Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The two parts in Sinister where NWO-era Sting pokes his head into frame while violins freak out are bad jump scares, though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Demon Bag'hoole wishes he were as cool as The Crow Sting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I remember there being a particularly good one in The Descent, when the cave creatures show up for the first time.

That one's good, but the best one in that movie is the fakeout window dream sequence near the beginning. That one's definitely one of my favorites ever.

Repulsion and Cat People also have a excellent jump scares

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If they had been a bit more imaginative with the demon design in that movie, it would have made it to my favorites list.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Dick Hallorann's death in The Shining is a great jump scare because the movie devotes SO MUCH loving TIME to his character just traveling to the Overlook. The expectation is that he is going to get there and be the victor.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

foodfight posted:

Dick Hallorann's death in The Shining is a great jump scare because the movie devotes SO MUCH loving TIME to his character just traveling to the Overlook. The expectation is that he is going to get there and be the victor.

You at least expect him to do something, anything to be helpful before potentially getting killed. At the very least I expected him to find Danny and attempt to help before heroically buying it.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I remember there being a particularly good one in The Descent, when the cave creatures show up for the first time.

And with one inappropriate soundtrack some goon has ruined all the suspense in that movie for me forever.

Linked for spoilers

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

:lol: this cracked me up, I haven't even seen Sinister! I saw the Half in the Bag review and it kinda made me go ehhh.

Also I am so glad there are other people who are big fans of Exorcist III, I love that movie. It has a great atmosphere of dread throughout and the switches between the gemini killer and father Karras changing the actors is so weird and confusing (especially when seeing it for the first time late late at night and pretty buzzed).

The ending loving owns too with the bad rear end Father Morning guy. Even though apparently it was forced on Blatty by the studio and the original ending is more consistent with the rest of the movie. Sadly the footage got "lost" according to wikipedia.

One question that occurred to me just now is how does Lt. Kinderman explain what the hell happened when people show up and he's shot a straightjacketed man several times and once execution style??

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WHO IS THAT DEMON UP IN THE RAFTERS?

IT'S...IT'S BAGHUL AND HE'S RUNNING OFF THE NEW WORLD ORDER

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He also kinda looks like the Jeepers Creepers monster, too.

Spring Mint
Apr 12, 2013

MrGreenShirt posted:

And with one inappropriate soundtrack some goon has ruined all the suspense in that movie for me forever.

Linked for spoilers

This is absolutely incredible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Parachute posted:

Too many children and jump scares in my horror movie. RUINED.

Jump scare means I repost this forever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

schwenz posted:

Developing a checklist of Do's and Don'ts to the genre in an attempt to differentiate what is good or bad horror is just a misguided attempt to establish yourself as some sort of connoisseur in a genre that really doesn't need any.

Jump Scares have been around since the beginning, and are used to elicit a response from the audience. They in no way cheapen a film. It's possible to not use the technique effectively, but using jump-scares does not immediately establish the film as sub-par.

Sorry, I was posting on my phone in the cinema and was briefer than I'd like.

Jump scares themselves are not inherently an abomination - one that stands out is the scene in John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness where Brian "wakes up" from his dream to find the possessed Kelly in bed with him. However, that scene is as effective as it is because it is bookended by two legitimately creepy scenes. First, Brian has the future dream that people have when they sleep in the church, except seeing Catherine in the door instead of the mysterious figure. Then, the jump scare, which in turn enhances the following scene where Brian slowly reaches out to touch the mirror. Even in this context, though, the jump scare is not necessary; it's just a bridge between the other two scenes, and the events of the first scene are sufficient by themselves to motivate the actions of the second.

What really bothers me is the sheer number of movies that rely completely on jump scares, which these days is about 95% of all horror movies that don't rely completely on gore instead. It just isn't necessary to have these things. Robert Wise's The Haunting is a brilliant horror movie in which nothing is ever seen. Even in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, the biggest scares in the movie involve no jumps, no gore and practically no violence.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always found the jump at the end of Prince of Darkness to be a ridiculous pile on, even if it does look great.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

schwenz posted:

If they had been a bit more imaginative with the demon design in (Sinister), it would have made it to my favorites list.

According to the movie's Wikipedia entry, the filmmakers originally wanted something more like a creepy, effeminate Pied Piper/Willy Wonka character, but they were concerned about the character's franchisability, so they made it something safer and more conventionally scary. Which is why the word "franchise" is, to be, drat near profanity.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
For all this talk about jump scares I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Signs one. I mean, Signs has a bunch, but you all know exactly which one I'm talking about. Honestly I might be alone in this but that's my favorite jump scare of all time. You know it's coming for like 5 minutes, you are just waiting and waiting and waiting for it to just happen already but when it does it's literally just the Alien calmly walking away and you still jump because of how ordinary it is. It doesn't jump at you, it doesn't do a "Boo" motion, it just stands up and walks away.

That movie is flawed but I love it.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 18, 2013

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
The best jump scares I can think of are both from Inland Empire. Inland Empire is probably one of my favorite films, but rewatches have proven harrowing almost solely because of "that" scene. Not that the rest of the film isn't creepy and unsettling, but the films nervous and anxious energy seems to build towards that moment. It's like the release of all the darkness bubbling under the surface of the film. There's also that moment at the 2 hour mark, which seems to be there to remind you that, yep, it's gonna get worse. Kept me on the toes for the rest of the film.

Come to think of it, there's a very similar jump scare in Eraserhead which managed to startle the hell out of me. I had completely forgotten about it the last time I watched it too and it is so different from the rest of the film's more subdued horror. Still well earned.

Can't seem to find any of those on youtube though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Febreeze posted:

For all this talk about jump scares I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Signs one. I mean, Signs has a bunch, but you all know exactly which one I'm talking about. Honestly I might be alone in this but that's my favorite jump scare of all time. You know it's coming for like 5 minutes, you are just waiting and waiting and waiting for it to just happen already but when it does it's literally just the Alien calmly walking away and you still jump because of how ordinary it is. It doesn't jump at you, it doesn't do a "Boo" motion, it just stands up and walks away.

That movie is flawed but I love it.

Yeah that one is fantastic and Joaquin Phoenix's reaction really sells it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Not sure if it's technically a jump scare, but the part in The Innkeepers where the ghost appears under the sheet sent chills up and down my spine like I haven't experienced since I was a kid.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
The Thing has, to me, the two best jump scares I've ever experienced. The first one is this:

Defibrillator Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjIXwkX1e48

And the seconds in this one:

Blood Test Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqVbOSEsJNo

Some of the few "jump scares" that didn't immediately piss me off afterwards. I'm not a fan of jump scares. Also, the birthday party from Signs was pretty great, too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Yeah that one is fantastic and Joaquin Phoenix's reaction really sells it.

Joaquin Phoenix carries that movie in my opinion. I think its his best work honestly.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Apes-Ma posted:

The best jump scares I can think of are both from Inland Empire. Inland Empire is probably one of my favorite films, but rewatches have proven harrowing almost solely because of "that" scene. Not that the rest of the film isn't creepy and unsettling, but the films nervous and anxious energy seems to build towards that moment. It's like the release of all the darkness bubbling under the surface of the film. There's also that moment at the 2 hour mark, which seems to be there to remind you that, yep, it's gonna get worse. Kept me on the toes for the rest of the film.

Come to think of it, there's a very similar jump scare in Eraserhead which managed to startle the hell out of me. I had completely forgotten about it the last time I watched it too and it is so different from the rest of the film's more subdued horror. Still well earned.

Can't seem to find any of those on youtube though.

The one where Laura Dern runs/falls straight at the camera out of nowhere with that creepy loving smile on her face seriously freaked me out more than 99% of the actual horror films I've seen. IE is a loving terrifying movie.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 18, 2013

Spring Mint
Apr 12, 2013
Someone already posted a clip but I adore the big hospital hallway scare in the Exorcist III.

My sister and I used to love doing a "bad scary movie night" every week when we were kids and we picked it out because hey, prominent horror title + "III". It has to be horrible, right? We were laughing like idiots throughout most of the beginning, especially during George C. Scott's bizarre conversation about the fish in the bathtub(?) but the jump scare completely rattled us both, both for the lead-up and the scare itself. It was great.

Wow, I haven't seen that movie in eight+ years... I wonder if it's as goofy as we thought or if we just didn't *get* it because we were dumb kids.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Spring Mint posted:

Someone already posted a clip but I adore the big hospital hallway scare in the Exorcist III.

Yep, that's one of the best horror moments ever committed to film.

Moving along: anyone gotten to see an early screening of The Lords of Salem yet? I've read a couple of non-spoilered reviews that seem to hold the movie in high regard while explaining that it's very removed from Zombie's previous works.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What are some good, essential Asian horror films? I haven't kept up with that side of the world since the original Ringu, so I pretty much haven't seen anything else other than a few scattered odds and ends like Uzumaki.

But I haven't really seen any of the more notable ones like Ju-On or The Eye. What's worth watching and what isn't? if it helps, I really like hauntings/ghost stories.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spring Mint posted:

My sister and I used to love doing a "bad scary movie night" every week when we were kids and we picked it out because hey, prominent horror title + "III". It has to be horrible, right? We were laughing like idiots throughout most of the beginning, especially during George C. Scott's bizarre conversation about the fish in the bathtub(?) but the jump scare completely rattled us both, both for the lead-up and the scare itself. It was great.

Wow, I haven't seen that movie in eight+ years... I wonder if it's as goofy as we thought or if we just didn't *get* it because we were dumb kids.

There's a few weird George C. Scott moments where its not clear he understood what movie he was currently acting in. But overall I think his presence is worth it because the insane energy level he brings really sells everything that happens later. Him gradually losing it over the course of the movie is very believable. He looks like a guy on the verge of a stroke thoughout most of it, and that works pretty well with the story.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Basebf555 posted:

There's a few weird George C. Scott moments where its not clear he understood what movie he was currently acting in. But overall I think his presence is worth it because the insane energy level he brings really sells everything that happens later. Him gradually losing it over the course of the movie is very believable. He looks like a guy on the verge of a stroke thoughout most of it, and that works pretty well with the story.

Weird George C. Scott moments are half the reason I adore Exorcist III.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hakkesshu posted:

What are some good, essential Asian horror films? I haven't kept up with that side of the world since the original Ringu, so I pretty much haven't seen anything else other than a few scattered odds and ends like Uzumaki.

But I haven't really seen any of the more notable ones like Ju-On or The Eye. What's worth watching and what isn't? if it helps, I really like hauntings/ghost stories.

My personal recommendations would be Hausu (you might as well, since you'll hear it come up over and over), Sweet Home (similar thing), Unholy Women, Kairo (a.k.a., Pulse, but do not get the American remake), and Noroi (also titled sometimes as The Curse).

Iffy recommendations: Loft (or Rofuto) and Ghost Train.

And some older stuff (if you're okay with that) would be Onibaba, Kuroneko, and Kwaidan (might be spelled without the 'w').

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I would add Cure, Suicide Club, Audition (I guess I'm spoiling that it is horror), The Host, and I Saw The Devil.

My favorite of that bunch is Cure, which I find to be a much stronger film than Pulse. Pulse owns but it was a bit too disjointed for my liking. I most recently watched Suicide Club and that movie is bonkers and actually keeps you wondering whether or not it is a horror movie or just an extremely disturbing drama for a good chunk of its runtime.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

That's the thing, most jump scares are just tricks of loud noises rather than anything actually scary. The original Alien gets two scares with a cat.

But then there's the wonderful one at the end, where what you think is some sort of pipe or tube in the console of the ship is really the alien's head.

Out-of-nowhere jump scares do nothing for me, neither do the false scares where there's just musical/camera buildup and then it's something mundane like a cat. But I love, love, LOVE "thing already in the scene but you didn't notice it" jump scares like that one in Alien. The only other one I can think of is the Sloth murder in Seven.

Any others like that come to mind for anyone?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 19, 2013

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

You should watch both of those right away. Also, anything Korean - Tale of Two Sisters is great, and I'm sure someone here can come up with a dozen more. Koreans seem to like ghost stories a lot more than Americans. I also liked the original One Missed Call a lot - it's sort of a mainstream horror/ghost story by Miike, which you don't see that much from him. Maybe the original Dark Water, too. I definitely prefer it to the remake. It isn't super scary, but it conveys a really unsettling atmosphere very well.

Nathander
Apr 23, 2008

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Moving along: anyone gotten to see an early screening of The Lords of Salem yet? I've read a couple of non-spoilered reviews that seem to hold the movie in high regard while explaining that it's very removed from Zombie's previous works.

I got back about a hour ago from seeing it. I'll be honest in that I haven't managed to see any of Zombie's other films yet, but I really, really liked Lords of Salem. It's not a perfect movie in any regard - parts of it, especially the beginning and end, seem unfocused. In the case of the end, however, it's because of how surreal it gets and I somewhat let that pass due to it being the movie's intent. I'm still not certain what the message of the film was aside from being general anti-religion, although I feel there has to be something more to it than that which doesn't help it either.

On the other hand, it was one of the single creepiest recent horror movies I've seen, and the fact that it's a witch story helps it a lot with how few movies about witches I can think have been released in recent years. While I thought the beginning was kind of a slog and the ending a little bit too bizarre, the majority of it I liked and felt was a great kind of love letter to the horror films of the 70s/80s in tone. I can understand why it's only getting a limited engagement/release because there's no way it would appeal to a mainstream crowd at all, but I don't regret having gone to see it.

On the subject of Asian horror movies, one of my favorite was actually one of the movies in the horror anthology 3...Extremes. I thought the movie was kind of a mixed bag, but the middle movie, Cut by Park Chan-wook, I thought to be excellent and felt was a brilliant look at the dynamic and conceivably antagonistic struggle between movie director, critic, and audience.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I watched Hellraiser 3, and it was just really generic. I felt like pieces of it were well done (Pinhead's seductive little speeches, for instance), but most of it was by-the-books and perfunctory. I will 100% concede that the first two were loads better. I still didn't really enjoy them very much, but I see why others do. They're original and they're earnest, even if they're poorly acted and a bit flimsy with some truly awful direction.

The new Cenobites had nothing on the originals.

Yes, it's my intention to watch all of them. No, I don't know why.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Geekboy posted:

I watched Hellraiser 3, and it was just really generic. I felt like pieces of it were well done (Pinhead's seductive little speeches, for instance), but most of it was by-the-books and perfunctory. I will 100% concede that the first two were loads better. I still didn't really enjoy them very much, but I see why others do. They're original and they're earnest, even if they're poorly acted and a bit flimsy with some truly awful direction.

The new Cenobites had nothing on the originals.

Yes, it's my intention to watch all of them. No, I don't know why.

Looking forward to your reactions to part four: Pinhead in Space.:laugh:

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Nathander posted:

I got back about a hour ago from seeing it. I'll be honest in that I haven't managed to see any of Zombie's other films yet, but I really, really liked Lords of Salem. It's not a perfect movie in any regard - parts of it, especially the beginning and end, seem unfocused. In the case of the end, however, it's because of how surreal it gets and I somewhat let that pass due to it being the movie's intent. I'm still not certain what the message of the film was aside from being general anti-religion, although I feel there has to be something more to it than that which doesn't help it either.

On the other hand, it was one of the single creepiest recent horror movies I've seen, and the fact that it's a witch story helps it a lot with how few movies about witches I can think have been released in recent years. While I thought the beginning was kind of a slog and the ending a little bit too bizarre, the majority of it I liked and felt was a great kind of love letter to the horror films of the 70s/80s in tone. I can understand why it's only getting a limited engagement/release because there's no way it would appeal to a mainstream crowd at all, but I don't regret having gone to see it.

The Conjuring has a ghost-witch, so horror got yo' back with witches this year.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Looking forward to your reactions to part four: Pinhead in Space.:laugh:

It's entirely possible that I'm crazy but I actually really appreciated 4, I'll be eager to hear your take as well.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
What are your favorite movies that you physically own? I want to expand my DVD collection of horror but I don't even know where to start! I really like foreign horror, supernatural/haunted house/monster...not crazy about lots of torture and gore though. I just thought this would be the best place for suggestion v:shobon:v

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Toriori posted:

What are your favorite movies that you physically own? I want to expand my DVD collection of horror but I don't even know where to start! I really like foreign horror, supernatural/haunted house/monster...not crazy about lots of torture and gore though. I just thought this would be the best place for suggestion v:shobon:v

I only own a few, but these are ones that I often pop in and watch over and over again and they never seem to get boring for me.
A lot of these are FUN horror movies, which is why I can pop them in anytime.

REC
REC [2]
The Cabin in the Woods (this actually gets better the more you watch it)
The Thing (82)
Paranormal Activity (1-2)and (3) but I lose most people there.
The Haunting
Cloverfield
House on Haunted Hill (99)
Slither
Ginger Snaps

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My favorite horror that I own on Blu-Ray or DVD:

Dead Alive
Eraserhead
Alien
The Shining
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Nosferatu
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Zombie
The Thing
Misery
Vampyr
From Beyond
Reanimator
Psycho
Repulsion
House (1977)
Antichrist
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
Jacob's Ladder
Videodrome
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Diabolique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Buying this was one of the best values I think I ever got: a 4-pack including The Thing, Prince of Darkness, They Live, Village of the Damned. VotD is obviously the weak entry, but still strong enough to watch once or twice.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Carpenter-Collection-Darkness-Village/dp/B0024FADBA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1366396931&sr=8-11&keywords=the+thing

Other entries I'm glad I own are the 2 4-packs of the Nightmare films; so that's 1 through 7 plus Freddy vs. Jason. I also have Friday the 13th 1, 2 and 3, which are my favorites of the series. I used to own 4,5,6 and 7, but didn't care for them so much, so I got rid of them at some point. Everyone has a different opinion on which of them is the best though.

There are others of course, but people have mentioned them.