Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

LttP2(?) impressions and videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4X-pg7w8KU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZtU94oOfuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Oxxidation posted:

It's good to see that the 3DS' library is finally expanding (which is more than I can say for the WiiU, ha-ha-ha-haaaa :negative:), but it still bugs me how completely tertiary its central gimmick is. At least it comes with an Off switch, unlike waggle.

I'll still probably pull the trigger on getting one at some point, it just keeps clanging in the back of my mind how much the useless 3D adds on to the price tag.
How much do you think it costs?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I thought the 3D was a dumb gimmick until I actually got a 3DS.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's interesting that they seem to have done away with arrows and maybe bombs?, replacing it all with an automatically recharging magic meter.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

GrandpaPants posted:

It's interesting that they seem to have done away with arrows and maybe bombs?, replacing it all with an automatically recharging magic meter.

This is such a welcome change.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh man that framerate is so drat smooth, I wonder if it's running at 60fps.

GrandpaPants posted:

It's probably just because it's a demo. That being said, the hammer seems to negate the need for bombs.

I cant imagine a Zelda game without arrows, though.

LTTP had like a billion items too. And upgradeable, if you threw them in the fairy fountain.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 18, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

GrandpaPants posted:

He fires arrows in the second video.

e: Or did you mean like arrows as ammunition? Yeah that might be gone, I didn't see any but I might be blind.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It seems more like a remake than a sequel, using the same dungeons and bosses.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

GameXplain got to try out Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and made a short video of their impressions of the game. It looks like a ton of fun so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M9eLt3sEnE

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

homeless snail posted:

This has been running for a couple days now, but Best Buy is running a B2G1 used game sale this week and they just restocked some of the games that had been sold out. Pretty good prices, too. Theatrhythm, Kingdom Hearts, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Harvest Moon, all $25 a pop, and a bunch of quality DS games for $10/$20. Fire Emblem is still out of stock unfortunately, but who knows, maybe it'll come back before Saturday.

Thanks for this. Layton, Super Mario World 3D and Kid Icarus for 50 bucks is a great deal.

Looks like Fire Emblem is back in stock too. Not sure if they'll ship it, though.

Edit: Yeah, looks like store pickup only for FE and Zelda.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

GameXplain got to try out Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and made a short video of their impressions of the game. It looks like a ton of fun so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M9eLt3sEnE

...Ohhhh, Pi'illo Island. I get it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Harlock posted:

It seems more like a remake than a sequel, using the same dungeons and bosses.

At least we have confirmation it's an all new game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The funny thing is that the dungeon order even almost seems the same from just that demo clip based on heart containers. 5 hearts would make it the second dungeon (Desert Palace), but you could always get the item, leave, and do the tower.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I never actually played LTTP, but I do love the 2D handheld Zeldas. I didn't realize how much I'd wanted a new 2D Zelda until watching those gameplay videos, but now I'm stupidly hyped.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is going to be the Evil Dead 2 of the Zelda franchise.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love me my physical games, but I'm sure as hell getting Animal Crossing digitally. It'll be nice to always have on me after I lose most interest in the game a year or so after so I can still do whatever daily things without having to swap out whatever the current big 3DS we're all playing is.

Edit: Isn't Liberation Maiden and Crimson Shroud on sale today? When does the eShop update?

This is exactly while I'll be getting mine digitally. I petered out on the Wii version after a couple months because it just seemed like so much hassle to boot up the console and whatnot. I think Animal Crossing does better, at least for me, on handhelds. This way, I can check my turnip prices whenever!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is going to be the Evil Dead 2 of the Zelda franchise.

So what you're saying is, it'll be the best game of the Zelda franchise?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

When he said that people in Luigi's dreams just compliment him all of my worries that this game would go down the same route as Sticker Star were dashed. :allears:

The videos of the new Zelda were everything I could have asked for too. I just hope the overworld is just as open as the first LttP.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Constable Lemon posted:

When he said that people in Luigi's dreams just compliment him all of my worries that this game would go down the same route as Sticker Star were dashed. :allears:

The videos of the new Zelda were everything I could have asked for too. I just hope the overworld is just as open as the first LttP.

I do have to say I was terrified at that too, though my worries went down when we got to pulling on Luigi's moustache to make platforms.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

NeoGAF user XenodudeX has compiled gameplay impressions and links to gameplay footage of the Link to the Past sequel/remake/whatever we're calling it in a thread, including another GameXplain video: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542679

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Even though I had a feeling it will be controlled via the circle pad and buttons rather than touchscreen only like Phantom Hourglass, I'm happy to see it confirmed and the game looking more awesome than the trailer shows. Count me in as excited for this. :)

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
NA is getting their Circle Pad Pro for the XL, but it's only available in the Nintendo Online Store.
Okay.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

horriblePencilist posted:

NA is getting their Circle Pad Pro for the XL, but it's only available in the Nintendo Online Store.
Okay.

Not having to step into a gamestop is a good thing imo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Not having to step into a gamestop is a good thing imo.

They will probably stock them soon, I see they stock the regular CPP. Would make more sense to own if more games were to at least make it an option to use it. I might get one to play Metal Gear, as I never did play 3.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I know that they have no business incentive for doing it because people will buy it anyway but I still wish they'd put demos like Zelda up in the eShop rather than make them available only to journalists or kiosk-only or whatever they're gonna do. They literally have no financial gain to make from doing it, so they won't. But I wish they would. I wish every game had a playable demo.

e: Also the fact that this is a retro game with heavily borrowed design and aesthetic makes me wonder if this game will be called New Legend of Zelda, ala New Super Mario Bros. I've been expecting Nintendo to apply the "New" formula to their other franchises for a while and the approach of this game kind of feels like it fits.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 18, 2013

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

I know that they have no business incentive for doing it because people will buy it anyway but I still wish they'd put demos like Zelda up in the eShop rather than make them available only to journalists or kiosk-only or whatever they're gonna do. They literally have no financial gain to make from doing it, so they won't. But I wish they would. I wish every game had a playable demo.
I agree. It feels like it would make too much sense for them to end their E3 conference with a "And for you at home, demos and trailers of the games we've just shown are available on the eShop now".

Besides the whole effort thing behind it, the only people this would be negative for would be game journalists and their precious exclusive impressions of stuff. And who honestly cares about them.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So where are save files for e-shop games stored? On the console or the SD card?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

mikeycp posted:

So where are save files for e-shop games stored? On the console or the SD card?

eShop games are stored on the SD card. DSiWare is stored on the system's RAM.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

eShop games are stored on the SD card. DSiWare is stored on the system's RAM.

Cool. I was concerned that I would be completely hosed if something happened to my copy of Animal Crossing, and all my save data would be un-backup-able.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

It's good to see that the 3DS' library is finally expanding (which is more than I can say for the WiiU, ha-ha-ha-haaaa :negative:), but it still bugs me how completely tertiary its central gimmick is. At least it comes with an Off switch, unlike waggle.

I'll still probably pull the trigger on getting one at some point, it just keeps clanging in the back of my mind how much the useless 3D adds on to the price tag.

If by "useless" you mean that it technically isn't required for most parts of games, then yes, I agree. Technically Nintendo never had to try and innovate when making the 3DS. Technically Nintendo could have also made just another Game Boy back in 2004, but they made the original DS instead, and look how well it and its new features got put to use.

mikeycp posted:

Cool. I was concerned that I would be completely hosed if something happened to my copy of Animal Crossing, and all my save data would be un-backup-able.

You might still be hosed if you lose your 3DS. Without a police report saying the system was stolen, Nintendo generally won't transfer purchase records to a new one, so you'd probably have to buy it again in that case.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I'm downloading Fire Emblem: Awakening as I write this. We'll see if I get any sleep tonight. :D

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Unless your eyes are horribly broken in some way you will probably never want to turn the 3D off. Stereo games are loving fantastic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I leave the 3D off, the ghosting is loving terrible in a lot of games (it's REALLY bad in Luigi's Mansion 2). When everything aligns perfectly it's amazing, but it often doesn't and that leads to headaches and muddy visuals.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arthe Xavier posted:

I'm downloading Fire Emblem: Awakening as I write this. We'll see if I get any sleep tonight. :D

I'm downloading it when it goes on the EU eShop in about 35 minutes. I don't download full games like this often but I have money on my 3DS account so it works out cheaper for me right now.

I also leave the 3D off all the time, I don't really get anything out of it except a headache.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I tend to leave the 3D off, it just becomes disorienting after a while.

Also if the new LttP game is just a remake well I'm still okay with that really, considering how old it is. If it means new kids get to play probably the best Zelda in the series then I'm all for it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I play with 3D off most of the time because unless you can sit at a desk or something with it held at the perfect angle it looks awful. I might be in the minority as somebody who actually takes this system outside with them but it's almost never worth the slightly prettier visuals.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I tend to leave the 3D-effect on. I'm completely entranced by it and can't imagine playing without it. That is unless I need to use the gyro controls on the 3DS, where it's preferable to turn it off, no way I'm enable to keep my head in the point of view to keep it working.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Question about Animal Crossing. To live in someone's town, do you still have to play on the same cartridge, or can you hook up online?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Having just recently got a 3DS, whether I leave 3D on or off depends on the game for me. For Monster Hunter, I found it to be terrible and it completely throws me off and gives me a headache. But for Fire Emblem it is SO COOL. Looking at the turn-based battles from overhead with the buildings standing up in 3D and on fire and whatnot, it's like looking through a window at some crazy pop-up boardgame diorama. I also like it in Soul Hackers, 3D works well for me for 1st person dungeon crawling. Maybe it's just best for turn-based stuff where you can look away frequently and don't have to be totally fixated on the game or have a slightly-off visual gently caress with your twitch reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Clevermuldoon posted:

Question about Animal Crossing. To live in someone's town, do you still have to play on the same cartridge, or can you hook up online?

Apparently you can have 3 additional players in the cart like in AC:WW, but the first player will always the mayor.

• Locked thread