Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Bob_McBob posted:

For anyone who ordered that cookware bundle from Walmart, you are definitely not getting anything other than the Dutch oven. However, customer service may offer to just let you keep it and refund the charge rather than shipping it back. My friend returned it before he got that e-mail, so he missed out on a free Dutch oven.
Yeah, I figured that, which is why I wasn't prepared to pay $90 shipping for a $30 dutch oven.
Speaking of shipping, CK2go has a sale on the masamoto knives I want, but $50 shipping for the two knives I wanted though, $40 for one :( Edit: free shipping in the US, that's just the postage charged if sent overseas, so some lucky goon could get a bargain if they live in the USA.

When I come back to Japanese knives, I guess I have to buy from japanesechefsknife.com.
Hopefully I can find a cleaver locally, as nothing decent on amazon (the only cheap postage/shipping place from USA to AU edit: and by cheap i mean it only cost me $92 shipping for a full set of pans, it's not cheap cheap or free, but reasonable), and I'm not going to pay $80 inc shipping from CK2G for a cck.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have been using a Faberware knife set for the last 10 years and I am looking to upgrade to better kitchen knives. I was wondering if anybody had a good recommendation on a good knife set or single knives (Chef, Slicer, Serrated, Boning)and type of material for the knife (ceramics, carbon steel, etc.)?

I am OK with getting a new complete set of knives but I have no issue with getting individual knives to make a good set for all around kitchen use. I am a avid cook and make meals for my family on a daily basis so a nice long lasting, comfortable knife will be a great upgrade for me. Price is not to much of a options, anywhere between $200-$400 dollar for a nice all around set.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Get this set. All you'll ever need at home, and only $120.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Edit: f,b.^ do that.

Rythe posted:

I have been using a Faberware knife set for the last 10 years and I am looking to upgrade to better kitchen knives. I was wondering if anybody had a good recommendation on a good knife set or single knives (Chef, Slicer, Serrated, Boning)and type of material for the knife (ceramics, carbon steel, etc.)?

I am OK with getting a new complete set of knives but I have no issue with getting individual knives to make a good set for all around kitchen use. I am a avid cook and make meals for my family on a daily basis so a nice long lasting, comfortable knife will be a great upgrade for me. Price is not to much of a options, anywhere between $200-$400 dollar for a nice all around set.

I would honestly recommend against a premade set. All you really need is a chef's knife and a paring knife. I would get those two first, then fill in the gaps as you see yourself needing. Was written a few times before but for knives you have 3 options.

Stainless steels are soft(ish). They hold a good edge but the edge rolls and bends with use. As a result they need to be honed frequently (like every time you pull them out to be used). Because they are soft, the more aggressive of an angle you put on one the more prone they are to rolling. The more you hone them, they eventually lose that edge, much like how when you bend a wire back and forth over and over again it eventually breaks. At that point they need to be sharpened.

Carbon steel knives are very hard but brittle. Their edges do not fold or bend, rather they just get dull over a much longer time period, they need to be sharpened once this happens (depending on frequency of use and alloy, once a month to once a year).

Ceramics are hard and brittle. They tend to be more affordable than carbon steel and don't stain. They are quite a bit more fragile than both. I would only use ceramics for prepping vegetables.

I'm pretty unabashedly a fan of Japanese knives. I find that you get significantly better products from there rather than the mass produced stuff from Europe that just ends up at Williams-Sonoma and Bed, Bath, and Beyond for wedding registries, but some people love their Henckels/Sabatiers/Wusthofs/etc, so if these interest you, someone else can probably help you find what you need.

There was a pretty nice discussion of chef's knives in the last two pages. In Japanese knives they're called gyutos. I think the Tojiro ITK Shirogami 240mm gyuto is a steal.

If you must have a boning knife, I think the forschner flexible boning knife is good. I have one, and I use it sometimes. They're pretty cheap. If you want something fancier I would ask if you would really use it that much to warrant spending much more. For me the answer was no, so I allocated more money toward something I would use a lot, namely the chef's knife.

I would ask the same thing about the serrated knife. How often are you really going to use it. Unlike the boning knife though, you can't sharpen serrated knives very well, so it, at best, is still a disposable knife with a useful lifetime. So I would go cheap here, too. Forschner makes one iirc. So does KAI. Either of those are probably fine.

Slicer...well, depends on what you want to use it for. If its mostly for slicing meat, you can do that with a gyuto/chef, especially a long gyuto like the tojiro above. My 240mm gyuto dwarfs my Sabatier slicer. If you want a dedicated slicer, I would check out some yanagibas.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Personally I prefer a sujihike to a yanigaba. The slightly thicker spine and less flexible metal feel better to me for meat fabrication.

Edit: and ck2g is now carrying Tojiro's kiritsuke. I have a purchase to make on payday.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 12, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think the Tojiro ITK Shirogami 240mm gyuto is a steal.
Anyone know anything about "Tojiro" as a manufacturer?
Yes I can't even buy the knife in your link as I said before, but funnily enough there's a brand available in AU called tojiro that has western style knives everywhere. No idea if it's the same manufacturer. If I try to google it like I do most other japanese knife brands, all I get is shopping links, rather than the usual chef.knife sites, so they seem to be very prevalent in Au
But it seems they only have western handles and either DP damascus or dp3 here in Aus.

But their knives are cheap and plentiful in the western designs here I have just found. Even a set of paring, gyuto and petty for $200.
http://www.everten.com.au/Tojiro-DP3-Chef-Knife-Set-3pc.html
edit: HA! went out of stock while writing this post. Before it showed one set left in stock.

oH, it seems like hype brought them to our lousy kitchenware shops because Heston Blumenthal liked Tojiro knives.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 12, 2013

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I have a set of single Henckel knives. What is a better knife that has the same heft and about the same balance as those?

Would it just be better to go to Williams Sonoma/Bed Bath Beyond/Restaurant supply and try out a few different knives?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Fo3 posted:

But their knives are cheap and plentiful in the western designs here I have just found. Even a set of paring, gyuto and petty for $200.
http://www.everten.com.au/Tojiro-DP3-Chef-Knife-Set-3pc.html

Yes, it's the same company. http://tojiro.net/en/products/knives.html

The answer to "what knife" should always be Tojiro DP. Tojiro Shirogami for professional work.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just bought a paring knife on a whim because everyone seems to think that a chef knife and a paring knife are all you need. The thing is, I use my chef knife for...pretty much everything! What types of stuff should I use a paring knife for??

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I just bought a paring knife on a whim because everyone seems to think that a chef knife and a paring knife are all you need. The thing is, I use my chef knife for...pretty much everything! What types of stuff should I use a paring knife for??

paring.

I know it's a bit brusk, but really that's what it's for. The cutting technique of paring. Anything you use that motion with. Prepping strawberries, cutting bananas, peeling apples or cucumber, etc. I like it for taking the tops off tomatoes, too, also taking off zest from citrus in strips.

Semirelated, there's nothing sadder than seeing someone try to use a paring knife like a chef's knife :(

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 12, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

The Midniter posted:

I only use it for getting that little bit of skin that a peeler can't get too after peeling using a regular swivel peeler on a potato/sweet potato/daikon/pumpkin etc. or cutting tops and tails or eyes etc on root veg that are sunken in. Or peeling a frozen banana, or peeling ginger, sometimes cutting tendons in meat as I don't have a boning knife.
The answer is: little things, fiddly things. To be honest I bought a crappy ceramic knife set that came with a paring knife a utility knife and a chefs knife, and the paring knife is the only good one in that set, I think the chefs knife broke.
But I could get along just fine with a utility/petty knife if I didn't buy that ceramic set, which is why I'm only interested in buy a good new chefs/gyuto and a utility/petty knife.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Speaking of which, looks like I missed out on that set with gyuto, petty knife and paring knife for $199.
But still possible to buy a tojiro DP3 240mm gyuto for $109.95 and a 150mm utility/petty for $70.
I'm going to sleep on it...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 12, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Skip the utility. I have one from way back when I went to culinary school and it came with our tool set. I have never had a use for it. It's too big for paring, and too small for things my gyuto does. Literally can't think of a use for it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GrAviTy84 posted:

Semirelated, there's nothing sadder than seeing someone try to use a paring knife like a chef's knife :(

Hey, it works with shallots <:niggly:>

But then again, I'm an uncultured boor who sold all their knives and now only uses one of those $25 Forschner chef's knives.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Hey, it works with shallots <:niggly:>

But then again, I'm an uncultured boor who sold all their knives and now only uses one of those $25 Forschner chef's knives.

No, no it doesn't, use a chef's knife. And nothing wrong with that $25 forschner, I'd use it over a Wusthof or Henckel.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Wow thanks for the amazing information on those knives, I am going to be making a decision on some of these knives here soon, can not wait to get a new set and put them to good work.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
After reading these comments I'm sort of curious what people here think of Global Knives. What's the rub on Global knives? If there's an obvious reason I'm not set against the Tojiro DP. I don't have a huge amount of experience but they feel nicely balanced and I like that they're all metal and no wood. I don't need a fancy damascus pattern or whatever, I'm not going to put them up on display. I was thinking of getting the Chef/Paring knives in this set (and maybe possibly that CCK Cleaver):

http://www.amazon.com/Global-G-2338-Starter-Utility-Paring/dp/B000KKUYCY/ref=pd_sbs_k_2

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 14, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I have a Global santoku and paring knife. They suck, only 55-56 RHC, don't hold an edge long, the handle is awkward, and bits of stuff will get stuck in the dimples.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I've only had Mundial knives (soft steel, easy to sharpen but requires frequent sharpening), a victornox 8" chefs, a Felix gloria-lux santoku and some cheap ceramic knives.
If you don't care about looks and just want a knife set that's useful, get the fibrox handled Victorinox/Forschner because they are cheap and good.
If you want something that looks better than fibrox handles, and don't want the rosewood because you don't want a wood handle, or you don't want a stamped knife like the Victornix/Forshner, my favourite knife is the Felix santoku, so maybe look into that brand (or Wusthof) . But I'm no professional chef or cook.

Holds an edge very well, better than Mundial and Victorinox/Forshner. I bought it for $40 during a clearance sale. Felix was bought out by Solicut I think, they aren't sold here any more in Australia since then, but I see them on Amazon now sometimes sold as Felix Solicut, or Solicut or just Felix.

late edit: For any aussie goons, these are good knives, and I have just found a place in Australia that sells them, cheaper than Amazon as well for a change, and free shipping in Aus. The website is hell slow though for some reason.
http://www.homewaresdirect.com.au/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=Felix+Solingen+Gloria+Lux

late late edit because I'm bored:
You could spend weeks trawling through various other knife and cooking forums to learn about knives, or just read what I just found:
http://www.thehealthybutcher.com/livetoeat/volume31/LiveToEat-Volume31-TheGuideToKnives.html

Site was down when I found it, but it appears up again. If it's down then just google it and read it through google cache. Or I can link the PDF version.

Did i say I was bored?
Looked up the Felix steel it's 4116 or X50CrMoV15 , HRC 56 but does hold it's edge For the record the Mundial knives I have that are way way too soft are HRC 52, that's just way too soft for every ones info, but the scale isn't linear and different alloys do strange things at different hardness HRC levels as well. But 56 seems OK on a good knife IMO with no funny business with the grind that is.

Looked up the steel in global knives
CROMOVA 18
- Yoshikin proprietary stainless steel for their brand Global knives. Cr indicates Chrome in the alloy, Mo is for Molybdenum and Va is for Vanadium. Exact chemical composition is unknown, except for 18% of Chromium in it, which is what 18 stands for in the name of the steel. Better performer compared to X50CrMoV15 types of steel. Highly stain resistant with pretty good edge holding ability.
sources:
http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/reviews/blade_materials.html#S_INOX
http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/articles/kkchoser/kksteelp2.shtml

Make it's interesting about the stories about global knives chipping or breaking in two though. If they are low HRC they shouldn't chip. Looks like what the other site said about may be the case, that they are hollow ground, so easier to chip and a PITA to self sharpen. Also the odd few that broke is probably due to the fact that they are stamped rather than forged, impurities in a batch of steel probably.

Also, like I said, before buying more knives I'm just going to try sharpen what I have and maybe a cheap new cleaver.
Most of you have heard of or maybe some will have and edge pro sharpening system? I think it's about $200-$300

Well the Chinese have got us poorer people covered:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370549539822
Faker edge pro
People down here have been buying that and raw stones from the US (congress tools) as the chinese stones are rubbish. Getting raw stones mean you have to mount them yourself (cutting some 3mm plastic or aluminium and some strong binding adhesive) and flattening the stones. Plus being cheap version you can't trust the angle, so get a digital angle meter from amazon, http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-AngleCube-Digital-Level-Bevel/dp/B002LL0BIC and there you go

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 14, 2013

SuicideDrink
Mar 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheQuietWilds posted:

After reading these comments I'm sort of curious what people here think of Global Knives. What's the rub on Global knives? If there's an obvious reason I'm not set against the Tojiro DP. I don't have a huge amount of experience but they feel nicely balanced and I like that they're all metal and no wood. I don't need a fancy damascus pattern or whatever, I'm not going to put them up on display. I was thinking of getting the Chef/Paring knives in this set (and maybe possibly that CCK Cleaver):

http://www.amazon.com/Global-G-2338-Starter-Utility-Paring/dp/B000KKUYCY/ref=pd_sbs_k_2

I'm not a super skilled home chef type person, or a person who is super into knives. For reference, I had a super crappy knife block set previous, and then got a 10" Victorinox chef's knife before getting the Global chef's and paring knives that are (presumably the same as) in the set you linked. I got the Global chef's knife for ~$80 "like new" from Amazon and something suitably cheap for the paring knife (i think around 40). My sister has the 8", so I was able to use it before I bought it. After that, I decided to get a better knife than what was in the crappy knife block set, which led me to the 10" Victorinox, which is nice, and way better than what I had before, but was still a little long and didn't feel quite solid to me. It felt a little cheap, but sturdy. I liked the feel of the Global, so when I found a good deal, I bought it.

If Chef de Cuisinart is talking about the dimples in the handle, I'm not experiencing getting anything stuck in the dimples. And again, I don't have too much to compare it to, but I feel like the edge is held pretty well. I don't sharpen it all that often and I do a fair bit of home cooking. In fact, I think it was that knife that split my middle finger after I reached for it with edge side out while doing the dishes.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

SuicideDrink posted:

I'm not a super skilled home chef type person, or a person who is super into knives. For reference, I had a super crappy knife block set previous, and then got a 10" Victorinox chef's knife before getting the Global chef's and paring knives that are (presumably the same as) in the set you linked. I got the Global chef's knife for ~$80 "like new" from Amazon and something suitably cheap for the paring knife (i think around 40). My sister has the 8", so I was able to use it before I bought it. After that, I decided to get a better knife than what was in the crappy knife block set, which led me to the 10" Victorinox, which is nice, and way better than what I had before, but was still a little long and didn't feel quite solid to me. It felt a little cheap, but sturdy. I liked the feel of the Global, so when I found a good deal, I bought it.

If Chef de Cuisinart is talking about the dimples in the handle, I'm not experiencing getting anything stuck in the dimples. And again, I don't have too much to compare it to, but I feel like the edge is held pretty well. I don't sharpen it all that often and I do a fair bit of home cooking. In fact, I think it was that knife that split my middle finger after I reached for it with edge side out while doing the dishes.

I've got a chef/paring Global set too and I've never had anything stuck in the handle dimples. I hone it before I use it every time but the edge has held pretty well on both of them too. Personally I just like the way they look and I'd rather have kitchen stuff I think looks good.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I've gotten wax and softer cheeses stuck in the dimples on mine, and the edge retention really isn't there for me. I have to steel 4-5 times a day, compared to my cleaver or tojiros at 1 or 2.

I've used a lot of knives, and I really think that Tojiro 2pc set is the absolute best deal for a home cook that wants something that looks nice, and offers a lifetime of performance.

I do have a soft spot for my global just based on the design, which is half the reason I haven't sold it.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Sounds like you're certainly using yours wayyy more than me and for a lot more stuff. I've also not used a ton of different chefs knives so my opinion on the edge retention is pretty unreliable.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think I want a smallish food processor. Maybe something like 5 cups? I have read that the Kitichen Aid big ones are good, how are their smaller ones?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

LTBS posted:

I have a set of single Henckel knives. What is a better knife that has the same heft and about the same balance as those?

Would it just be better to go to Williams Sonoma/Bed Bath Beyond/Restaurant supply and try out a few different knives?

fwiw, my girl has a set of henckels

I think the chef's knife in her set is sort of ok, but the rest is trash

whenever we're cooking together which is like 4 times a week, she always reaches for my MAC santoku : http://www.amazon.com/MAC-brand-Santoku-knife-SK65/dp/B0006MM4RE

it's a little lighter or whatever, but I love that knife. gonna get her/us the more expensive version soon, so we can quit racing for it. http://www.amazon.com/brand-Santoku-Knife-Bolster-MSK65/dp/B0006NKY16

if you want to stick with Solingen steel though, I think wüsthofs are great, and have a similar weight to them.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 15, 2013

*Commando_Elite*
Jan 19, 2001
Any recommendations for propane grills?

I'm looking at the Weber Genesis E-330 right now. Anybody have one of those or something similar they would recommend?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Weber is a solid choice, I don't know anyone that has regretted getting one. Whatever you get, make sure it has nice heavy grates that will hold and transfer heat well.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just an alert for those of you following BlenderChat 2013: my local Costco has the Blendtec TB-621-20 for $329.00 with a $30 instant rebate for a special price of $299.

It's their smaller Wildside jar, but it looks to be cheaper than on Amazon. So look into it but it may have just been on sale because the Costco we visited just opened this past week.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would ask the same thing about the serrated knife. How often are you really going to use it. Unlike the boning knife though, you can't sharpen serrated knives very well, so it, at best, is still a disposable knife with a useful lifetime. So I would go cheap here, too. Forschner makes one iirc. So does KAI. Either of those are probably fine.

Unless you mean one of those tiny, stupid knives they use to pad out their knifesets (tomato knives etc), a good, sturdy serrated knife is great to have. Not just for bread, but for chopping nuts and chocolate.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

shrug. I was actually just being diplomatic. I don't think serrated knives are useful at all. I get cleaner cuts of bread with my gyuto and cut choc and nuts fine vOv. They're just tools, get the ones you need, pass on the ones you don't, unless you just want a full workshop for bragging rights :3:

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone used these grill grates before or have a suggestion on them?
https://www.cast-iron-grate.com/

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

I see that there. posted:

Has anyone used these grill grates before or have a suggestion on them?
https://www.cast-iron-grate.com/

I have a the full set and griddle top for both my Large BGE and my 22" Weber Kettle. I highly recommend them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have one for my BGE as well. Highly recommended but I need to refinish mine due to rust.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I heard thermapens were heavily recommended by at $96 a pop it seems really pricey. Are there really no other instant read thermometers out there that are cheaper? Alternatively, are there any sales/discounts on these things? The first page had a few but it's years old.

stochastastic
Jun 5, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I heard thermapens were heavily recommended by at $96 a pop it seems really pricey. Are there really no other instant read thermometers out there that are cheaper? Alternatively, are there any sales/discounts on these things? The first page had a few but it's years old.

The thermapens use thermocouples that are more expensive than the much cheaper thermistors. The thermapens get to temp much faster and are more accurate (they come hand-calibrated). I've used mine for a long time, and it's great. I think it's well worth the money. I've used mine for making sure my immersion circulator was working properly, measuring cooking oil, temping meats, temping bread, temping water, etc.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
If you want instead read, then no.
When I was in HVAC a decent fast thermometer was $100 minimum. Though I paid that mainly because thermometers at that price were possible to calibrate myself (had knobs to adjust depending on probe type), I'm not sure if you can calibrate the thermopen anyway
If are prepared to wait 15sec, and I would if you can't calibrate the thermopen anyway, then nearly every HVAC shop sells a basic thermometer with the same type of tip.
Looks like this:

Very ubiquitous in HVAC, tons of different brands printed on the front, every company sells them as their house brand thermometer.
Been in the field for 20 years as the first digi therm, single AAA battery, pointed probe good fro stabbing into flexible ductwork to get an air temp. the probe and wand in on a 1m cable tucked away behind the battery cover, so you can pull the cable out or keep it tucked in there like the photo.
Most HVAC wholesalers have their own branded and coloured version for about $30. the key is if they are the same shape and only have two visible buttons (the rest are under a slide panel), then it's most likely the same thing. I can't vouch for anything that looks any different at all though.
Can't calibrate them though, so for work I hardly used them unless I needed to stab flexi duct for an air temp. There's better thermometers that I can calibrate that I used for pipe temp, and air temp when not needing to stab flexi duct.
Try heatcraft and carrier wholesalers I guess as I don't know any other US refrig company.

edit: Forget that, I just remembered you have to check the max temps a thermometer can read, I don't think the cheapies can go above 50C
I have thermometers that can read cooking temp range easily and are instant, but they were about $100 anyway

Double edit: I'm wrong, the CPS TM50 can read up to 260C according to airefrig
http://airefrig.com.au/file/price_guide/2012_mar/494-501.pdf
Like I said though, takes about 10sec for a reading so they are not instant.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 19, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The thermapen is absolutely worth the money no question whatsoever. It is the cheapest fast thermometer that is also splashproof. I dropped mine in a pot of stock the other day. Works just fine. The tip is also nice and thin so you don't mangle your food more than you need to.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

BraveUlysses posted:

I have one for my BGE as well. Highly recommended but I need to refinish mine due to rust.

I make sure to liberally spray mine with oil after every use, while it is still hot and cooling off, and it has yet to rust on me, even staying outside in the florida weather.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of - I was gifted a Maverick wireless BBQ thermometer. That thing owns, and if you do any smoking, grilling of moderate items, or even do any oven roasting, and want to not sit around, this thing let's you go anywhere within 300 feet of wherever the probes are and keep tabs on it.

Even if you just stick it in a chicken in the oven and then want to go down to your rec room or whatever, it's totally awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'm probably going to offend a number of people in here when I relate my sub-par cooking skills, but I really need help finding a fry pan and/or a saute pan. The reason I've come here to ask you guys is because I've only read conflicting advice everywhere, so now I'm completely incapable of making a decision.

We got a non-stick saute Scanpan like a year ago but it's crapped out on us. I had no idea that olive oil had such a low smoking point and since I do most of my cooking on medium-high, the pan is now covered in an unsightly layer of blackness that makes everything stick to it. I've learned from this and will be cooking with rice bran oil from now on, but I still need a new pan. I'm looking for a pan (or two pans) that I can use to cook veggies (also for stir fries, woks are too big for my stove), meat, eggs, potatoes, pancakes, pasta sauces, risotto, and bacon. I'm happy to get a cheaper non-stick pan for cooking eggs, since that's the only advice I saw everywhere. I wouldn't mind getting a cast iron frypan, but I'm still worried that my eggs, pancakes, and any meat rubbed with spices will stick to it. Should I go for stainless steel? I don't mind using oil to cook, so long as I don't have to use a thick coat to keep everything from sticking.

I should also mention that my apartment has lovely electric cooking.

General recommendations as well as specific lines/brands would be great. I'm in Australia, for reference.

• Locked thread