Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I think I'm just going to have to resolve not to make a slime weapon because that sounds just silly and a bit pointless.

Except maybe as a nuclear option/gently caress The World Lever analogue, where The World is Rathalos' wind pressure spamming rear end in a top hat gently caress that guy

The crimson peco set makes you immune to the wind gusts.

Azure rathalos is even more of a gigantic rear end in a top hat than the regular one though. "Hey let's make it so that he spends even more time in the air and can chain air attacks indefinitely." gently caress.

Also it makes me really sad that the WiiU game is on a decade old engine but some online side-project is on a completely new engine that looks way better. Art style is really muddy though, giving me serious path of exile vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

RuBisCO posted:

Soo, this just happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxd_V1P_Vhs
Monster Hunter Online, Capcom/Tencent developed on the Cry3 engine.

I played Frontier in Korean for years and I'm already ready to shunt what little life I have left to play this if it comes out as some non-sub pay model.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

RuBisCO posted:

Soo, this just happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxd_V1P_Vhs
Monster Hunter Online, Capcom/Tencent developed on the Cry3 engine.

:iia:

They could have stylized it some more, it's got too much of that generic high budget asian MMO (Tera, Blade and Soul) look to it.

quote:

Monster Hunter Online is a new free-to-play MMO heading to China

So place your bets that it will take a year+ to get over here, have split US and EU servers, be run by terrible companies like Frogster that take ages to patch in updates and be dragged down by grind and an item store that take all the fun out of the game :smith:

Carecat fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 18, 2013

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Welp I used to play Ragnarok Online before it was toned back a tiny bit for western shores, so I'm used to hunting for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours for that 0.0001% drop rate card I needed.

Oh, and Maple Story too.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
As awesome as it is, I doubt it would ever have an english release.

Thanks Capcom.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The animations and hit sounds in that trailer are poo poo.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
From looking around for forum posts to find details posters are unhappy with the animations, comparing them to pre Tri.

Also found someone claiming there is a monster that takes 24 players to fight.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 18, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Carecat posted:

Also found someone claiming there is a monster that takes 24 players to fight.

This already exists, it's Raviente

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
Tencent's involvement is actually pretty good news. They are all over the freemium business model, and hopefully their experience in that field means paid content will mostly be cosmetic and boosts. Don't get your hopes up though.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Tencent: Well, see we've arranged for the free game with microtransactions for graphical changes to housing and outfi...
Capcom: POOGI CUFFS

I honestly don't see Capcom allowing it to move without the pay2win model. It doesn't matter, since we'll never see it, but still.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
$5 to unlock G. Wroggi and finish the HR1 urgent!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I want to make a hat and pants out of the beaver.

Beaver-monster armor and dual swords:

"Hammer":

Female armor:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Mailer posted:

I honestly don't see Capcom allowing it to move without the pay2win model. It doesn't matter, since we'll never see it, but still.

Do you say that based off Frontier? Is there approach to make the game really grindy to keep people paying for subscriptions?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
The hammer needs to be a tree with the roots as the actual hammer-y bit.

The giant woodsman axe could be the greatsword.

Sword and shield needs to be a switch and a trunk shield ala the hobbit movie.

Hunting horn needs to be a beaver's tail.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Wozbo posted:

Hunting horn needs to be a beaver's tail.

And it plays this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=for0u9yFcrI

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Oh god it's going to be Frontier all over again. C'mon Capcom please localize this poo poo I don't want to steal someone's ID to play it. :negative:

In MH3U news, I found out my group could do Jhen Moran Hi-Rank and it was amazing. Beat the fucker with 15 seconds left.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
I am trying to get my feet wet with this and I learned 25 hours in about chart tables. Can I still use the calculator to determine the table, or does it have to be from the first available fishing session on?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Bitch Twinkles posted:

I am trying to get my feet wet with this and I learned 25 hours in about chart tables. Can I still use the calculator to determine the table, or does it have to be from the first available fishing session on?
You're fine to check whenever. I'm pretty sure it's just checking the haul against the list of possible hauls for a certain chart table.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I really really hope this is subscription based if it ever comes to the west. The freemium model is so gross and seems so easy to "get wrong" with Monster Hunter, I don't trust it.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

ImpactVector posted:

You're fine to check whenever. I'm pretty sure it's just checking the haul against the list of possible hauls for a certain chart table.

Ballin'. I would have considered restarting if I couldn't, but I know my girlfriend would probably be too discouraged to continue haha.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So I made it to HR4 a couple of days ago, but people I play with are still HR3. Turns out you can bring HR3 people along on your HR4 quests, neat! It also turns out there's a high level event quest to hunt "Colorful Monsters." At a glance it involved a Rath, Baggi, and maybe a Baleful Gigginox or something. It also requires HR3 or higher only! So we stocked up on potions and lifepowders and traps.

And promptly get ambushed by some extra-fast sorta-Barioth cat-bat-scorpion that none of us have ever seen. We capture it, right as a Brachydios shows up, which two of the group have never seen. We fight it, and towards the end, Rathalos shows up. Luckily he wanders off to the next area, and we trap the Brach. But something's wrong, the quest counter is stuck at 1/3. We engage the Rathalos at the nest, end up trapping it, and the quest counter's at 2/3.

Figuring the Brach was just a random and that the final enemy's hiding by the water areas, we jump down from the nest, but there's suddenly this ninja tiger that shoots homing electricity orbs at us doing backflips and roundhouse kicks :monocle: He avoids our last trap and leaves the area, but we did end up kicking his rear end in the end, and carve megapotions since event quests are jerks like that it seems.

This game is the best :v:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Brett824 posted:

I really really hope this is subscription based if it ever comes to the west. The freemium model is so gross and seems so easy to "get wrong" with Monster Hunter, I don't trust it.

They could go the GW2 route. Charge for the game, then let you trade cash for materials to make sweet-looking armor and weapons that aren't significantly better stat-wise than the stuff you can get by just playing.

They probably won't, but they could.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Freemium credits to buy village RP, or directly buying consumables (like traps) so you don't need to buy/collect/craft, makes perfect sense to me. Or even using funbux for purchasing meals would make sense. Plus stupid Chun Li outfits that are reskins of existing armor statswise, people would buy that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
$10 to buy a set of rare monster parts! Plates sold separately!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'd rather see them put CryEngine to use on a MH4 proper. Put it out for more powerful hardware.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How far do I need to be in single player before I've upgraded all the canteen foods as high as I can get? I know I have to go to port for some of them, I just don't know how much further to go. I just started high rank village, for reference.

renojiin
Oct 26, 2005
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

How far do I need to be in single player before I've upgraded all the canteen foods as high as I can get? I know I have to go to port for some of them, I just don't know how much further to go. I just started high rank village, for reference.

HR8 in single player is the last one, I believe. I need to get that one, and the one in HR7 and HR8 in the port :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not sure, but there's a lot of Canteen quests online too so I think you have to play both to max it out.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I'd guess that they will heavily tone down how much you can do with the farm and the amount of money you get given so there will be a lot more grinding for resources and cash. Rarity levels will have bigger stat differences, Armor spheres will be more work to acquire.

The 15-30 minute fights would fit free to play quite well with the first win of the day idea that has been popular.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I hope if they do a freemium model they make the game normally first, then just add money things as a supplement to normal farming.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Chronojam posted:

I hope if they do a freemium model they make the game normally first, then just add money things as a supplement to normal farming.

They could make all the money just by offering parts for sale on a sliding scale based on their rarity.

You can drop five bucks for a three-pack of Rathalos Rubies, or you can grind until you hate everything that has ever lived.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

They could make all the money just by offering parts for sale on a sliding scale based on their rarity.

You can drop five bucks for a three-pack of Rathalos Rubies, or you can grind until you hate everything that has ever lived.

Nah, $0.99 for a random gem...oh sorry you wanted Rathalos but got Rathian...

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

treeboy posted:

This idea is great. I don't know how much I blew on packs in Mass Effect 3 and never got what I wanted. I've probably bought the game a time or two over for a chance at something I want. If you make the purchase items to specific towards sets then its no good, more like narrow it towards a rare leviathan drops, harder ranks at a lower chance.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

treeboy posted:

How is this any different from farming monsters, but instead of fighting a monster you are throwing money into a hole.

Perform X, have Y% chance of getting Z: Now With Real Money!

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Machai posted:

How is this any different from farming monsters, but instead of fighting a monster you are throwing money into a hole.

Let me introduce you to a little concept called gambling...

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Man, so I made the Dios Gunlance first...then tried to go back and fight him with it. Protip: Brachy is a gigantic son of a bitch when it comes to gunlance.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Brett824 posted:

Let me introduce you to a little concept called gambling...

Except it's not because you don't win anything either way, if that's gambling so is getting a random toy from one of those gumball-like machines.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Figuring the Brach was just a random and that the final enemy's hiding by the water areas, we jump down from the nest, but there's suddenly this ninja tiger that shoots homing electricity orbs at us doing backflips and roundhouse kicks :monocle: He avoids our last trap and leaves the area, but we did end up kicking his rear end in the end, and carve megapotions since event quests are jerks like that it seems.

If the quest has three or four monsters as targets, you'll only get mega potions from carves or shiny drops. Incidental creatures like Popo and Kelbi will only carve up rations. Not sure why the game does this, but there you go.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Machai posted:

because it's monetized? You can still fight the monster, but if you're sick of your 100th Azure Rath you can spend some kind of in-game hard currency to take some of the effort out. Though I'm guessing there'd be a few steps in between to somewhat mask the system. i.e. $0.99 for 10 'pearls' which you can use to pay the fishing boats for a "voyage to rare waters" and they're guranteed to bring back a rare monster material of X quality as well as buy costumes or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Generally they use a lot of grind and having items be exclusive to lock boxes.

• Locked thread