Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IT Guy posted:

That price just seems too good to be true for some reason.

How much data are you backing up?

Would they seriously let me backup ~10TB?

Plus another 1.2TB of photos and other documents. It's the real deal. I'm two years in on a four year plan, so the pricing I paid is about half of what they're charging these days.

Lowen SoDium posted:

http://www.bionoren.com/blog/2013/03/freenas-crashplan/

I am actually going to try this later today

edit: I am never going to try this. It's more involved than I thought it was at first.

Holy gently caress. Yeah, I'm glad I have my setup virtualized so I can just run Crashplan headless on an Ubuntu VM. It does love to suck up RAM, but when I've got 8GB to play with (not counting the 16GB allocated to my NAS4Free VM) it does just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Anyone use Amazon Glacier for NAS backup? Synology has a native module in beta for it now. I don't think I'd use it for a full NAS backup, since the majority of my stuff would just be a hassle to get back, rather than irreplaceable.(Reripping HD video for instance) So probably around 100GB to actually have offsite.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I'm confused. How do other cloud services (SOS Online Backup and Spideroak, the two I've used) charge by the gigabyte, but Crashplan will give you unlimited for a yearly fee?

Please explain. Cause I need to cancel some accounts right now if thats true.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
Almost received all my parts of my home web / media / backup server and need some advice regarding what software setup I roll.

Hardware:
Intel Core i3 3225
Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H TH
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M1A1600C9 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3
Intel 520 Series 60Gb SSD
Western Digital Red 2Gb x 5
Lian Li Case

My requirements for this computer are:
Media Server - Access for devices across the house - streaming and transcoding
File / Backup Server - Automated backups and torrenting linux distros
Web Server - Web / E-Commerce Development - Still learning Linux so will likely involve needing to be able to re-roll the distro regularly and experiment with different software stacks

Seeing as I have a varied array of uses, many of which are in conflict with each other (stability + long term of a software RAID backup server vs regularly re-rolling for web dev), I thought a possible solution could be to run a hypervisor on the machine and then to virtualise a number of operating systems. These would be: 2 x Linux - one for file server, one for web server + 1 x Windows - for technologically challenged others in house. The web server instance and the windows instance would only be run as required, with the file server running continuously. How much power consumption could I expect from running the file server through Xen instead of without?

As the operating system will be running off the SSD rather than the RAID itself, what would my preferred software RAID be? I've heard that ZFS doesn't have the best power saving options regarding spinning down the disks when not in use, is this correct? Also important for the future was noting that with ZFS you can increase the size in the array by replacing all the disks with larger ones and re-slivering. Is this a common feature with software RAIDs?

Next questions: I have a number of other computers I have around the house, both Windows and OS X, and I want to have an automated backup complete of these computers to the server daily, what is the recommended software for this?

blacksun fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 18, 2013

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

I'm confused. How do other cloud services (SOS Online Backup and Spideroak, the two I've used) charge by the gigabyte, but Crashplan will give you unlimited for a yearly fee?

Please explain. Cause I need to cancel some accounts right now if thats true.

By averaging costs across all users. Heavy resource hogs like IOwnCalculus are subsidized by reasonable, responsible, decent human beings such as myself :911: who use far less space.

Other unlimited services include Backblaze and Carbonite. I find it odd that you haven't heard of any of these during your search for providers.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

DNova posted:

By averaging costs across all users. Heavy resource hogs like IOwnCalculus are subsidized by reasonable, responsible, decent human beings such as myself :911: who use far less space.

Other unlimited services include Backblaze and Carbonite. I find it odd that you haven't heard of any of these during your search for providers.

I had heard of Carbonite but when I looked up reviews, everyone kept recommending SOS Online Backup. It works well for me (actually its for my office).

If i were to Crashplan it would definitely be for IOwnCalculus level usage, if not more. Is there a practical limit at which they'll tell you "Hey, chill the gently caress out"? The idea of having my entire media library backed up safely on a professional remote server is pretty much my packrat dream.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If there is a limit to 'unlimited' at Crashplan, I don't think anyone's heard of it. I suspect they operate with huge-capacity, low-cost, low-performance disk clusters like Backblaze does (if not just copying their design directly, since Backblaze publishes it all).

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Does that mean the data is not as secure?

Also is there a fee for restoring? I believe thats the caveat of Amazon Glacier.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No, why would it? They encrypt your data pretty heavily by default, and if you don't even want them to see it without your permission you can specify your own key to encrypt it with.

No fees to restore unless you do so by having them ship you a disk with your data.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I meant more redundancy but I'm sure they have that covered.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thermopyle posted:

Crashplan+ Family Unlimited.

The storage is unlimited.

If you just want to backup your server online, I think Crashplan+ Unlimited will work.

The biggest issue is getting Crashplan running on a headless machine, but it's not too bad. Well, depending on your hardware, the memory usage of the client might be the biggest issue.

The title of the page I link in that post is "Are 'Unlimited' subscriptions really unlimited?"

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I'm now thinking about subscribing to CrashPlan Pro Unlimited for here at work (we currently pay a lot of money for rackspace at our ISP). We have one machine with ~1TB of data we want offsite. How does CrashPlan know about changed files and stuff like that since many files change on a daily basis? What protocols does it use to transfer the data, can I use rsync?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IT Guy posted:

I'm now thinking about subscribing to CrashPlan Pro Unlimited for here at work (we currently pay a lot of money for rackspace at our ISP). We have one machine with ~1TB of data we want offsite. How does CrashPlan know about changed files and stuff like that since many files change on a daily basis? What protocols does it use to transfer the data, can I use rsync?

CrashPlan uses your OS's facilities for notifications about file changes for real-time backup. Or you can disable that and it will just scan for your nightly backup or whatever.

CrashPlan has a client that does the data transfer, you don't have access to whatever protocol it uses.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Sorry, one more question, does CrashPlan have some type of web based file browser you can view the files in your backup with?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IT Guy posted:

Sorry, one more question, does CrashPlan have some type of web based file browser you can view the files in your backup with?

Yes. It's not super feature-ful, but you can select folders/files to download in a zip. You can also select which date you'd like the files from since it also does versioning.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Yes. It's not super feature-ful, but you can select folders/files to download in a zip. You can also select which date you'd like the files from since it also does versioning.

Awesome, going to give the free trial a go next week.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So I'm not sure what black magic makes ZFS so damned good about this, but... I got my three new Reds in and started the process of one-by-one replacing the three drives in one of my RAIDZ vdevs (which at the time was reporting 100% healthy - ada3 replacing ada1).

During the night apparently one of the other drives in the same vdev went unresponsive, and yet somehow it hasn't actually lost any data. Then just to spite me, a drive in one of the other vdevs also kicked it. I may have to order more Reds than I want to right now. I've got everything being replaced by something for now but I can still read anything I want off of the array.

pre:
  pool: aggregate
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will
        continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
  scan: resilver in progress since Thu Apr 18 06:20:18 2013
        881G scanned out of 8.57T at 73.4M/s, 30h33m to go
        154G resilvered, 10.04% done
config:

NAME                        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        aggregate                   DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz1-0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da4                     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da3                     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da5                     ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-1                  DEGRADED     0     0     0
            da1                     ONLINE       0     0     0
            replacing-1             REMOVED      0     0     0
              12183841014378852297  REMOVED      0     0     0  was /dev/da2
              ada4                  ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
            replacing-2             ONLINE       0     0     0
              ada1                  ONLINE       0     0     0
              ada3                  ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
          raidz1-2                  DEGRADED     0     0     0
            da6                     ONLINE       0     0     0
            replacing-1             REMOVED      0     0     0
              15945044141564387023  REMOVED      0     0     0  was /dev/da7
              ada5                  ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
            da8                     ONLINE       0     0     0
        cache
          ada0                      ONLINE       0     0     0

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I asked a question in the Windows thread (if you want to read the chain, it's here - we tried a few different things), but we weren't able to answer it over there, so I figured it might be more of a NAS question.

I have an HP N40L running FreeNAS, and I'm trying to use robocopy to backup my desktop PC (Windows 7 Pro) files to it. Ideally, I'd like to through together a batch file to run nightly and ensure everything is over there.

Unfortunately, I'm getting a ton of errors, and I don't know why.

Specifically:

Are there any known issues with using robocopy to copy to a FreeNAS setup? Am I missing something bloody obvious?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Last I checked Spideroak only had a single site/datacenter. Dropbox uses Amazon but who knows if they're in multiple availability groups or not. Does anyone know if crashplan has multiple sites or not? It seems unlikely.

While it's not common to lose a whole datacenter worth of servers (baring an FBI raid or natural disaster), it certainly possible the whole site could be offline and your files inaccessible for a time, if that is of concern to you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

Last I checked Spideroak only had a single site/datacenter. Dropbox uses Amazon but who knows if they're in multiple availability groups or not. Does anyone know if crashplan has multiple sites or not? It seems unlikely.

While it's not common to lose a whole datacenter worth of servers (baring an FBI raid or natural disaster), it certainly possible the whole site could be offline and your files inaccessible for a time, if that is of concern to you.

According to this they use seven data centers.

Don't know how accurate that is, though.

edit: This lists multiple data centers as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

Crashplan's FAQ states "We are the offsite data storage for our customers. We store our customers' data in highly secure data center facilities around the world." which seems to indicate there's more than one datacenter.

EDIT: Their enterprise site says they have multiple datacenters around the world.
http://www.crashplan.com/enterprise/scalability.html3

EDIT2: There's a pretty blinking graph right on their about page, ha!
http://www.code42.com/about.html

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 18, 2013

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Anyone have any experience with Intel's Smart Response caching? I was just playing with the settings and got some weird results. The test setup is a 500gb seagate with a 64gb samsung 830 cache.

No cache:

Cache enabled, enhanced (default) mode:

Cache enabled, maximized mode:

Obviously write caching is happening but the reads shouldn't plummet like that should they? Working as intended? Benchmark anomaly?

My NAS performs admirably (5 disk RAIDZ2, Agility 3 Cache, iSCSI w/ MPIO between 2 dual-port NICs with 2 crossover cables and no switch):

~139MB/s seems to be the ceiling for iSCSI in this setup; I tested with just a SSD and it did the same thing. The NAS beats the bare internal drive in every test, and could conceivably beat the internally cached disk over 5 or 6 crossover cables if there's not another ceiling in the way. That'd be silly though.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Pretty neat, thanks. I scanned their site and didn't see anything. Given the distribution of the sites I'd guess they're more for date locality or onramping rather than multi-site replication, but I don't really know.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Smart response benchmarks probably are going to be all over the place.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Megaman posted:

How is everyone mostly backing up their multi terebyte freenas setups? Copying on to separate non raided disks and storing them in a closet? Backing up to s3? Both? I need to back up my freenas setup since I have 0 backups since I've created it and it's almost full, it's under 4 TB

UndyingShadow posted:

Has anyone figured out a way to actually get crashplan to backup a freenas server that doesn't involve symlink style hacks?

I've just set this up, so I still need to put it through it's paces to make sure it's a good long term solution, but so far it seems to be working. I've got the shares from my NAS mapped on my Mac Mini, where I've also got the CrashPlan client installed. Since all the shares get mapped as folders under /Volumes, I can just add /Volumes/<sharename> to the backup set and it picks everything up.

Like I said, I've only had this running for a few days, and with a small data set, so I need to do some more thorough testing with more data and make sure it's a solid solution. But the client didn't yell at me when I added the folder like it does if you try to back up a mapped drive/UNC path in Windows, so hopefully I'm all set.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Since I'm a little more comfortable with freeNAS now and all my poo poo is still backed up I nuked my array, reset freeNAS to defaults, rebuilt the array without the ZIL since that was a dumb idea and set everything back up again. I wish I knew what the big difference was but it got a whole lot faster:

Not bad at all.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Are the ivy bridge based pentium dual cores good enough for transcoding or should you go with an i3?

If an i3 is the 3220 slower than the 3225 at transcoding?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Don Lapre posted:

Are the ivy bridge based pentium dual cores good enough for transcoding or should you go with an i3?

If an i3 is the 3220 slower than the 3225 at transcoding?

I am using a Intel Celeron G555 Sandy Bridge 2.7GHz and it doesn't have any trouble transcoding. It's a lot cheaper than either the pentium dual core or i3 and for your purposes, would work just as well.

That particular CPU has been discontinued for the Intel Celeron G1620 Ivy Bridge 2.7GHz.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If i choose Raid-Z when setting up FreeNAS am i able to add additional discs later?

Im looking at doing a build so im playing with FreeNAS now in vmware.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Don Lapre posted:

If i choose Raid-Z when setting up FreeNAS am i able to add additional discs later?

Im looking at doing a build so im playing with FreeNAS now in vmware.

You cannot expand an array, but you can build additional arrays and add them to the same pool.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Moey posted:

You cannot expand an array, but you can build additional arrays and add them to the same pool.

Thanks!

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
You can also replace disks to increase capacity, though it won't take effect until you've replaced the lowest capacity disk(s).

I started with 3x1.5TB and 2x3TB disks and then after a few months I replaced the 1.5TB disks with 3TB ones.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Is there a good recommendation for a PCI or PCIe SATA card? I'd just be adding a drive for media streaming or backup use. Amazon and Newegg reviews I read seem to have an equal amount of people saying any card is great or poo poo.

Also, has anyone heard anything about the Seagate Central line? I'm interested in getting the 4gb unit instead of an internal HD. I would backup from a laptop and stream movies and music to my tablet and HTPC.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 20, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How many ports do you need?

Most everybody here has enough drives that we use something like the IBM M1015 which drives 8 drives for around $100.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

How many ports do you need?

Most everybody here has enough drives that we use something like the IBM M1015 which drives 8 drives for around $100.

Sorry, that's pretty important. One or two. I have a 1.5 tb for storage that's getting full, so I'd add another drive that is at least 2gb and possible move another to the card if I get a second SSD drive (using a 60gb as a boot drive, but I'd like a 128gb for games).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Most motherboards have 4 SATA ports, can't you just use onboard?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Most motherboards have 4 SATA ports, can't you just use onboard?

No, I've used them up (SSD, 2x HDD, DVD-R). That's why I'm looking at cards or getting a desktop NAS.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
I realised my previous post fell outside of the purview of this thread, so I cross-posted most of it to the virtualisation megathread. Hence, I've culled my questions down to what's actually relevant to this thread!

I have a number of other computers I have around the house, both Windows and OS X, and I want to have an automated backup complete of these computers to the server daily, what is the recommended software for this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

blacksun posted:

I realised my previous post fell outside of the purview of this thread, so I cross-posted most of it to the virtualisation megathread. Hence, I've culled my questions down to what's actually relevant to this thread!

I have a number of other computers I have around the house, both Windows and OS X, and I want to have an automated backup complete of these computers to the server daily, what is the recommended software for this?

Crashplan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
In FreeNAS, is there a way to password-protect and share individual folders to Windows machines?