Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

This is the side of a rolling ad for a flower show in Cherry Hill, NJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

For which one, coolant or oil? OBD are required to monitor coolant temps for emissions control but I don't think the same is true for oil, and I don't think most cars actually come with oil temp sensors from the factory, so maybe that's what your extra sensors are for.

Oil pressure and boost. Both of which you can get off OBDII. It also has oil temp, which I'm not sure you can get.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

red19fire posted:

Honestly if we're talking about animes on cars, this is probably the least offensive one posted so far.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Honestly if we're talking about animes on cars, this is probably the least offensive one posted so far.

I choose to believe it's owned by a florist.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Black88GTA posted:

Is there any way to switch useless overly damped gauges into real ones? Maybe by replacing the appropriate senders?

Related - are the cars sold anywhere that's not the US dumbed down with the same stupid poo poo, or do they get real indicators? I feel like Europeans wouldn't stand for that. My (probably dumb) thought was to acquire proper senders (possibly from the euro cars) and replace the ones in my BMW with those. I like knowing what's going on drat it :(

On some toyota gauges its a case of replacing some resistors on the boards that control the gauge movement to get yourself an accurate gauge.

The temp gauges on both my toyotas are dampened, which is a bit of an issue on the 1KZ-TE powered one since they tend to crack heads as soon as they overheat, which with a non functional gauge, makes life a bit interesting in summer

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

red19fire posted:

Eh, it's Kreiger's new van.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cat Terrist posted:

Eh, it's Kreiger's new van.

It checks out.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

I (and a few other people I have given the link to) have purchased this OBD2 adapter and use it with torque no problem.

I have this and it works well. What I'm not sure about, does the dongle drain the car battery if left plugged in while the car is off?

Also, does the TPMS data go through the OBD2? I haven't found a default setting. It would be nice to know actual tire pressure rather than have a light come on when I'm 5 lbs low.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

I have this and it works well. What I'm not sure about, does the dongle drain the car battery if left plugged in while the car is off?

Also, does the TPMS data go through the OBD2? I haven't found a default setting. It would be nice to know actual tire pressure rather than have a light come on when I'm 5 lbs low.

I've measured with a multimeter and OBD extension cord (made for purpose awhile back when I was experimenting with OBD2 mountings) and I get about ~17mA of draw, which is just slightly more than the Progressive snapshot power drain. I'd say it's good, as I've left the Snapshot dongle plugged in for two weeks before with no issues.

For reference, that's about on par to a bit less than half that some aftermarket stereos draw when the car's off to save your presets and for the clock (on those models that don't have an internal battery, which is most).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, it does. There's a popular tuning module for Jeeps that only adjusts TPMS settings, gear ratios, and tire sizes.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Click for large, yet still blurry.
For some reason abandoned cars always make me sad. There's a neighbour of mine with a Lancia Fulvia Coupe and what seems to be an old Fiat Topolino, and both have been just sitting there for years (at least two, probably more).

I dropped him a note about the Fulvia yesterday, in what was probably a very bad idea.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Serperoth posted:

I dropped him a note about the Fulvia yesterday, in what was probably a very bad idea.

Is it a series 1? Those look incredible.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Das Volk posted:

Is it a series 1? Those look incredible.

I think so? Not an expert, but a quick google seems to indicate as much. See for yourself though.
Just imagine it with a fresh coat of paint, clean

E: I can't make heads or tails of this. A photo of a Series 1 Fulvia is shown with similar tail-lights, but the front looks very much the same as a 1970 one. :psyduck:

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 18, 2013

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Since we are on a derail, has anyone messed around with extended PID's? I'd like to get knock and trans temp, but GM doesn't use the standard PID's for that.

(You need to have the paid app to use this functionality)

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Geirskogul posted:

I (and a few other people I have given the link to) have purchased this OBD2 adapter and use it with torque no problem.

Thanks, just bought that one. Can't wait to try it out.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Geirskogul posted:

I bought one of these a while ago to use with Torque running on the cheapest bluetooth tablet I could find. What I didn't take into account is that the ODBII port on an 07 Nissan Frontier is right under the steering column. Figured that I'm smart enough to get in and out without doing any damage. I was right too. That is until the next day when I was in a rush to leave and my knee knocked the dongle out and broke the port. No idea how easy/hard it is to change out an OBDII port, but I get a little sad every time I look at the sad tablet I bought just to run Torque.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you're going to do that, get an extension cable and mount the dongle with velcro deeper under the dash to avoid that issue. I've almost broken the port on my Subaru the same way.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
This isn't terrible car stuff, but since we can't chat in the other thread...

what the hell is this thing? It seems to have clean air stickers on it which might imply it's electric, but I've never seen anything like it before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Das Volk posted:

This isn't terrible car stuff, but since we can't chat in the other thread...

what the hell is this thing? It seems to have clean air stickers on it which might imply it's electric, but I've never seen anything like it before.

TH!NK City

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

I want to hate it, but the metal worker in me is saying wrong thread.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

One of the guys in my apartment building owns one, I posted pictures of it months ago. Indiana plates in Chicago, I think for tax rebates.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Everything within makes me want to stab my eyes out:
http://www.yogapantsandstance.com/ians-four-door-white-whore/

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

kimbo305 posted:

Sideskirts are a bit dated but other then that it looks alright.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

quote:

We both shared an unresistible addiction to proper cars
:what:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That site name really overpromises

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BMW shithead posted:

Every story has a beginning; every tale has a journey, or event that had to be overcome. For Ian, owning an E36 had always been his fantasy.

Owning a 20 year old 3 series that's worth maybe $4500 has always been my fantasy

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Throatwarbler posted:

Owning a 20 year old 3 series that's worth maybe $4500 has always been my fantasy
Some of my favourite cars are twenty to thirty years old and worth, well, probably less than the metal they're made from. But I haven't bought a 325i instead of a 328i and then decided I really want it to be flush/tyte/poked/whatever. Admittedly I've never understood the appeal of E36s, but I think the point is that this guy has followed his dream and his dream does indeed seem a bit stupid.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Some of my favourite cars are twenty to thirty years old and worth, well, probably less than the metal they're made from. But I haven't bought a 325i instead of a 328i and then decided I really want it to be flush/tyte/poked/whatever. Admittedly I've never understood the appeal of E36s, but I think the point is that this guy has followed his dream and his dream does indeed seem a bit stupid.

I bought one of my dream cars, too. It's a 12-year-old French family sedan which I admit is an odd choice, but I've always liked them. I can understand why some people feel the same thing for E36.

However, I can't understand why they insist on ruining them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

I bought one of my dream cars, too. It's a 12-year-old French family sedan which I admit is an odd choice, but I've always liked them.
A 406 is on my list too, but for slightly different reasons:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I have an old sports car and love it, nothing wrong with that. One day I'd like to own a Miata too. My LIFELONG FANTASY is a threesome with Diane Agron and Natalie Portman.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

I have an old sports car and love it, nothing wrong with that. One day I'd like to own a Miata too. My LIFELONG FANTASY is a threesome with Diane Agron and Natalie Portman.

Throw Mila Kunis, Anne Hathaway, Kiera Knightly, Genelle Williams, Lucy Liu, Tina Fey, Allison Scagliotti and Alison Brie in there as well, and you've got my fantasy. Jasika Nicole too, even though she's lesbian. In my dreams she's bi, ok?

Uhm... So uh, how 'bout them terrible car things?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

D C posted:

Sideskirts are a bit dated but other then that it looks alright.

Those are stock. Or at least my 328is has em. Some e36s do, some e36s don't. The wheels are gaudy and it's too low but it otherwise it's fine. The text in that article is the worst part.

"Suddle".

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Not only is the writer/photographer full of himself but appreciable skill in either domain the whole mentality is so narrow and yet pointlessly misogynist, from the post title to the domain name.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Somehow, the author manages to Not include a shot of the front of the car. At all. Wtf?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's like you guys have never seen a 320i or 323i with an "M" badge glued onto the trunk lid. This is the kind of person the brand attracts.

I would be horrified to see what a "build blog" would say about what kind of a woman my rusty heaps remind them of objectifying.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

:barf:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was a Mazda b-series wasn't it?

Those bastards.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was :(

Fortunately it looks like it could be removed from whatever fullsize truck chassis it was haphazardly slapped on top of using only an angle grinder and a few well placed hammer blows.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

kastein posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was :(

Fortunately it looks like it could be removed from whatever fullsize truck chassis it was haphazardly slapped on top of using only an angle grinder and a few well placed hammer blows.

There's a similar truck down here in Vancouver done with the very same model of truck except blue-coloured.

At least I know there's a twin up north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
The thing that kills me is the wheel wells almost would line up. They didn't even start to think about trying. I imagine the body is just held to the frame with ratchet straps and they just push it back and forth...