Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Okasvi posted:

Is the board tapped out on Dungeon World Play By Post games? The two games I was in died couple of weeks ago due to GM real life stuff and there haven't been new recruitment posts in the recruitment megathread since.

If we're posting interest in a DW game, I'd like to join; but I've never done any DW before and still don't have a firm grasp of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just gonna say that I'm working a full-scale DW playbook now, called the Stolen. Keep an eye out for it :dance:

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Blasphemeral, I love your trip reports, your game sounds like a lot of fun!

Fay Fae update!

Changed the name because I just don't like how Fay looks on the page. I usually spell it "Fey" but apparently that means "Fated" as in "Fated to die"

Anyway, I've tentatively chosen the starting moves, and started writing out more advanced moves, including move upgrades. I'm getting close to the goal of 20 advanced moves, but some crappy ideas may need to be trimmed.

Currently the Fae doesn't really have any combatty/damage dealing spells, but that's mostly on purpose, since the Fae does terrible damage, and who needs to kill an orc when you can turn it into a bunny for 3 days, or a week, or a year!

Boons are doing a little more now, there's more ways to earn and spend them. You can even just straight up spend extra Boon on some advanced versions of moves to get extra results.

Right now, I'd love to hear some feedback about what people like, what they don't like, and what they want more of.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Blasphemeral, your trip reports are awesome. I am all kinds of excited to see someone playing the Warlock.

Inverse World Monday is gonna be Tuesday this week, since we were caught up with more important events on social media today.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

madadric posted:

Fay Fae update!

Could you make it so that I could choose less than what I rolled for wish so I could gently caress with someone?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

djw175 posted:

Could you make it so that I could choose less than what I rolled for wish so I could gently caress with someone?

Yes! The move should definitely work that way. I'll change it to "you may choose up to x"

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

madadric posted:

Yes! The move should definitely work that way. I'll change it to "you may choose up to x"

Um just some clarification here. Are you weak to all the things there and you only get boon for ones you choose or are you just weak to the ones you choose? The stolen child one move makes me think all Fae are weak to iron even if they don't choose it as a weakness.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mikan posted:

Blasphemeral, your trip reports are awesome. I am all kinds of excited to see someone playing the Warlock.

Inverse World Monday is gonna be Tuesday this week, since we were caught up with more important events on social media today.

OH YEAH-- that's one of yours, isn't it? I didn't know at the time we played, but I figured it out after the game.

His best bits are coming up. He does some really awesome set-up work in the elven city that tells me he's totally playing a long game. You'll see when I get time to do the next write-up (tomorrow, maybe?)

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.
Hey, did anyone order the Print + PDF bundle for Dungeon World from Indie Press Revolution? How long did it take to get your PDF?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

djw175 posted:

Um just some clarification here. Are you weak to all the things there and you only get boon for ones you choose or are you just weak to the ones you choose? The stolen child one move makes me think all Fae are weak to iron even if they don't choose it as a weakness.

Those moves were a bit of a mess so they've been changed fairly heavily.

OK, here's The Fae release candidate 1.0

Ask questions, and tell me what you guys think!

Man, I do not know how Adam and Sage fit all those moves ont their sheets at the text size they use I'm really having to cram this stuff into the playbook and strink overall font sizes.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

madadric posted:

Those moves were a bit of a mess so they've been changed fairly heavily.

OK, here's The Fae release candidate 1.0

Ask questions, and tell me what you guys think!

Man, I do not know how Adam and Sage fit all those moves ont their sheets at the text size they use I'm really having to cram this stuff into the playbook and strink overall font sizes.

Load is +STR.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
This game is fantastic. I just had a spontaneous lunchtime session over Skype, with a good friend of mine. She fought off a deadly sausage golem, and now the Crypt of Em-eir'il the Scrumptious beckons. We plan to continue later. I pulled every aspect of the fight out of my rear end, and all we needed was an online dice generator.

I cannot wait to continue. :D

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Alumnus Post posted:

This game is fantastic. I just had a spontaneous lunchtime session over Skype, with a good friend of mine. She fought off a deadly sausage golem, and now the Crypt of Em-eir'il the Scrumptious beckons. We plan to continue later. I pulled every aspect of the fight out of my rear end, and all we needed was an online dice generator.

I cannot wait to continue. :D

http://orokos.com/ is a good online die roller.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So I've just finished running the second session of what is turning out to be an incredibly fun Dungeon World campaign. Thus far I've run both sessions with literally zero prep and have got fantastic stories out of both, mostly by working with the players and having really awesome solutions and flavours to relatively generic situations. I'm going to have to start writing up fronts and grim portents and things because I think we've managed to uncover a plot by another adventurer to steal a wizard's artifact.

I have a fair few people playing fan-made classes and they're working out absolutely brilliantly. I can fully endorse the Gladiator as the player who's playing him is very much a 'kill all sons of bitches' type of player and the Gladiator seems purpose designed to be a maximum risk, maximum damage, minimum safety sort of class. He's been having a ton of fun mincing people with the Impaler and spending Arsenal left and right to go "nah, I kill that motherfucker, I've got some spare spring knives here somewhere". I need to buy the Dashing Hero as my player is close to levelling up and I need a full advance list. He had a great time doing ridiculous theatrics on his horse in a swamp and pulling people in and out of danger. I think his crowning moment was pulling the plate armoured Paladin into a tree, then backflipping back onto the horse he'd just jumped off just in time to see the Paladin fall into the water as the branch he was standing on broke under the weight. Also, can you hurry up and finish Inverse World? I've got someone playing a Lantern and they really want to see the rest of the advances. The Lantern was really awesome as a class. The girl who's playing it is normally quite defensive and passive and started out using her powers mostly to shield herself but then got more confident and started putting herself in danger to shield others and starting to laser bad guys instead. We decided early on that the Paladin also followed the Sun God the Lantern was patroned by, and I like to think she was following his example because he spent the entire time valiantly defending the rest of the party with his shield.

It was such a good feeling as a guy - who is a hardcore DnD player - left my house going "That system is loving awesome, I love it." and when someone else said "It's like DnD except you go 'right, I'm being hosed here, how do I get out of this?' rather than just rolling parry or whatever"

So yeah, a fantastic bunch of players, an awesome session, very little stress having to remember rules or look things up - I only occasionally had to glance at the Basic Rules, the equipment list or ask to see someone's sheet to see what one of their moves did - so no paging through massive rulebooks; and all without any prep on my part. Dungeon World is awesome

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Does anyone have some tips as a GM for when players constantly roll 7-9? I haven't GM'd a game for a looooong time, and I started running short of how to make combat a lot more interesting. Also, I suppose, how to make interesting encounters period - situations that are more than "Welp theres a goblin and hes rushing at you, what do you do?". We are all former D&D players who haven't played in a long time, so our first reactions are "Well I guess I attack them".

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
The reactions you get are going to be as good as the situation presented. Don't just throw some lame goblins at them or they'll just roll H&S until it dies. Maybe the cavern they walked into is actually the maw of a giant Mountain Turtle, and poo poo goes south when the thing decides to pick up and move while the party's inside. Pit them against pools of fire elementals that flicker every which way over a creaky wooden bridge. Just skip the formalities and pull that dragon you put at the end of the dungeon out now because fighting that thing is going to be way more fun than dealing with the goblin scouting parties. It's important to avoid throwing non-results at them or they'll get discouraged, but if you want to have an epic adventure you have to pit them against suitable adversary.

When you roll a 7-9, think "what they wanted happens, but at a cost". Maybe they dropped their bag full of treasure as they made the leap across the chasm and they have to either decide it's not worth it or dive after it. Maybe the broken scaffolding smashed the troll on the head real good, but he decided to pick up the wreckage as a big club. If you can't think of something cool, it might be because the situation isn't big enough. If you're just handling simple goblins and the like, coming up with cool consequences might be difficult. Up the pressure and consequences should come more naturally, given the much larger pool of choices available.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I also use the "Here comes a new challenge(r)!" type thing of "Okay, well you smash the goblin real good, he's dead. But his corpse sails through the air and lands on a large tile not far away. There's a loud clicking noise and darts start shooting out of the wall! What do you do?"

Sentrygun's suggestion of making the situation bug is the right one. Give an area a number of threats - creatures, environmental, traps, social.

Chasms with rickety wooden bridges and lava rivers not far below, and a Goblin horde on the other side firing arrows.
A troll smashing and lunging at them in a cave, but it's blows are causing rocks to fall, and the whole ground is shaking.
The princess' wedding ball, but there's an assassination plot, and all sorts of customs to abide - and someone knows your invitations were forged.
The witch has the answers you want, but she wants something from you that's going to compromise your beliefs. Also the witch-hunters are on your trail so you don't have a lot of time.
You're chasing the bandits along the crumbling mountain road, they're firing arrows back at you, but the horses pulling the wagon behind you are spooked. The wagon might go over the edge, or it might push you over!
The ritual is almost complete. you have to get past the demonic fishmen to the cultists, but pools of acid and whipping tentacles are boiling up from the earth.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Doodmons posted:

So I've just finished running the second session of what is turning out to be an incredibly fun Dungeon World campaign. Thus far I've run both sessions with literally zero prep and have got fantastic stories out of both, mostly by working with the players and having really awesome solutions and flavours to relatively generic situations. I'm going to have to start writing up fronts and grim portents and things because I think we've managed to uncover a plot by another adventurer to steal a wizard's artifact.

I have a fair few people playing fan-made classes and they're working out absolutely brilliantly. I can fully endorse the Gladiator as the player who's playing him is very much a 'kill all sons of bitches' type of player and the Gladiator seems purpose designed to be a maximum risk, maximum damage, minimum safety sort of class. He's been having a ton of fun mincing people with the Impaler and spending Arsenal left and right to go "nah, I kill that motherfucker, I've got some spare spring knives here somewhere". I need to buy the Dashing Hero as my player is close to levelling up and I need a full advance list. He had a great time doing ridiculous theatrics on his horse in a swamp and pulling people in and out of danger. I think his crowning moment was pulling the plate armoured Paladin into a tree, then backflipping back onto the horse he'd just jumped off just in time to see the Paladin fall into the water as the branch he was standing on broke under the weight. Also, can you hurry up and finish Inverse World? I've got someone playing a Lantern and they really want to see the rest of the advances. The Lantern was really awesome as a class. The girl who's playing it is normally quite defensive and passive and started out using her powers mostly to shield herself but then got more confident and started putting herself in danger to shield others and starting to laser bad guys instead. We decided early on that the Paladin also followed the Sun God the Lantern was patroned by, and I like to think she was following his example because he spent the entire time valiantly defending the rest of the party with his shield.

It was such a good feeling as a guy - who is a hardcore DnD player - left my house going "That system is loving awesome, I love it." and when someone else said "It's like DnD except you go 'right, I'm being hosed here, how do I get out of this?' rather than just rolling parry or whatever"

So yeah, a fantastic bunch of players, an awesome session, very little stress having to remember rules or look things up - I only occasionally had to glance at the Basic Rules, the equipment list or ask to see someone's sheet to see what one of their moves did - so no paging through massive rulebooks; and all without any prep on my part. Dungeon World is awesome

Aw man, I am super happy to hear that, especially about The Lantern and Dashing Hero! They have been a blast to write, and I am glad they have been playing well, too. Unfortunately, Inverse World will still be a bit with production things, BUT the playbooks are mostly done, and The Lantern specifically is entirely done. Since yesterday's Inverse World preview is super late for Reasons, and also I don't want to hold up your campaign with something as stupid as "production schedules," have a first look at The Lantern! All advances included.

Personal request: Please do not share this outside of this subforum for the moment.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

gnome7 posted:

Since yesterday's Inverse World preview is super late for Reasons

I'm the Reasons. It's gonna go up here in an hour or so, I'm just knee deep in book shipments and projects.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Sometimes I forget to sleep, and then things like this happen.

The Improved Fighter 2.0, now with all your Battle Instincts pains relieved. I think the new move, I'm Your Opponent, should go a loooong way towards fixing the (entirely valid) complaints that Battle Instincts was, to put it lightly, completely broken. I also fixed the typos that riddled the sheet, and changed up a few Advances again.

I also have been thinking I should really do an Improved Bard, because Arcane Art is a mess, and Bardic Knowledge is a whole lot of words for a move that doesn't do a lot. I can fix these things.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Problem with I'm Your Opponent: why would I choose to roll Defend when I can cancel out enemy attacks entirely with this (assuming Str primary and decent rolls, obv)?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Problem with I'm Your Opponent: why would I choose to roll Defend when I can cancel out enemy attacks entirely with this (assuming Str primary and decent rolls, obv)?

Because you can't use I'm Your Opponent against:

Enemies who are far away from you
Enemies who are focusing on you
Enemies who can attack a group that includes you in it
Things that are not enemies, like a pile of boulders rolling down a hill or a lightning bolt

The 10+ result is better than Defend's 10+, yes, but the 7-9 is identical to one of the least beneficial Defend hold options, and the 6- is probably worse than a normal Defend 6-. That, combined with the narrower scope of the move, makes it fairly distinct from Defend. The Fighter Fights, so the move only works when the fighter is fighting in a fight against a dude who doesn't want to fight him.

Anyway, more importantly, Improved Bard. I rewrote Arcane Art in a way a sane person might understand, and I replaced Bardic Lore. Old Bardic Lore: A move that sometimes lets you get free info about a specific topic that you had to pick during character creation. New Bardic Lore: Spout Lore all day erry day, come up with legends about everything you come across, and get mechanically rewarded for being an exposition machine by Truth to Power.

I changed the advances slightly, but for the most part everything it had was already really good. I changed some of the +maths moves into something more interesting, and made Metal Hurlant +CHA like every other musical move is, but generally everything on that end is the same as normal bard.

I would move on to write Improved Thief now but Lemon's City Thief has basically got it covered. You should put that somewhere I can link it in the content post, G+ is not a sane place to store things.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 17, 2013

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I'm going to show that Improved Bard to my Bard player and ask what she thinks. I like it, and I'm totally up for her using it if she prefers. I'd be interested to see this Improved Thief, I couldn't find it on the Dungeon World G+ group. I'm actually sorta disappointed that nobody is playing a Fighter. The Fighter's blurb description is the most :black101: of them all and especially with Improved Fighter 2.0 has access to some really awesome moves.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Myrmidongs posted:

Does anyone have some tips as a GM for when players constantly roll 7-9? I haven't GM'd a game for a looooong time, and I started running short of how to make combat a lot more interesting.
I find a simple rule helps me out, and you'll see it come to bear more and more as the run-through I've been posting in pieces comes to its' conclusion. That rule is this:

Feel free to destroy your environments. Don't even hesitate to do it, in fact.

Collateral damage is :krad:! Think of any action movie. Stuff breaks, falls down, blows up or explodes. Do that.

Embrace your inner action movie.

Myrmidongs posted:

Also, I suppose, how to make interesting encounters period - situations that are more than "Welp theres a goblin and hes rushing at you, what do you do?". We are all former D&D players who haven't played in a long time, so our first reactions are "Well I guess I attack them".
Instead, try describing how you attack them. Instead of "I swing my sword," it should be "At the last moment before he's upon me, I take to one knee dropping below his strike, and bring my sword to bear across his gut."

Picture it. The old grade-school adage applies: Show; don't tell.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This is going to sound incredibly egotistical, but if anybody ever does give my Warlord playbook a spin would you please let me know how it goes? I'm constantly on the verge of going all-in and gussying it up in pdf form and maybe even putting it up for sale, but I'd love some actual player feedback.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Aw man, I am super happy to hear that, especially about The Lantern and Dashing Hero! They have been a blast to write, and I am glad they have been playing well, too. Unfortunately, Inverse World will still be a bit with production things, BUT the playbooks are mostly done, and The Lantern specifically is entirely done. Since yesterday's Inverse World preview is super late for Reasons, and also I don't want to hold up your campaign with something as stupid as "production schedules," have a first look at The Lantern! All advances included.

Personal request: Please do not share this outside of this subforum for the moment.

Oh, wow! Thanks! Looks like I've got some stuff to show my Lantern player :D - some of those advances look loving awesome.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Heart Attacks posted:

Hey, did anyone order the Print + PDF bundle for Dungeon World from Indie Press Revolution? How long did it take to get your PDF?

I ordered mine Sunday (the 14th) and haven't gotten anything yet aside from a confirmation that the payment went through.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Improved-Improved Fighter is loving fantastic. I'm gonna print it up and recommend it to my guest-star player on Saturday.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

gnome7 posted:

The Improved Fighter 2.0, now with all your Battle Instincts pains relieved.

:toot:

This is a lot better, especially the requirement for melee combat. It's still nice and strong and lets the Fighter get up on someone to dunk their face in the toilet, but without the whole "entirely invincible" thing. Also glad you didn't write out the '1 or 2' on Signature Weapon. I don't know when I'll play a Fighter, but when I do I demand to have Spear Fists, or even better, Bow Fists with the new addition.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kai Tave posted:

This is going to sound incredibly egotistical, but if anybody ever does give my Warlord playbook a spin would you please let me know how it goes? I'm constantly on the verge of going all-in and gussying it up in pdf form and maybe even putting it up for sale, but I'd love some actual player feedback.

That doesn't sound egotistical at all, I'm having similar concerns.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kai Tave posted:

If anyone here's an egotist, it's probably this asshat who keeps rewriting the core classes like he knows better than the guys who made the game :v:

I think everyone here is interested in feedback, it definitely makes you feel better about the time and effort that went into making things.

On the topic of feedback: Shoutout to PublicOpinion for all his awesome monsters. The big detailed google docs you post on them are very high quality and I highly recommend any of them for an adventure. A single one of those ecologies is enough to run an entire session off of.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

sentrygun posted:

I don't know when I'll play a Fighter, but when I do I demand to have Spear Fists, or even better, Bow Fists with the new addition.

Or a Huge, Sharp, Inscribed, Ornate Spear-Bow

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gnome7 posted:

I'm Your Opponent :words:

Fair enough, but I still think Battle Instincts is a more interesting move - all it needed was to state you only roll it once per combat.

Incidentally, Sage posted an official recommendation for 2-handed weapons on G+ the other day - +1 damage, but requires both hands to wield. Personally, I think that's a bit crap - I'd say Forceful+Messy for free is probably a fairer trade-off.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo, can I get some feedback on my playbook I've been working on the past few days? Good, bad, utter poo poo? Things that need fixing, things that should be cut, things that simply Should Not Be?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gnome7 posted:

Anyway, more importantly, Improved Bard. I rewrote Arcane Art in a way a sane person might understand, and I replaced Bardic Lore. Old Bardic Lore: A move that sometimes lets you get free info about a specific topic that you had to pick during character creation. New Bardic Lore: Spout Lore all day erry day, come up with legends about everything you come across, and get mechanically rewarded for being an exposition machine by Truth to Power.

I changed the advances slightly, but for the most part everything it had was already really good. I changed some of the +maths moves into something more interesting, and made Metal Hurlant +CHA like every other musical move is, but generally everything on that end is the same as normal bard.

I would move on to write Improved Thief now but Lemon's City Thief has basically got it covered. You should put that somewhere I can link it in the content post, G+ is not a sane place to store things.

I kind of don't like that you can just roll a 7-9 on Arcane Art and be all "oh well, nothing happens!" But everything else looks alright.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Tollymain posted:

Yo, can I get some feedback on my playbook I've been working on the past few days? Good, bad, utter poo poo? Things that need fixing, things that should be cut, things that simply Should Not Be?
I don't see a lot here that the Hardened Captive couldn't do with a compendium class.

Gear:
"Nondescript garb" is anathema. "Broken shackles" is visually arresting; you can see what this fella looks like.

I see how it fits procedurely, but the alignment "avoid being imprisoned/captured" would be annoying for a DM. Either I add monsters who are slavers, or I create a "you're imprisoned!" slot that the player is hell bent on opposing.

The tone is off; sentences like

quote:

or weird lobe-y deals on your head, or something.
You were considered nothing but raw material, really.

"You can always find leverage when parlaying with captors" is an odd duck of a move, as well. If my character doesn't want to negotiate with his captors (or only sees them every few sessions as the DM shifts the spotlight), that starting move does very little.

Things like "take +1 forward when you're caught in the middle of the party and your keepers" is either not very useful, or immensely useful depending on how often it's triggered. Some sessions you could use it on 80% of rolls; some sessions, never.

There's a good class in here, Tolly, but it might just be a Compendium one.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

gnome7 posted:

On the topic of feedback: Shoutout to PublicOpinion for all his awesome monsters. The big detailed google docs you post on them are very high quality and I highly recommend any of them for an adventure. A single one of those ecologies is enough to run an entire session off of.

Hurray! Ah, vindication. And speaking of, I've updated the Betrayer write up to (hopefully) catch the last of the typos, and also include more art:

PUNCH ALL EVIL IN THE FACE.

Also, started sketching for the next one, which I was originally planning on releasing alongside the Betrayer as the 'lawful' to their 'chaotic', but I got impatient:

The Hammerhand, a nine-foot implacable judge who enforces the law without pity. When all you have is a hammer, every crime gets a hammering!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Tollymain posted:

There's no default gear or load value, you're missing the little blurb that would have that at the start of your Gear list. As for the choices themselves, I'd like to see something more interesting than weight 0 on the shackles and you should probably hand out more than just one piddly potion or roll of bandages for the misc items.

Shaped By Circumstance: I'm not a big fan of replacing what you use to Defy Danger, especially when there's nothing in your starting moves that really 'sets' what you use. It would seem like it's just a way to let you do more things while not having to worry about your stats being poured into your class's main thing, but then there's no 'main stat' so you could just pick whatever stats you want. There's nothing wrong with not having a main stat or sorts, but if anything that just makes it easier to assign them as you please. Also, a situational +d2 damage is kind of lame compared to the other two choices, partially because the other two are crazy broken.

Aggressively Altered: This is cool. Just some neat stuff that lets you just 'do' stuff in the fiction.

Yes, Master: This sounds cool, but the first part and the trigger itself feel weirdly disconnected. You've got actual commands from the race or whatever that enslaved you still affecting you when you hear them today being the flavor, but then suddenly the trigger is 'old habits die hard'.

Stolen Talisman: The weapon feels kind of lame, because it basically boils down to a whole starting move just for never losing your weapon. It'll definitely come up, but it feels really weak as a core part of the class. The construct's pretty alright, simpler than a hireling but still something you can probably do neat things with. As for the sack, it's a weird, more dangerous Bag of Holding with a really awkward trigger, and 'load management' doesn't exactly make for a cool core ability to a class.

Eyes of the Other: If it works no matter the Discern Realities result, just word it as a thing you can do, like how Druids can just flat out talk to animals they know. Just make it so that you're capable of seeing through your old master's ruses, simple as that.

Alien Culture: I dunno, not a big fan of this. Why can you drive a hard bargain with your old captors? Don't they just want to kick you around? If anything this could be an advance, but as a core ability to the class it doesn't make sense, marks the sixth starting move the class has, and is kind of weak.

Troublemaker: I feel like this could be pretty fun if it did more than just hand out a +1, but it's not bad.

Self-made Man: I'm not a fan of stuff that throws rations out myself but that's just my opinion and doesn't mean much. Poison immunity almost feels too specific for me, but that heavily depends on the campaign at hand.

Brother Mine: Yes. Very good, fits perfectly with the Oddysee theme.

I Am Nobody's Slave: Not really sure why it replaces Yes, Master. You've still got the experience from working as a captive, even if you refuse to submit to them now.

Shaped by Circumstance: Your choice at level 1 shouldn't restrict your choice at level 6+. The Gladiator's choice feels a bit small for a 6-10 advance.

...And Made Them My Own: I'd kind of rather this be changed up to 10+ and extra options on the others. It reminds me of the Mage's Spell Mastery, and I think it should be around that strong given what it does and it being a 6+ advance.

The New Flesh: I think that by level 6+ you should have access to cooler, more dramatic things than "eyes on the back of your head". Being a golem/robot is a little cooler, but more for what it implies for the fiction in general than for it meaning you don't have to worry about rations or sleep much.

I think my biggest issue is the starting moves. They should make a cohesive whole and be the 'core' of your class, because short of houserules the idea is that every Stolen has those moves. They're kind of a mish-mash of random things though, and there's some advanced moves like I Stole Your Demons that I feel would be better starters. Really, I'm having a hard time coming up with four distinct starting moves for Abe. I kind agree with Bee, there's a couple moves in here that would make a great Awakened Abe kind of compendium class, but the core idea might be too specific to be a whole class even if you tweaked the moves.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think my big problem is other than "You were taken by assholes" and "You are no longer the same person", I'm not sure which move concepts should be core to this playbook. It seemed to me that if you were going to have a weird thing stolen from your masters that it should probably be in from the start, otherwise it seems like it just appears from the aether when you take the advance. Frankly I'm probably just bad at coming up with weird and interesting magical talismans.

Also, I'm not sure if it's clear that you're supposed to take Agg. Alt. OR Shaped as a starting move, so there isn't really 6 starting moves here. Still, Alien Culture probably should be a 2-5 advance.

I'm definitely not trying to just rip the Oddysee feel here; it's inspired by a couple of other things as well, including Changeling: the Lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Tollymain posted:

I think my big problem is other than "You were taken by assholes" and "You are no longer the same person", I'm not sure which move concepts should be core to this playbook. It seemed to me that if you were going to have a weird thing stolen from your masters that it should probably be in from the start, otherwise it seems like it just appears from the aether when you take the advance. Frankly I'm probably just bad at coming up with weird and interesting magical talismans.

Also, I'm not sure if it's clear that you're supposed to take Agg. Alt. OR Shaped as a starting move, so there isn't really 6 starting moves here. Still, Alien Culture probably should be a 2-5 advance.

I'm definitely not trying to just rip the Oddysee feel here; it's inspired by a couple of other things as well, including Changeling: the Lost.

Yeah, it's a pain when you realize you might not have as much to go on as you thought, as a bunch of scrapped classes I've been toying around with have shown me. As for the choice between two, I couldn't tell if that was a note to yourself or something about maybe moving it to advances or what.

Inspiration-wise, it's more that I'm familiar with Oddworld while I have no idea what Changeling even is, or probably other things that it's referencing. It definitely gives me a big Abe's Oddysee vibe though, and that's definitely a good thing.