Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

So HoD is pretty sweet. However, I feel like there's still two underlying issues with Vic2 that haven't really been changed; the AI and the status quo in nations. The AI is pretty self explanatory with dominions and nonsensical annexations (ie Spanish Hedjaz), hopefully that's fine tuned or whatever. The other issue is really, the lack of progress in the game. The new colonial/crisis systems is a big step in the right direction, but I feel like nations are kind of static, lacking in some of the historical basis that could manipulate events set in motion at the start of the game. Not through determinism, just a bit more of a push to get things in motion. Good example may be the USCA never collapsing, I'd like to be able to enable it or prevent it from happening and see what the AI does about it through each game. Another might be the Egyptian-Ottoman war and the interventions within it, instead it remains static and unchanging, besides Ankara occasionally swapping over.

Events like the first might be more interesting with a bit more flavour than anything, events and other things taking advantage of the pop system through militancy and other stuff. The second could probably use the crisis system, but instead on a regional scale. I'd love some sort of CB that instead of acquiring a single state, seeks to acquire every state you've got a core on. The Ottomans could declare war to take back what's theirs, and the Europeans could initiate a crisis to intervene on whatever side. Maybe the crisis system could be extended to include ongoing wars and intervention in them? This sort of CB would also allow the USA to take the entirely of the Mexican cession, instead of one or two states at a time. On the sake of pretty borders, I'd still love to see the acquire core CB only take what's actually your cores, instead of entire states. It really doesn't make sense for a nation to annex an entire state when they've only got a single province in it with a core.

Obligatory :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How do you raise organization in the early game? My starting armies always run at a sliver of green in their bars when marching around. The attrition is also loving out of control. Also how do you make your ships not fall apart on a trip across the ocean and how do you repair afterwards? I would put them in a naval base and have military spending at 100% and nothing would happen. Vicky 2 is a tad bit more detailed than Eu3 and ck2

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 18, 2013

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Kablammo posted:

Meanwhile, the King of Mongolia relaxes in his new Solid Gold palace. Mongolia was now the richest, most prestigious country on Earth. In the past few days he had received praise from the UK, USA, Russia and every other great power worldwide about the prestige of the Kingdom of Mongolia and how no other country would ever match its importance. In between sips of the finest wine from France and some excellent Cuban-American cigars he patted himself on the back for sending Mongolia's 2 regiments of irregulars across allied Russia and reinforcing a fight between Russia and the UK with 10:1 superiority in numbers. He also reminded himself how nice it was that Britain's ambassadors has the IQ of a yak and offered him the full surrender of the British, Ottoman, German alliance so that Mongolia's 2 regiments would exit the war.

whoa. you dont happen to have an early autosaves before this peace deal. it sounds pretty dopey ;D

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Not to interrupt Heart of Darkness chat, but EvW Dev Diary 6 has arrived, with a focus on land units. I'm starting to wonder if we're actually going to see anything on non-combat related aspects of the game.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

YouTuber posted:

How do you raise organization in the early game? My starting armies always run at a sliver of green in their bars when matching around. Also how do you make your babies not fall apart on a trip across the ocean and how do you repair afterwards? I would put them in a naval base and have military spending at 100% and nothing would happen. Vicky 2 is a tad bit more detailed than Eu3 and ck2

Military spending just pays your troops' wages. If you want to have organisation/repair/reinforce, you need to have the army/navy national stockpile sliders (or the single national stockpile slider, if you're not playing HoD for some strange reason) set to a higher value - you should really try to keep those at max during wartime, and not reduce them to nothing during peacetime.

As for ships disintegrating due to attrition when you send them across the ocean, research techs that make your boats faster and (if possible) make stops along the way - if you can persuade Portugal or the UK to give you military access, you can stop off at the Azores or Bermuda or something and patch some holes in your hulls.

Attrition you'll just have to deal with, until you can research techs which reduce it. Try and keep your armies below the supply limit (a province can support 1000 dudes per point of supply limit, plus a little bit more if you're using a general with attrition reduction) unless you need to concentrate force to fight things, and don't go traipsing around through enemy territory if you can help it, just park a stack in a border province and don't move it until you win the siege/you really need that stack somewhere else.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ThePutty posted:

Good example may be the USCA never collapsing, I'd like to be able to enable it or prevent it from happening and see what the AI does about it through each game. Another might be the Egyptian-Ottoman war and the interventions within it, instead it remains static and unchanging, besides Ankara occasionally swapping over.

I see at least El Salvador breaking away every game, and in my current one Nicaragua did as well.

Also Cuba broke off from Spain all on its own...good job, Rebels! I'm so fond of the much tougher HOD rebels and how they're not the pushovers rebels were in AHD.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Patter Song posted:

I see at least El Salvador breaking away every game, and in my current one Nicaragua did as well.

Also Cuba broke off from Spain all on its own...good job, Rebels! I'm so fond of the much tougher HOD rebels and how they're not the pushovers rebels were in AHD.

I see Nicaragua break off occasionally, but the USCA remains pretty static on it's own despite anything breaking off it. That's the issue I've got, really. All or nothing, perhaps.

Kavak posted:

Not to interrupt Heart of Darkness chat, but EvW Dev Diary 6 has arrived, with a focus on land units. I'm starting to wonder if we're actually going to see anything on non-combat related aspects of the game.

Also five of the six starting points are wars so yeah it's gonna suck :suicide:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Kavak posted:

So other than that update where we learned about policies, culture groups, religious groups and the like, have we had any other noncombat DDs? Like, one about how to expand your power/influence in the world nonviolently? Hell I don't even know if the simplistic faction mechanics from HoI3 are in the game. I assume they are but I have no reason to think they've been changed much at all.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

How do flashpoints become crises? I'm playing as Greece and want to nag the Turks about Thessalia. Tension is sitting at 100%. Do I click a button somewhere or will this be automatic?

VVV Thanks!

Smirr fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 18, 2013

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Smirr posted:

How do flashpoints become crises? I'm playing as Greece and want to nag the Turks about Thessalia. Tension is sitting at 100%. Do I click a button somewhere or will this be automatic?

It just happens. There's a cooldown period between crisis' so you might have to wait a while. I'm not sure how it determines which crisis gets to go first.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
So AI aggression has finally been exported to defines. Time to scale this value up by a couple orders of magnitude and watch the fun commence :getin:

Darkrenown posted:

It was a great joke that others in the thread enjoyed, you are bad at getting jokes :colbert:
I'll accept that.

podcat posted:

whoa. you dont happen to have an early autosaves before this peace deal. it sounds pretty dopey ;D
AHD used to do this too, from time to time. Peace-ing out with a minor nation who wouldn't admit defeat would mean Great War Capitulation still applied to your alliance while the Great War was still being fought. I never saw the AI accept a deal like this, but the AI would offer it to me and I accepted it the first time because I'm a dope and thought they were offering to capitulate (has localization been fixed for this? It's very ambiguous in those offers as to who is going to capitulate. It doesn't say You Will Capitulate or We Will Capitulate, just Great War Capitulation).

Friend Commuter posted:

As for ships disintegrating due to attrition when you send them across the ocean, research techs that make your boats faster and (if possible) make stops along the way - if you can persuade Portugal or the UK to give you military access, you can stop off at the Azores or Bermuda or something and patch some holes in your hulls.
This is the age of coaling stations, so make use of military access and colonies. Cape Colony was seized by the British from the Dutch literally just so they'd have a stopover point for ships coming and going to India. Even after Suez was opened, 2/3 of all India sea traffic went around the Cape.

Kavak posted:

I'm ready to jump to the conclusion that there isn't a non-combat related aspect of this game.

Smirr posted:

VVV Thanks!
There's 18 months between crises. It's in defines.lua, so you can change it. I'm thinking of setting mine at about 3 months just to see what happens, but mostly I'm just trying to break the game until the patch gets here. Also thinking of removing the GPs at War drain on tension since it applies to any GP in any war.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 18, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's ridiculously easy to form Scandinavia now, since you don't need to control Finland even if you don't abandon the cores there, and Prussia no longer immediately takes back Holstein. All you need to do is become a GP and then sphere Denmark. You still get to keep all the cores on Finland, so you can take them back when you're strong enough to face Mother Russia.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DrProsek posted:

So other than that update where we learned about policies, culture groups, religious groups and the like, have we had any other noncombat DDs? Like, one about how to expand your power/influence in the world nonviolently? Hell I don't even know if the simplistic faction mechanics from HoI3 are in the game. I assume they are but I have no reason to think they've been changed much at all.

We had stuff on the map (Each province has a single resource like Victoria, I think) and art design, but otherwise no. Release date is still TBC, which is a little worrisome since it's been that way for two months now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, Wolfgang Pauli, I figured out what was wrong with your mod, turns out V2 wasn't reading it because it had a - in its name. PM'ed you on the Paradox forums with a fixed version as I don't have platinum.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

There's 18 months between crises. It's in defines.lua, so you can change it. I'm thinking of setting mine at about 3 months just to see what happens, but mostly I'm just trying to break the game until the patch gets here. Also thinking of removing the GPs at War drain on tension since it applies to any GP in any war.

GPs at war only looks at GPs with capitals on the same continent as the flashpoint, so for example the US being at war with Japan doesn't affect Serbia wanting their cores from Austria. But the idea is if the GPs are at war they're not going to care about whatever some minor nation is upset about.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Fister Roboto posted:

It's ridiculously easy to form Scandinavia now, since you don't need to control Finland even if you don't abandon the cores there, and Prussia no longer immediately takes back Holstein. All you need to do is become a GP and then sphere Denmark. You still get to keep all the cores on Finland, so you can take them back when you're strong enough to face Mother Russia.

It works the same way in AHD, except Prussia always takes Holstein, of course.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It took me about 18 years to get all of my cores back from the Ottomans without firing a single shot, which honestly felt a little overpowered. Then again, most other crises I've seen where only the AI is involved usually go absolutely nowhere, so reducing the interval might yield interesting results.

And now my long period of loving over the Turks at no cost to me at all has finally come to an end. For some reason, they weren't willing to part with the state that Izmir (or Σμύρνη, rather :getin:) is in peacefully. Just as my various factions were replaced by the various kommata, and my interventionist conservative party was replaced by a laissez faire one, capping my taxes at 50%. Not a great time to be losing money hand over fist. I hate laissez faire parties.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

:staredog:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Good job. Now good luck with the rest of the France, UK, Russia, and Austria.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Tag over to France and check what their army techs look like.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So what is the ideal army comprised of in HoD (as in, the ratio of recon/infantry/artillery units)? I was going one for one with infantry and artillery for some reason, but I am sure that isn't right.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Friend Commuter posted:

Tag over to France and check what their army techs look like.

France is behind me in the tactics and organization lines, but on par with me in the others. It's just that these are conscripts, I already killed most of France's professional army.

Not that France doesn't occasionally win battles against me:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Patter Song posted:

France is behind me in the tactics and organization lines, but on par with me in the others. It's just that these are conscripts, I already killed most of France's professional army.

Not that France doesn't occasionally win battles against me:

Defenders in a fort with artillery do indeed gently caress up human waves.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
With EvW I think they're going with the intensity of the Cold War, which a lot of people (here) may not remember. That's just my thoughts. Plus I'm loving the grognardyness of it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Defenders in a fort with artillery do indeed gently caress up human waves.

The fact that every day of entrenchment is a -1 shift in all rolls to the attacker (limited by tech) seemed to me to be appallingly good.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
The more I read about EvW the more I think about the possibility of never having Reagan, Thatcher and set Palestine free :twisted:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So what is the ideal army comprised of in HoD (as in, the ratio of recon/infantry/artillery units)? I was going one for one with infantry and artillery for some reason, but I am sure that isn't right.

Depends on the era. Pre-1870 my army usually consists of 10 brigades. 2 infantry, 2 artillery, 2 dragoons (or hussars if you can afford them), 2 engineers, and 2 curiassers. After 1870 curiassiers get a lot less effective, so I switch them out for guards. Late game, replace your dragoons/hussars with airplanes and your guards with tanks. This has served me pretty well in all my wars.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Could anyone recommend a good starter nation for Vic 2? One that I can learn the ropes with.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

WMain00 posted:

Could anyone recommend a good starter nation for Vic 2? One that I can learn the ropes with.

I think the usual candidate is Brazil, there's really no wars you will be forced to fight in, the Europeans will leave you alone, and they are usually the largest/most populated country in South America. And, as a "new world" nation, they have a huge immigration bonus if you become a democracy.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

WMain00 posted:

I've always liked Belgium. They have the resources required for basic industry, a small amount of area to defend, and a decent population and literacy. The only difficulty is beating the netherlands if they don't give up their cores on you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I'd say equal amounts of infantry and artillery, four guards, and one recon and engineer for every 10 units total.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Might have overlooked this somewhere, but is there a way to start your own crises? As Japan it's not hard to come up with CB on other Asian states, but it'd be cool to do it within the context of a crisis.

I have to say I"m a little disappointed that the newspapers don't have an Extra! edition when a major world event happens. I learned about the American Civil War several months after it started. It would be really cool to see polished SimCity 2000 style newspapers with randomized flavor text..

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

WMain00 posted:

Sweden if you have HOD, they are now probably the best newbie country to play. Otherwise i'll say Brazil or USA.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

BillBear posted:

Sweden if you have HOD, they are now probably the best newbie country to play. Otherwise i'll say Brazil or USA.

Even in AHD Sweden is pretty good. Super-high literacy, compact population, and they start the game with a State Capitalism party in power, so you can build some good factories right at the start to help jumpstart your score.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm still clutching to the hope that EvW is going to be more than just warfare, because they keep dropping little tantalizing hints about it. They focus on almost nothing but warfare in the DDs, but then you have a couple interviews where they've said that they have a deep system for politics in place (that they didn't elaborate on) and this latest DD, where they say:

quote:

However, the Cold War was actually a long period of relative peace in the world, especially if you look at major wars between countries.
That doesn't really say anything about the game, but if the developers are aware that there wasn't a ton of warfare, maybe they take that into account... It's basically clutching at straws, but it's something.

I don't know, I'll probably buy it either way if it's just like 20 bucks or so because I still like wargames like Darkest Hour and March of the Eagles, but I won't pay more than that if it's just a wargame with no real political maneuvering.

I wonder if they Paradox could give them the rights to implement a HoD crisis-like system? It seems like that system would work really well in the Cold War, with a bit of tweaking.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

WMain00 posted:

First time "oh god how do I Victoria" nations:

Prussia: Centrally located (no OPM islands scattered across the world), clear route of expansion (found the North German Federation, then the German Empire), with possibilities to expand anywhere else (wanna unite with the Austrians? The Scandinavians? Crush the French? End the Russian empire? The world is your oyster!), safe-ish Great Power.

Austria: Not as powerful as Prussia, but plenty strong and more centralized (no horde of sphered nations). Can easily turn Ottomans into whipping boy.

New England: Release it as the USA; it plays a bit like a smaller version of it. No real threats so long as USA and GB don't despise you. First though, start as the UK, do the decision to give Caribou to the USA, tag over to the USA and release New England. Otherwise you will have New English New England the whole game and feel dumb.

Sweden: Nobody really messes with your poo poo, your literacy is fantastic, and if you become a great power and sphere Denmark, you can become Scandinavia easily.

Once you learned a bit about the game:

Japan: You can easily westernize and then fight your way to great power-hood

USCA: Form your liberal democracy by slaughtering hordes of nationalists!

Papal States/Two Sicilies: Become a great power, unite Italy

Spain: Stay a great power, form Iberia.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

quote:

However, the Cold War was actually a long period of relative peace in the world, especially if you look at major wars between countries.

This quote really bothers me. Decolonization wars, Korea, Vietnam, Suez Crisis, Arab-Israeli War, countless struggles in Africa, Falklands, Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. It's like the game is being made by people who think, "well, the US and USSR never went to war, therefore there were 50 years of peace!"

EvW looks pretty terrible and I seriously doubt there's any real substance backing up their hollow claims of "deep political system." If anything it's a clone of the HoI3 political system.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm still clutching to the hope that EvW is going to be more than just warfare, because they keep dropping little tantalizing hints about it. They focus on almost nothing but warfare in the DDs, but then you have a couple interviews where they've said that they have a deep system for politics in place (that they didn't elaborate on) and this latest DD, where they say:

That doesn't really say anything about the game, but if the developers are aware that there wasn't a ton of warfare, maybe they take that into account... It's basically clutching at straws, but it's something.

That just isn't true though. The trend since 1945 is more and more frequent 'local' wars with lower casualty rates overall.

The world only looks 'peaceful' if you view it from the perspective of Western Europe having broken the cycle of every 20-30 years throwing a rifle into the hands of every adult male and having a royal rumble with everyone involved. Everywhere else got more violent.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

:psyduck:

Conservative swine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Darkrenown posted:

GPs at war only looks at GPs with capitals on the same continent as the flashpoint, so for example the US being at war with Japan doesn't affect Serbia wanting their cores from Austria. But the idea is if the GPs are at war they're not going to care about whatever some minor nation is upset about.
Ah. Thanks for the explanation. I'm still going to turn it off and see what happens because ~science.~ I mean, there were tons of flashpoints that i.e. Dizzy or Gladstone had to deal with all at once. Juggling Afghanistan with the Transvaal with Egypt with Ireland, and so on. I figure it'd still make sense for crises to compete with each other but not with other wars.

ZearothK posted:

Hey, Wolfgang Pauli, I figured out what was wrong with your mod, turns out V2 wasn't reading it because it had a - in its name. PM'ed you on the Paradox forums with a fixed version as I don't have platinum.
Thank you! That's really weird, because common reads just fine. It's just history that's being a butt.

WMain00 posted:

Czech out the USCA. Rebel problems seem a bit wobbly with HoD's release, so it should be a pretty placid start with plenty of room for expansion. Just make sure Mexico isn't a butt and you should be fine.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have to say I"m a little disappointed that the newspapers don't have an Extra! edition when a major world event happens. I learned about the American Civil War several months after it started. It would be really cool to see polished SimCity 2000 style newspapers with randomized flavor text..
They do! If there are enough important stories the game will release an extra edition. I've had papers full of wars decs come out one day after the other.

• Locked thread