Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Be warned this happened in the 3 or 400s. There was just some old guy caught out after the curfew they imposed and he was supposedly "acting suspiciously". So they sent in bomb disposal robots to strip search him, probably as gently caress you for not staying inside. At last count there were 4 robots on him.
And thusly my username was born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

C-Euro posted:

All the partying in the streets reminds me of when Osama was taken out. But this is a little more surreal considering what happened in that very town earlier today.

Also the true cover-up here was making a 700 page thread vanish without a trace :ninja:

It's in Comedy Purgatory until the mods decide what to do with it.

I agree that it's similar to the Osama partying, but in much better taste because they're celebrating an arrest and not a death.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

BonoMan posted:

This just turned up on my fb feed:

"Just so it's known, Reddit reported this whole story. The networks were just bystanders."

:rolleyes:

Reddit Delenda Est

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

toby posted:

This is stupid. It's great to feel relieved that the immediate danger is over, but people got blown up and more people got shot and an entire city was locked down for a full day. I think a little more respect or somberness or something might be in order, myself, and less wooting and flag-waving.

No loving way.

I don't live in Boston, I'm about 20 miles south. The atmosphere here was pure terror, nevermind for people who were actually trapped in their homes all day wondering if the guy was going to sneak into their back yard. They deserve to celebrate because at least for tonight they no longer have to be scared shitless.

That being said, video of a police officer getting cheered and the anthem being sung in Boston:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100574005400514

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

I think he might have been calling out the New York Post and other news media that seized on Reddit posts and spread them as "news", rather than necessarily referring to Reddit itself.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

BonoMan posted:

"Just so it's known, Reddit reported this whole story. The networks were just bystanders."

We found Sunil! Social Media Revolution 2.0

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

beejay posted:

How is it "hosed up"? You know you are supposed to be aware of your own rights? Being Mirandized is supposed to be a reminder. It's not like nobody knows these rights until the police tell them.

It's the law, dude. It's not always supposed to be a reminder. There's a reason why it's told to everyone that is about to be questioned. The whole reason why Miranda is issued is BECAUSE people don't always know.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Yep, all 280000 people listening to the police scanner when he was caught were Redditors. Seems legit. Surely we couldn't have all been getting that information from some other common source...

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Everyone knows that he is the real mastermind behind this.

Sunil or later the truth will come out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That poor MSNBC lady totally drowned out

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
don't know if this was posted but its video of first brother dead

http://youtu.be/Bf2vaRBIrdw?t=1m13s

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Horky posted:

Never been to an Irish funeral?

Do they chant USA at Irish funerals?

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/04/it-wasnt-sunil-tripathi-the-anatomy-of-a-misinformation-disaster/275155/

quote:

The next step in this information flow is the trickiest one. Here’s what I know. At 2:42am, Greg Hughes, who had been following the Tripathi speculation, tweeted, “This is the Internet’s test of ‘be right, not first’ with the reporting of this story. So far, people are doing a great job. #Watertown” Then, at 2:43am, he tweeted, “BPD has identified the names: Suspect 1: Mike Mulugeta. Suspect 2: Sunil Tripathi.”
The only problem is that there is no mention of Sunil Tripathi in the audio preceding Hughes’ tweet. I’ve listened to it a dozen times and there’s nothing there even remotely resembling Tripathi’s name. I’ve embedded the audio from 2:35 to 2:45 am for your own inspection. Multiple groups of people have been crowdsourcing logs of the police scanner chatter and none of them have found a reference to Tripathi, either. It’s just not there.

Jesus loving christ. The internet playing detective is insane. The ethics of an angry mob are nonexistent.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

TubeStank posted:

I am aware of this, yes, but if they are holding him under an exemption then it's pretty clear that they intend to question him.

Why would they be holding him under this mythical exemption? What a stupid loving proposition.

A Miranda warning is required when there is custody + interrogation. If law enforcement doesn't intend to interrogate, Miranda doesn't apply. For example, if a suspect is in custody and receiving medical treatment, rather than being questioned, there is no reason to read him his Miranda rights.

If they do intend to interrogate, they will read him his Miranda rights. They can do it now, or later, or a month from now. As long as it is done prior to questioning.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

All internet lawyers just read the wikipedia page for 5th and 6th amendment. I don't see why they would even need to get a confession from him, they have him on video dropping a nail bomb next to a small child.
Strawman Strawman! Objection!

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Aww, SWAT guy sleeping in the back of the truck as it drives by :3:

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Hmm seems like the boat was named "Sunil"?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Soooo.. MSNBC cut live to some reporter. Little over a minute of her talking. Not one word heard over the cheering/sirens/background noise when the control room finally gave up and went back to the studio.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Orcrez posted:

lol you're retarded.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
An absolutely massive crowd of hundreds just marched down my street cheering and chanting "BPD." Amazing out pouring of support. I wish I knew how to translate google+ video to something I can post here.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

BonoMan posted:

I didn't know the boat owner guy was a Redditor

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vomik posted:

Do they chant USA at Irish funerals?

Hell yeah we do.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

I bet he's been up this entire time like poor Petey. OBAMA, GO TO BED.

Man, he's probably been up longer than Petey. Last time he looked this tired I think was the day after Benghazi

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
If you want to find the Robot Sex Party subplot, it starts in earnest at page 467 of the old thread.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

TubeStank posted:

Well, yeah, no poo poo, but that he's being held under the public safety exemption per the Attorney General is still hosed up.

Yea, its not like he most likely set off some bombs or something

Xenopax
Sep 27, 2002

Get pregnant using Xenopax® brand bottled semen. Trust no substitutes.
Thank you Obama for pointing out that we have investigations and courts, and we shouldn't jump to conclusions. This guy might be a piece of poo poo that blew up a bomb in a crowd, but he's a piece of poo poo who deserves a trial based on facts and evidence and not the court of public opinion. What we think we know about this based on cable news doesn't matter compared to what the police, lawyers, judges, and juries know. Several senators said we shouldn't have this guy go through civilian court and that's bullshit. We deserve to see this guy get his day so his guilt can be proven and judged, we don't deserve for him to be whisked away to some magic military base so we never hear about him again.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Orcrez posted:

I didn't see the dude die in that footage but I did see Sunil

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hell yeah we do.

It's so :3: because you're not actually Irish.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

uh oh pancho! posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/04/it-wasnt-sunil-tripathi-the-anatomy-of-a-misinformation-disaster/275155/

Jesus loving christ. The internet playing detective is insane. The ethics of an angry mob are nonexistent.

I just wonder if they have all of the communications from last night, because there were several of us in the other thread that heard it.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Cry Havoc posted:

He didn't mention North Korea.

Kim Jong-un will be mad!

KJU probably threatened america as much as he did before the bombings its just that the media didn't bother hyping it up, because they had something new and scary and perfect for 24/7 rolling news to cover (not that it wasn't important and newsworthy). I wonder how long its going to take to segue back into north korean nuclear holocaust mode.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Oh Brian Williams. "We have to take a 5 second break to segue into Rock Center." :crossarms: And we're back

Tygor
Feb 20, 2008

UNTUCKEM. GO BREW CREW WOOOOO
Any word yet on what happened with the other suspects picked up? Or was that just the media yanking our cranks again?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Danica! posted:

Soooo.. MSNBC cut live to some reporter. Little over a minute of her talking. Not one word heard over the cheering/sirens/background noise when the control room finally gave up and went back to the studio.

Hopefully they'll start talking about the Secret Weapon that is thermal imaging.

BillNyeTheNaziSpy
May 28, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hahah suck reddit bitch idiots. Looks like we, the something awful GBS posters, are still some of the best police scanner reporters around!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Why is everyone harping on the miranda poo poo? If he is critical can he even be considered in a condition to be mirandized?

Eat_at_Milliways
May 3, 2006
bald_kid

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hell yeah we do.

Irish funerals are best when they're Irish/Italian

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Orcrez posted:

He died pretty neatly there, what with his arms outstretched and his legs crossed.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Espy posted:

Welcome to nationalism! :patriot:

I sincerely wish they'd follow up on the "no Miranda rights" ordeal. I love it when we make laws to grant rights but make fun loopholes to take them away when we feel like it.

It doesn't matter, they only have to read him his rights before an interrogation, they don't need to do it at arrest. Regardless even if they did read him his rights at arrest it's highly doubtful given that he was likely half conscious due to blood loss that he would have given a confirmation that he understands his rights, so it would have been pointless to do so anyway.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Tygor posted:

Any word yet on what happened with the other suspects picked up? Or was that just the media yanking our cranks again?
Probably just acquaintances / relatives of the brothers. They weren't arrested, they were taken into custody as part of the investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

It's so :3: because you're not actually Irish.

Well I am and I can vouch for it. :colbert:

• Locked thread