Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

a cartoon duck posted:

Mostly though it's that Star Platinum would be the world's most Stand if it didn't have sudden time stopping powers.

Gonna assume you meant world's worst stand there? Star Platinum just being insanely strong, fast and precise hold up pretty well as a power in part three though because most stands just have one utility. There's a bit of power creep later on though where lots of stands are strong AND have an additional power, so compared to them vanilla Star Platinum would be pretty awful. Its kind of disappointing that in a series where unorthodox solutions to beat powerful stands are a big part of the entertainment value that the way Jotaro beats TIME STOP is just to spontaneously develop that power himself.

Araki gets better with solving unbeatable powers by part 6, Jolyne turning herself into a mobius strip to survive pucci's stand is my favourite trick anyone has pulled in Jojo's, ever. It was really great in a story so heavy with utterly bullshit stand powers that Jolyne was just crazy inventive with her power of turning into string. I'm glad Araki reset the entire universe to dial everyone back a bit, all the stands in SBR and Jojolion have been relatively restrained, even D4C had a bunch of drawbacks and needed to have Jesus' corpse to become super powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Err, yeah, I meant Star Platinum is the world's most boring stand, what with its power being punching really fast, a power that's already shared by many Stands even in Part 3. Hell, being the fastest melee stand was already kinda Silver Chariot's thing. It's just kinda jarring to read through progressively crazier stands and then look back to Star Platinum.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Actually, this is explained as Jonathan's body developing a stand with the same utility as Hermit Purple. It doesn't really come up again, but it does give Dio and Joseph awareness of when the other one is watching them. I don't think they ever show him using it other than right before everyone boards the plane with Tower of Gray on it, though.
I remember reading a theory that being able to accurately sense what Joseph and Jotaro were doing was the ability of Holly's stand since Dio seemed to be able to do that too.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Spacedad posted:

Dio suddenly not using almost any of his crazy vampire powers and the hamon not really coming up hardly ever in part 3 is one of those quirks of the series, really. There's other stuff like Dio's mysterious ability to see and communicate through the hermet purple's precognition being used upon him, suggesting stuff about bigger and broader psychic powers instead of very specific stand use.

Dio works as a fantastic villain for the end of the arc though - and quite frankly, him using his crazier vampire powers would have complicated things.

Eh, I never had a problem with DIO ditching his vampire powers. Why'd you even need to shoot eyebeams when you can just stop time and have your magic ghost punch a hole in somebody instead?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

a cartoon duck posted:

Err, yeah, I meant Star Platinum is the world's most boring stand, what with its power being punching really fast, a power that's already shared by many Stands even in Part 3. Hell, being the fastest melee stand was already kinda Silver Chariot's thing. It's just kinda jarring to read through progressively crazier stands and then look back to Star Platinum.
As Red Bones put it: In the end, it's not the Stand's powers, it's how creatively you can use it. I'd personally love to have it or Heaven's Door as a Stand.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Eh, I never had a problem with DIO ditching his vampire powers. Why'd you even need to shoot eyebeams when you can just stop time and have your magic ghost punch a hole in somebody instead?

To make sure someone is dead without having to risk going into the range of their punchy magic ghost? :v:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Star Platinum posted:

To make sure someone is dead without having to risk going into the range of their punchy magic ghost? :v:

That's why you have knives, for what good it did DIO.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Cerebral Bore posted:

That's why you have knives
Or stop signs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Soulcleaver posted:

Or stop signs.

Or road rollers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Or road rollers.

Or pantsless henchmen.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
space ripper stingy eyes probably hurts a lot to use

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

space ripper stingy eyes probably hurts a lot to use

Actually I think that it's just a kinda crummy attack when you get down to it. I mean, Joseph figured out a way to beat it with just a couple of shot glasses, so Star Platinum would have no problems with deflecting it.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Cerebral Bore posted:

Actually I think that it's just a kinda crummy attack when you get down to it. I mean, Joseph figured out a way to beat it with just a couple of shot glasses, so Star Platinum would have no problems with deflecting it.

Jotaro would have had four hands to hold shot glasses with--the attack is basically suicide!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Raku posted:

Jotaro would have had four hands to hold shot glasses with--the attack is basically suicide!

Jotaro is the king of drinking games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

"What are you gonna do? DRINK THE SHOT, D'ARBY!"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I could see Jotaro winning all the drinking games at uni. He'd just line up them shots and ORAORAORA's them all down in no time.

On the flipside, nobody was willing to play beer pong with him anymore after that time when he knocked the ball through the table.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm currently on part 4, and want to know if anyone ever tried to build a dog death tally throughout the series. Really, in part 3 they randomly put a dog besides kayoin only to kill it on the next panel!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

nerdz posted:

I'm currently on part 4, and want to know if anyone ever tried to build a dog death tally throughout the series. Really, in part 3 they randomly put a dog besides kayoin only to kill it on the next panel!

I think the go-to theory is that Araki secretly just really hates all animals, but particularly dogs.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Maremidon posted:

I think the go-to theory is that Araki secretly just really hates all animals, but particularly dogs.

Immortals have no need for lower forms of life.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

mikeycp posted:

Immortals have no need for lower forms of life.

So what dose he have against Italians?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

dbzfandiego posted:

So what dose he have against Italians?

ITALIANS: Useless. The lower the lifeform, the higher the pasta production, as they need to continue their race. However, the Ultimate Being has no need for pasta. There is but one lunch.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I think that food-based stand from part 4 was one of my favorites. Was it Pearl Jam?

I always wanted to see a stand that could translate any language. I'd call it Flaming Lips.

Actually, what bands/songs/albums would make cool stands? I've got a list half a mile long from a failed college project a million years ago but I'd love to hear other people's ideas so I don't sound like I'm the world's largest JoJo sperg.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Like, 90% of the songs off Born This Way.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

Actually, what bands/songs/albums would make cool stands? I've got a list half a mile long from a failed college project a million years ago but I'd love to hear other people's ideas so I don't sound like I'm the world's largest JoJo sperg.

Godspeed You Black Emperor

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Muffinlord posted:

Anything Daft Punk, especially Harder Better Faster Stronger (which could have the cool acronym HBFS).

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Bro Enlai posted:

Godspeed You Black Emperor

I had actually used Black Emperor, which was a stand that allowed its user to move at incredible speed, but didn't give him accelerated perception to match. I got the idea from the tiger beetle, which lunges at prey with enough speed that its nervous system can't keep up.

I also had Whitestripes, who had the ability to control any vehicle remotely with his mind.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Anything Daft Punk, especially Harder Better Faster Stronger (which could have the cool acronym HBFS).

could have been a stand of four dudes specializing in defense, trickery, speed and attack.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I'd make my own Jojo ripoff comic with stands named after musicians but the copyright gestapo would never let me.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
My friend promised me if he ever had a stand it would be Space Jam.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Soulcleaver posted:

I'd make my own Jojo ripoff comic with stands named after musicians but the copyright gestapo would never let me.

That's kind of what we're doing here

Dogbutt posted:

My friend promised me if he ever had astand it would be Space Jam.

I can see it now, a tall short-range stand with control over the user's personal gravity field.

...I think I'm going to have to do some sketching when I get home.

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 18, 2013

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oingo Boingo - Little Girls

Effect: You cant stop watching moeblob anime

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Dogbutt posted:

I thought Space Oddity could be a stand that was a big astronaut suit with galaxy space effects leaking out of where the glass on the helmet should be. It would turn the area around it into space - cold, pressureless and with no gravity - and the user could wear it in order to survive or use it to fight like a regular stand. Never really 100% sold on the name, but I ended up doodling some astronauts in silly poses because I liked the idea.

Other neat stand names would be The Chain which would be pretty similar to Stone Free but with chains. Just looking through my music now, The Big Money, Green World, Electric Nation, Visiting Statue, King of the Streets, DARE - a lot of song names transition pretty well into Stands, they just need a kind of neat sounding noun or even just a phrase. I hope eventually one of the songs used in the anime becomes a stand, that'd be a nice little self-referential nod. Like calling a stand Roundabout or something.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dogbutt posted:

So it's gonna be a Stand that can combine with any other Stand to make it even better?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Justin Beiber, Baby - Stand turns user into a baby. You cant attack the baby, because what the gently caress, why would you punch a baby. Everyone gets mad at you for punching a baby and you go to jail.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Let's go with a song that hasn't been released yet. Daft Punk's Get Lucky. It gives you the power to be as good at games of chance as D'arby without having to cheat.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Justin Beiber, Baby - Stand turns user into a baby. You cant attack the baby, because what the gently caress, why would you punch a baby. Everyone gets mad at you for punching a baby and you go to jail.

Death 13's user already has this as a non-Stand ability, though.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

The Muffinlord posted:

That's kind of what we're doing here

I can see it now, a tall short-range stand with control over the user's personal gravity field.

...I think I'm going to have to do some sketching when I get home.

Isn't that basically what C-Moon does kind of?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think a stand that gives the user a Midas Touch would be sweet. Like, anything they touch turns into feathers or something. Call it If I Could Fly or something like that.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Dogbutt posted:

Isn't that basically what C-Moon does kind of?

C-moon was more like everyone's gravity. I guess maybe a better description would be "gravity only affects you how you want it to, even if that way makes zero sense", so you could flip to the ceiling and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Jumping Jack Flash was kind of like that.

• Locked thread