Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Interesting, my experiments with that filament produced a much more matte finish:

What temperature did you use for that piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

techknight posted:

What temperature did you use for that piece?

Pretty sure it was 210. Although who knows if my 210 is the same as your 210. Even then, I've taken mine up to 220-230 and didn't see anything nearly as dark or glossy as yours.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Chickenbisket posted:

I think if you just scrub the hobbed bolt with a good stiff brush and wipe it down with some acetone and a paper cloth you should be good on there. You might want to try adjusting the pressure on the filament as well. While the pressure being too low can cause the hobbed bolt to slip and grind into the plastic I've found that having it too tight can also case it to act a little funky.

Have you checked if it can extrude fine when not printing? If you have the Z stop set too low and the first layer tries to extrude too close to the bed it can cause the extruder to try to push out more plastic than possible and the bolt will slip on that too.

95C might be a little high for the heated bed. I usually print with mine set to 80C. Rafts will help with some prints, but you shouldn't need it for most prints. You should try making a mix of ABS juice. Just get some acetone, put it in a jar with a bunch of short sticks of ABS filament and stir/shake it up. Then wipe a small film of that over the heated bed before you start it up. It should make everything stick. After you get the hang of it there are a lot of other solutions and things people will put on the bed before printing but I think that one is the easiest to start with and as far as I have found it works the best.

I'm not sure how to fit glass on a Solidoodle exactly but most printers you can just clip it on with metal paper binder clips. The glass is almost always used with a heated bed to print ABS, it works really well.

Thanks, this information was super useful and I was able to get my first successful print because of it. The three key things were: Scrub the hobbed bolt with acetone, an 80 C print bed, and then do the ABS plastic soup on the print bed.

edit: And my printer stopped working. Googling it, it looks like my power supply is bad, someone has the same problems here:
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2026/solidoodle-stopped-working/
Red light on printer, power light on PSU is very faded.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 15, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

New Zealand's Customs Minister says: people 3D printing piles of weed and stacks of ecstasy tablets will defeat our border protection strategies.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/132626/3d-printers-a-border-security-threat-minister

:pseudo:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

New Zealand's Customs Minister says: people 3D printing piles of weed and stacks of ecstasy tablets will defeat our border protection strategies.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/132626/3d-printers-a-border-security-threat-minister

:pseudo:
You can do that now? Hot drat, what can't you do with one of those makers? I'm going to print myself a lady!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Anyone know some decent baseline Slic3r settings for printing a blunt? Mine keep coming out made of low resolution plastic.

The MDMA pills printed out great but I'm not getting any kind of buzz.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
You should ditch Slic3r it's way out of date. I find KISSlicer makes my blunts much smoother.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

fondue posted:

You can do that now? Hot drat, what can't you do with one of those makers? I'm going to print myself a lady!

Don't laugh, we're almost there with those bone and tissue printers.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Young Freud posted:

I'm cool with this as long as we don't have to feed the maker machine doll parts and wear women's bras on our heads.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I've personally had more luck with genetic modification than 3D printing. You just need to splice stuff until you've got something like aphids carrying the THC and cannabinoids, and then screw with the prey collection and web-spinning structures of the "brain" in something like a garden spider to get them to spin joints out of the little guys (pro-tip: find a species where you can exploit its young-feeding preparations). Haven't tried doing an all-in one setup where its venom is replaced by THC though... and that whole meth-bee thing that the guy on reddit did, doesn't instill confidence in the prospect.

Seriously though, I think that guy has the right idea, in terms of starting to figure this stuff out now... we would have laughed about the concept of kids and grandmas stealing theater-res hollywood movies back in the 28.8K modem days. He's still silly for thinking that it can be controlled like border protection though. :rolleyes:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Not really

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
As usual, the only ones who understand something less than Hollywood/The News are the people making laws about it.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug
I've recently finished my (more or less) self-made 3d printer. Been having a good time printing doohickeys. What I'm wondering though - what slicing software do you guys find preferable? So far I have been using Slic3r, but I'm getting kind of tired with how it's almost impossible to see if my parts are correctly oriented.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like Cura a lot, so try that if your machine can read the files it produces.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Astrolite posted:

I've recently finished my (more or less) self-made 3d printer. Been having a good time printing doohickeys. What I'm wondering though - what slicing software do you guys find preferable? So far I have been using Slic3r, but I'm getting kind of tired with how it's almost impossible to see if my parts are correctly oriented.

How do you mean correctly oriented? I use Slic3r, but not on its own, that would be terrible. Instead I use Repetier-Host: http://www.repetier.com/documentation/repetier-host/

It handles loading .stl-files, scaling and orienting them, slicing them with Slic3r, inspecting the resulting G-code and then printing.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Astrolite posted:

KISSlicer works well for some models and I tend to default to Cura for others. However, Cura is now being developed by the Ultimaker guys so I am not sure how well it will serve other printers.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Astrolite posted:

Any details/pics?

Just put my order in for a Rostock Max, can't wait for it to arrive! Been lurking their forums for the past few months, seems like these guys keep on updating/fixing little things bit by bit but it seems mature enough. Proceeds from selling my Oculus rift went straight to that, that thing was neat but I got so dizzy no matter how I calibrated it. I got sick alot in car rides as a kid, something wonky with my inner ear I guess.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Fatal posted:

Any details/pics?

Just put my order in for a Rostock Max, can't wait for it to arrive! Been lurking their forums for the past few months, seems like these guys keep on updating/fixing little things bit by bit but it seems mature enough. Proceeds from selling my Oculus rift went straight to that, that thing was neat but I got so dizzy no matter how I calibrated it. I got sick alot in car rides as a kid, something wonky with my inner ear I guess.

I know John over at SeeMeCNC, and a couple of friends of mine have bought and assembled Rostock Max kits. They're great printers, but it takes a hell of a lot longer than they claim to put them together, there are a lot of fairly tedious steps, and calling the instructions "mediocre" would be generous.

Have fun with it, once you get it dialed in, it should be a great printing platform for you!

SeeMeCNC also sells Chinese PLA with some interesting properties. It's cheap, pretty, extrudes at a lower temperature than anything else I've seen (I extrude it at 165C), and sticks to the platform like glue.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
That's what I've read too. I guess just this week they've started CNCing the arms post-injection so that's done now. Little things here and there (LCD controller included with adapter, Onyx included, etc), at least they're happy to constantly improve the design instead of letting it stagnate and then release V2 (which I'm sure will happen some time).

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics
Super excited. Just got my Reprappro tricolor Mendel up (only single color built thus far, other two hot ends and extrusion gears will be built soon...) and working after a ~2 week build (a few hours each night after work) and ran my first prints this afternoon. I was surprised that the only thing I got wrong out of the whole build process was the polarity of the LED on the heated bed (I couldn't find indications on the circuitboard to indicate orientation). After wiring it all up this morning, everything worked perfectly apart from the heated end which I disassembled and reassembled which fixed whatever filament feed problem I was having.

First print was the frame vertex recommended by the build guide and that came out pretty well apart from my extruder gear needing to be tightened because it wasn't feeding properly towards the end of the print. Looks like now I need to dial-in z-axis height a bit and see what else I can optimize. I've done all testing with the pronterface software, but I've seen folks talking about using other software to drive their printers and would be curious to know what everyone recommends.

Reprappro tricolor Mendel build by Senior Kabong, on Flickr

I've got a video of the first print here too:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kabong/8664190432/in/set-72157633284730332/

\m/ o.O \m/

Kabong fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 19, 2013

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I saw something called the RigidBot on Kickstarter, and it looked pretty nice:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1650950769/rigidbot-3d-printer?ref=live

For roughly the same price as a Printrbot, you could get a machine with a steel frame and an LCD control panel. If they reach $1 million, they'll even throw in a heated bed.

Any thoughts on that? I was thinking that when I finally decide to get a 3D printer, that would be an awesome choice for what I intend to do with it.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Their demo prints, the ones that are supposed to be the paragon of quality, look like poo poo. I don't know if its the machine or the tuning, but ... yeah. Go with a Mendel90 :)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I've got a prusa 2 that I've been contemplating upgrading for a while. Can't decide on Mendel90 or prusa i3. Anyone care to share some opinions on how the two compare?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Nophead is a smart guy and I like his designs, more than the Prusas. :3:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Why is a heated bed important?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

fondue posted:

Why is a heated bed important?

It keeps prints from warping. It's more of a problem with ABS prints, although I've got warping on PLA.

I was right, it was uneven cooling. The fan wouldn't go over those sections and the temperature difference caused warps. After I added a "tower" on the edges, it stopped warping on the main print area.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The new power supply for my 3D printer arrived today. I've been trying to print, and now I'm having trouble with the plastic getting stuck on the spool. I was even able to make it over 50 layers into a 63 layer print, and it still eventually got stuck. Any tips for keeping my spool in a position that it can feed the printer easily?

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics
I feel like I'm really close to getting this Mendel working decently, but no cigar quite yet. My biggest problem right now seems to be what I can only describe as z-axis binding/drift over time. I printed some calibration parts and all of my x and y measurements are spot on and my z are usually good as well. The problem I have is that over time it seems to start dragging the nozzle through the part as it prints. This is visible here where I was testing repetier-host and slic3r (left) vs pronterface (right) [the bottom/legs of the repetier-host/slic3r print looking like crap against the pronterface print is a whole other thing I'll have to monkey with...] :

Untitled by Senior Kabong, on Flickr

The pronterface print was looking great until it got to the top of the legs, then it promptly started dragging the nozzle through the body.

Here are a few things I've been able to print successfully:
Calibration parts

x-axis endstop

frame vertex (bottom was first print, extruder gear wasn't tightened, fixed it on print above)

mount for cooling fan (hoping this might help with PLA cooling?)

To try and address the z-axis binding issue, I took each smooth rod out of the x-axis one at a time, popped out the grey collars/inserts and sanded down the inside to give more clearance for the collars/inserts to slide on the smooth rods. That doesn't seem to have fixed my issue, so I'm still testing things...

I'm also going to try printing the 50mm tower tomorrow to see if I can confirm whether or not the z-axis/dragging nozzle through print mostly occurs as the print heights increase or not.

Chainclaw posted:

The new power supply for my 3D printer arrived today. I've been trying to print, and now I'm having trouble with the plastic getting stuck on the spool. I was even able to make it over 50 layers into a 63 layer print, and it still eventually got stuck. Any tips for keeping my spool in a position that it can feed the printer easily?

I'm also curious to know what everyone is using to manage their spools as well. I'm currently planning to build one of these (just waiting for the ball bearings to arrive):
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21446

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
Most the filament I buy comes without a spool so I printed up a few spools I found on Thingiverse. They came out alright but they didn't have any kind of mount that suited my needs so I just threw together a spindle for them to revolve around and a small lockring that would keep it from falling off and printed that too. Has been working great for several lbs of plastic. Haven't had any tangles or feed problems since.

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics
Good news, I'm pretty sure that I found my problem: heat.

I always notice that my prints are warm (or hot) to the touch when I take them off the bed, while prints that I would take off the makerbot replicator 2 at work would be cool to the touch immediately when printing was completed. I also remembered reading posts about how active cooling could increase the quality of small parts, so I hauled a big fan in front of my Mendel and did a test of cooling on vs. cooling off (.25 layer height, 205 degree hot end, 60 degree bed). The results are pretty obvious:

The part on the right printed perfectly at 50mm and is of a quality that I'm quite happy with!

I'm kind of surprised that active cooling isn't standard equipment, or at least that there isn't some size 40 font part of the build instructions that mention this. Next step isto install a 40mm fan (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:75078) and see how that goes.

Assuming this print quality holds up, which I'm hopeful that it will, my last thing to figure out is how to manage spools. I'm currently planning to build one of these: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21446. I'm quite open to suggestions if anyone has a more elegant solution.

edit: Finally able to print a decent quality robot, victory!

Kabong fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 26, 2013

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Something I've found as a stop gap between having active cooling, is that there's usually a setting where you can set a minimum amount of time to spend on each layer. This lets the part air cool, which I've found helps on smaller parts, although an actual fan would probably be better.

I'll probably add a fan to my printer eventually, but in the mean time I've tried just messing with software settings, so this works in the mean time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
poo poo with a 3D printer you could print a custom fan shroud that would cool exactly what you wanted with no inadvertently cooled parts (like the bed during starting). My mind is loving blown I need to build one

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Solidoodle comes with a spool holder. It seems like it wants to be horizontal, but gravity pulls it down so I'm having it stay vertical (picture also includes my amazing cardboard enclosure)

Aside from my issues, I have gotten a bunch of cool prints out (SD card included for size scale)

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I have a bunch of flashcarts for my consoles, one of which is already 3D printed (my FlashBoy Plus). I just bought a Turbo Everdrive and want to 3D print a nice case for it (which several people have done before), and also difficult because HuCard/SegaCards are really thin and tiny!

And the Turbo Everdrive:

I also saw these that someone posted on the ASSEMBLERgames forum, but you need to log in there to see pics so just in case I re uploaded them:

http://imgur.com/u0KA76E,IkBnw5v,BQLGgxl
http://imgur.com/Xae3xWx,L88RR5N

If anyone's interested in doing something like this, hit me up! I'm trying to learn 3D poo poo better, even though I don't have access to a printer of my own, so I'd like to (at least try to) design it myself in CAD. I'd be happy to just get one for my own cart, but I'd also be really interested in getting between 10 and 20 so I could resell a few and send some to other goons with Turbo Everdrives. AFAIK the only guy who makes them on ASSEMBLERgames does them at his own leisure and is based somewhere in the Europes.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
We had some clear plastic and clear rubber loaded into the Objet 500 at work the other day, so I made a new set of plugs:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
:suspense: Wanna sell me some of those?

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009

peepsalot posted:

I've got a prusa 2 that I've been contemplating upgrading for a while. Can't decide on Mendel90 or prusa i3. Anyone care to share some opinions on how the two compare?

I've been thinking about updating my prusa 2 as well, does anyone have any experience with the prusa i3?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So, solidoodle owners, would you recommend it?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

My B9 Creator ships out in the next few days! :holy: I can't waiiiiiiit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

ACID POLICE posted:

:suspense: Wanna sell me some of those?

I'm afraid we've switched back to white plastic and black rubber in the Objet 500, so no more clear ones for now. :(

If anyone's in Toronto, we're doing another Toronto 3D Printers meetup at Site 3 tonight. We may even have a chocolate-printing RepRap on display!