Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Major refused to let the vet put a new tampon in his face today so he has to wear a maxi pad instead. I have to wrestle him down, change his pad, and dump sugar in the wound as often as possible and hose it out in the shower once or twice a day. He spends the whole time flailing and screaming and making me feel terrible.

He just looks so betrayed now that I've turned into a dog torturing monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I spent too long staring at that photo, wondering where his ears went.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It has been a lovely week so I hesitate to do this but... I have to add Sadie's woes to the pile. An invisible barrier kept her from nomming the birds.

"Oh Woe is me"

Have a drat good weekend everyone.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, poor old Major. :( Get well soon, Freckledawg. At least he's got you to look after him, even if he doesn't appreciate it.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
gently caress all this sad stuff happening. :( I'm away at the moment and keenly missing my Gary hugs.

Get well soon Major.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

He spends the whole time flailing and screaming and making me feel terrible.

He just looks so betrayed now that I've turned into a dog torturing monster.

Just remember, you are helping him!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMeXGE_a8Gg

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That poor frecklehound looks like he has the worst toothache. :smith:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Fraction, Jess was a Good Dog and you are a Good Person. My condolences.

Also Major looks like he wants to murder so hard.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
I'm so sorry for your loss Fraction.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I just wish I knew what the hell caused this whole thing so I could keep it from happening again.
All his teeth are ok? My first guess after seeing those before photos is a tooth abscess.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'm going to go home to soooo many new doggies! My sister is meeting her potential new Aussie soon, and Aslan's folks just adopted a new buddy for him as well:

His name is Niles and he's a pug/beagle mix. Apparently he, Aslan, and my friends' little girl are already all desperately in love with each other.

I'm sad I don't get to snuggle all these new pooches yet.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. He's slowly getting better, although he managed to pull his tube out in one of the alligator wrestling sessions. The vet said to just keep it clean and covered and continue to hose it out and we'll see if he needs to be re-tubed when he goes for his second recheck on Monday.

He's starting to eat again! He hasn't had a full, normal meal since Monday but he wolfed down some gross smelly wet food this morning. And the swelling in his neck, chest and face is down although its still pretty large where the problem originally started under his jaw. He's such a good boy I just want him to be his normal self again.

Riiseli posted:

All his teeth are ok? My first guess after seeing those before photos is a tooth abscess.

That was the first thing the vet checked and he's got nothing more than dental tartar. When he was out for the surgery they checked his whole mouth, inside and out, and didn't see anything there. Best guess is that he stuck his head down a rabbit hole and got poked by something unpleasant and got crazy infected. One of the vets asked if my livestock have had caseous lymphadenitis because it causes mysterious abscesses but there's no indication that it is able to be transferred to dogs and none of the sheep or goats have ever had any signs of it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
This is Pistol's look of pure joy at the mere thought of a frisbee maybe being thrown for him in the near future.

"YAY FWITHBEEE"

I'd like to do frisbee sports with him but he's like one of those kids who flinches and puts their hands up over their face when you throw them a ball. He'll only catch it in mid-air if it's a gentle toss directly into his mouth :downs:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Does anyone need more kitty belly in their life? Because Sadie is more than happy to provide. Just remember: look but don't touch.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
"Lily is a Great Dane that has been blind since a bizarre medical condition required that she have both eyes removed. For the last 5 years, Maddison, another Great Dane, has been her sight."

http://twentytwowords.com/2011/10/24/a-dogs-seeing-eye-dog/

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Triangulum posted:

"Lily is a Great Dane that has been blind since a bizarre medical condition required that she have both eyes removed. For the last 5 years, Maddison, another Great Dane, has been her sight."

http://twentytwowords.com/2011/10/24/a-dogs-seeing-eye-dog/

http://www.astraean.com/borderwars/2012/07/no-happy-ending-for-blind-dane.html

No Happy Ending for Blind Great Dane posted:

Blind Great Dane turns on her guide dog companion

Blind Great Dane Lily is looking for a new home after attacking her guide dog.

The six-year-old and her companion, another Great Dane called Maddison, had been rehomed together after an appeal by the Dogs Trust.

They were adopted by Anne and Len Williams from Nantwich, Cheshire, but were returned to the charity’s home at Roden near Shrewsbury.

Mr and Mrs Williams will now keep Maddison, but Lily is at the dogs’ home because the two cannot be reconciled.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I would think the kindest thing in that situation would be to put the blind dog to sleep. :smith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

I would think the kindest thing in that situation would be to put the blind dog to sleep. :smith:

Lily was adopted to someone else and she's having a wonderful, happy, healthy life. Maddison is still with the original family that adopted her, unfortunately.

But it's nice to know you want to euthanize the blind dog because of convenience. Unless you really think it's kind to put her down just because she's blind.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
So much for sharing a cute story to cheer everyone up :smith:

I went to give Vecna his breakfast this morning and found the container I keep his kibble in like this

He figured out how to unlock it

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

It was lovely today and I was feeling restless so Lola walkies time.

We went to my friend's where she met his staffie, Stewie, for the second time. They got along pretty well, even if he was a little rough/over-interested in her.

Lola's been real good with other dogs today. I think she's lonely.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Lily was adopted to someone else and she's having a wonderful, happy, healthy life. Maddison is still with the original family that adopted her, unfortunately.

But it's nice to know you want to euthanize the blind dog because of convenience. Unless you really think it's kind to put her down just because she's blind.

It sounded like she was totally dependent on the other dog, and became aggressive toward her out of the blue. If couldn't get along anymore I expected her to not be able to function. But if someone took her in and was able to give her what she needed, then that's a happy ending.

After all my years in PI, do you really think I would put a dog to sleep for convenience? Frankly, I'm hurt.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I went to a dog charity benefit event today and I swear if I had known super's physical mailing address I would have bought and mailed the most :qq: pit bull rescue shirt I could find. It was for a good cause :byodame:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

A dog that appears to be a double merle with no eyesight, probably poo poo or no hearing, that is starting to display behavioral problems that might be due to an underlying neurological probem? How high do you think that dog's quality of life is? If people are willing to try to give the dog a chance, that's very kind of them, but given the dog's condition this is less about convenience and more about trying to care for the dog in the most humane way possible.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

It sounded like she was totally dependent on the other dog, and became aggressive toward her out of the blue. If couldn't get along anymore I expected her to not be able to function. But if someone took her in and was able to give her what she needed, then that's a happy ending.

She wasn't totally dependent at all, just not fully independent. The way it came off was "well if the blind dog is going to be a dick it can just die". So yeah, I clearly misread. :shobon: sorry.

wtftastic posted:

A dog that appears to be a double merle with no eyesight, probably poo poo or no hearing, that is starting to display behavioral problems that might be due to an underlying neurological probem? How high do you think that dog's quality of life is? If people are willing to try to give the dog a chance, that's very kind of them, but given the dog's condition this is less about convenience and more about trying to care for the dog in the most humane way possible.

She's not had any other issues, even towards strange dogs when they're introduced slowly. She's also had no health issues that are uncommon for danes to have last I heard, including neuro issues. The rescue just kind of shrugs at the whole Maddison/Lily thing these days because Maddison's family has always just said the same story over and over again and they don't really have any reason to go "You're liars!" at them. And I'm not necessarily saying they are, it could've just been that Lily was overwhelmed with the new place and freaked out at Maddison. But she hasn't freaked out, ever, with her new family. It raised a few brows when they were being talked about a lot, but speculation can only hurt Maddison and the rescue in the long run. But last I'd heard, Lily's a happy mutt.

She's a double merle from some idiotic breeder who did those pups something terrible, but that doesn't mean she should automatically be slated for euthanization just because of a disability. :psyduck:

E: That is a lot of words about a dumb dog that I don't even own. :saddowns: I care too much about danetalk.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
I have to start apartment hunting soon as it sounds like there's a serious buyer for the place I'm renting atm. Not looking forward to trying to find something affordable. I understand perfectly well why my landlord wants to sell, but it will be though to match even my previous situation price wise. This is even cheaper, but comes with an extended commute.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
Wombat and pups are doing well :dance:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wombat? Did I miss something?

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

McDragon posted:

Wombat? Did I miss something?

Wombat is a beagle, my aunt and uncle have a kennel of beagles, we breed puppies every summer, Wombat had three puppies a couple of days ago :)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I see. Good for her and her puppies then. :3: I thought you meant a marsupial for a minute there.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Yesterday a group of people came into the store with rats sitting on their shoulders and climbing around in their sweaters. Of course one got loose, ran away and hasn't been seen since. Would it be irony if they had brought their rats in to find tiny rat leash and harnesses, and in the process the rat escaped?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Fat Dio posted:

Yesterday a group of people came into the store with rats sitting on their shoulders and climbing around in their sweaters. Of course one got loose, ran away and hasn't been seen since. Would it be irony if they had brought their rats in to find tiny rat leash and harnesses, and in the process the rat escaped?

I don't understand people who bring rodents into pet stores. They're just asking for trouble. Leave them at home!

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
This is at one of my local shelters and is listed as a chihuahua mix. I hope nobody is intentionally breeding chi mixes into "tough dawgs". Just look at that chest ugh.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Aravenna posted:

This is at one of my local shelters and is listed as a chihuahua mix. I hope nobody is intentionally breeding chi mixes into "tough dawgs". Just look at that chest ugh.

Mixing pits and chis throws some weird pups it looks like.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Sheila can't have her super fun feathery cat wand, because she entered into some weird feather-sucking phase, and we're afraid she'll start eating them.

On the note of feathers, she's also absolutely terrified of mourning doves and the little anoles that like to jump at the window and startle her.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Aravenna posted:

It looks like the hellspawn lovechild of Frankie, Lucy and an American Bully.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

It looks like its head is way to small for that body. Are we sure this isn't a chi in a Bull suit.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

notsowelp posted:

Wombat is a beagle, my aunt and uncle have a kennel of beagles, we breed puppies every summer, Wombat had three puppies a couple of days ago :)

Have you visited the pups and taken pics for us yet?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hey, Super, you never told us Moses was going to be in a videogame. :3:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

McDragon posted:

You saw that thing about the Starbound pets as well? I went "Waaaait a minute" when I saw that.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Hi, everyone! I mostly lurk because dorms = no pets that can't live above water, but a group I'm in borrows pound dogs and takes them to community events to promote awareness.
We went to a farmer's market yesterday, so I thought I would share some pictures.

This boy is absolutely gorgeous. It was his first day at the pound and he is absolutely perfectly behaved. He leans on you if he likes you, which scared some of the very little kids. He has a docked tail, which looks really strange since there is so much fur hanging from it.

Dixie, the stray. She was best friends with another dog that I didn't a picture of. He is supposedly a cocker spaniel, but he was super nice which I thought cockers aren't know for. He's been returned twice because he plays rough with cats and peed in a house. Once. People...

The basset hound guy was there. He was SO EXCITED to talk about this 10 year old dog, it was adorable. He said the dog was from a puppy mill shutting down and is a French basset, so he doesn't drag on the ground. I found them about two miles away an hour later, happily walking along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

McDragon posted:

Haha yeah. Rho (uhhh Gay 4 Marbelz now I guess or whatever her name got changed to) is my partner so she put pin in the game. :3:

• Locked thread