Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I get the buttons in Grid/Album view too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They appear if you have one of the tracks selected when you CMD+I, not just the album.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

decypher posted:

Also, I've been right clicking on the song, going to Get Info, clicking the second tab, then clicking the 'Part of a Compilation' checkbox, closing the window, then right clicking on the next track, etc. Is there a way to quickly switch between the previous/next track from the 'Get Info' window?

I'm not sure if you're doing something that maybe means you need to change each song individually, but you can select multiple songs and view 'get info' then 'options' to turn off compilations for them all at once. Just make sure that you deliberately pick and tick 'no' even if 'no' is already showing (because if some of the songs you've selected are set to 'yes' and some are 'no', the dropdown'll just say 'no' and wont update the 'yes' ones unless you specifically tell it to).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

They appear if you have one of the tracks selected when you CMD+I, not just the album.

If you're looking at songs in the Playlist tab the previous/next buttons show up. If you're looking at a song in the Artist tab, they don't show up. But they do show up in the Songs tab. It's very annoying.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I bet this gets asked a lot so forgive me.

I formatted and reinstalled Lion last night. On my previous instance, I had iTunes reading files off my external. The core library, I believe, was still on the internal hard drive. I backed it up so that's fine. How do I import this old configuration to my new instance without having to rebuild this godforsakenly large and pedantically tagged library?

Same external so I don't need to change whatever associations with that.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
What all do you have backups of? If you backed up your entire home folder and just dumped that right back into place, you should be completely set to go as-is.

If you're going piecemeal, then you want:
  • iTunes Library.itl in ~/Music/iTunes
  • iTunes Library Extras.itdb in ~/Music/iTunes
  • iTunes Library Genius.itdb in ~/Music/iTunes
  • (Optionally) com.apple.iTunes.plist in ~/Library/Preferences

The first one's the meat. I have no idea what's stored in the Extras DB (other than "not much"). If you have the Genius database, you'll spare yourself waiting for iTunes to rebuild it.

If you don't have the preferences file, that's fine; it just means you may need to pop into iTunes' Advanced preferences and tell it where things should go and whether or not to arrange new imports for you.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there a way to manually add playcounts to songs? I created a smart playlist for songs that I haven't listened to yet, but I recently reformatted my computer and didn't save the database file so it's showing a lot of stuff that I've already listened to/listen to regularly.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there a way to manually add playcounts to songs? I created a smart playlist for songs that I haven't listened to yet, but I recently reformatted my computer and didn't save the database file so it's showing a lot of stuff that I've already listened to/listen to regularly.

I don't know if it still works with 11, but try http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=newplayedcount or http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=addorsubtractplaycount

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I should have specified that I'm on Windows, not Mac :smith:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's something odd I noticed; with iTunes I can't seem to get the songs sound quite as nice, bassy and crisp as they sound with regular ol' Finder's "spacebar" preview on the files themselves. This is even with messing around with the equalizer a bunch and having it off completely. I normally use Genelec speakers and the music is fine but I recently got a pair of Sennheiser headphones which sound fantastic but comparing music played in both Finder and iTunes the former is superior by a mile. Is there some secret way or equalizer setting I can do to make iTunes sound like that?

E: Going through Depeche Mode's newest album is insane; in Finder it's incredibly layered and clear and in iTunes it's muffled and flat.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 17, 2013

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Do you have anything set in iTunes Equalizer? Window menu > Equalizer

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

beefnoodle posted:

Do you have anything set in iTunes Equalizer? Window menu > Equalizer
I went through every preset in it and tried turning it off but there was hardly any difference, and where there was it didn't sound anywhere near as nice as it does in Finder. I wish I could upload samples of how different they sound because it's honestly insane. I'd even deleted songs and reripped them because I thought the original rip quality was rubbish but that was just iTunes all along. :doh:

E: On that note, using the headphones with my iPod the songs sound great, too, and my iPod equalizer is just set to "Bass boost". I tried the preset in iTunes and it just muffled things a lot. :(

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 17, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How about volume normalizing or something like that?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

IUG posted:

How about volume normalizing or something like that?
I tried it and it didn't do much (though it is a pretty handy option I'd never noticed for some reason so thanks for that!) Fiddling with the option above it in the settings, having something to do with upper or higher frequencies (my iTunes isn't in English) kiiiind of makes up for things but there's still a difference. Not sure if it matters at all but just out of curiosity, what is Finder's audio playback based on? I assume both Finder and iTunes use the same codec for it or whatever?

Also are there any custom equalizer settings that are highly regarded as good ones? When no preset sounds right, my go-to tactic is to just mess with them until things sound good but that'll just probably make things worse now.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Also are there any custom equalizer settings that are highly regarded as good ones? When no preset sounds right, my go-to tactic is to just mess with them until things sound good but that'll just probably make things worse now.

Try turning off all the options under 'playback', so it looks like this:

Disable equaliser too, then it should be identical to Finder. Or at least it is in my tests.

As for EQ settings, there are no generic good settings. Each speaker setup/pair of headphones is different even in an acoustically perfect space such as an anechoic chamber, and the differences will be even more pronounced if you're in a room with hard surfaces for the sound to reflect off of and get caught up in. You can counter this with EQ if you take some time to tune it to your room. A good place to start is this site which explains common problems and has some tools to help suggest how to tackle them:
http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Acoustics/BadAcousticsInMyLivingRoo.html

Check the 'acoustics crash course' articles linked at the bottom too.

If your Sennheisers are for normal music listening use and not specifically targeted at DJs (HD-25 range) or studio use then they should already be tuned to match the natural audio response of your ears, and chances are that you aren't going to improve the mix of the album you're listening to with iTunes' limited band graphic equaliser.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Neurophonic posted:

Try turning off all the options under 'playback', so it looks like this:

Disable equaliser too, then it should be identical to Finder. Or at least it is in my tests.

As for EQ settings, there are no generic good settings. Each speaker setup/pair of headphones is different even in an acoustically perfect space such as an anechoic chamber, and the differences will be even more pronounced if you're in a room with hard surfaces for the sound to reflect off of and get caught up in. You can counter this with EQ if you take some time to tune it to your room. A good place to start is this site which explains common problems and has some tools to help suggest how to tackle them:
http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Acoustics/BadAcousticsInMyLivingRoo.html

Check the 'acoustics crash course' articles linked at the bottom too.

If your Sennheisers are for normal music listening use and not specifically targeted at DJs (HD-25 range) or studio use then they should already be tuned to match the natural audio response of your ears, and chances are that you aren't going to improve the mix of the album you're listening to with iTunes' limited band graphic equaliser.
Thanks a lot for this, very informative. I'll check out trying to turn everything off tomorrow and report back. The headphones are Sennheiser HD 205's which are great albeit quite tight but the sound is excellent.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sorry for the double post but just letting Neurophonic know that following the advice seems to have done the trick! Thanks!

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

Once again, Alex gets the jitters.
Anyone know why this is happening? I have selected them all, clicked get info and checked every box except track number to make sure everything is the same, but they are still separated..

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

helium muppet posted:

Anyone know why this is happening? I have selected them all, clicked get info and checked every box except track number to make sure everything is the same, but they are still separated..

Select them all, and on the album name change it to "Stay What You Are " with a trailing space. That should put them all into one album. Then edit it again to remove the space. If that doesn't fix it, then you may have a song or two saved under an compilation, the artist name might by slightly off ("Saves The Day " like before).

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

Once again, Alex gets the jitters.

IUG posted:

Select them all, and on the album name change it to "Stay What You Are " with a trailing space. That should put them all into one album. Then edit it again to remove the space. If that doesn't fix it, then you may have a song or two saved under an compilation, the artist name might by slightly off ("Saves The Day " like before).

Thanks! That worked. Any idea why it happened?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No clue, but that always fixes it for me when it gets dissociative identity disorder. It doesn't happen much anymore though.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

helium muppet posted:

Thanks! That worked. Any idea why it happened?

Another thing that always works for me when this comes up is to go to the "Sorting" tab and clear all the values in there. Sorting always seems to screw things up like that for me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Why the gently caress, when I put multi-part Audible files on my Shuffle, does it play them in reverse loving order?
No matter how I sort them in iTunes, it loving plays them last to first! :argh:

It's driving me loving nuts. :sigh:

11.0.2 (26)

Resetting to Factory Settings seems to have worked, but still... why did it gently caress up in the first place?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 29, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I added a bunch of podcasts via the Podcast app on my iPod touch, but they're not syncing with iTunes. I tried manually syncing, deleting the app, and adding some of the podcasts in iTunes directly, but still no dice. :psyduck: Music, TV shows, and movies sync just fine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

How do I stop iTunes from automatically rechecking the loving "Sync Music/Podcast/Books" boxes every time I put poo poo on my Shuffle?

I uncheck them, hit Apply, and when I put stuff back on it, it loving rechecks the box! :mad:

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Sharepod 4.0 is out. It's apparently been bought out by a new company, and it looks completely different now. It has an actual installer, and it requires the .net framework. On the plus side, it copies album art along with songs, now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

How do I stop iTunes from automatically rechecking the loving "Sync Music/Podcast/Books" boxes every time I put poo poo on my Shuffle?

I uncheck them, hit Apply, and when I put stuff back on it, it loving rechecks the box! :mad:

Have you tried restoring it to factory settings and then setting it up again?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I did that three days ago! :emo:

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
People,

As per this screen shot, I'm trying to compile a Top 100.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92027174/Screen%20Shot%202013-05-09%20at%2012.00.31%20PM.jpg

However, note that there are several songs listed with the same play count. (e.g. 34 & 32).

How do I list only one track per play count, i.e. play count is unique?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

binarysmurf posted:

People,

As per this screen shot, I'm trying to compile a Top 100.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92027174/Screen%20Shot%202013-05-09%20at%2012.00.31%20PM.jpg

However, note that there are several songs listed with the same play count. (e.g. 34 & 32).

How do I list only one track per play count, i.e. play count is unique?

Why would you want to do that? You'd be dropping out heavily played songs whenever they hit the same playcount as something else. And if you did manage to figure out a way to do this, given the screenshot you've shown, you'd never hit 100 songs, since your most-played only has 69 plays.

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm having an issue with episodes of a TV Show season not appearing in iTunes. Episodes 15-26 appear fine, but 1-14 don't appear at all. I ran episodes 14 and 15 through media info, and there's nothing different about the video and audio codecs. I've also double checked the tags, tried stripping and retagging the files but nothing. Is there something I'm missing or is iTunes being picky?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IceHawk posted:

I'm having an issue with episodes of a TV Show season not appearing in iTunes. Episodes 15-26 appear fine, but 1-14 don't appear at all. I ran episodes 14 and 15 through media info, and there's nothing different about the video and audio codecs. I've also double checked the tags, tried stripping and retagging the files but nothing. Is there something I'm missing or is iTunes being picky?

Are they in the library as another kind of file? For some reason if I rip a DVD and then put it into iTunes, they'll show up as a "Home Movie" as first until I tell it that they are TV episodes.

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat

IUG posted:

Are they in the library as another kind of file? For some reason if I rip a DVD and then put it into iTunes, they'll show up as a "Home Movie" as first until I tell it that they are TV episodes.

Nope, they're all tagged properly. It was the first thing I looked for.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Non-iPhone non-iTunes guy here with an iTunes question.

I am divorced and two of my kids have iPhones, purchased and paid for monthly by my ex. Their accounts are linked to hers so that they can purchase apps MP3s etc through her account (with her permission). I have MP3s that they want to put onto their phones. Is the best/easiest way to do this:

a) Get my wife's login credentials and log into iTunes on my computer as her
b) Burn the MP3s to a disc and give it to her
c) Use a third-party application of some kind
d) Something I haven't thought of.

I'm sure some of these options are boneheaded as there may be some really easy way around this; enlighten me? I have to think that I'm not the first person to have this issue.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Just put them on a USB Key. They'll plug it in and drag the files onto the iTunes window to add to the library and can sync normally. There's nothing inherently special about what music files can be put in the library or on the phone, you're not required to buy them from iTunes or in any way associate them with an account.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is there some upper limit to iTunes library sizes (Mac OS X)?

Recently converted my media setup to multiple Apple TVs that stream from a local iTunes library. Been converting lots of stuff to x264 and throwing it on there and I'm starting to notice that iTunes has gotten pretty laggy, I'm at around ~2.5TB right now. This is on i7 iMac with 16GB of ram and an SSD. Is it just going to get worse? Anything I can do to make it more snappy?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

rivetz posted:

b) Burn the MP3s to a disc and give it to her

carry on then posted:

Just put them on a USB Key.
These are the best way to do it. iPods/iPhones are all about "syncing" to one computer, and won't really let you add mp3s from another computer. Get the songs on her computer, then have the kids transfer them that way.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I recently lost the drive that held all of my music, I've now redownloaded it but now I have a small problem.

My iTunes installation is intact, which means all the songs are there but they just aren't in the same place as before so iTunes can't locate the files. I changed the iTunes music folder in settings, and that fixed the problem for some songs, but not for all.

Is there any way for iTunes to scan the whole folder and attach each song to the corresponding file, so I don't lose all the metadata?

Edit: I did read the OP but it seems to concern new installations where you're doing a 1-1 copy of your old music folder. I'm not sure that's the case here because some folders got renamed when I recovered my music.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Can't you just make a new iTunes directory and drag and drop the music back in? It should pick up what folders they should be in from the metadata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Tornhelm posted:

Can't you just make a new iTunes directory and drag and drop the music back in? It should pick up what folders they should be in from the metadata.

I was hoping to keep the playcounts, ratings, date added, etc.