Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Landscapes?

P4110537.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P4080493.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P4110538.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
No more Oregon. California.

the road ahead by thetzar, on Flickr

Bixby Bridge, Big Sur by thetzar, on Flickr

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

thetzar posted:

No more Oregon. California.

God drat you got much nicer weather than I did when I drove through a week ago. I'm jealous.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Rocks up in here

El Capitan at Dawn

Cathedral Rocks at Dawn

Cook's Meadow

Lower Yosemite Falls from Swinging Bridge

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You're supposed to focus rangefinders? :suicide:

Bilbo Baggins
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

_DSC2121 by Pliv10, on Flickr

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

20120925-bolivia-5954.jpg by alexbeare, on Flickr

This is called 'Seven Colors Mountain'. I'm not entirely convinced.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I love it

(you have a few dust spots in the sky: top left, middle, and far right)

but I still love it.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I want to get better at this, but I feel like a total scrub.

single-mode fiber fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 15, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I rather like the scene. Can't really identify why, maybe it's just because I'm happy to see spring beginning its work. You divided the image nicely into thirds with the sky/grass/water.

Light might be a little harsh, try going back at dawn or sunset. :v:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

single-mode fiber posted:

If you are using Lightroom 3 or 4, look into how to use the Grad Tool to bring down the light explosion in the sky to create a more dramatic sky. Or better yet, look into some cheap gradient density filters. They darken the sky, while leaving the rest of your photo mostly un-effected.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

joelcamefalling posted:

20120925-bolivia-5954.jpg by alexbeare, on Flickr

This is called 'Seven Colors Mountain'. I'm not entirely convinced.

They look so soft! Not unfocused-soft, but like mountains that have started to melt. Very cool shot.

More hiking photos from the Adirondacks, where it's still winter:

moments later...

moments later...

At least I got 10 minutes of sun.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Gambl0r posted:

They look so soft! Not unfocused-soft, but like mountains that have started to melt. Very cool shot.

More hiking photos from the Adirondacks, where it's still winter:

moments later...

moments later...

At least I got 10 minutes of sun.

I love shots of snow/rime encased trees.

How do you like hiking with a DSLR? Is it your primary camera when hiking? Do you always have it out of your pack, or do you stop and take it out when you want to get a shot? I'm planning on getting a DSLR, but haven't decided on whether I would take it hiking (peaks in the White Mountains in NH). I currently use my S95, which easily fits in my pocket.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EPICAC posted:

How do you like hiking with a DSLR? Is it your primary camera when hiking? Do you always have it out of your pack, or do you stop and take it out when you want to get a shot? I'm planning on getting a DSLR, but haven't decided on whether I would take it hiking (peaks in the White Mountains in NH). I currently use my S95, which easily fits in my pocket.

It's not a problem as long as you limit the gear you lug.. carrying a camera isn't any harder than an extra water bottle or a set of binoculars or whatever. I alternate on stuffing it in my backpack and carrying it around my neck depending on what my goals are and whether I expect to see something interesting along the way.

I did do the "full haul" once on a 20 mile hike.. tripod, telephoto and wide angle lens plus a bunch of filters and it wasn't too bad. With a decently balanced backpack it's like it's not even there. At least for 75% of the hike.. the last couple miles kind of sucked. :v:

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_3520 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_3515 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_3544 by s-bothun, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

slardel posted:

I do rather like the target one. The others... the first thing I see is noise. Get thee to a tripodery.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
yeah the pharmacy one is really cool. Really grabs your eye.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

I just added a ton of stuff from Joshua Tree National Park on my tumblr, in case anyone's interested...

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/ajrosaleschgo

for instance:

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Oh my, these are fantastic. The colors are soft and wonderful. How long was the exposure on the first?

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

thetzar posted:

Oh my, these are fantastic. The colors are soft and wonderful. How long was the exposure on the first?

Thanks, I'm glad you like them! The first one was 3:30s @ f/11, the second was 30s @ f/4.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This is awesome.

This is also awesome.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

These rule.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I drive past a big open field every day on my way to work. I've been meaning to stop by and snap a few pics. I did today, and while I was shooting it I thought "this is going to be a really boring picture." Sure enough, it ended up being a really boring picture. I was hoping for something along the lines of the default Windows XP desktop picture. What I got was basically a quaalude in RAW format. :(

I'd post a picture, but it's awful. How does one photograph an open field and make it interesting? Or do you just not do that?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Admiral posted:

Thanks, I'm glad you like them! The first one was 3:30s @ f/11, the second was 30s @ f/4.

Can I ask a silly question as to what stop filter you used, if any?

Those are both really amazing pictures.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ZippySLC posted:

I drive past a big open field every day on my way to work. I've been meaning to stop by and snap a few pics. I did today, and while I was shooting it I thought "this is going to be a really boring picture." Sure enough, it ended up being a really boring picture. I was hoping for something along the lines of the default Windows XP desktop picture. What I got was basically a quaalude in RAW format. :(

I'd post a picture, but it's awful. How does one photograph an open field and make it interesting? Or do you just not do that?

Try it at different times of day or with different weather. There's probably a decent shot in there somewhere.. you just gotta find it. Beg a friend to run around the field too, maybe add a subject to liven it up. If you were using a wide angle, try using a telephoto.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Trojan by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

slardel posted:

Please keep doing what you're doing.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Went on a camping trip to Channel Islands National Park.

CI-9 by The original David L, on Flickr

CI-26 by The original David L, on Flickr

CI-31 by The original David L, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Void Deck, Bukit Merah, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

xzzy posted:

Try it at different times of day or with different weather. There's probably a decent shot in there somewhere.. you just gotta find it. Beg a friend to run around the field too, maybe add a subject to liven it up. If you were using a wide angle, try using a telephoto.

Yeah, I think more dramatic lighting would help. When I drove past this morning I saw that it looked much more interesting in the early morning low sun than the mid-afternoon sun I shot it in yesterday.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Dead Goat - Exmouth, WA by Alex Gard, on Flickr

First time I've ever been in an arid environment. I had a blast running around the wastelands with my 85mm. I have a heeeap more coming but goddamn they're taking a long time to go through. Hopefully I'll have them done in the next few days.

Sunburn on the neck by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Untitled by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Twiggy by Alex Gard, on Flickr

edit2:

off to work this morning. This is my home for the next 5 weeks. (Does this count as a landscape?)

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 19, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I share this goons exact feeling

single-mode fiber posted:

Also this owns

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

EPICAC posted:

I love shots of snow/rime encased trees.

Sorry it took me forever to reply. It's funny you ask this, as those shots were from my first hike with my new backpack and camera bag setup. I had been hiking with my camera backpack (Kata 3N120), but it just couldn't cut it as a hiking bag - no spots for water, a coat or outer layer, food, etc. If I took out all the dividers to make space for some stuff, it no longer functioned as a camera bag. So, I finally bought a real hiking pack - the Osprey Kestrel 48, and a camera bag insert - the MountainSmith Kit Cube. It's an amazing combination... the Kit Cube fits into the separated bottom pocket of the Kestrel, and can be opened up to access camera gear without digging through your hiking stuff. It's actually really quick to access. Sometimes I wish I was hiking with my camera out all the time, but it's not practical. Too much weight around my neck and it bounces around constantly. I'm pretty sure the real nature photographers have some way to attach their SLRs to a sternum strap (or some kind of chest webbing?) but I don't really have the need for that right now. If you already have a hiking bag that can hold an insert like the MountainSmith one (or something similar), I'd say bring it with you on your hikes - once you get your SLR and some lenses, you won't want to be limited by the S95 (Which is a great camera - I had the S90 for a while!)

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Gambl0r posted:

Sometimes I wish I was hiking with my camera out all the time, but it's not practical. Too much weight around my neck and it bounces around constantly.

I own of these (https://peakdesignltd.com/) and find it pretty handy. It's great when I'm out hiking and need two hands free for climbing or what have you and don't want to spend the time packing/unpacking the camera.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

moonduck posted:

I own of these (https://peakdesignltd.com/) and find it pretty handy. It's great when I'm out hiking and need two hands free for climbing or what have you and don't want to spend the time packing/unpacking the camera.

I remember seeing this Kickstarter and didn't have a real need for it at the time. I have an upcoming trip to Utah where I'll be hiking and taking maaany more photos than on my local hikes. I might have to get one of these for that trip. Thanks!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_3580 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_3584 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_3587 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_3590 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_3536 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_3534 by s-bothun, on Flickr

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head