Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't remember Rebirth of the Total Package at all since I pretty much watched the first hour of Nitro then switched over to Raw by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

this was my 1997:
1st hour of Nitro: Luchas and cruisers, yessssss
Oh hey RAW is on.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

coconono posted:

this was my 1997:
Oh hey RAW is on.
You and me both, brother.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
By 1999, Nitro was coming on on Wednesday afternoons or some poo poo in Canada. Some weeks TSN wouldn't air it at all.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

What was ever appealing about Jim Duggan? Seriously, someone explain this to me.

requisite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Hacksaw was basically Sandman if you replaced the cane with the 2x4 and beer with the flag.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Mr Wonderful also had this gimmick in WCW. This led to a funny match against Disco Inferno. Orndorff was posing in the mirror, and Disco decided to look over Orndorff's shoulder so he could check his hair. Orndorff promptly knocked Disco out and pinned him.

I'm so glad this exists on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVL5C-6HDsM

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

By 1999, Nitro was coming on on Wednesday afternoons or some poo poo in Canada. Some weeks TSN wouldn't air it at all.

Yeah it was pretty hard to be a WCW fan if you were Canadian. Which is probably why most people werent. The time and day theyd show Nitro seemed to be completely random and it was pre-empted for literally any other programming, even in WCWs heyday.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That's one impressive piledriver.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Hacksaw was basically Sandman if you replaced the cane with the 2x4 and beer with the flag.
It all makes sense now. thank you.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Funniest about Luger's narcissist gimmick was hearing wrestlers (including Luger himself) trying to say the word narcissist without loving up.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

MrBling posted:

Funniest about Luger's narcissist gimmick was hearing wrestlers (including Luger himself) trying to say the word narcissist without loving up.

Right up there with hearing guys fight to pronounce "WWE."

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

MrBling posted:

'The Narciss' rolls off the tongue much more nicely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coconono posted:

this was my 1997:
Oh hey RAW is on.
I wasn't doing that until 1999 after the fingerpoke of doom. I was a WCW true believer. :(

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah it was pretty hard to be a WCW fan if you were Canadian. Which is probably why most people werent. The time and day theyd show Nitro seemed to be completely random and it was pre-empted for literally any other programming, even in WCWs heyday.

That's a little strange because I recall, living in Edmonton, that Nitro and Thunder aired at the same time on TBS as in the US and weren't really censored. It was Raw on TSN that was annoying to watch at times because TSN would censor the hell out of the program by cutting to crowd shots and pre-recorded segments if something too extreme began to air (I recall when Jericho broke Chyna's thumb with a hammer in 1999, they cut to Chyna's video entrance and aired that for a bit). SmackDown on UPN was fine, but Raw was almost unwatchable at times.

Then again, I wasn't a big WCW mark back in the day but I certainly remember being able to flip back and forth between Raw and Nitro on Monday nights.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

C. Everett Koop posted:

Hacksaw was a pretty good rugged brawler in Mid-South and drew well there, as I recall. The Sandman comparison is great, though.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Justin Godscock posted:

That's a little strange because I recall, living in Edmonton, that Nitro and Thunder aired at the same time on TBS as in the US and weren't really censored. It was Raw on TSN that was annoying to watch at times because TSN would censor the hell out of the program by cutting to crowd shots and pre-recorded segments if something too extreme began to air (I recall when Jericho broke Chyna's thumb with a hammer in 1999, they cut to Chyna's video entrance and aired that for a bit). SmackDown on UPN was fine, but Raw was almost unwatchable at times.

Then again, I wasn't a big WCW mark back in the day but I certainly remember being able to flip back and forth between Raw and Nitro on Monday nights.

drat you Edmonton!!

I always got Thunder and Saturday Night, but my Nitro watching was depended on TSN which I think was usually playing them on Tuesdays while Raw (in all its heavily edited glory) got the Monday spot. I'm still amused at how much I missed from that period due to Canadian censors (although having watched some of it I wonder if I would have just given up on the product considering how juvenile it became)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CombineThresher posted:

Hacksaw was a pretty good rugged brawler in Mid-South and drew well there, as I recall. The Sandman comparison is great, though.

I have mid south tapes. and yes he was a draw. People HATED him.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The best part of TSN censoring is they would cut to pre-recorded crowd shots, with out of date signs that had nothing to do with what was going on.

The worst part was never getting to see Mae Young put through a table :( Hardcore matches were also hard to watch, since they cut away every weapon hit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
No way. The best was when somebody like Austin or DX would say something bleepable on a live feed and the censors would miss the actual cuss by a mile and censor out the rest.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

No way. The best was when somebody like Austin or DX would say something bleepable on a live feed and the censors would miss the actual cuss by a mile and censor out the rest.

hahaha, true. It wasn't uncommon to hear Road Dogg yelling "YOUR rear end BETTA *bleep bleep bleep*"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Or when they are unsure if Big Show said a racial slur and bleeped it anyways and makes it look bad.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There was the time when Kevin Nash came out to the ring and did a shoot promo and TNT totally missed bleeping everything.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

coconono posted:

There was the time when Kevin Nash came out to the ring and did a shoot promo and TNT totally missed bleeping everything.
I always assumed that was intentional since Russo wanted WCW to be "edgy".

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

I always assumed that was intentional since Russo wanted WCW to be "edgy".

Would Russo have any sort of control over the censors? I thought that sort of thing would be independent and out of their hands.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah that makes sense. I guess the TNT censors were asleep at the switch.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They were probably already exhausted from Scott Steiner's earlier interview.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Would Russo have any sort of control over the censors? I thought that sort of thing would be independent and out of their hands.

It was, this was one of Russo's major excuses for why he couldn't apply his vision to WCW.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MassRanTer posted:

It was, this was one of Russo's major excuses for why he couldn't apply his vision to WCW.

I would have loved to see what Russo could have done with WCW if he had nothing holding him back.

TNA was probably close, but still.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I would have loved to see what Russo could have done with WCW if he had nothing holding him back.

TNA was probably close, but still.

I'm pretty sure Wrestling Society X is about as close as we'll get to Russo's unfiltered vision of wrestling. Exploding everything! Though WSX didn't really have enough convoluted backstage drama I suppose.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm pretty sure Wrestling Society X is about as close as we'll get to Russo's unfiltered vision of wrestling. Exploding everything! Though WSX didn't really have enough convoluted backstage drama I suppose.

Did Russo have anything to do with WSX? I thought it was a fun little show for what it was, didn't feel like a Russo production.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
WSX had matches so it can't be Russo's dream show.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Did Russo have anything to do with WSX? I thought it was a fun little show for what it was, didn't feel like a Russo production.

No he didn't at all, just the matches seemed to be gimmick piled ontop of gimmick (always ending with something exploding).

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The fact that Fabian Kaylan isn't employed by a major wrestling fed is absolute bullshit

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

One time the Nitro censor didn't show up for work and they said poo poo like 5 times in the first hour.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

WSX was the best wrestling promotion ever and I have all of it on DVD. Most of mid 90s WCW like the King of the Road match and Junkyard Invitational would fit right in.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

bobkatt013 posted:

Or when they are unsure if Big Show said a racial slur and bleeped it anyways and makes it look bad.

That was when he called Kaientai "goofs", right? Holy poo poo I remember the IWC exploding over that one.

As far as stupid censors go, the best was when Stone Cold's middle finger got bleeped in 2011.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Justin Godscock posted:

As far as stupid censors go, the best was when Stone Cold's middle finger got bleeped in 2011.

Okay, I'm curious. How the hell do you bleep a GESTURE? Did they split in footage of him playing the guitar instead or something?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Okay, I'm curious. How the hell do you bleep a GESTURE? Did they split in footage of him playing the guitar instead or something?

Generally you mosaic something out, or add a black bar over it. Watch a rap video from the early 90's for a hundred examples of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Generally you mosaic something out, or add a black bar over it. Watch a rap video from the early 90's for a hundred examples of this.

Or any WWE Attitude era footage released from 2002-2012.