Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Econosaurus posted:

I really want a hearty vegetable soup tomorrow. I don't have a pressure cooker, just a relatively big stove pot. I have some vegetable stock in the fridge, and I really want some broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, whatever in it. I live near a big produce based supermarket with really fresh fruit and vegetables. Any ideas or recommendations? I've had a weird craving for vegetables all week.

Pretty much anything and everything. I can specifically recommend leeks, onions, and garlic. Maybe some chickpeas. I bet you could go cabbage and potatoes as well. The sky is the limit really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

e: f,b ^^ (lol we both used "sky is the limit" :3:)

Econosaurus posted:

I really want a hearty vegetable soup tomorrow. I don't have a pressure cooker, just a relatively big stove pot. I have some vegetable stock in the fridge, and I really want some broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, whatever in it. I live near a big produce based supermarket with really fresh fruit and vegetables. Any ideas or recommendations? I've had a weird craving for vegetables all week.

Pressure cooker isn't really terribly necessary unless you want to add beans. Potatoes, carrots, and other root veg will be done in 20-30 min. Honestly "vegetable soup" is such a broad category that unless you have a specific cuisine in mind, the sky is the limit.

Perhaps make sambhar? Dino would be the best one to ask about that.

Fire roast some poblano chiles and dice, simmer with sauteed onions and celery, some tomatoes or tomatillos, fresh ground cumin, bay leaves, mexican oregano, your veg stock, and posole, finish with some cilantro and scallions and a dab of sour cream.

Borscht is another great one.

Minestrone, too.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
grav, can I get your technique for your beef cheeks you did recently?

I picked up pork cheeks at the farmers market last weekend and I'm trying to get a few ideas to swing with.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Econosaurus posted:

I used to make a buttermilk vidalia vichyssoise to eat with cornbread. Might be a little plain for you but I'm redneck as gently caress sometimes and it hits the spot when you want to be trashy.

You eat portugese food? Sopa de grao com espinafres should be good now that there's good spinach in season.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Allahu Snackbar posted:

grav, can I get your technique for your beef cheeks you did recently?

I picked up pork cheeks at the farmers market last weekend and I'm trying to get a few ideas to swing with.

sure. I basically followed Thomas Keller's Braised Short Ribs technique for the braise (http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/ad-hoc-braised-beef-short-ribs-recipe/). Used a fillet knife to remove all the surface connective tissue and skin. Seared off in a dutch oven and added mirepoix and aromatics, topped with water, and a cheesecloth to keep the meat separate from the aromatics then braised in a low oven for 6 hours. Allow to cool then chill in the fridge. This will allow the meat to reabsorb some of the braising liquid, then allow the gelatin to set. Handling while hot could make it all just fall apart, which is cool if that's what you want, but I wanted chunks of cheek. When cold, use however you want. I seared them off and used in Ad Hoc stroganoff.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

GrAviTy84 posted:

e: f,b ^^ (lol we both used "sky is the limit" :3:)

Pressure cooker isn't really terribly necessary unless you want to add beans. Potatoes, carrots, and other root veg will be done in 20-30 min. Honestly "vegetable soup" is such a broad category that unless you have a specific cuisine in mind, the sky is the limit.

Perhaps make sambhar? Dino would be the best one to ask about that.

Fire roast some poblano chiles and dice, simmer with sauteed onions and celery, some tomatoes or tomatillos, fresh ground cumin, bay leaves, mexican oregano, your veg stock, and posole, finish with some cilantro and scallions and a dab of sour cream.

Borscht is another great one.

Minestrone, too.

I guess I'm asking if I throw the stock, some water, a bunch of vegetables and some spices (what spices? I have a decent collection) and simmered for a while, would it taste alright?

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I used to make a buttermilk vidalia vichyssoise to eat with cornbread. Might be a little plain for you but I'm redneck as gently caress sometimes and it hits the spot when you want to be trashy.

You eat portugese food? Sopa de grao com espinafres should be good now that there's good spinach in season.

Definitely throwing in some spinach now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Literally every Portuguese recipe is a good one.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I keep ordering vermicelli at Vietnamese restaurants and forgetting that I don't really know how to use the sauce on the side. Do I dip my food in the sauce? Do I pour it all over the place? My strategy so far has been to use it as a dipping sauce until I make a terrible mess, then pour a little of the sauce over what's left in the bowl and eating it.

Also, tell me how to make that excellent sauce at home so I can stop making messes at Vietnamese places. It's really light, probably has some rice vinegar in it, but I can't tell what else.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Now I want giant whole grilled sardines :(

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Hawkgirl posted:

I keep ordering vermicelli at Vietnamese restaurants and forgetting that I don't really know how to use the sauce on the side. Do I dip my food in the sauce? Do I pour it all over the place? My strategy so far has been to use it as a dipping sauce until I make a terrible mess, then pour a little of the sauce over what's left in the bowl and eating it.

Also, tell me how to make that excellent sauce at home so I can stop making messes at Vietnamese places. It's really light, probably has some rice vinegar in it, but I can't tell what else.

are you talking about for bun? is the sauce a little sweet? could be nuoc cham

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Allahu Snackbar posted:

are you talking about for bun? is the sauce a little sweet? could be nuoc cham

Yeah, for bun, and yeah, it's definitely nuoc cham. Thanks for helping me with names. I now know that I like ordering this dish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BAn_th%E1%BB%8Bt_n%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bng and that I totally have all the ingredients to make nuoc cham in my house right now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Last night I made shredded beef in the crock pot. It didn't come out bad but it came out a little more bland than usual. I was thinking of just simmering it for a while and reducing the broth to give it some more flavor. Is that a bad idea and would that gently caress up the texture? Should I just spice it up a bit instead?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Econosaurus posted:

I guess I'm asking if I throw the stock, some water, a bunch of vegetables and some spices (what spices? I have a decent collection) and simmered for a while, would it taste alright?

Definitely throwing in some spinach now.

Hard to go wrong unless you gently caress up the spicing. Lentils (red break down, green retain shape), barley, chickpeas and beans (I use tinned for latter two) are all great for adding substance. Instead of spinach, try something a bit hardier like kale or cavolo nero. For spicing I'd be careful unless you want a spicy soup. If using tomatoes a pinch of chilli and smoked paprika is nice. Otherwise turmeric, but of cinnamon, mustard seed etc will work.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Whenever my dad comes to visit, he has this habit of buying things I have no idea how to use, and he never gets around to cooking them himself, lumping me with odd things like quince paste and pate that I end up forgetting I have. So now I have a piece of pork belly sitting in my freezer that I have no real idea what to do with and would rather not let go to waste. I'd like to be able to make stuff I can freeze and reheat with it, seeing as it's a reasonably large piece of meat and I'm only cooking for myself.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone got a good website or cookbook recommendation for Portuguese and / or Brazilian dishes?

The part of town I live in is almost entirely Brazilian, Portuguese or Canary Islanders and my local grocery stocks unusually large amounts of cheap small sardines, small king mackerels, whole squid etc so I figure those have to be getting cooked often into something good. At any given day there's probably twice as much of those as there are Tuna, Cod, Salmon, etc.

The grocery (Market Basket in Somerville, MA) stocks a ton of other ingredients like cheeses, etc that I have no idea what to do with nor have heard of before and might as well start learning.

(Edit: ^^^^ Dude if you have a pork belly look at the charcuterie thread in here and make some homemade bacon).

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I made vindaloo a few nights ago which is basically Portuguese. It was quite good.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Hawkgirl posted:

bun...nuoc cham

You are doing eating right. The only way to not make a mess is to hunch over it, which is not rude in vietnamese restaurants.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

NESguerilla posted:

Last night I made shredded beef in the crock pot. It didn't come out bad but it came out a little more bland than usual. I was thinking of just simmering it for a while and reducing the broth to give it some more flavor. Is that a bad idea and would that gently caress up the texture? Should I just spice it up a bit instead?

If you cook it too long the proteins will break down a little too much and the meat will get chalky. I'd just add a shitload of lea and perrins and call it a day.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

sure. I basically followed Thomas Keller's Braised Short Ribs technique for the braise (http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/ad-hoc-braised-beef-short-ribs-recipe/). Used a fillet knife to remove all the surface connective tissue and skin. Seared off in a dutch oven and added mirepoix and aromatics, topped with water, and a cheesecloth to keep the meat separate from the aromatics then braised in a low oven for 6 hours. Allow to cool then chill in the fridge. This will allow the meat to reabsorb some of the braising liquid, then allow the gelatin to set. Handling while hot could make it all just fall apart, which is cool if that's what you want, but I wanted chunks of cheek. When cold, use however you want. I seared them off and used in Ad Hoc stroganoff.

Also, sear the hell out of them. There's so much fat and connective tissue, you're not gonna dry em out before braising. I basically seared on med-high for 5 minutes a side before braising, and I think I could have gone longer.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I'm making split pea soup in my slow cooker, and I'm going to add some potatoes to make it a little heartier. I know that if I add them at the start of the cooking, they'll end up mushy, so I was wondering how long I should cook them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Gann Jerrod posted:

I'm making split pea soup in my slow cooker, and I'm going to add some potatoes to make it a little heartier. I know that if I add them at the start of the cooking, they'll end up mushy, so I was wondering how long I should cook them.

You have to account for rebound, which is not negligible in a crock pot. Starting from boil, potatoes are generally "cooked" at 20-25 min and will disintegrate by 45.

This is assuming russet. Red skinned, yellow skinned, etc, behave differently.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

GrAviTy84 posted:

You have to account for rebound, which is not negligible in a crock pot. Starting from boil, potatoes are generally "cooked" at 20-25 min and will disintegrate by 45.

This is assuming russet. Red skinned, yellow skinned, etc, behave differently.

Okay, so now I'm thinking I should probably cook them separately and mix them in once the soup is done.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

GrAviTy84 posted:

Why is the meat kept apart from the veg by cheesecloth and I assume the veg is eaten separately? Seems a huge waste otherwise

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Scott Bakula posted:

Why is the meat kept apart from the veg by cheesecloth and I assume the veg is eaten separately? Seems a huge waste otherwise

I would think after 6 hours the veg is going to be a pile of goo.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Veg is just stock to cook in.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
What would be the shelf life for refrigerated roasted garlic mayo? Botulism is pretty scary but I'm thinking the roasting should kill it. However, I'd like a better answer than "it seems to me" as being wrong with this equals dead people.

e \/\/ Most likely the Dominoes guys answer was a canned response because all he knows about making the sauce is: thaw a pouch and mix it with a set amount of water. Or, even more like, just cut open pouch and serve. I've never had the sauce before but here's one from Babby Flay that's pretty good. (No idea how it compares to Dominoes)

\http://bobbyflay.com/recipe.php?id=75

brick cow fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 18, 2013

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
^^^ Bookmarked

Lately I've been interested in making some of my own sauces, I found this recipe that I swore was on this site but I can't seem to find it again. I don't know if I saw it in this subforum or in the YLLS one in the "getting swole in the kitchen" thread (I tried looking there and couldn't find it), but it was a recipe for homemade ketchup. The poster noted how it wouldn't be as sugar intense as store bought ketchup (which makes me think it was from YLLS) and it also had a bit of a spiciness to it. Does anyone know what am I talking about or did I imagine this post? And if I didn't, anyone have a copy of the recipe?

Secondly, I really want to make my own sweet mango habanero sauce, the kind that Dominos has. I am absolutely in love with this sauce, but when I asked Domino's for a recipe they gave me an automated response. I guess they thought I was complimenting the sauce or something :confused: I have a list of whats in it, I just don't know how to prepare it. And as shown from my previous pizza experiments I'm quite terrible with guesstimating. And I'm sure I can cut a few of the ingredients out as they're preservatives, I just don't know which ones.

quote:

water, sugar, corn syrup, vinegar, orange juice concentrate, modified corn starch, mango puree, jalapeno peppers, spices, lime juice concentrate, habanero peppers, bell peppers, onion, salt, garlic, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 18, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Leal posted:

Lately I've been interested in making some of my own sauces, I found this recipe that I swore was on this site but I can't seem to find it again. I don't know if I saw it in this subforum or in the YLLS one in the "getting swole in the kitchen" thread (I tried looking there and couldn't find it), but it was a recipe for homemade ketchup. The poster noted how it wouldn't be as sugar intense as store bought ketchup (which makes me think it was from YLLS) and it also had a bit of a spiciness to it. Does anyone know what am I talking about or did I imagine this post? And if I didn't, anyone have a copy of the recipe?

Secondly, I really want to make my own sweet mango habanero sauce, the kind that Dominos has. I am absolutely in love with this sauce, but when I asked Domino's for a recipe they gave me an automated response. I guess they thought I was complimenting the sauce or something :confused: I have a list of whats in it, I just don't know how to prepare it. And as shown from my previous pizza experiments I'm quite terrible with guesstimating. And I'm sure I can cut a few of the ingredients out as they're preservatives, I just don't know which ones.

There's a mango chilli sauce in the wiki by NosmoKing
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Mango_Habanero_Hot_Sauce

I made it with yellow 7 pots and it's blistering hot, used about 30 of them, as well as a bunch of aji pineapple chillies. I ended up having to make another batch of mango, lime and spices without any chillies to dilute the first batch in order to bring the heat way down.
But 7 pots are way hotter than haberneros, I just had an excess of them and wanted their fruity flavour. Habaneros aren't as hot, but missing a lot flavour wise as well, so maybe use 10-15 of them rather than what the recipe calls for and add something else for flavour?

The sauce I made was great though after I had to double every non chilli ingredient to cool it down. haven't had it on any meals lately but had a bit as an icecream topping last week, so fruity with the pineapple flavour (from the chillies) and mango flavour.
Don't look at me weird, chilli heads often put fruity chilli sauces on icecreams and desserts.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 18, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Leal posted:

I've never had the sauce, but looking at the ingredients and the results of a gis it looks like it's just habanero and mango jelly. So you could probably get a pretty good first pass at it by doing something like:
  • 10 or 12 habaneros
  • 2 or 3 mangos
  • 1 1/2 cups vinegar
  • 5 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 Tbsp pectin
As written that's probably way the gently caress hotter than what Domino's gives you. I don't know that for sure, but since they're selling to a broad audience I'm guessing it's hot like Taco Bell is hot, which is to say pretty loving mild. So you might lower the number of habaneros, and/or remove as much of the mucilage (the webbing around the seeds) as you can, as that's where most of the heat is.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, theirs would be way less than 10-12 habs.
Also about the sweetening, when I first tasted my sauce, it was very very sweet from the mango alone, that dies off very quickly though.
So if you are making it with sugar, it may taste too sweet for a day or two if you use two mangoes so don't panic.
But SubG suggested a LOT of sugar. I had none as it's still pretty sweet, sweet enough for desserts, too sweet for anything that's not white meat due to the mango.
But SubG is trying to replicate the recipe, and they are probably close to the mark, I'm just posting about my own preferences really.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 18, 2013

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright, should have money in by tomorrow so I'll buy enough stuff to try out both recipes. I'll buy a bit more to experiment with as well, thanks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Fo3 posted:

But SubG is trying to replicate the recipe, and they are probably close to the mark, I'm just posting about my own preferences really.
Nah, I'm just going by the looks. I make habanero jelly semi-regularly, and that's pretty much it only with mangoes. The proportions are pretty standard for jelly making, and are more or less dictated by the pectin---you need so much acid and so much sugar with so much pectin or what you end up with won't be jelly. I don't recall the exact modifications I made to the standard proportions, but as I recall I either upped the vinegar, downed the sugar, or both, in order to get the consistency to be a little runnier than standard jelly. That's because I use it (with maple syrup) as a finishing sauce for smoked pork---so a consistency appropriate for application with a brush. But you'd want about the same thing in a dipping sauce.

Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009
I need some advice about a Kylie Kwong recipe for fried rice, or maybe something similar.

It's only gotten made once successfully by my folks, and then forgotten about. I can smell it now when I think about it. I'm trying to do a bit of a special day for my parents when they come here next. Mum's recovering from some surgery and it'd be nice to treat 'em to a day out and a home-cooked meal.

Problem is the only thing they remember is it was a 5 ingredient recipe, except for the rice, frying oil and soy-sauce.

-Egg
-Ginger
-Garlic
-Shallots/spring onions
-Something else I can't put my finger on. I want to say Szechuan pepper or red chili, and I think it sounds sounds right, but it was too bland the times I tried it, and chili was definitely too hot, but maybe I used too much chili, should have de-seeded it or not enough Szechuan.

I can't for the life of me find a recipe anywhere and I've got the ingredients but not the measurements so it's all been trial and error. I don't have to have it perfect, but it would be nice to get it somewhere around the mark. Maybe more ginger.....

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

badgercopter posted:

Whenever my dad comes to visit, he has this habit of buying things I have no idea how to use, and he never gets around to cooking them himself, lumping me with odd things like quince paste and pate that I end up forgetting I have. So now I have a piece of pork belly sitting in my freezer that I have no real idea what to do with and would rather not let go to waste. I'd like to be able to make stuff I can freeze and reheat with it, seeing as it's a reasonably large piece of meat and I'm only cooking for myself.
Make pork kakuni.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I got some frozen salmon filet and the skin is on. I wanna make it crispy. I have it thawing/marinating right now in a sesame/soy/honey/lime/garlic/ginger marinade. I have a cast iron and a teflon non-stick pan. Stove top and oven.

was thinking just tossing the thing in a hot cast iron skin side down and immediately in the oven at 350 for 8 or so minutes. Any better ideas?

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

I got some frozen salmon filet and the skin is on. I wanna make it crispy. I have it thawing/marinating right now in a sesame/soy/honey/lime/garlic/ginger marinade. I have a cast iron and a teflon non-stick pan. Stove top and oven.

was thinking just tossing the thing in a hot cast iron skin side down and immediately in the oven at 350 for 8 or so minutes. Any better ideas?

Dry it off from the marinade and brush oil on the skin first.

I like broiling salmon skin like siew yuk instead of skillet sear, if only because it lets me add meat to a dish with veg and sauce already in and keep it simple.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Scott Bakula posted:

Keller's recipes aren't designed to be the most economical way to prepare a dish.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I made some beef jerky using the box fan method. Some of the fatter pieces are still a little moist / beef colored in the middle. Is this okay, or should I cut them up smaller / nuke 'em / keep 'em in the fridge?

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I made some beef jerky using the box fan method. Some of the fatter pieces are still a little moist / beef colored in the middle. Is this okay, or should I cut them up smaller / nuke 'em / keep 'em in the fridge?

Cut them up or keep drying them. The texture should be uniform. This is jerky, not seared ahi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

As mentioned, after 6 hours of cooking, there really isn't much point in eating the veg, they've given their all.

The stock that is made is wonderful though.