Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
How can someone with an English degree spell so poorly? That's like those mechanics whose cars are always loving breaking down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Did you hear back from the restaurant job about hours this week?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

natetimm posted:

How can someone with an English degree spell so poorly? That's like those mechanics whose cars are always loving breaking down.

When you turn in a paper for school you run it through a spell checker first. Maybe even proof read it. With forums it's all posting all the time. :protarget:

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
OP, now this is just a thought...might be a stupid one too but hey I'll toss it out there. You could call and say something like, "I know you said Monday, but my mom asked me if I'd be available to drive granny to the doctor on tuesday, should I tell her I'm working?" or something like that. Then he will either tell you not to bother coming in anymore or what time tuesday can you work the night shift. Like I said, just a thought.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Xenocides posted:

Did you hear back from the restaurant job about hours this week?
I was let go. The owner was straight with me: I was let go because I'm not an experienced cook. I left on good terms. My boss did tell me to check back in a week to see if they need a cashier. So I'm moving on. There's two big jobs that I'm expecting a telephone call from a company called Harvard Risk Management Corporation. I applied to the position of Business recruiter: 10 to 15 hours a week and all over the phone and internet. They've got an A rating from the BBB, but can somebody vouch for them?

On top of that, there's a secretary position open in my city of which I'm applying. I haven't gotten my letter of recommendation from the political internship yet but I'm calling my campaign director about the drat thing.

My head's spinning. I showed up dressed professionally for a job fair on campus and I just found out it's next week. On top of that, I need to see a dentist. Fun times.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
For the secretary position, do you know how to use Excel? And it may not just be working the phones or doing data entry. My boss also has me run errands here and there (pick up office supplies, maybe a coffee run or whatnot), so are you good to do that, too? How many hours a week is the secretary position?

If you get the first job and it's only 10-15hrs per week, get a second job. And their BBB rating doesn't mean crap. Why did you even look that up? Did you look up the grill's rating?

The focus at this point should be: any loving job.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

CravingSolace posted:

For the secretary position, do you know how to use Excel? And it may not just be working the phones or doing data entry. My boss also has me run errands here and there (pick up office supplies, maybe a coffee run or whatnot), so are you good to do that, too? How many hours a week is the secretary position?

If you get the first job and it's only 10-15hrs per week, get a second job. And their BBB rating doesn't mean crap. Why did you even look that up? Did you look up the grill's rating?

The focus at this point should be: any loving job.
Well they linked the BBB article in the job ad. And yeah, I'm getting a second job for something like that where I can do at home. I had to work on spreadsheets in my internship so I'm confident I can work Excel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also looking into other places for jobs. That was just one of the several that I'm sharing with you guys.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
Did you even google Harvard Risk Management Corporation?

It's a pyramid scheme / pre-paid legal thing.

They're hiring you to pay them a fee to hire other people to pay fees that you'll get a small percentage of.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Jesus gently caress OP is the saddest human being ever.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

Well they linked the BBB article in the job ad.

No good company does this. It is basically them saying they look scammy but trying to prove they are not. Protip: They are.

This is not a real job.

Covered In Bees
Aug 22, 2003
Hey Benny i found a job on Inland Empire craigslist for you:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ofc/3721070490.html

You have dainty feet, right?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Well thanks for letting me know that they're a pyramid scheme. I'll make sure to ignore any call they give me.

Covered In Bees posted:

Hey Benny i found a job on Inland Empire craigslist for you:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ofc/3721070490.html

I'm actually a size 12. "Dainty" isn't the word I'd use.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 19, 2013

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Have you tried signing up for local temp agencies yet? Maybe that'll give you a chance to figure out what you're good at.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

Well thanks for letting me know that they're a pyramid scheme. I'll make sure to ignore any call they give me.
I'm actually a size 12. "Dainty" isn't the word I'd use.

Stop being so flip. Find a job. Any job. Find a coffee shop, ditch digging, lawn mowing this time of year.

If you can't find/keep a job right now, it's on you. If you can't find one by the end of April, seek therapy. There has to be something wrong.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Its fuckin hard to find jobs sometimes. I'm up on a year of being unemployed. This is becoming a new norm, seriously. Any job is hard to find and noone is actually hiring you if you have anything unorthodox in your history. I'm tired of people automatically assuming the worst of the unemployed. There's no question as to what is actually going on, he's already a lazy shitbag in many people's eyes.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Grognan posted:

Its fuckin hard to find jobs sometimes. I'm up on a year of being unemployed. This is becoming a new norm, seriously. Any job is hard to find and noone is actually hiring you if you have anything unorthodox in your history. I'm tired of people automatically assuming the worst of the unemployed. There's no question as to what is actually going on, he's already a lazy shitbag in many people's eyes.

How can you read this thread and say "its the economy?".

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Grognan posted:

The dude has found 2 jobs in the last month or so and was let go on day 1 for not keeping up. It may not be the rough economy this time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

natetimm posted:

:iiaca:
Mechanics know what they can get away with on their own cars. I guess something like that for Benny.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

kimbo305 posted:

:iiaca:
Mechanics know what they can get away with on their own cars. I guess something like that for Benny.
Something like that. By the way I applied for the leg model position. Thanks for the heads up, Covered in Bees :tipshat:

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.

Covered In Bees posted:

I think that was that other kid that had the dainty feet, Captain Walker.

As for you Benny, I'm not surprised you lost the cook job if you had zero experience. It's kind of a pain training someone in a busy kitchen. You ought to try being a server next time it's really not hard. You can make halfway decent money and it IS like the stock college age job so there is no shame in it. You would have enough to buy a car fairly quickly. Or what about this. Your mother is the only one working correct? Would she let you use her car at night to deliver pizzas? Does your father have a car? Tell me you have a drivers license.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Grognan posted:

You are silly and you didn't read the thread.

Benny if you don't learn anything else from your brief period of employment please learn you should never ever tell a seasoned employee that what they are doing is wrong and your method is better especially on your first day. I've seen folks fired for that as well and it's not that they were even wrong necessarily but the fact there is actually a reason things are done a certain way and if you are being that argumentative your first day there is no way you are going to get along with the other employees.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
A temp agency or workforce agency or whatever they're called in your area will get you a job very quickly, every time. You turn in your information and they'll offer you a job < 3 weeks later. It's really that simple. They're almost always low wage factory/assembly type jobs, sometimes restaurant jobs and one time I got a veterinarian technician job that way. If you haven't gone down that route you probably should.

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

razz posted:

A temp agency or workforce agency or whatever they're called in your area will get you a job very quickly, every time. You turn in your information and they'll offer you a job < 3 weeks later. It's really that simple. They're almost always low wage factory/assembly type jobs, sometimes restaurant jobs and one time I got a veterinarian technician job that way. If you haven't gone down that route you probably should.

He already did this, they got him a factory job and he blew it on day one. :allears:

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

cda posted:

Jesus gently caress OP is the saddest human being ever.

He shoulda used the towel instead of the tongs.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Chexmix posted:

He already did this, they got him a factory job and he blew it on day one. :allears:

What the gently caress. I must have missed that :bravo:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Soooooooo how about those greenhouses/garden centers?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

I need to see video of this man in action. It will reveal all, I'm convinced.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

toby posted:

Agreed. The only way to full understand Benny's predicament is to see what we're working with here.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

toby posted:

I firmly believe he could have his own show on TLC. We could watch him job hunt, fail on the first day, maybe a psychiatrist could be brought in to try to assist him, rinse and repeat.

Which I know sounds harsh, OP, but I've been rooting for you since day one and it's just been awful to see you failing in every post. And you sabotage yourself, whether you realize it or not.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
We need a repeat of that thread where people drew comics of EN threads. You could make one just from this guy's job stories.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

toby posted:

I've been reading this thread since day 1 (its been amazing), and he seems like a generic goony guy that intellectually knows he should be trying to do something with his life but doesn't particularly want to because he has a good setup. Remember this thread originally started because his mom insists on watching PG stuff on her TV when shes home and dislikes the OP's comic books.

Grandpas a Racist
Mar 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Also, last he heard he was in a blood feud with his brother. Never really heard what's up with that.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
benny, are you fat and out of shape at all? If you are in relavetivley good shape and don't have any mental problems on record enlisting might not be the worst idea. Granted it will suck for you at first. But it will probably either kill you or shock you into becoming an adult.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Jizznastics posted:

benny, are you fat and out of shape at all? If you are in relavetivley good shape and don't have any mental problems on record enlisting might not be the worst idea. Granted it will suck for you at first. But it will probably either kill you or shock you into becoming an adult.

The military is pretty selective at the moment aren't they?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Xenocides posted:

The military is pretty selective at the moment aren't they?

Yup. It took my friend a year to get into the Navy because they told him just to wait. That was two years ago or so.

I suspect between folks joining due to unemployment and sequestration, the line's pretty long and they have the pick of the litter.

That said, I'm sure some GiP members would have more useful input and/or a megathread.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Why have you not applied for the hundreds of freelance writing jobs out there? I mean it's not that hard. It's how I got started, except you have to pick a category you can confidently write about. Seriously. There is easy money to be made for you if you man up and actually want to use that English degree for something.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Devyl posted:

There is easy money to be made for you if you man up

Oh.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Devyl posted:

Why have you not applied for the hundreds of freelance writing jobs out there? I mean it's not that hard. It's how I got started, except you have to pick a category you can confidently write about. Seriously. There is easy money to be made for you if you man up and actually want to use that English degree for something.

Can you give any more information on this? I've never done any freelance writing and have no clue what the better sites and opportunities are, but I'm a pretty good technical writer, and in a few weeks I may have a "do nothing for 8 hours" kind of job that would allow me to do a decent bit of writing in my downtime.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Can you give any more information on this? I've never done any freelance writing and have no clue what the better sites and opportunities are, but I'm a pretty good technical writer, and in a few weeks I may have a "do nothing for 8 hours" kind of job that would allow me to do a decent bit of writing in my downtime.

Sure. I started freelance from a job posting on Facebook actually. I follow lots of car stuff and a few years back one magazine was looking for a freelance journalist for their online section. Not expecting to actually get the job, I applied. The editor at that time was pretty enthused & amused by my writing samples so I got the job. However, I've learned over the years from doing some freelance work with other companies that two of the best places to look for work are oDesk & Elance. As mentioned before, a lot of freelance writing is usually paid per piece. So don't expect to make lots of money right off the bat unless the company you write for wants lots of your material right away. A lot of times, editors will start you off slow if you're new to that company to see how you write; and then progressively ramp up how much you can submit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Devyl posted:

Why have you not applied for the hundreds of freelance writing jobs out there?

Because the kind of fellow over the age of eight who can't tell the difference between "lend" and "borrow" knows that no spelling or grammar checker on earth will save him from being bad at writing :(

"Mom had told Danny three weeks ago to lend the money from me to pay her."

Hyzenth1ay fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 20, 2013

• Locked thread