Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
This week's Wildstar Wednesday is a report about the first week of beta. He talks about the creatures with the most player kills, goals for the beta, and their development process. Best part is in bold.

Jeremy "Gaffer" Gaffney posted:

It's exciting for us all. We’ve got quite literally the first explorers setting foot on a big ol' world. We're showing off things that are sometimes the result of years of work, and sometimes what we did last Tuesday. The process (subject to change in whatever ways make it better): Level cap today is 22, and next round of beta we'll raise that and provide access to Dominion content.

After a round of feedback on that, we'll re-release the Exile content (with modifications and improvements based on the feedback from round 1) and we'll keep iterating forward. If we're getting negative feedback, we'll slow things down and make big changes. Where folks love stuff we'll try not to muck with it too much and deliver more. We'll do annoying things like wipe characters sometimes (which is one of the crappiest parts of beta as a player, especially when all the great stuff you got from an exploit goes away) - but it's needed when we change fundamental systems and need to see the results.

We won't promise perfection. One player actually found that some taxi drivers in a fit of generosity would give you money for flying to your destination instead of taking it and spent four hours riding back and forth. We left him with 50 copper of the 14 gold he farmed as thanks for making us laugh.

I will, however, in as non-bullshit-as-possible fashion, promise that we'll work our asses off to make the game better month after month, with the help of our players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Ciaphas posted:

Now all we have to do is hope for Lua-controllable raid markers. Getting that removed from WoW was a damned crime :(

I was just getting started, in Firefall I can do this and more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hxaXuyzbv0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IHr9i5oBBE

Pryce posted:

Plus the entire default UI built by Carbine is in Lua (and effectively open-sourced), so you can dive into the official UI code and make tweaks to your heart's content.
Excellent, but if I don't have documentation or the complete Wildstar API I can always get the client to tell it to me. ;)

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 18, 2013

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Pryce posted:

Nope. We know what we're doing, shockingly enough. :)

This game looks pretty great right now, but do you have a Nexon monetization rep on the team, GW2-style?

People who've played NCSoft games in the past are pretty well justified in being wary of another release from them.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Wheeee posted:

This game looks pretty great right now, but do you have a Nexon monetization rep on the team, GW2-style?

People who've played NCSoft games in the past are pretty well justified in being wary of another release from them.

I honestly haven't even heard of any NCSoft involvement other than their name being on the product. Seems like Carbine is keeping it to themselves.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Carbine Studios is owned by NCSoft.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I'm sure he's aware. It has no bearing on what he's saying though.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Megaflare posted:

I'm sure he's aware. It has no bearing on what he's saying though.

I'm aware, I'm just saying it doesn't seem like the general 'NCSoft sucks' isn't really applying here as carbine seems to be running itself. But I'm not in any board meetings so what do i know.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Why does everyone hate NCsoft? I only know them from Aion and GW2. and While Aion had alot of issues that was more from it's Korean background or whatever then NCSoft.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Draynar posted:

Why does everyone hate NCsoft? I only know them from Aion and GW2. and While Aion had alot of issues that was more from it's Korean background or whatever then NCSoft.

They killed City of Heroes out of nowhere (The devs were still developing content, they were about to push out a big content thing when they got word that everything was closing) when it was still making a profit and entirely refuse to sell it to anyone else, when there's been a number of people wanting to take it off their hands. They blame their "western" studios for their stocks dropping, while multiple times their games have completely flopped in Korea. They're notoriously bad at handling games.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And yet, from what I hear they're still better than Nexon or Tencent.

Chinese/Korean game development is hosed :shepface:

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

404GoonNotFound posted:

And yet, from what I hear they're still better than Nexon or Tencent.

Chinese/Korean game development is hosed :shepface:

And yet, EA is an American company and is probably worse than NCSoft in the end.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
So it's based on an internal company decision to drop a maybe semi profitable game that was ancient? Meh.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Draynar posted:

So it's based on an internal company decision to drop a maybe semi profitable game that was ancient? Meh.

If you're referring to City of Heroes, it was pretty drat popular, especially post F2P and an extremely fun game. As you can see, the goon presence was huge because the thread still continues. Even so, wouldn't you want to recoup losses by selling the IP maybe to get SOME money?

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
From a business standpoint? Probably not they might decide to use it in the future it cost them nothing to hang on to it were if they sell it and it does amazing they make themselves look like idiots to their shareholders. But unless you're on their board and have insider info on the decision it's really just kinda pointless rage cause old game you liked is gone.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Draynar posted:

But unless you're on their board and have insider info on the decision it's really just kinda pointless rage cause old game you liked is gone.

Not really. A really fun game got shut down for no real reason, a bunch of people got canned for no reason, they adamantly refuse to sell it because why? No good reason. They killed it so they could whine about their western studios when they're the ones who can't handle their games worth a drat.

There was also this from last page.

Tommy 2.0 posted:

They faked Garriot signing away paperwork while he was IN SPACE. Cost him millions and millions of dollars. They shut down CoH without warning, even though it was making a profit, and then they REFUSED to sell it to anyone to let it live. What did they do? Offer people bullshit to play their other new games. They didn't even give the awesome awesome dev team at CoH a real heads up they were shutting them down. They were literally about to push a bunch of new content when they got the word.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Ya but it doesn't really affect the quality of other things they publish so it really has no bearing on Wildstar unless you're worried they pull the plug on it 6 months after release.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Draynar posted:

Ya but it doesn't really affect the quality of other things they publish so it really has no bearing on Wildstar unless you're worried they pull the plug on it 6 months after release.

It does, so you're saying that EA's shitastic past does not effect their future games?

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

Draynar posted:

That's a real worry now that NCsoft has permanently closed 5 MMOs. Don't most other companies just sell off games when they start losing profitability? NCsoft has practically made closing and hoarding IPs their business model now for older games.

I'll be at Wildstar Day 1 but it is in the back of my head that NCsoft may decide to permanently close it at any time, that wouldn't be a worry with pretty much any other publisher.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Yardbomb posted:

Sure but let's be fair:

quote:

They faked Garriot signing away paperwork while he was IN SPACE. Cost him millions and millions of dollars.

That's hardly a bad thing!

My concern with NCSoft is less that they'll shut Wildstar down prematurely and more that it'll end up ruined by monetization schemes and forced bullshit grinds that were promised to not be in the game pre-release, as happened with GW2.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Bird Law posted:

That's a real worry now that NCsoft has permanently closed 5 MMOs. Don't most other companies just sell off games when they start losing profitability? NCsoft has practically made closing and hoarding IPs their business model now for older games.

There is a perfectly good reason they don't sell their IPs, why the gently caress would they want to sell an established game to another company for which that company can turn around and directly compete with the MMOs still live at NCsoft? It really is not a hard thing to understand why they are hoarding their IPs. Maybe if NCsoft as a company was going out of business then they would sell their IPs to make cash but if they don't need that cash why would they shoot themselves in the foot?

There's plenty to go on about NCsoft but being mad that they aren't selling their IP is kind of dumb.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Yardbomb posted:

Not really. A really fun game got shut down for no real reason, a bunch of people got canned for no reason, they adamantly refuse to sell it because why? No good reason. They killed it so they could whine about their western studios when they're the ones who can't handle their games worth a drat.

Do we actually know what their discussion was when they decided to drop coh? Because unless we do you're just saying what you think, which isn't relevant at all. You can think it was a stupid decision, but try to keep your opinions seperate from facts. It's entirely possible they're hanging on to coh for another game that they want to make, and they don't know if it'll happen or not yet. Do I really believe that? Not entirely, but it wouldn't suprise me if that was the case, and it's just as likely as your opinion.

All NCsoft is guilty of is being a poorly managed company, which is what happens when businessmen try to run a game publishing company, same thing EA is guilty of.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Bauxite posted:

Do we actually know what their discussion was when they decided to drop coh? Because unless we do you're just saying what you think, which isn't relevant at all. You can think it was a stupid decision, but try to keep your opinions seperate from facts. It's entirely possible they're hanging on to coh for another game that they want to make, and they don't know if it'll happen or not yet. Do I really believe that? Not entirely, but it wouldn't suprise me if that was the case, and it's just as likely as your opinion.

All NCsoft is guilty of is being a poorly managed company, which is what happens when businessmen try to run a game publishing company, same thing EA is guilty of.

All the financial data that was floating around when it got shut down showed it was on the downhill slope of a product life cycle. It was still profitable, but it didn't look like it was going to be for long. Prior the the announcements you had goons themselves complaining they were just logging in for the minor updates then taking long breaks in between, not the best way to attract new paying customers or keeping your current player base monetised.

Ending it before it started costing them money makes more sense than waiting until you're in the hole with it, to me.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

BadLlama posted:

There is a perfectly good reason they don't sell their IPs, why the gently caress would they want to sell an established game to another company for which that company can turn around and directly compete with the MMOs still live at NCsoft? It really is not a hard thing to understand why they are hoarding their IPs. Maybe if NCsoft as a company was going out of business then they would sell their IPs to make cash but if they don't need that cash why would they shoot themselves in the foot?

There's plenty to go on about NCsoft but being mad that they aren't selling their IP is kind of dumb.

I might be mistaken about this and I have nothing to cite it, but aren't there plenty of older MMOs that have changed hands as opposed to shutting down? I seem to remember that SOE and other studios would take these old MMOs and pretty much operate them in maintenance mode. Hoarding dead MMO IPs is not normal business by any stretch, however it is for NCsoft.

MMOs are a special case, when a publisher decides to stop supporting it everything is gone. That's a unique case in gaming, single player games stick around forever as long as you have the game. I think publishers owe the players that spent a lot of time and money in their MMO to make at least an effort to find a way to keep a game running.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Bird Law posted:

I might be mistaken about this and I have nothing to cite it, but aren't there plenty of older MMOs that have changed hands as opposed to shutting down?

The majority of older MMO's that are still running are still owned by their original creators. The only exception I can think of to this is Cryptic Studios since making MMOs then selling them is like their thing and then APB and games whose original creators are now gone.

MMO that have just shut down off the top of my head.

SWG
AC2
CoH
Tabula Rasha
Earth and Beyond
ShadowBane

Most companies are not going to sell a product they produced to a competing party when they are still in that same market with a different product. There are exception to this like with Cryptic Studios but their track record shows that its basically their business model to make a shoddy MMO then sell it to someone who wants it.

The majority of these old games that continue are because of emulators not another company buying them.

Basically, NCsoft are pretty huge turds but being mad at them for a sound business decision is crazy.

gently caress it though this about WildStar, hopefully Carbine has the monetary power to resist NCsoft influence and some legal grounds to keep a hold of WildStar over NCsoft.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 19, 2013

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
There is a live stream of wildstar happening right now (2:50pm EST) http://www.twitch.tv/wildstar

edit: aaaand it's over

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
drat was that internal test or a player?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BadLlama posted:

Tabula Rasha
Basically, NCsoft are pretty huge turds but being mad at them for a sound business decision is crazy.

gently caress it though this about WildStar, hopefully Carbine has the monetary power to resist NCsoft influence and some legal grounds to keep a hold of WildStar over NCsoft.

Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault were both NCSoft published and were shut down after only a year. NCSoft took over CoH/V after it had been out for 3 years and kept it going for another 5. When they took over they dedicated a studio to keeping it updated/improved, opened up both sides of the world to everyone who'd bought either edition of the game (and gave access to super bases to everyone). They also made it free to play when subscriptions dropped.

As a big fan of CoH/V (2 accounts, and bought the game for 3 friends over the time I played it), I'd say NCSoft is a great partner to have for WildStar, because even if it doesn't hit it out of the park right away. They'll A) either rip off the bandaid quickly after a year or B) make every reasonable effort to put a studio on updating it and improving it, and try to change their business model to lengthen the tail of the game. Wildstar, itself, seems like it's way ahead of the game on having mature assets and mechanics. The polish level seems better than either TR or AA. In fact, I think NCSoft's general strategy is to jettison the MMOs that used to be acceptable, like Everquest, that never rose above their graphical, systems, and engine flaws (but limped on seemingly forever despite them all) in favor of games that come out playable and reasonably baked like guild wars, Aion, and Blade&Soul.

Contrast, to maybe Defiance, which is rough as hell, even if it were a single player game, and will likely never be more than a weird open world borderlands that looks like it was made in the half life engine. This seems like a company that wants to compete on quality and wants you to think 'oh, SOE is the one with those jenky old MMOs with lovely graphics--NCSoft has all those slick awesome looking games'.

Seems like.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Draynar posted:

drat was that internal test or a player?

They just tested stream quality and stuff.

I am proud to have chosen the name Twinklestar for the character.

He lived and died so we might see streams in the future.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pawl posted:

There is a live stream of wildstar happening right now (2:50pm EST) http://www.twitch.tv/wildstar

edit: aaaand it's over

Anything of note to skip to in the VOD or is it all full of good info? Additionally it looks like this will be an ongoing series similar to other game developers which is always nice since Twitch seems to be mostly bad streamers with low quality content.

Edit - Oops, look like I was wrong, VOD is not up yet (if it ever plans to be), details on the gist of what went on?

Edit 2 - Thanks Waterbed

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 20, 2013

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Stormtalon Dungeon picture links here: http://imgur.com/a/rmu4h

(bigger ones here https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/113817437221769581576/stream/094e571f-49aa-47ab-b8a5-9622f7fd01da )

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

I was going to say they look horribly small and compressed, but it looks like it's something that was done afterwards. So that's alright.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Looking good :woop:

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

It's looking good and very interesting. I presume this is one of the lower-level dungeons?

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Apparently it's the first dungeon we get access too. I'd imagine they'll be some writeups this week since the arkship eu guys got to play it and can talk about it.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Wheeee posted:

Sure but let's be fair:

That's hardly a bad thing!

My concern with NCSoft is less that they'll shut Wildstar down prematurely and more that it'll end up ruined by monetization schemes and forced bullshit grinds that were promised to not be in the game pre-release, as happened with GW2.

I'm more worried about their shoddy security coughing up account information and the irreversible account bans that happen due to their shoddy security. I'm still pissed off about my inactive Aion account getting hacked (yes I used a strong password), then used for gold spam and being cancelled all without me receiving a single email about it. When I did contact them I was told it was irreversible and blah blah blah.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
Lead Software Engineer has given an interview about the engine they use. There's no real information other than explaining what they use and why the use it. I found this rather interesting though:

quote:

Can you give us a feel for the complexity of WildStar’s engine, and how big a project it is compared to art, content creation and other areas of development?

Well, we have lots of code (99% of which is C++). The engine is roughly 750,000 lines, the Client specific parts are roughly 250,000 lines, the servers are about 500,000 lines, and we have over 1.1 million lines of code in the 130 or so tools we use daily. We’re also pretty good at deleting unused projects and not leaving commented code in our depot, so I’d imagine the 2.6 million lines of code we have are live, active, important lines of code.

And this in particular, some history about the art-style.

quote:

WildStar has a very hand-made art style, with painted textures and cartoonish models. How does that influence engine design?

The very obvious answer is that graphics programmers have to support artists in making their art look the way they want (e.g. implementing shaders that simulate various material properties, making new particle system types, etc). But the real answer lies in a story about an early build of WildStar that looked much, much different than what you’ve ever seen publicly.

When we started this project draw distance was the big thing. We wanted to draw out into infinity. There were grand ideas of starting off in space as you dropship down onto the planet Nexus; live rendering the game the whole time. We had implemented an awesome level of detail system that would guarantee constant pixel densities of the terrain system while blending the least used terrain textures into a custom color channel so the textures could be unloaded. It even super sampled terrain that was extra close to the camera (kind of the way anti-aliasing works). For the resources it was taking up, it looked great! And it had a near constant memory footprint. Programmers were high-fiving themselves all over the place.

Then one of our Lead Artists came to us, complaining that he couldn’t control what something looked like as it travelled from the foreground to the background. Of course he couldn’t! Our engine would pick the least used terrain textures, dump them to the color channel, and blend up the rest. It had a constant memory footprint!!! What didn’t he understand?! Did he miss the high-five memo?

Apparently, he didn’t want that. He showed us the concept art for his asset and said, “See this; I made something that looks like this.” And sure enough, his model and texture looked nearly as awesomely painted as the concept. “I want this to look exactly like this no matter where we draw it,” he continued. We said, “That’s impossible, when it goes further away we HAVE to make its textures smaller.” He said, “Well then I want to be able to control each MIP level, paint each one separately if I want. It has to look like this.” And it clicked with us. We needed to design a graphics engine where an artist can make sure his art looks right no matter where it is.

So we scrapped the terrain mipping and rewrote our graphics engine to draw things more “consistently.” It has certainly cost us in draw distance but everything you can see is exactly the way our artists intended, always (well, except when a designer places it).

Here's the full thing: http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32245&storypage=1

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Wish my company had high-five memos.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

The art is amazing in those screenshots.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Given that this game looks more or less like WoW+ I wonder what the developer's plans (If any) are to deal with how rapidly players mow through content and become bored with it.

WoW survives on inertia and strength of years-old social bonds; I don't think anyone's going to want to run this (Admittedly pretty) dungeon that was just linked after they've already run it and the handful of other dungeons available dozens of times each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Eh, i could have said the same for RIFT and it was fine. Sure its no goddamned mammoth like WoW, but you were never hurting for finding people in LFG and there were plenty of serious guilds, just not alot of servers.

• Locked thread