Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slim Pickens posted:

Unless there's a cultural change, I think Sumos are gonna stay a niche market(in the US at least). People here tend to think it terms of straight lines, so "more power brah!" and buy a literbike.

The SMC is coming back I hear, but it wasn't imported for a couple years.

Ola posted:

At least the supermoto fashion look involves a lot of safety gear.

invision posted:

I give sumo hooning a pass because there's a huge difference between acting like a dickhead wearing full gear going through some abandoned industrial park, doing whoolies between stoplights and doing 120mph standup wheelies in a helmet and cargo shorts in traffic down the interstate with a shirt that says "gently caress the police".

And sumo guys seem to know a lot more about bikes and how to ride skillfully. Somebody pointed out a year or two ago that it seems like more and more often people are buying them (or putting road tires on a dirtbike) and claiming to "hoon around," when what they really mean is they pull a wheelie every now and then and ride over curbs sometimes. I just don't want loving squids to decide that sumos are the new hot poo poo and start buying them up, putting tacky poo poo on them, and behaving exactly as before, except on a machine that might be even more dangerous in their hands than their boosa.

Here's content for page sniping.
Pipeburn's latest installment. I like the idea of what they were doing, but not how it turned out.

A useless sprocket in place of a brake rotor "because we like fixies?" And open exhaust.

So, with open exhaust and pod filters, it sounds like poo poo and doesn't have any go. If you ride it where the tires say you should, it flings poo poo all over your battery, filters, and engine.
Why do people keep ruining CB750s?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Squids buying them up would be awesome so I can pick one up later on the cheap with easily available parts.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

And sumo guys seem to know a lot more about bikes and how to ride skillfully. Somebody pointed out a year or two ago that it seems like more and more often people are buying them (or putting road tires on a dirtbike) and claiming to "hoon around," when what they really mean is they pull a wheelie every now and then and ride over curbs sometimes. I just don't want loving squids to decide that sumos are the new hot poo poo and start buying them up, putting tacky poo poo on them, and behaving exactly as before, except on a machine that might be even more dangerous in their hands than their boosa.

Here's content for page sniping.
Pipeburn's latest installment. I like the idea of what they were doing, but not how it turned out.

A useless sprocket in place of a brake rotor "because we like fixies?" And open exhaust.

So, with open exhaust and pod filters, it sounds like poo poo and doesn't have any go. If you ride it where the tires say you should, it flings poo poo all over your battery, filters, and engine.

DOHC CB750s are not exactly known for the their performance. On top of that you can very easily jet around the pod filters and open exhaust, though I have heard those carbs are horrible. As to why it has a extra sprocket where the drum/disc should be that is kind of strange. I would seriously doubt anyone actually rides this bike, it also may not be completely finished.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Valt posted:

I would seriously doubt anyone actually rides this bike,

This part. I figure only a quarter of the bikes on pipeburn get ridden. My beef is why build something like that just to look purpose-built? Go ahead and build it for a purpose, make it unique, and do useful things to it, and ride it. Don't make it LOOK like it's supposed to do something.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 18, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

My beef is why build something like that just to look purpose-built?

Bikes like that are purpose-built for trailering to shows and getting featured on Pipeburn.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

_Dav posted:

DO IT!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Imagine your SV with around twice the power, arguably better looks and similar suspension functionality. If that turns you on, then do it.

I'd do it for the paint job alone

n8r posted:

Those ZRXs are fun bikes.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

looks like she's been down.
I still say do it.

I'm having a look at it on sunday. Wonder how hard it is to make one turn halfway decently? I've seen a couple running around with ohlins shocks...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

Bikes like that are purpose-built for trailering to shows and getting featured on Pipeburn.

:colbert: All motorcycles everywhere should only be modified in ways that I deem worthwhile.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The ZRX is heavy but can definitely be made to handle with the appropriate upgrades and some modern tires.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

:colbert: All motorcycles everywhere should only be modified in ways that I deem worthwhile.

That would look bad rear end with a proper fender. Why didn't they do a fender? It would even be functional!

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
From the GIFs thread:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Imagine your SV with around twice the power, arguably better looks and similar suspension functionality.
Looks, period.

I was in a big motorbike centre once, there's only a few dealers in the city so they had every make and kind there, and it was a joy to check out and admire each and every one, even the fuggos had a certain charm to them. Then I got into a row of SV650s and I honest-to-gently caress felt depressed. They look like the bike someone knocked up for some Activision movie tie-in.

The world is a greyer place for the SV650 existing.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 18, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't dislike this in general but that second sprocket is dumb as poo poo. Would there ever be an actual reason to flip the wheel around and use the other side for a while? Would that be good for the tire? Could you even adjust the chain to have the proper slack?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah, I don't get it either.

They should do something like:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It took me a while to figure out what I was looking at. At first I was like "huh, that's pretty smart" and then I thought about it for a little and now I'm kind of :stonk:

Hopefully they have a front brake too.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
They hosed up and de-tabbed the linkage for the rear brake and tried to cover it up with some asinine reason.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah, I don't get it either.

They should do something like:

The sprotor: for people who never clean they chains

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Hietala posted:

From the GIFs thread:

I laughed pretty hard.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A Gay Nudist Dad, in the wild

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

I don't dislike this in general but that second sprocket is dumb as poo poo. Would there ever be an actual reason to flip the wheel around and use the other side for a while? Would that be good for the tire? Could you even adjust the chain to have the proper slack?

The description on pipeburn said "For example, a double mounted sprocket based on our love for riding fixie bikes."

That sprotor seems like a good way for something to go terribly wrong. Not to mention never being able to adjust your chain tension.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 19, 2013

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

A Gay Nudist Dad, in the wild

Such a squid, he's not even wearing knee armor. And those boots offer no real protection!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I saw this thing earlier today.

I was walking up to it like, boy that's a large motorcycle. Boy that's a large radiator. Boy that's a large... V8 engine? What the hell?

I wonder what it looks like when it turns.

Also a bonus coolguy picture of my friend's Shadow and my Nightster. And his wife's Hyundai Elantra.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Strife posted:

I saw this thing earlier today.

I was walking up to it like, boy that's a large motorcycle. Boy that's a large radiator. Boy that's a large... V8 engine? What the hell?

I wonder what it looks like when it turns.

Is this one of those "boss hawg" contraptions or some other even more unique abortion?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

ohwandernearer posted:

Is this one of those "boss hawg" contraptions or some other even more unique abortion?

My buddy said it's a "Boss Hoss". I didn't even know that was a thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes, I believe that's a Boss Hoss. IIRC it has either a 350 or 500 cubic inch Chevy V8 and a two-speed automatic. It gets like 10 miles per gallon and weighs over a thousand pounds.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, I believe that's a Boss Hoss. IIRC it has either a 350 or 500 cubic inch Chevy V8 and a two-speed automatic. It gets like 10 miles per gallon and weighs over a thousand pounds.

God Bless America

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
They also never show up at a drag strip because they're essentially a V8 strapped to a wind sail and they suck balls in actual performance. In fact that wasn't immediately recognizable because it was actually on the street and not in a show window.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Halo_4am posted:

They also never show up at a drag strip because they're essentially a V8 strapped to a wind sail and they suck balls in actual performance.

Plenty of videos on YouTube of a Boss Hoss at a strip. Usually ending with the bike either being demolished by its partner on the strip, or demolished because it got speed wobbles.

I can't even find an actual scan of a time slip from a drag strip for one, where as the net is full of them for almost everything else out there. Lots of theorycraft about times, but the videos say it all that needs to be said about the design.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

You forgot the part where it goes like stink.
My uncle has a red one. It's got the chevy 350 in it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
When they're cammed, they're absolutely hilarious to see idling. You guys thought Harleys shake?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 19, 2013

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Managed to narrow 233 shots from April's Backfire event down to 56, so I made an album instead of posting every single image. Enjoy!

http://imgur.com/a/tIr07

Here's some of my favorites.

Edit: #44's a picture of Gay Nudist Dad's scooter as well. I thought I saw you ride by, but didn't see the rear end in a top hat sticker so I wasn't %100 on that.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 19, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

However they also did this, which is pretty AI. http://www.hossflyinc.com/photos.html

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

BikeEXIF has an old-honda-UJM to scrambler conversion done right today:

It's not all to my taste but the fit and finish is great. Loving those (truck bed liner?) coated hard parts and the solar powered sound/charging system.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crosspostin' from the big rig trucks thread over in AI:

prefectno posted:

Norwegian motorcyclists made this a couple of years ago to raise awareness. I like it.

http://professional.player.qbrick.com/player.aspx?mid=3019B63F

('fullskjerm' = 'full screen')

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slim Pickens posted:

Managed to narrow 233 shots from April's Backfire event down to 56, so I made an album instead of posting every single image. Enjoy!

"one of these things is not like the other one."

Some nice shots in there, thanks for sharing.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

RC51s seriously couldn't be any more awesome if they tried.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

clutchpuck posted:

When they're cammed, they're absolutely hilarious to see idling. You guys thought Harleys shake?

This photo is hilarious because the idea that you'd need to stand on the pegs to start an RD is silly. You can start a warm one with your hand and even cold there is very little compression.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dubstep aside, this is a pretty funny ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p1ZJ_WBRkU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

This photo is hilarious because the idea that you'd need to stand on the pegs to start an RD is silly. You can start a warm one with your hand and even cold there is very little compression.

I was gonna say the same thing. People kicking bikes like they're trying to start one of those two-story-tall cargo ship engines is hilarious in general.

Just put one foot on the ground, and one on the kickstarter and kick. No motorcycle is that difficult to kick over

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

...if you know how to do it.

We fairly regularly make $100+ in a few minutes betting people that they can't start my mates Thunderbird. If you don't know how to do it exactly the thing is impossible to start.

It's fairly amusing watching people trying to kick it over, then one of us jumps on to show them, fuel on, pump them until you feel some, clutch in, run the kickstarter down 2 and a half times and it starts up straight away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Four stroke bikes definitely take a bit more touch - especially when you are talking about larger displacements. You also have the problem of people pumping on the throttle when they start it.