Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Helical Nightmares posted:

This is a much better idea than you think it is. If you are able to bang this out, even as a flash game I'm sure you will draw attention if not some serious cash (albeit possibly briefly).

Political satire is a mostly untapped source for videogame inspiration.

I had time to spare... I think I should have slept.

http://youtu.be/infXfcqxYM4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
I'd buy that for a dollar.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Feenix posted:

Any of you fine folks play that new Free to Play Golf Star game?

I'm liking it so far but hoping it doesnt get super grindy or iap-hungry

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Juc66 posted:

I'd buy that for a dollar.

HaHa yeah but for that it would need 50 levels, and some IAP and Ads... Otherwise its not an IOS game right!

Might release it for free or something but need a loads of levels doing and then Apple will probably laugh it out their sandpit.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan went free for a limited time.

Feenix posted:

Any of you fine folks play that new Free to Play Golf Star game?

It's all right but I've only been putzing around the single player so far.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LIMBO KING posted:

It's all right but I've only been putzing around the single player so far.

I've recently been pining for a Mario Golf 64/Hot Shots Golf stand-in on iOS and its a decent replica.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jim Silly-Balls & Limbo King, what are your Gamecenter IDs? (also, anyone else who wants to play this really, really solid golf game with us.)

Post em up! :)

I'm having a surprisingly good time with Golf Stars.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, it's missing that Nanaca Crash/Burrito Bison thing of having extra stuff to bounce off that do different things. I do like the little bit of strategic element - like knowing you are high on distance but low on skips for your last throw and choosing what fish to use accordingly. Still, pretty simplistic, but not bad for a buck.
I think it kind of is bad for a buck, to be honest. My standards for Halfbrick may be higher because they brought us two solid iOS classics, but there's basically nothing to this game. It looks pretty but the skill ceiling is incredibly low; there's very little interaction once you've sent your fish on its way and even the gem unlock things don't do anything exciting. It looks nice but there's almost no game there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Feenix posted:

Jim Silly-Balls & Limbo King, what are your Gamecenter IDs? (also, anyone else who wants to play this really, really solid golf game with us.)

Post em up! :)

I'm having a surprisingly good time with Golf Stars.

Mattydiah

I have to say I'm having more fun with it than I thought I would

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

TACD posted:

I think it kind of is bad for a buck, to be honest. My standards for Halfbrick may be higher because they brought us two solid iOS classics, but there's basically nothing to this game. It looks pretty but the skill ceiling is incredibly low; there's very little interaction once you've sent your fish on its way and even the gem unlock things don't do anything exciting. It looks nice but there's almost no game there.

I bought it based on a good Hodapp the Bat Person review, Halfbrick's track record and the price point. It has IAP but you can score high without it (got a 9.7 just now), and I'm hoping that if it does well they'll add additional content like they did with Jetpack. As-is it's decent but on the shallow side.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

LIMBO KING posted:

So... Tower of Fortune got a prequel:

Don't include a link or name or anything.

e. Fank yew VVVVVVVVVVVV

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 19, 2013

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Corridor posted:

Gargoyle ruins - EDIT: A wild mod appears! Mod tries "not being lazy." It's super effective.

iTunes Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrJMtKPwXFQ

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 19, 2013

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

obi_ant posted:

Halfbrick's new game came out. Out of Water. Game is pretty simple, grab a fish and skip it. I joined the SomethingAwful league. Only 4 members so far.
Halfbrick games are a day 1 purchase for me. I've spent about 15 mins playing Fish Out of Water and while it is pretty simplistic, all the challenges will keep me playing for a while. They've got a great track record of updating their games as well. Worth the purchase.

On another topic: I'm getting a bit tired of seeing games with "retro" graphics. I don't need fully rendered amazing looking 3D masterpieces, but there's plenty of horsepower available to drive these games. Luna Bears, Kingdom Rush, Plants V Zombies, Rune Raiders, even Triple Town - all these games have really nice 2D graphics.

psylent fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 19, 2013

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Feenix posted:

Pumpkin Magician

Corridor posted:

Whoops sorry about that, luckily it got taken care of already.

LIMBO KING fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 19, 2013

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Is there an easy way to choose between slash'EM and POWDER?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Apocron posted:

If you want complex old-school stuff and lightsabers, Nethack-styled "gently caress you, you die" situations, and silly stuff, go Slash'Em. If you want simplified (to a degree), slightly more sensible stuff with a better learning curve, go POWDER.

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

Capntastic posted:

If you want complex old-school stuff and lightsabers, Nethack-styled "gently caress you, you die" situations, and silly stuff, go Slash'Em. If you want simplified (to a degree), slightly more sensible stuff with a better learning curve, go POWDER.

I read that the UI for Powder isn't so great. I considered getting it anyway, but it's not universal either which is a dealbreaker for me (ipad).

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Reciprocator posted:

I read that the UI for Powder isn't so great. I considered getting it anyway, but it's not universal either which is a dealbreaker for me (ipad).

iOS roguelikes almost all have compromised UIs, so don't sweat it too much.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
Speaking of rogue likes, a twitter post by Foursaken Media (Bug Heroes, NY Zombies, Heroes & Castles, Block Fortress), their next game is going be a mix of rouge like and monster collecting/breeding.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FoursakenMedia/status/324342413063770112

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
My exploration of the roguelike genre has only lasted, like, a week so far, but after writing off Brogue ("too hardcore; need graphics"), that's what I spent last night playing.

After spending some time with Rogue Touch, then Slash'EM (with a little meh NetHack HD in the middle), I apparently picked up a decent selection of the NetHacking ultra-basics. Just simple stuff; like how to survive/thrive on the first few levels, a few good monster tactics, decent equipment to keep an eye out for, methods of identifying items, etc. Now that a bunch of small-fry stuff in Brogue seems a lot more familiar, the game as a whole seems less impenetrable, and for the first time I haven't been distracted by the graphical element at all.

On the other hand, gently caress YOU loving BROGUE YOU GODDAMNED SON OF A BITCH

Apocron posted:

I'm glad I played POWDER first. It has some interesting mechanics that you might not find in NetHack, and the learning curve let me get a few characters far enough in to start feeling a real sense of accomplishment. For example, my best character was a really pious barbarian. After strictly sticking to H'ruth's commandments for quite some time (no magic or ranged combat), he became something of a teacher's pet. Sometimes if a battle was going poorly, the rad god of barbariany stuff would bless me with healing. Once, when I got my dumb rear end petrified by a cockatrice, H'ruth shouted down from on high [paraphrasing]. "gently caress being a statue, son... *POOF* You're living flesh again; go gently caress that chicken up."

Up to this point, I haven't really gotten a NetHack/Slash'EM character far enough along to feel that level of depth or engagement.

Also POWDER does have an evil sinful terrible abominable Save Scum (reload after dying) feature, which has lots of potential for abuse, but can also be pretty handy for new players... When things suddenly go tits up within a couple turns, you can jump back and examine exactly what went wrong or what you might have done better. Some kernel of knowledge gained this way might help you stay alive next time around.

Another reason to try POWDER first is that one you get sucked into NetHack stuff, it might keep you enthralled for a good long while, so it might be good to have some fun with an alternative roguelike experience while you still can.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 19, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Stormfang1502 posted:

Speaking of rogue likes, a twitter post by Foursaken Media (Bug Heroes, NY Zombies, Heroes & Castles, Block Fortress), their next game is going be a mix of rouge like and monster collecting/breeding.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FoursakenMedia/status/324342413063770112

Uhhhh. Yes. I love these guys. One (or more) of 'em is a goon too. Get in here and talk!

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Hey Roguelike guy, do you write for Cult of Mac or is this a coincidence that they have a story that's basically identical to your roundup posts- http://www.cultofmac.com/221748/the-best-roguelike-games-on-mac-ios-feature/ ?

You should write for TouchArcade instead. :P

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

io_burn posted:

Hey Roguelike guy, do you write for Cult of Mac or is this a coincidence that they have a story that's basically identical to your roundup posts- http://www.cultofmac.com/221748/the-best-roguelike-games-on-mac-ios-feature/ ?

You should write for TouchArcade instead. :P

Heh, no, I did a lot of searching around for roguelike recommendations, but I hadn't seen that particular article. [Although I'd love to write some proper articles for a decent gaming site; anyone feel free to recruit me. :q: ]

A couple of those OSX-based games look cool, although I probably shouldn't let myself touch any Windows/OSX roguelikes. Once I open that can of worms, I doubt I'd get any work done ever again.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
King Cashing 2 tip: The endgame enemies become 6000% easier once you buy a cursed kitten and hit with him enough times cumulatively in fights to turn him into applecat. 10 poison damage until the end of the fght per hit.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Should we be concerned that a couple of people said they were going to try Vendetta Online and get back to us and have never been heard from again. Is that a good sign or a bad one?!

While on the subject of other people trying things first, did anyone buy the Wrestling Booker game?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Fazana posted:

While on the subject of other people trying things first, did anyone buy the Wrestling Booker game?

Is that the MDickie one? I was gonna get it, but apparently you have to actually play the matches anyway so it didn't really spark my interest. I already have the other MDickie wrestling game, I don't want to shell out $5 just to book my own matches and have to watch them play out.

All I want is a wrestling booking sim, come on iOS!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

triplexpac posted:

Is that the MDickie one? I was gonna get it, but apparently you have to actually play the matches anyway so it didn't really spark my interest. I already have the other MDickie wrestling game, I don't want to shell out $5 just to book my own matches and have to watch them play out.

Yeah, I didn't know you had to actually play the matches before I bought it and started playing. The game's like 5% booking and 95% wrestling. I was bummed; that wasn't what I was looking for at all. Uninstalled the same day.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Trustworthy posted:

[Although I'd love to write some proper articles for a decent gaming site; anyone feel free to recruit me. :q: ]

umm, I think io_burn just did, seeing as he's like the EIC at TouchArcade...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Golf Star Chat:

Ok I added a friend on Com2Us and I see him in my list. How do I play one on one with him? the 1:1 MP mode chooses randoms. The "Friend Invite Match" says I need a minimum of 5 players...

This can't be that complex, right?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Anyone want to give me some sweet Dungeon Raid tips?

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Collect long chains and don't pool swords. Enemy difficulty ramps up based on turns taken, so clearing board faster = more coins/shields whatever.

Most of the skill aren't great, try to get collection skills like Treasure/Repair/Heal or Skill Elixir since they don't increase your turn counter. Treasure & Treasure Chamber is a powerful combo that will keep your weapon skill high into the end game.

For upgrades, ignore things like defense/blunting/spikes and keep weapon damage and luck high. Health and any upgrades that give a 5% boost (up to a max of 100%) are good. There are GP, XP, and Repair+ skills you get at .25x a time and stack 8 times - grab those first if you are offered them.

Make sure you are playing on normal or harder if you want to unlock other classes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Resources are everything. Spend your level-ups on skills and stats that will give you bonus chances until they're maxed out. Spend your shields and coins on increased coins/shields/xp whenever possible, otherwise weapon damage and armour in that order. Clump shields as much as possible since you'll only get upgrade progress when your armour is maxed out, and pick up something that lets you grab all the health pots at once because they will always be in your way - either the Skill Elixir or Heal, preferably Skill Elixir.

Big Game Hunter is a great early game skill but will become too risky to use in the end-game when they start out-scaling your ability to kill them - conversely, Banish and Teleport will almost never get used until the end-game for the same reason. Skill Elixir and Enchant are great long-term upgraders, and Treasure Chamber only wears off when you take a turn so you can pop it before a collect-all skill and get two drops of pure coins.

Once you unlock the Raider, max it out because the Halfling and Masochism are basically the best combination in the game as the free armour lets you concentrate on your other stats - combined with Steal it's basically an upgrade money shot. Grab a Quick attribute on your accessory when it comes up - Lifesteal never gets amazing, but it's a nice refiller if you've taken Skill Elixir and are gobbling all your health pots away and will replace Regenerate later in the game when your damage is in triple digits and theirs is in doubles.

I've never figured out if Dexterity and Repair are actually two different bonuses, or if Rune can ever be used effectively.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 19, 2013

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

triplexpac posted:

Yeah that was the one I rather inaccurately meant and I'm glad I didn't buy it sight unseen now either then from the resulting comments. The other game does everything we'd want it to do for actual wrestling shenanigans. He's still actively devving for it as well as there was a new patch only this week so thankfully it's not like he has dumped support, yet anyway.

As for booking, for what it's worth there is this http://appshopper.com/games/wrestling-manager but no clue on it's decency.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I love this game(Dungeon Raid), but every time I reinstall it and start to play I feel like I'll never unlock anything new. I guess I feel like it's a rough combination of me being bad/a dumb leveling system. But, perhaps, I'm the dumb one. :iiam:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

I love this game(Dungeon Raid), but every time I reinstall it and start to play I feel like I'll never unlock anything new. I guess I feel like it's a rough combination of me being bad/a dumb leveling system. But, perhaps, I'm the dumb one. :iiam:

Are you playing on easy? You don't unlock anything on easy. Play the Adventurer on Normal until you unlock everything you want, then play your class of choice. Also, Banishing boss skills will not count towards your 30 boss kill unlock.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Bummey posted:

Are you playing on easy? You don't unlock anything on easy. Play the Adventurer on Normal until you unlock everything you want, then play your class of choice. Also, Banishing boss skills will not count towards your 30 boss kill unlock.

Is that how I get a trophy? Every 30 boss kills in one game? That doesn't sound terrible, for some reason I thought it was a larger number.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Here is a review for king's cashing 2. It is a buggy piece of poo poo, don't buy it. I have tried 3 times to get a full party, but do to the poo poo coding, I permanently never get team members. This means having to play large part of chapter 1 without a full team, which is boring and frustrating. I even waited 3 months for the big update and they still didn't solve the problem.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 20, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

Is that how I get a trophy? Every 30 boss kills in one game? That doesn't sound terrible, for some reason I thought it was a larger number.

Every 30 boss kills, but they don't have to all be killed in one game. You can kill 5 in one game, 20 in the next, and 5 in the next and on that last kill you will get a Trophy which will either unlock a new class if playing Adventurer, or have a 50/50 chance to unlock a new class or level up your currently played non-adventurer class.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

I had time to spare... I think I should have slept.

http://youtu.be/infXfcqxYM4

Needs more songs about Dear Leader https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmI2yDAyWYI

Even if you don't have time to finish it, I had a good laugh.

Also, enjoy your membership on the exclusive CIA watch list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Fazana posted:

As for booking, for what it's worth there is this http://appshopper.com/games/wrestling-manager but no clue on it's decency.

This is a terrible game with tons of features locked behind IAP. I got it for free and regretted wasting my time.

• Locked thread