Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've honestly never seen this cultish desire to create and publish fake songs like I have with Daft Punk.

It happens with Metallica sometimes, but honestly fake Metallica is not even a fraction as common as fake Daft Punk. Is it wanna-be DJs trying to get their name out there, or are people so delusional and impatient for new material that they spend their time making music they think sounds like Daft Punk?

I can't find a good reason for this annoying loving phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Claw posted:

I think it's really funny that someone called the comedy of everybody hating on yesterday's leak saying it was "so bad it couldn't be Daft Punk." Now they either have to hate the album they've been hyped on for months, or they have to eat their words. "That outro synth is so generic - they'd definitely use analog if it was them." "No way the guy in the verses is Pharrell - he has a different accent." All of these people get a Gold Award in music production knowledge. The end of the discussion should have been the fact that Pharrell's vocals were solo'd over the handclaps - there is no possible way to do that without access to the track.

As someone who thought the original leak with the new verses was fake, I'm not so sure that this means I 'have to hate the album' or even the song*. I mean, clearly I was wrong, but the variance in the production quality of the new, unmixed verses with the bridge and chorus from the Coachella teaser was pretty overwhelming, at least to my ears. Guess I've never heard unmixed vocals next to mixed vocals from the same track next to each other! Just makes me appreciate the wonders of production/mixing all that much more (and realize how much more work I have to do in my own amateur music production). And yeah, I am pretty surprised that the lyrics so closely match Pharrell's interview - this came across as too convenient for me to think it was real, but I never thought the lyrics were bad, per se - they're just typical fun, DP-ish lyrics. Glad I didn't bite on that Toxx bet, though.

Also, maybe I missed something with the vocals soloed over the handclaps as the 'smoking gun' but isn't that just the same as what is around :40 in the Coachella teaser? Seems like the leaked versions have been pulled from the sites I found them on, so I can't cross-reference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pefow5Kp_W4&t=40s

*edit: to be clear, I think the song is awesome, and the back-and-forth with the leaks and unmixed and mixed versions is just another fun part of the hype rollercoaster IMO

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The FBI is holding a press conference about Reddit's research on Obviously Fake Pharrell at 8pm EST, fyi.

e: postponed to 10pm.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

hemophilia posted:

I've honestly never seen this cultish desire to create and publish fake songs like I have with Daft Punk.

It happens with Metallica sometimes, but honestly fake Metallica is not even a fraction as common as fake Daft Punk. Is it wanna-be DJs trying to get their name out there, or are people so delusional and impatient for new material that they spend their time making music they think sounds like Daft Punk?

I can't find a good reason for this annoying loving phenomenon.
Eh, artists with particularly fervent fanbases (particularly artists whose sound can be roughly copied without too much trouble) run into it. Aphex Twin's run across it, and there was a pretty broadly distributed fake leak of Boards of Canada's The Campfire Headphase back when that came out (I know someone who bought into it so much that when it was revealed as a fake, he maintained that the fake leak was better than the actual album)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SyRauk posted:

I'm in my mid-20s but back when I was 18 and working at Disney World this young couple and their toddler walked into my store, the toddler was wearing a Daft Punk shirt his mom had made him so I asked him what his favorite song was and to my total surprise he blurts out "Da gently caress!" which made the whole store erupt into laughter. I knew he meant Da Funk so I gave him 2 extra free pins because that kid is awesome.

Point being, the people who grew up listening to DP will pass down their knowledge to their children.

Funny enough, my wife is due with our first kid on May 21st. :dance:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Can we be certain Daft Punk has ever actually released an album?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

echronorian posted:

Can we be certain Daft Punk has ever actually released an album?

Hoping Human after all was a fake

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Human After All really WAS a fake, they just ran with it so they could do Alive 2007.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I'm taking my Alive 2007 tour shirt out of retirement tomorrow. I just hope it hasn't been eaten by moths. :unsmith:

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992

resident posted:

Serious question...is Daft Punk considered old people's electronic by kids in their teens and early 20s or have they developed a timeless image? I'm in my late 20s and I could definitely see a younger crowd not being quite as receptive to this if they didn't grow up with Homework and Discovery. Its a fairly different sound compared to most modern electronic.

If they arent down with it, gently caress them.

Really hoping this album ushers in an updated standard of quality within dance/pop music.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Kerk posted:

Really hoping this album ushers in an updated standard of quality within dance/pop music.

With some by numbers disco house that wouldn't've sounded particularly fresh had Madonna done it in the late '90s? I like the song but come the gently caress on geezer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Only 4 more hours of bickering left!!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Hope this is the real image for the single:

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Kerk posted:

If they arent down with it, gently caress them.

I'm a huge Daft Punk fan, but lol, just enjoy the music, this isn't going to change any paradigms, its just a group you like making music you like.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

We can dream about big room electro house dying out in favor of live disco but I have a feeling the kids are not going to want to rage to this album

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

text editor posted:

Hope this is the real image for the single:

I love this. It totally reminds me of late seventies, early eighties cheap album covers.

VVV. Oh wow, I haven't seen that in decades.

CannedMacabre fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 19, 2013

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
That's not supposed to be a nod to THX-1138?

edit: it is!

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 19, 2013

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

SyRauk posted:

That's not supposed to be a nod to THX-1138?

Not everyone has seen every George Lucas film. Although they might know THX as the OH MY GOD MY loving EARS I JUST WANTED TO SEE A MOVIE! splash screen.

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992

Ras Het posted:

With some by numbers disco house that wouldn't've sounded particularly fresh had Madonna done it in the late '90s? I like the song but come the gently caress on geezer.

Its obviously a stretch but hey, one can hope! I wouldn't mind going back to the way pop music sounded in the early 2000's.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Kerk posted:

Its obviously a stretch but hey, one can hope! I wouldn't mind going back to the way pop music sounded in the early 2000's.

No, you really do not. It wasn't all Moby and Outkast.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
It leaked at 256. It sounds so good :allears:

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992

The Walking Dad posted:

No, you really do not. It wasn't all Moby and Outkast.

Sorry you are right, Moby and Outkast were the only 2 artists making good music back then. My bad. :frogout:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

resident posted:

My thought was that while Daft Punk arguably made DJs relevant on the festival scene, they haven't received the same amount of radio play/exposure that guys like Skrillex, Deadmau5, Avicii, Calvin Harris, etc have lately. This coupled with the funk/soul roots of Get Lucky just made me wonder if there will be some resistance amongst the younger party crowd thinking it's like their "parents' music" or something. Either way, I really like Get Lucky and will continue partying with Daft Punk til I die (or have kids or whatever):corsair:

You obviously don't remember how stupid popular one more time was. Daft punk is pretty much timeless and its rare these days to have an album this anticipated nowadays. You don't see this kind of excitement from the current big djs right now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Deviantfish posted:

:siren: DEFCON 3 :siren:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Yo if you want to (god forbid) use Xbox Music/Zune Store you can buy the single right now instead of waiting two and a half hours. But then you'd have to use Xbox Music so ehhh...

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So I guess the leak WAS the real one. Probably a demo.

There are a couple bits that bug me, though. Pharrell's first ah-ah at 00:26 sounds really odd for some reason, and that one verse is truncated poorly. Plus the outro's a little unusual too...

Still, it's good. I'm hoping these are changes made for the radio edit and the full version will be even better.

garney
Jul 21, 2007
It's good, just feels a bit flat. Not enough vocoder, still waiting for the full track, I need to know where that synth leads too!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Deviantfish posted:

The one that's being released at midnight? Does it sound different than the one we heard yesterday?

Or is this a troll? Oh god, it probably is :smithicide:

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
It's the same track as the leak, but mixed better.

edit: Pharrell kind of sounds really stoned; I love love it.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

From the leaks I've heard so far, I don't know why they left the "Lucky" out of the first part of the vocoder part (i.e., "We're up all night to get..... we're up all night to get....") Maybe it's because my brain is used to the way things segue from the SNL ads, but it just sounds off.

That being said, I literally listened to this song like 30 times today. Literally in the true definition of the word.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

SgtScruffy posted:

From the leaks I've heard so far, I don't know why they left the "Lucky" out of the first part of the vocoder part (i.e., "We're up all night to get..... we're up all night to get....") Maybe it's because my brain is used to the way things segue from the SNL ads, but it just sounds off.

That being said, I literally listened to this song like 30 times today. Literally in the true definition of the word.

I'm chalking it up to robot fuckery and I think the progression of the full sentence makes it sound way better at the end when everything is mixed in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Drake Bate posted:

It's the same track as the leak, but mixed better.

edit: Pharrell kind of sounds really stoned; I love love it.

So they didn't change up the loop for the radio edit at all? Man, that's kind of a bummer :(

Maybe the full version will make it sound more...well, full. The radio edit's still good, but it sounds like it could have been more than it is.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidgaFW3Js4

I don't know if this is fake or whatever, but at 2:58 you can hear the vocoder track switch it up and say "we called in sick to get lucky".

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Heard it on LA radio about ~10 mins ago. Amazing.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Amazon has price listed.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The one that's being released at midnight? Does it sound different than the one we heard yesterday?

Or is this a troll? Oh god, it probably is :smithicide:

Its legit.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

This is good.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Is the one they're selling the radio edit? If so that's pretty lame.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Radio edit's on iTunes. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/get-lucky-radio-edit-feat./id636967993

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Handen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidgaFW3Js4

I don't know if this is fake or whatever, but at 2:58 you can hear the vocoder track switch it up and say "we called in sick to get lucky".
Yeah, this is real. There's a 256MP3 of the radio edit that just leaked though and I must say that youtube video sounds like absolute poo poo compared to listening to it at a fairly decent quality.

Song owns though. If the rest of the album is like this I will be an extremely happy camper.

• Locked thread