Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Sorry, meant DRZ400SM. The 's was plural. Oops.

Same deal with SM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The sm models are all the same really. Get a manual cam chain tensioner no matter what if it doesn't have one already. Do the cheap loctite fixes to the countershaft sprocket also. Not a lot to worry about on specific years, it's mostly general model problems. Keep an eye on the swing arm chain slider so it won't wear through.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xovaan posted:

Sorry, meant DRZ400SM. The 's was plural. Oops.

Same deal with SM?

The SM really didnt change at all beyond color schemes. In 07 they started coming with Renthal bars from the factory, thats about it.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I'm glad Battlefield 3 got the whole hooligan thing right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR87cWTdPmk&t=131s

Also while I'm here, is the goon consensus on the Ducati Hypermotard still pretty bad? I like the looks/sound/specs of one for commuting and some hooning around on, and would eventually get a wr250r or something and slap on some knobbies for dirt action.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

kloa posted:

Also while I'm here, is the goon consensus on the Ducati Hypermotard still pretty bad? I like the looks/sound/specs of one for commuting and some hooning around on, and would eventually get a wr250r or something and slap on some knobbies for dirt action.

If you're happy with a tarted up ducati monster with a tiny gas tank, then it's fine. Or spending 1k or whatever it is for the 6.6 gallon aftermarket tank.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kloa posted:

If you're willing to accept that it is a motard in name only, and will be only marginally more capable than a Monster, then its fine. It will not hold a candle to any of the supermotos regularly discussed in this thread except for in top speed.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

To be fair they do have strong brakes and lots of power so wheelies and stoppies are not a problem.

Last I saw a Hyper was the 1100 generation and it had lower spec stuff than I was expecting for the price. The really unforgivable was lack of adjustments on the forks and shocks.

If you're not the slide it around, hop over round abouts, jump off big curbs, looking for loading docks, 'lets see how this thing power slides on a dirt road' type of SM guy, they are a good looking, good sounding urban assault bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I test rode a Hyper (795cc?) a while back, and it was pretty nice, but I wasn't super impressed with how finicky it seemed.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Last I saw a Hyper was the 1100 generation and it had lower spec stuff than I was expecting for the price. The really unforgivable was lack of adjustments on the forks and shocks.=
You're thinking of the 796, the big one comes nicely equipped.

What do you mean by finicky? Did you have to push the button in just the right way to start it or something?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Zool posted:

You're thinking of the 796, the big one comes nicely equipped.

What do you mean by finicky? Did you have to push the button in just the right way to start it or something?

No, the engine seemed bitchy under 2500 RPM, it felt like I was right on top of the handlebars, and the bike fought me when I was trying to turn in, but that's probably just a Hypermotard != KRL650 thing.

e: It didn't help that the dealer told me to stay under 5K RPM because the engine had 26 miles on it.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 13, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Safety Dance posted:

No, the engine seemed bitchy under 2500 RPM, it felt like I was right on top of the handlebars, and the bike fought me when I was trying to turn in, but that's probably just a Hypermotard != KRL650 thing.

e: It didn't help that the dealer told me to stay under 5K RPM because the engine had 26 miles on it.

At Ducati Seattle, you're a WA goon right? They told me that too... that didn't happen.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Zool posted:

At Ducati Seattle, you're a WA goon right? They told me that too... that didn't happen.

Wrong side of the country. It was at BMW, Ducati, and Husqvarna of Atlanta.

I wish I lived in Seattle.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Bought an 09 KTM 530 EXC a few days ago and I am having trouble figuring out what oil filters to get. What is a six days filter? Can I use any brand of oil and are there any special things about changing the oil I should know?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A six days filter is how long it lasts when you only change the filter every other oil change :fella:

For real though I have no idea

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Six days is just a special edition. KTM dirt bikes almost all use the same filters. 1 filter for all 2011+ 4 strikes AFAIK.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Crossposting from the Questions thread as it's more specific to the sumo thread:

Has anyone ever popped a tube at the track? I took the DRZ out yesterday and it was doing great until I felt some strange oscillation when diving into a corner. I noticed when pressing on the bars that the bike kind of wallowed a bit and wasn't very stable. I slowed down and limped off track to find my rear tire was flat in pit lane.

I was running 22 psi cold in the rear on BT016 Pro's and they came up to 25-26 when warm which is what I was looking for... I was going at a pretty good pace and the rear tire was very gummy / had plenty of balled up rubber so I'm thinking it just got hot enough that perhaps a spoke was able to puncture the tube or the valve stem got eaten through. I tested it by inflating the tire again after I pulled into the paddock and all the spokes on one half of the wheel were equally bubbling when I poured water on indicating that the leak wasn't just the valve core or something dumb. There was also nothing stuck in the tread anywhere like a nail or staple or anything nor did I run over any foreign objects.

I won't know for sure until I get the tire off the rim but I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this sort of thing at the track. If so I'm probably going to start looking into a tubeless setup to avoid this in the future as well as make tire swaps a little bit easier / more convenient.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Old tube, just bad luck with something puncturing the tire, or someone installing the wrong sized tube? Those would be my first guesses.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Those are my guesses as well but I won't know for sure until I get it off there. I have a tube that I bought for my old DRZ that's from michelin and weighs somewhere on the order of 10-20 tons so I'd imagine it'd be a sturdy enough replacement. No idea what's in there now.

Tubeless would be the ideal way to go. So far most people go with small stickers over each spoke, silicone over each of the spoke holes and a tight wrap of 1-2 layers of gorilla tape. I've also seen 3M sealing tape as the most popular method lately which is just some really thick and crazy sticky foam style tape that seals the poo poo out of the area and has a strong backing on it. Supposedly this works incredibly well if you apply it right and only takes one wrap around per wheel.

Anybody tried either method out? I've not weighed it but tubes for these bikes have to be at least 2 pounds. I'm sure the tape weighs much less than that which would be a nice unsprung weight reduction as well.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gullous can give you an earful about popping tubes at the track and home sealing them.

I think it can work if you do a diligent job of it

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The PO of my 625 did a ghetto tubeless mod to my wheels. It appeared to be a poo poo ton of silicone sealant and duct tape. I decided it would be safer to still run a tube. So I put a fresh layer of duct tape over the caulking and put in a tube.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I think I'd trust the setup, enough people out there that probably aren't very careful have had it work and even those that report small leaks around the spokes have done easy fixes by dropping in a few drops of loctite to seal them up with good results.

I'm more leaning towards the sealing tape solution as that seems easier / cleaner and reportedly seals much better at the cost of being a bit more expensive than a few tubes of silicone and some gorilla tape.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Followed a ktm 625/660 on the way home yesterday. Was severely disappointed at the lack of wheelies at every intersection. Sure did sound good though. :getin:

A-, would not stalk follow again

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
There's an '07 690SM Prestige Edition (lovely anthracite colour) that always parks in the same spot in town. It has chicken strips over an inch wide on both wheels. To the point where I'm not sure *how* he's done it.

After 5+ years of never hitting a corner in anger it must be the saddest supermoto. I just want to adopt it and treat it right :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some lady blew thru an intersection in front of me yesterday. Despite being scary as hell, I did get to do a completely justifiable 6 o'clock endo in public.

Almost getting hit: justifies public stuntin

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

But did you wheelie away to show your righteous anger?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I took the 690 out for a sunny afternoon ride in Seattle yesterday... My name is Zool, and I'm addicted to wheelies.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coredump posted:

But did you wheelie away to show your righteous anger?

Yes, but a small one, as that was less justifiable

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In other news, my drz's gnarliness surgery went well!!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Jesus christ that's a good looking carburetor. An old friend of mine just got a DRZ actually, and I'm stuck in the basement working on my old loving yamaha.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 18, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Awesome man! Is that the stock cylinder site airboot?

In recent news I put in a new tube for my flatted one today. Turns out the old one had a tiny pinhole in it that probably was able to leak quickly when it was at track temp. I also installed a DDM HID headlight tonight. It's about time I can see at night again.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know you mentioned you had a full exhaust on your previous drz, what kind of setup was it? When does the mrd go on? :dance:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

JP Money posted:

In recent news I put in a new tube for my flatted one today. Turns out the old one had a tiny pinhole in it that probably was able to leak quickly when it was at track temp. I also installed a DDM HID headlight tonight. It's about time I can see at night again.

I put a little tyre goop in my tubed wheels. Not the full recommended amount but enough to put a coating on the inside of the tube. Not sure if it works for the track but it sure as poo poo works for the amazing amount of broken glass and roofing tacks scattered over our roads. Being tubed it's not a horrendous mess when you change the tyre.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

Its the airboot from the E, Which has a non-mx fcr from the factory

velocross posted:

I know you mentioned you had a full exhaust on your previous drz, what kind of setup was it? When does the mrd go on? :dance:

I had an akrapovic full system on my old drz, which power-wise I guess is one of the worst systems for the drz. It looked and sounded nice, but the PO spent a ton of money on it for not much gain.

I just put a full mrd system on my current drz a couple weeks ago. I love it!! :dance:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

I put a little tyre goop in my tubed wheels. Not the full recommended amount but enough to put a coating on the inside of the tube. Not sure if it works for the track but it sure as poo poo works for the amazing amount of broken glass and roofing tacks scattered over our roads. Being tubed it's not a horrendous mess when you change the tyre.

I considered doing this but I figured I'd just put a shitload of tire lube on the tube this time and hope nothing rubs. After putting in the tube I really do want to go the tubeless route. That thing weighs a ton. I think even if I covered the drop center fully in 5mm of silicone it'd still weigh less than the tube. Having angled valve stems would be nice again as well. It's kind of a pain to get to straight stems with the spokes / disc in the way.

My rear tire doesn't have a ton of life left in it after the track day so I think once it's about dead I'm going to order up some Pilot Powers or ContiForce's if I can get them cheap and give the tubeless setup a shot.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
When I tried to change the oil on my new KTM 530 exc I broke my little KTM brand 13mm!

Also, how do I get knobby tires balanced? The front one wobbles up and down a lot at speed.

ChewedFood fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 20, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All yall had better be getting the new GTA when it comes out, it has supermotos!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

JP Money posted:

I think I'd trust the setup, enough people out there that probably aren't very careful have had it work and even those that report small leaks around the spokes have done easy fixes by dropping in a few drops of loctite to seal them up with good results.

I'm more leaning towards the sealing tape solution as that seems easier / cleaner and reportedly seals much better at the cost of being a bit more expensive than a few tubes of silicone and some gorilla tape.

I've ghetto sealed my 690 rims with silicon sealant and gorilla tape and I'm never going back to tubes. Ghetto sealing isn't maintenance free, but I find many advantages compared to tubes. I've done a handful of trackdays and a 1500 mile road trip on sealed rims with minimal issues.

Advantages:
More reliable than tubes - I've had tubes wear a hole on the interior sidewall from heat cycles and track stress. Tubes are Timebombs (TM)
Cheaper - $20 a tube, $5 for silicon seal + good duct tape which isn't much to wrap a rim 3 times.
Easier repair - Anywhere that sells basic hardware supplies will be able to get you riding. Try finding a tube at 3am on a Sunday.
Weight - Not that I noticed but you can claim it

Downsides:
"Ghetto"
Can't set your bead with a bicycle pump
Prep time is longer - a tube just needs to be wiped down and you're good. Sealing requires you clean every nipple.

I followed this guide to the T and it worked nicely. The reliability of the seal correlates to the quality of your prep work. Do clean every spec of dirt in the spoke nipples. Don't go light on the silicon seal.

I have experienced some issues with this method, but it's always been due to me cutting corners. Water+soap lube from tire changes will eventually compromise the gorilla tape, and replacing that stresses the silicon seal, resulting in a ~5 psi drop overnight. Something that's fine for around town, but not track ready.

Spiff once asked "why not run tubliss" and the only response was price. If they sell motard wheel sizes, that's the ideal solution.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tubes are far from timebombs, especially on the street. Off road, they're a little more vulnerable

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I see like 50+ points of possible failure from that mod though. I dunno-- if it works, that's cool and all, but trying to track down which improperly sealed spoke is slowly chipping away at your PSI would make me instantly want to go back to a $20 tube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Tubes are far from timebombs, especially on the street. Off road, they're a little more vulnerable

I don't know. I've had a not-very-old tube leave me stranded 20 miles from home before.

• Locked thread