Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Poopy Palpy posted:

Hell, I exercised restraint. I could have topped off at 8 Fighters when all we had was wave one, but I knew I would never not fly an Interceptor once wave two hit.

You might ahve missed my edit up above: in your plano, what do you have all the little number tokens attached to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

jivjov posted:

You might ahve missed my edit up above: in your plano, what do you have all the little number tokens attached to?

A piece of foamcore that I hunched over for about an hour while I cut 28 tiny rectangles out of it with an xacto.

I have problems, guys.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Experts need to teach me how to fit my Falcon and Slave 1 bases inside my Plano.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Poopy Palpy posted:

A piece of foamcore that I hunched over for about an hour while I cut 28 tiny rectangles out of it with an xacto.

I have problems, guys.

Ahh, well, I haven't gone that crazy. Although I did copy your method of hollowing out the area just inside the handle in the red section so the range rulers would fit in it. Thank god I had a fresh blade in my knife.

alg posted:

Experts need to teach me how to fit my Falcon and Slave 1 bases inside my Plano.

The bases (not the ships) will fit pretty well in one of the big compartments on the right. Before I copied Poopy Palpy's method, I had the deck of fullsize cards, the large asteroids, and the Falcon/Slave I bases in one of those slots.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4075

:what:

quote:

Upgrade your X-Wing™ play area! Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce the upcoming release of the Starfield Game Tile Kit.

The X-Wing Starfield Game Tile Kit introduces twelve thick tiles that allow you to wage your X-Wing space battles above such iconic Star Wars features as Alderaan and the Death Star. Each of these sturdy tiles consists of matte-finished card stock mounted on 2.5mm fiber board and measures one square foot. Starfield tiles are all double-sided, and permit a wide range of possible configurations to create immersive settings as you fight for the fate of a galaxy far, far away....

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Yeah, I'll stick with the felt I bought from Walmart for 6 dollars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well....I've seen worse accessories. If nothing else, it'll make measuring out a regulation play field a bit easier.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Why are they announcing it now if they won't be ready for several more months?

That said they might be nice to have if they're reasonably priced. So far I've just been playing on bare table.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chomp8645 posted:

Why are they announcing it now if they won't be ready for several more months?

That's the way Fantasy Flight works. It gives them a long time to announce a delay.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'm fine with a product like this, I'd just be concerned with 1) lack of interlocking tiles and thus the boards moving around, and 2) the surface being smooth enough to not keep the ships well in place, either. Hopefully between now and the actual release there's some work that goes into them to address those things.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
Made dials and stat cards to use with my micromachine TIE Bombers. Enjoy :)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Ha0RiPWRfUZ0ZHczIteEg4cFU/edit?usp=sharing

Bingarosso
Feb 28, 2013
I was wondering if there is a good resource for lists and strategy. I didn't seen anything in the OP. I'm just starting to get into this, and of course dicking around is tons of fun, but I always love to see what people are thinking to get the creative juices flowing. Just picked up the Falcon, Slave I, An A-Wing, a TIE Interceptor, already had a TIE Advanced and have 2 Base kits, so I'm in a good place as far as being able to field different armies, particularly Imperials.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Bingarosso posted:

I was wondering if there is a good resource for lists and strategy. I didn't seen anything in the OP. I'm just starting to get into this, and of course dicking around is tons of fun, but I always love to see what people are thinking to get the creative juices flowing. Just picked up the Falcon, Slave I, An A-Wing, a TIE Interceptor, already had a TIE Advanced and have 2 Base kits, so I'm in a good place as far as being able to field different armies, particularly Imperials.

I've been reading a lot on the FFG and Boardgamegeek forums. You can also view lists, and sort by their win/loss on the X-Wing squad builder here: http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build

saurkrautwerfer
Feb 19, 2013
So. I've got two X-Wings, a Y-wing, and a YT-1300 for the Rebels. I've also got four TIE fighters, and a TIE advanced.

For the Empire, MORE TIES seems like the best option for expansion (as in 1-2 Interceptors), but for the Rebels, is there as much value in having more of each fighter types? Twin X-Wings do pretty well, but the Y-Wing seems best left as a one-off. A-Wing looks awesome, but again, it's like the Rebels are the A-Team, you have a few good, but expensive units that work well together, but you're left wondering if you really can afford to keep both Mr T's or if one was enough.

DrSalt
Jun 27, 2010
I'm still really new at this game but I'm absolutely in love with the Y-wing. The other day I had Horton Salm in one solo Vader and two academy pilots in regular TIEs after his A-wing buddy got blown up before firing a single shot. I'll be picking up another one for sure.

saurkrautwerfer
Feb 19, 2013
Neat. Perhaps I'll invest in another one.

I really hope they continue with the Episode IV-VI (VII?) and associated EU focus. It's been a while since they've done terribly much with that line, and it's so awesome to hit the part of Star Wars that wasn't all light sabers and crap.

Further, perhaps they'll make a third faction to toss all the non-Alliance, non-Empire craft in, and rules for how to include those craft in with either faction (as Z-95s would fit in well with an early Alliance force, but they'd also be at home with some of the post-Endor Imperial Remnant forces).

Also more X-Wing game EU craft for the EU gods. I've seen them mentioned a few times, but things like the Assault Gunboat, and TIE Defender would give more depth to the Imperial side. Rebels are less fortunate in that they never quite got the crazy experimental ships the Empire did, but maaaybe some of the Thrawn era things like E-Wings could show up (although I think this game would have to really-really take off to see something like that vs things that have already appeared in games).

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I flew two Slave 1s against my friends Rebels tonight, wiped the floor with an X-Wing, Y-Wing, and A-Wing (Garven, Dutch, and the Arvel dude). With upgraded shields on both they are beasts, and I ran one with the heavy laser cannon, one with marksmanship and a gunner so I'd never miss. It's also really easy to get in their way and steal their actions with those huge ships. Anyone else flying two big ships much?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

pbpancho posted:

Anyone else flying two big ships much?

I know the guy who runs our LGS is a big proponent of 'two big ships' - I think his mix was an x-wing and two YT-1300s, not sure how that works out points wise and/or whether or not it leaves much room for upgrades though.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Two YT's with various upgrades is a strong squad due to the 360° fire arc and each having a possible 13 "hit points" to melt through.

For example: Han + Chewie would need to take 26-28 damage to eliminate. An eight-ship TIE swarm needs 24.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The big ships seem to take a shitload of damage though. 1 defense die means you get hit by everything, whereas the TIE's have a much higher effective HP pool because they don't take hits nearly as often.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Gate posted:

The big ships seem to take a shitload of damage though. 1 defense die means you get hit by everything, whereas the TIE's have a much higher effective HP pool because they don't take hits nearly as often.

Not only that but eight TIEs put out a hell of a lot more attack dice than a YT, and that's even if only half of them get a firing arc on it. Really the only advantage of fielding two YT's besides hilarious body blocking shenanigans is the 360 degree firing. But even that is kind of a waste, because I guarantee you that if you point an X-wing or A-wing or whatever at eight frickin TIE fighters, it WILL have someone in it's firing arc.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

The Gate posted:

Yeah, that's why I like Slave 1, almost as much health, an additional defense die, and comboing one with the heavy laser canon (gives me 4 attack dice at any range), and one outfitted for closer in stuff with marksmanship and the seismic bomb. Plus I feel like dual YTs would just be sort of boring. Just fly lazy circles shooting.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You know, I gotta ask something...

My friend and I play this game together and don't really play with anyone else. Up until our last game we believed that using the "focus" token allowed you to change one eye result on a die into a hit or miss as appropriate. But while flipping through the manual for something else we noticed that it seems to say that using the focus token changes all eye results into hits or misses.

My questions is this: Is that correct, and if so, how in the everliving gently caress is that not WAY too good? We tried it for about half a match and then immediately house ruled it right then an there to only change on die result. When it changed all results it seemed to trivialize the choice of actions and we more or less used nothing but focus actions unless we wanted to target lock. It also downgraded the Marksmanship talent from "Good option on certain pilots" to "waste of a talent slot".

How can you have an ability that works both offensively and defensively, and change all eye results? I mean compare that to evasion. Sure it guarantees you one extra evade, but it only works defensively and focus is likely to give you at least one evade if you need it, possibly more, plus you can use it offensively if you choose instead. Evasion is total garbage next to Focus unless your ship has 1 agility, and most of those ships can't evade anyway.

Are we just not getting something here? Is Focus balanced and we're just total scrub lords that don't know how to use abilities well? Please enlighten me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If it makes you feel better, I thought it let you reroll Eyes, not flat out change them. I'm also interested in some other opinions on the topic.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
The next four ships are gonna be revealed at the May the Fourth Be With you event at the FFG Event Center on May 3rd. Welp.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wow 4 new ships? B-Wing, Tie bomber, ??? Twin pod cloud car? I have no idea.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Focus is supposed to be the default action, I guess? It's the basic all around good action, you only Target Lock if you want to fire missiles or save it for next turn to combo with a focus or something. Honestly, it's less of an automatic use for Empire, where they can Evade on their craft, which makes it a 'sure thing' versus 'get lucky with eyes' roll. I don't see how it's "way too good" since players can use it offensively and defensively, on every ship, regardless of faction. If it was something only one side got, I might agree it's too strong, but it isn't. Marksmanship is just a 'Focus+' skill, it isn't great, but it's not meant to be, and it can really screw over Imperials with random crit damage.

Some math for you: rolling 3 dice, focus and evade have equal chances to give you +1 success. Focus is better if you're rolling 4 defense, Evade is better if you're on 1-2 defense. 3 dice is common, so it comes to this; do you want to guarantee at least one success, or gamble that focus will add more evades?

Edit: Guesses for new ships: B-Wing, TIE Bomber, Z-95, Lambda-class Shuttle. Z-95 probably won't happen, but I'm kinda stuck on what other fighter/small transport they could use from the original movies, unless they start branching to the prequels already. Z-95 has been around the EU for a long rear end time, and it's been in the videogames as well, so...maybe?

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 18, 2013

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

In my completely unscientific testing I just rolled 100 dice and got a total of 19 Eye results. Then another 100 and got 29 Eyes. Im bad at math but I dont think thats gamebreaking.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I'm not sure if anyone noticed the actual question the guy posted :3: as far as I'm aware/remember, focus allows you to change one eye result, not all eye results..

.. but seeing as I've played this game only a handful of times and I'm too lazy to go check, I might be wrong :v:

Wonder how many years it'll be before we see some restocks of the previous waves, I don't fancy playing with stock ships anymore :(

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Focus changes all eyes.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

zVxTeflon posted:

In my completely unscientific testing I just rolled 100 dice and got a total of 19 Eye results. Then another 100 and got 29 Eyes. Im bad at math but I dont think thats gamebreaking.

There are 2 focus icons on the 8 sides of the dice. That means the odds are 1 in 4 if the dice are fair. Your results make sense!

enri posted:

I'm not sure if anyone noticed the actual question the guy posted :3: as far as I'm aware/remember, focus allows you to change one eye result, not all eye results..

It's all of them. Here's a reference card I made copying the text from pages 8, 11, and 12 of the rulebook verbatim:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

enri posted:

Wonder how many years it'll be before we see some restocks of the previous waves, I don't fancy playing with stock ships anymore :(

You mean like the Y-wings and TIE Advancedses?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

SERPUS posted:

You mean like the Y-wings and TIE Advancedses?

Y-Wings were in the first wave, I still see them everywhere.

Restocks on wave 2 went out this week as all my local game shops got them.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

The Gate posted:

Focus changes all eyes.

:aaa:

Ok, been playing that wrong then.. pretty sure we read it as focus can change one focus result only. Might have to sanity check where on earth we thought that was the case.

Manifest posted:

Y-Wings were in the first wave, I still see them everywhere.

Restocks on wave 2 went out this week as all my local game shops got them.

Excelllent... will harass LGS guy for interceptors :v:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Focus has always changed all eyes, I don't even know how you'd even get the impression otherwise...

The whole point is it's 'Solid' at both offense and defense, but statistically inferior to the dedicated offense/defence option of Target Lock / Evade. Target Lock can be retained between turns and doesn't require fire arc to aquire (and this is massive, people don't grasp what a big deal it is) whilst Evade provides guaranteed avoidance. This is a game about risk management, and anything certain will always be strong. I've personally watched TIE Fighters get one-shotted with Focus just because they rolled triple blank, which would have kept them alive on 1 hull if they'd Evaded instead (or even better, had abused how strong Barrel Roll is in this game to get out of LOS altogether.)

It's really perfectly fine as written, because it's the indispensible 'not sure' option. Remember this is also in a world where Stress exists, and the stressed pilot might not be taking actions, but he's probably in a better position as a consequence to not be shot at in the first place.

As someone else noted, Focus only provides a 25% increase in your result, really.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I've just had a quick flick through the rules, I think I may be getting muddled up with the evade action.. and thinking back, we have been playing it right.

facepalm moment, ignore my confused state, old gamer syndrome kicking in.. forgetting rules etc. ;)

edit: woohoo, LGS has just posted on facebook, wave 2 re-stock is in :iamafag: come to me interceptors, come to daddy...

enri fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 19, 2013

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
You guys are lucky, ours got our wave 2 restock...and it went out to preorders again. Ugh.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I was able to get my second Interceptor and A-Wing with the restock, and I'm now waffling on whether or not I want a second Falcon and Slave 1, and a third set of Y-Wings/Advanced/A-Wings/Interceptors.

I think I have a problem - my Planos are gonna run out of room :v:

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
To backup other arguments, focus is not too good. Rolling 4 dice, you are likely to get one success out of it. Even then, its not unlikely it will not help you at all at a critical moment. If your experience is otherwise, you probably need the rule to stay how it is to balance all the hits you aren't getting on those same dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Is there a website or image gallery of all the pilot cards, upgrades, etc? I'd like to be able to browse the entire collection while at work and not have to haul all my cards around. I know the FFG website has some of the images on their preview page, but an index would be convenient.

• Locked thread