Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

Oh god Battle Hymn is so bad.
I'm not really a fan of Sirk in general. I admire a lot of his films, but I don't actually like most of them. Usually I think this is because I find his distinctive sensibility---of elaborately cultivated structural irony---difficult to engage with. I understand where he's coming from, and I think a lot of his films are really astonishing given that they were embedded in the mid '50s Hollywood mainstream. I feel approximately the same way about, for example, Michael Bay.

And I say this to set up the observation that it's interesting that I don't really engage with most Sirk films because of their cool irony, while I don't really engage with Battle Hymn because of its apparent sincerity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Twitch posted:

Is the Amazon instant version of Do The Right Thing messed up too? I've been meaning to watch it for a while and that seems like the easiest way to watch it.

Couldn't tell you, I've never rented the movie off there and nobody's mentioned it either way that I can find. I'd assume since it's an HD copy that came from Universal, it probably has the same issue. And I'm sure that goes for any other digital copy you can get - iTunes, Google Play, etc.

If there's an HD version of DTRT out there that is unaltered, it'd have to be from an HDTV showing from before 2009.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

live with fruit posted:

Do you have a link for any of these?
Latin American films of the 2000s
Cien aņos sin soledad: The Greatest Latin American Films of All Time
Arcadia's Greatest Latin American Films This list includes Spanish films as well for some reason.

The three big Latin American countries as far as cinema goes:
Brazil
Cuba
Argentina
I have another Brazilian list somewhere that I need to compile and put up when I get some time.

As a counterpoint this: Guide to African Cinema is the only African film list worth a drat I've ever found and it's made by an outsider. It's still a decent introduction to the continent's cinema all things considered, but it's sad that there isn't something better or more comprehensive.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I know nothing about anything but this looks like a list of good Latin American films from 2000-2009 (according to people in New York City but whatever).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

SubG posted:

I'm not really a fan of Sirk in general. I admire a lot of his films, but I don't actually like most of them. Usually I think this is because I find his distinctive sensibility---of elaborately cultivated structural irony---difficult to engage with. I understand where he's coming from, and I think a lot of his films are really astonishing given that they were embedded in the mid '50s Hollywood mainstream. I feel approximately the same way about, for example, Michael Bay.

And I say this to set up the observation that it's interesting that I don't really engage with most Sirk films because of their cool irony, while I don't really engage with Battle Hymn because of its apparent sincerity.

I love Sirk and Bay for roughly similar reasons.

Battle Hymn's an odd one because in the canon of his career it makes no sense. Dude was famous for complex and ironic dramas, yet when he has a script about a humanitarian soldier, the most cruelly ironic position of all, he plays it with gung-ho sincerity. What the gently caress? PLUS he's got those two WWII films which are acutely aware of the human damage and untenable carnage of war, and this film released between the two of them treats war like a game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Speaking of war films, I took a war film class last year and the teacher teased us with a story about a film that was shot at Normandy by John Ford, and up until recently the only people who'd seen it were Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin, but that Spielberg had rediscovered it and it was being restored, anyone have any idea if that's true at all?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Speaking of war films, I took a war film class last year and the teacher teased us with a story about a film that was shot at Normandy by John Ford, and up until recently the only people who'd seen it were Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin, but that Spielberg had rediscovered it and it was being restored, anyone have any idea if that's true at all?

John Ford was shooting Normandy - here's some of his camera crew's work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_gXOU73Apg

But I'm not aware of any film edited from the footage, which is mostly in the public record now. The idea of a lost Ford war doc sounds a bit like your prof got the Normandy stuff mixed up with Torpedo Squadron 8, a memorial film he made for a lost crew that was suppressed because it was bad for morale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aYVko3zJrQ

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

I love Sirk and Bay for roughly similar reasons.

Battle Hymn's an odd one because in the canon of his career it makes no sense. Dude was famous for complex and ironic dramas, yet when he has a script about a humanitarian soldier, the most cruelly ironic position of all, he plays it with gung-ho sincerity. What the gently caress? PLUS he's got those two WWII films which are acutely aware of the human damage and untenable carnage of war, and this film released between the two of them treats war like a game.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Apparently Dean Hess, whose autobiography the film is based upon, was active on the set during production. I assume that's why it feels like such an un-Sirk-like outlier, especially coming right on the heels of Written on the Wind (1956), or in comparison to say A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Latin American films of the 2000s
Cien aņos sin soledad: The Greatest Latin American Films of All Time
Arcadia's Greatest Latin American Films This list includes Spanish films as well for some reason.

The three big Latin American countries as far as cinema goes:
Brazil
Cuba
Argentina
I have another Brazilian list somewhere that I need to compile and put up when I get some time.

As a counterpoint this: Guide to African Cinema is the only African film list worth a drat I've ever found and it's made by an outsider. It's still a decent introduction to the continent's cinema all things considered, but it's sad that there isn't something better or more comprehensive.

Cool, thanks.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
What is the best Army of Darkness DVD release?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ho Chi Mint posted:

A fuzzy bootleg, viewed at midnight during a sleepover in 7th grade.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A fuzzy bootleg, viewed at midnight during a sleepover in 7th grade.

Well, I was already past the 7th grade when it was released, so that's out. :corsair:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Whichever one has the coolest box art.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I just watched Kill Bill for the first time since I saw it in theaters however long ago and I have to ask why The Bride getting shot in the chest with a loving shotgun doesn't even get credited as a real wound for more than like 2 minutes? She gets buried after that and then she's suddenly healed up

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BIZORT posted:

I just watched Kill Bill for the first time since I saw it in theaters however long ago and I have to ask why The Bride getting shot in the chest with a loving shotgun doesn't even get credited as a real wound for more than like 2 minutes? She gets buried after that and then she's suddenly healed up

Wasn't the justification that Budd was shooting her with rock salt, which would be blindingly painful in the short-term but wouldn't cause any serious damage (so she'd suffer as much as possible being buried alive)?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BIZORT posted:

She is shot with rock salt, which some people think is a "non-lethal" load for shot guns. According to mythbusters it may not even break the skin. Knowing QT, it is probably a reference to some other movie where that is done...

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Whichever one includes the director's cut with the proper ending.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Ah ok I didn't catch that. Thanks

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Crackerman posted:

Whichever one includes the director's cut with the proper ending.

While the ending is better, the quality of the director's cut vs. the theatrical cut is pretty poor. Not just the reinserted scenes, but the whole thing is pretty poorly done (theatrical cut looks nice, though). However, overall, that edition is pretty good (Anchor Bay Boomstick Edition).

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I have a silly question.
I've been watching Django Unchained and I noticed tonight that when Django is remembering Broomhilda being whipped, she's fully clothed for it. It doesn't seem like they even undid the back of her dress.

Do you think that was on purpose? Maybe he wanted her to keep her dignity in his memories?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

scary ghost dog posted:

Whichever one has the coolest box art.

So, the Japanese version...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rake Arms posted:

So, the Japanese version...

"Captain Supermarket"

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
What's the name of the super-early film guy who did lots of sequences of peoples' gaits?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kull the Conqueror posted:

What's the name of the super-early film guy who did lots of sequences of peoples' gaits?

Monty something, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2ViNJFZC8&t=202s

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 21, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's certainly not "Walking" since it's not even close to super-early, but when am I gonna have a chance to post "Walking" again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpE_ETl0S58

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
He did all sorts of animals too, and all sorts of racist studies of indigenous people. It was like late 19th-century. I can't google it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

He did all sorts of animals too, and all sorts of racist studies of indigenous people. It was like late 19th-century. I can't google it.

Wait are you talking about Eadweard Muybridge, the dude who invented movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-IIaP4AErg
(nudity in that)

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Yes, thank you. I feel less ashamed I could not remember that name, but now I won't forget it.

e: Whoa, wait what? He killed a guy?

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 21, 2013

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Wasn't the justification that Budd was shooting her with rock salt, which would be blindingly painful in the short-term but wouldn't cause any serious damage (so she'd suffer as much as possible being buried alive)?

Or he was setting himself up to get killed by taking all kinds of crazy, unnecessary risks while also making her really angry at him. He does really hate his life and also knows what the Bride is able to do and get herself out of.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

penismightier posted:

Wait are you talking about Eadweard Muybridge, the dude who invented movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-IIaP4AErg
(nudity in that)

He does a great job bridging the gap between technological pioneer and weird old perv. There's a movie of his that's a naked woman climbing a ladder and pouring a jug of water onto another naked woman in a bathtub, which seems kind of low on the list of events needing to be captured for science.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Muybridge got into the sequential image game because of a bet.

"Science" wasn't too high on the list.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Jack Gladney posted:

He does a great job bridging the gap between technological pioneer and weird old perv. There's a movie of his that's a naked woman climbing a ladder and pouring a jug of water onto another naked woman in a bathtub, which seems kind of low on the list of events needing to be captured for science.

Also one of the motion studies he sold to the public was of himself, buck naked, swinging a bat.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

That's like #3 on my list of important scientific events.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

penismightier posted:

That's like #3 on my list of important scientific events.

1. The Invention of Toilet Paper
2. The Internet
3. Bathtime Hanky Panky

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes, thank you. I feel less ashamed I could not remember that name, but now I won't forget it.

e: Whoa, wait what? He killed a guy?

Yep, and of course it was something instigated by a photograph. And anytime Muybridge comes up I have to recommend Rebecca Solnit's River of Shadows, which is a great book on him and on California, technology, Native Americans, and shooting people in the chest.

quote:

Those gestures -- a gymnast turning a somersault in midair, a nude pouring water -- were unfamiliar and eerie stopped because they showed what had always been present but never seen. Set into motion, they were uncanny another way when they undid the familiar distinction between representations, which did not move, and life that did. Through the new technologies -- the train to the landscape, the camera to the spectacle -- the Victorians were trying to find their way back, but where they had lost the old familiar things they recovered exotic new ones. What they had lost was solid; what they gained was made out of air.

Edit: oh, and the "killed a guy" part:

quote:

Larkyns was with a group of men and women playing cribbage in the parlor. He came to the doorway and asked of the figure obscured by darkness, "Who are you?" The photographer, who must have seen only a silhouette before the light, answered, "My name is Muybridge and I have a message for you from my wife." At the word wife, he squeezed the trigger of his revolver. The bullet pierced Larkyns an inch below his left nipple. He clapped his hand to his heart and ran through the house and out the other door, collapsing under a large oak tree. Another man at the scene covered Muybridge with his own gun and disarmed him. Muybridge never tried to resist or flee. He was taken to the parlor, and he apologized to the women there for "the interruption".

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 21, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jack Gladney posted:

Oh gently caress, did they finally release "Ladder Ladies 7: An Aqueous Caprice"?!? gently caress, gotta get to the store now, I'm jerkin' a half-chub already.

Left Hand
Apr 5, 2011

penismightier posted:

It's certainly not "Walking" since it's not even close to super-early, but when am I gonna have a chance to post "Walking" again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpE_ETl0S58

On a similar tack, I feel like the opportunities to post "Ryan" are also somewhat limited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvfgLBMmtVs

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
So I noticed that Argo starts with the 70's-style Warner Bros. logo created by Saul Bass. I assumed it was an artistic choice referring to the time period the movie takes place in. But then I watched Magic Mike and the same logo appears at the beginning. Does anyone know what the logic behind this is, if any?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kuddles posted:

So I noticed that Argo starts with the 70's-style Warner Bros. logo created by Saul Bass. I assumed it was an artistic choice referring to the time period the movie takes place in. But then I watched Magic Mike and the same logo appears at the beginning. Does anyone know what the logic behind this is, if any?

Inglourius Basterds and Django Unchained both have retro logos (1970s Universal and Columbia, respectively). Even in the 1970s, there's The Sting with the 1930s "art deco" Universal logo and Chinatown opens with the 1930s Paramount logo. The Aviator has the mid-1950s Warner logo (made for 3-D, but used on a few CinemaScope films).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Speaking of studio logo's, is there anywhere which explains the more obscure ones?

And do they need any permission from Universal/20th C Fox etc before they decide to do a custom one for a movie? I wondered this for the billionth time when the Tet appeared in the Universal logo bit during Oblivion.