Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

THNDRTHF posted:

i thought the beat was kinda turnt up

the rubber bandit makes tight poo poo who the gently caress are you

post hot beats or :frogout:

page 34 girlscout tagalong rear end motherfucker

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
ok i forgive you even if you smell like a fat girls pussy

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

THNDRTHF posted:

ok i forgive you even if you smell like a fat girls pussy

haha I didn't realize saying you thought something sounded generic would make everyone so assmad.

Working on a new track hot beats incoming

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I think your posting is generic because you don't support your wack opinion with any lame pointers. It's unhelpful criticism.

It does no good to say "your beat is generic". You have no authority on the subject as far as I know - prove me wrong and I will take it back. No, actually I probably won't.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
now we can't get his hot beats because he's probated. this is some bullshit.

Actually it makes it even more interesting. When he comes back he be all like "you wanna hear beats from a rebel guy who fought the system and got probated? :smuggo:".

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

This kid Snakehips is making some of the best poo poo right now.

https://soundcloud.com/snakehips-1/on-on
https://soundcloud.com/snakehips-1/miss-u-always

Instrumentals but still fuuuuuuuuck

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Where's your condom now?!
Run peep game on this track I co-produced, a teaser for an upcoming double-mixtape release from the Dopamine Knights

https://soundcloud.com/knightsofthecrunktable/ronzo-kick-another-one-feat

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Here's another teaser, for the other side of said double-mixtape. This one is real hype to balance out Ronzo's chill vibes.

https://soundcloud.com/knightsofthecrunktable/ace-adams-guerrilla-tactics

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Lindsay Lowend ya'll
https://soundcloud.com/lindsay-lowend/bib-take-my-heart-keat

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

The Rubberbandit posted:

Here's another teaser, for the other side of said double-mixtape. This one is real hype to balance out Ronzo's chill vibes.

https://soundcloud.com/knightsofthecrunktable/ace-adams-guerrilla-tactics

this is on some diet swizz poo poo, if you could step up the energy a little in the drums this poo poo is hot

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
you wanna hear beats from a rebel guy who fought the system and got probated? :smug:

Honestly tho, I've been working on beats. Also, you're right, "generic" is a lovely criticism, and it's pretty lazy. I concede.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
OH WORD SON???

e: for proclick hater poo poo

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 22, 2013

Ladle Lady
Apr 28, 2006

Videogames Are Great!
Hey guys, it's me again. I just put a mixtape out last night featuring production from Chwoka and Ayatollah Hermione. I'd really appreciate it if I could get some analysis on what I can improve about my mixing process, writing, presentation...anything really. Thanks in advance for taking a look

Ladle Lady fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 23, 2013

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
this is the best animated gif cover i ever seen

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Ladle Lady posted:

Hey guys, it's me again. I just put a mixtape out last night featuring production from Chwoka, Ayatollah Hermione and Lanzy. I'd really appreciate it if I could get some analysis on what I can improve about my mixing process, writing, presentation...anything really. Thanks in advance for taking a look

Yeah that album cover is dope as hell.

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008

Ladle Lady posted:

Hey guys, it's me again. I just put a mixtape out last night featuring production from Chwoka and Ayatollah Hermione. I'd really appreciate it if I could get some analysis on what I can improve about my mixing process, writing, presentation...anything really. Thanks in advance for taking a look

You've gotten better at rapping, the confidence comes through on the track.

I am interested in your recording setup. Did you just do the vocal mixing or more of the track(s)? The first thing I noticed on most of the songs was a lot of reverb on the vocals. Used as an effect on some songs, sure, but the reverb seemed similar from song to song, and not interesting in any case. Are you setting up a separate track as a vocal reverb bus, or just adding it to an existing vocal track? Consider using delay plugins in place of reverb, or in combination.

I also noticed lots of doubled vocals that were not properly lined up. It sounds sloppy and in some cases diminishes the impact of the lyrics. Some songs didn't have this problem though.

I think all of your vocals could use another 3+ dB of compression on a master vocal bus. It would make the vocals more intimate and present, and really blend/polish those hooks where you have two or more takes at once.

Overall the mixtape is cohesive, but the vocals don't jump out at all. In some cases the beat almost drowns them out.

If you're alright with it I would love to try my hand at mixing a song off the mixtape, for your reference only (well, mine too!)

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
my homie Goldini Bagwell with the first single off his upcoming album "Second Hand Smoke" (follow up project of "Chainsmoke") produced by Finland's finest Pmpee Beats

Ladle Lady
Apr 28, 2006

Videogames Are Great!

The Rubberbandit posted:

You've gotten better at rapping, the confidence comes through on the track.

I am interested in your recording setup. Did you just do the vocal mixing or more of the track(s)? The first thing I noticed on most of the songs was a lot of reverb on the vocals. Used as an effect on some songs, sure, but the reverb seemed similar from song to song, and not interesting in any case. Are you setting up a separate track as a vocal reverb bus, or just adding it to an existing vocal track? Consider using delay plugins in place of reverb, or in combination.

I also noticed lots of doubled vocals that were not properly lined up. It sounds sloppy and in some cases diminishes the impact of the lyrics. Some songs didn't have this problem though.

I think all of your vocals could use another 3+ dB of compression on a master vocal bus. It would make the vocals more intimate and present, and really blend/polish those hooks where you have two or more takes at once.

Overall the mixtape is cohesive, but the vocals don't jump out at all. In some cases the beat almost drowns them out.

If you're alright with it I would love to try my hand at mixing a song off the mixtape, for your reference only (well, mine too!)

thanks for your insight, i'm glad to hear things are improving, haha.
i'm just adding the reverb to the vocals directly, yeah. I'll try the delay thing. the doubled vocals not exactly lining up was a conscious choice but yeah, I can see how it wouldn't work for someone hearing the songs initially. I'll definitely try putting the vocals more forward in future songs and yeah, please take a crack at a mix on any tracks you want to. I'd love to hear it.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
My friend made a thing.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73581334/burgh%20dec%2020%20-%203.wav
Does anyone like it.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

an skeleton posted:

Does anyone like it.

Nope, and nobody ever will

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Jesus H Nyce posted:

Nope, and nobody ever will

:( any constructive criticism or is it beyond repair

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008

Ladle Lady posted:

... and yeah, please take a crack at a mix on any tracks you want to. I'd love to hear it.

Gimme yo e-mail

or better yet shoot the stems to whichever song you would like me to mix to the.moses.manuel at gmail

(stems = individual tracks stripped of effects)

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

an skeleton posted:

:( any constructive criticism or is it beyond repair

It's pretty horrible, but mostly just because of the melody. The drums are almost not horrible, but theres that random rimshot thats like 20x louder than everything else.

The HH pattern is actually hot. Besides the HH and 808 kick the samples being used are warm sewage.

Mix is wierd. The main "bell" noise is cool, the bassline gotta go bruh. Also the "lead" synth is just meandering through the brothel.

Mostly the problem is that it's really incohesive (word?) meaning it's almost like bad jazz where nothing is really fitting together. Tell your boy to make 100 more beats and get back at me.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I'm just curious - does anyone in here actually listen to a rap song before they sit down and decide to be Dr. Dre or are you just freestyling out of your own mind?

It's good to do both, but if you want to succeed in anything your style has to be rooted in history, at least somewhat. You can be "avante-garde" all day but you have to know the rules before you break them.

Also, at it's core, hiphop is still MUSIC, so if the melody sounds like a cat getting buttfucked you may want to rethink your beat. Just saying...

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Sorry, yeah, thats my friends beat as I said and I have tried to tell him before that he needs to be more formulaic, as it were, in the making of his beats. He has better ones, too, but thats just his most recent one that he decided to post on facebook. He doesn't listen to my critiques I don't think so I figured it would be better coming from a semi-pro.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
naw don't be sorry it's not just you brah

NEW TOPIC:

What's the process when you sit down to make a beat?

ME:

I usually spark something, load up a program, either Ableton or Reason, and try to make some drums that I like. Then I usually play around and find a melody /sample that makes sense.

or

Sometimes I will start with a sample, and chop it until it sounds hood. Then I layer the drums afterwards. It depends on my mood.

What's your method?

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

THNDRTHF posted:

NEW TOPIC:

Usually I'll start with either a sample or bang out a melody on the keyboard, then layer in some simple drum patterns to get a better idea of where I want to take it. Once I have the skeleton, I'll work with / modify the melody until I get it sounding right before I add a bass line to it. Once the bass sounds good, I go back and make my drums more complex / fuller to match the bass and melody better. Then I'll go back over then next few days / weeks to add to it as I come up with ways to improve it. Or it sits in my unfinished queue and I never return to it.

That's on a good day. Usually it goes : Play something on keyboard, realize it sucks, try to make it sound better, realize that I suck and question my abilities, serendipity happens and I somehow makes something that sounds decent, realize that I just played the melody to an old Motown song I like, listen to that song, realize that they are better musicians than me, weep

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Ladle Lady posted:

I'm curious if the overly frequent punch-ins is a stylistic choice or a crutch to avoid having to know your verse well enough to spit it straight through.
I only played the first track. I'm just very turned off by punch-ins unless it's clearly done for style purposes and not every bar.

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008

THNDRTHF posted:

NEW TOPIC:

If I am making my own beat from scratch,
Randomly hear something I want to sample, or listen through movie soundtracks and videos to find something I want to sample. Load into FL Studio, chop out samples I want, further chop and arrange samples into song format. Add drums- usually in the order kick, snare-type, hats/cymbals, percussion. At some point I go through everything adding plugins and mixing. If I'm really feeling it Ill keep working and arrange the entire song, adding an intro and outro, transitions, etc. Then, upload the beat to soundcloud within a day.

Mixing a song from stems is pretty different, I could outline that too if there is interest.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

THNDRTHF posted:

First I loop a sample I think might work, then I find some old drums and try to chop those on top of it. Then I just keep the loop running for hours as I throw every sample I can find at the track, chopping and muting and soloing and filtering as I go. (I usually end up throwing away the original sample.) Then, when I think the loop can't take any more, I expand it into a track. The intro is usually just me adding one or two elements at a time until I have the basic groove set up, and I spend the rest of the song going through the different elements I ended up thinking were nice in a way that develops.

Ladle Lady
Apr 28, 2006

Videogames Are Great!

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I'm curious if the overly frequent punch-ins is a stylistic choice or a crutch to avoid having to know your verse well enough to spit it straight through.
I only played the first track. I'm just very turned off by punch-ins unless it's clearly done for style purposes and not every bar.
That's the only song that kind of thing is done on. I was attempting to do that cliche thing where 'it sounds like two dudes but it's actually one!!!' and clearly it didn't work this time. I definitely, definitively memorize each verse in and out before I record.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I've been doing this thing lately where I just write one liners in my phone and save them up for a couple months.

Then when I have a good beat that I like I get really loving high and whip out my droid and kind of use it as a prompt for freestyle. After I get a lovely version down I listen to it for a few days and find the spots to tighten up, I improve on the delivery and any punchlines / rhymes that didn't work.

Then I re-record it and have a little more polished verse that sounds alot more dynamic compared to if I had written it outright on paper. It's a little different than how I used to do it, but still comes out p good. Just a thought.

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember
That on that day, at that hour, I shall lift my arms
And my roots will set off to seek another land

THNDRTHF posted:

naw don't be sorry it's not just you brah

NEW TOPIC:

Usually roll one up/pack a bowl, browse through some random poo poo on my itunes for a sample, smash out a beat and melody (if i've got one at the time), add layers for different parts of the song and then i post it on soundcloud :haw:

The newest: https://soundcloud.com/majinjuu/cold

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
woah where the gently caress have you been hiding out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic