can give you better advice. anyway, it sounds like you did great! in the future, a thing that helped me early on was whenever I would panic I would literally count my breaths to keep conscious of them.

edit:
if it's the choke i'm thinking of it's all about the [counter]clockwise motion. you aren't going to be able to finish it by muscling it in

Gourd of Taste fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 13, 2013

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xguard86 posted:

I had a similar realization and it led me to focusing on:

pressure on the top

Getting on top

and Judo.

Pretty much entirely this. I'm decent at #1 and #3 and still really suck at #2, but I'm working on it.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

i realized that i had spent years rolling as a big gangly guy that tried idiot sweeps and weird chokes to compensate and started lifting weights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Kyle Dake just won his international debut against Hassan Tahmasebi of Iran. Both periods went to the tiebreaker. First period Dake lost the ball draw and had to defend. He reversed almost instantly with a great crotch lift to win the period. In the second Dake won the ball draw and as soon as the referee blew the whistle Dake high crotched and flipped Tahmasebi over his head for a 3 point takedown and the match.